Willie Mobley

Too bad Hassan Lipscomb and Walker Ashley don't also play for NMSU.

It's been proven time and again on this board and out in the real world that I'm a complete buffoon, but does anyone else see a problem with the first paragraph of the story:

"When Willie Mobley picked Ohio State over the Gophers five years ago, it seemed as if he were on a path to greatness blazed by fellow Eden Prairie standout James Laurinaitis, who moved from the Buckeyes to the NFL."

Did Wee Willie Mobley ever play for the Gophers? Good luck wherever he is. :horse:

Willie could have been a Goper. But............................. nuff said.

Laurenitis played for Wayzata, not EP.
Thank you. And it's not like it's buried somewhere deep in the story, it's the first paragraph. And the writer and the editor had no idea. Looks like the story's been amended now, probably after an angry Wayzata grad sent Fuller a tweet.

Typical Minnesota journalism: find the Minnesota angle in every story.

I assure you, if there was a New Mexico native on the Gophers, the NM papers would be writing the same article. Local media always tries to find local angles...it's not exclusive to MN no matter what Barreiro wants you to think.

I assure you, if there was a New Mexico native on the Gophers, the NM papers would be writing the same article. Local media always tries to find local angles...it's not exclusive to MN no matter what Barreiro wants you to think.

No kidding. When lived out in L.A. during the 80's. Seemed like nearly every time the Twins and Tom Brunansky came to town one of the local papers would do a story on "Covina's" Tom Burnansky, and there are about 22 million people living in So Cal!

I don't know if girl-about-town columnist Barbara Flanagan is still alive, but I swear that if a celebrity ever had a long lay-over at the airport, they immediately became a Minnesotan in her eyes.

Too bad Hassan Lipscomb and Walker Ashley don't also play for NMSU.

It's always curious to me why guys like Mobley and Henderson get compared to guys like Lipscomb and Ashley.

Lipscomb and Ashley did absolutely NOTHING in college football.

Mobley is a guy who got his degree, played quite a bit at Arizona and now looks to play quite a bit at New Mexico (while getting his Masters).

How can you compare him to Walker Ashley, Lipscomb or Sam Maresh?

Man I was ecstatic when Maresh committed. It's a shame he wasted that talent. He was such a feel good story coming back from his heart condition that it just seemed like he was destined for great things.

Top Bottom