Line Spacing

TNGophfan

Reaction score
This is a question for Husker or anyone else expert on o-line play. Line spacing seems pretty tight. What are the advantages and disadvantages of going to wider spacing on the 0-line?

Thanks,

It really depends on the play. In general, if you're running short yardage and need a bigger push up front, you shorten the splits. It reduces the chance that a DL can split a block and stop the play, and makes the line more like a rugby scrum. Just a big push. But if you're running a zone blocking scheme, wider splits help, because they space out the d-line more, creating a little extra space for cutback lanes. For the Gophs, I'd expect the splits pretty tight when we're in the Maryland-I, and a little wider during read options.

It really depends on the play. In general, if you're running short yardage and need a bigger push up front, you shorten the splits. It reduces the chance that a DL can split a block and stop the play, and makes the line more like a rugby scrum. Just a big push. But if you're running a zone blocking scheme, wider splits help, because they space out the d-line more, creating a little extra space for cutback lanes. For the Gophs, I'd expect the splits pretty tight when we're in the Maryland-I, and a little wider during read options.

Makes sense. Thanks SOTV.

Top Bottom