Week one Grades

upnorthkid

Reaction score
I'm working on procrastinating on studying for a test so here's my ranks.

Offense- D

Overall really lackluster effort against an opponent that we should've overmatched at every turn. only 320 total yards (and yes I know its lower due to the defensive and ST scores) with less than 100 passing is totally unacceptable against a team like UNLV. passing wise, Nelson really struggled with accuracy, especially on the longer throws. the o line really didn't assert their will as there was little running room quite often. take out the 2 long runs where there were assignment errors by unlv and we have about 100 yards on 36 carries. not good numbers. we will have to work on this and I expect us to come out harder and better next week.

Defense C

Only reason they get a C is for the turnovers. Unlv had 419 yards that was pretty evenly distributed. seemed as though we were out of position on several big plays (Cornett TD, 4th down TD). and come on with the 4th down conversions. 4-4 is brutal. minus the big plays we did pretty decent against the run but those plays need to be cleaned up. against the pass, i don't know if this was coaching scheme or what, but we just kept giving them every 6 7 8 yard route they wanted. we tackled very well as a team but it looked far too easy for unlv at times.

Special Teams B+

Would've been an A, but YOU CAN'T MISS XPS. ever!

Coaching D

Offensive calls were unimaginative. clock management at end of 1st half was really bizarre to me with the spike. defense didn't adjust to short passing game when it was apparent they couldn't go deep on us.

My game balls go to:

Off- Maxx Williams. hell of a grab when we needed one for momentum boost. seemed to block well as well.
Def- Damien Wilson. good to a see a lb that likes the contact. was tempted to go with Boddy (who played very well as well) but we needed Wilson's performance more.
ST- Marcus Jones- return TD seemed to spark up the whole team and its been a long long while since I've seen us have one.

Overall C-

Nice to get a win. but that was by far the ugliest 52 point outing i have ever seen.

Bring on NMSU.

Top Bottom