UNLV Gameday: Inside the Rebels Season Opener

Iceland12

Reaction score
From the Las Vegas Sun

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/aug/29/unlv-minnesota-gameday-inside-rebels-2013-season-o/

THREE STORYLINES

1. UNLV is healthy

This may seem obvious since it’s the first game but it’s not always easy to get through spring and fall camps with everyone intact. The Rebels didn’t get here only because of luck.

UNLV coach Bobby Hauck said the team made a concerted effort to do fewer live reps, especially in the fall. The Rebels got most of their work in during spring and then focused on smaller things throughout fall workouts.

Hauck said they could take it easier in the last month both because they front-loaded a lot of work in spring and the experience up and down the roster. There are two new coordinators but the system is mostly the same and the team brings back 19 starters and plenty of backups.

That decision may have led to UNLV’s health right now. However, if the Rebels go out against the Gophers and miss a bunch of tackles — without live reps they haven’t done much live tackling — then the plan may have been for naught.

2. Rebels likely missing a couple of Keys

Brothers Kenny and Kendal Keys are not expected to play in UNLV’s opener.

Kenny Keys is a sophomore defensive back who last year started at safety in five games and appeared in every game. Hauck said he's dealing with a personal issue.

His younger brother, Kendal Keys, only recently joined the Rebels as a true freshman. The receiver had originally committed to Boise State before changing his mind and landing with the Rebels during fall camp. Kendal Keys has not been academically cleared.

The timeline for both of their returns is uncertain.

3. Jerry Kill’s rule of threes

Hauck’s third year, last season, was supposed to be the breakout year. In other words, he was trying to pull a Kill.

Kill, who’s entering his third year as Minnesota’s coach, has won 10 games in Year Three at each of his previous two stops. At Southern Illinois from 2001-03 he went 1-10, 4-8 and then 10-2. At Northern Illinois from 2008-10 he duplicated the feat by going from 6-7 and 7-6 to 10-3 in his third season.

The Gophers went 3-9 in Kill’s first year and 6-7 last season, which ended with a Meineke Car Care Bowl loss to Texas Tech. Few are picking Minnesota to win 10 games this year, but an improvement sure seems likely.

Key Matchup

Minnesota QB Phillip Nelson vs. UNLV’s secondary

This could also read Nelson vs. UNLV’s defense since the defensive line and linebackers can also play a large role in pass defense, but that doesn’t get at the real intrigue here.

Is the backend of UNLV’s defense any better? That’s the real question worth asking right now. Minnesota’s MarQueis Gray was hardly a great passer yet he went for 269 yards in last year’s meeting, and not much of that came in the three overtimes.

Nelson is a better passer and could also be the fastest player on the team, at least if you believe Hauck. UNLV is going to see several quarterbacks better than Nelson this year so if the sophomore picks about the Rebels’ secondary — especially on simple routes — then this group could be in for another long year.

Over/Under: 1.5 UNLV turnovers

You have to budget for some first-game jitters. UNLV might be able to survive one giveaway but two may be too much in a game that could be out of reach even if they play well.

Stats and trends in UNLV’s favor: The Gophers’ quarterback corps is the second youngest and most inexperienced (seven games) group in the country … UNLV is won three of its last four games played before Labor Day … Minnesota’s defense last year allowed 172 rushing yards per game.

Stats and trends in Minnesota’s favor: The Gophers are 10-3-1 in season-opening games the year after they played in a bowl game … Leading rusher Donnell Kirkwood has carried the ball 249 straight times with committing a turnover … This is Minnesota’s first season opener at TCF Bank Stadium, which opened in 2009.

That’s what he said: “It behooves you to get a few.” —Hauck on creating turnovers

Nelson the fastest player on the team?

Coach Speak. Go figure.:rolleyes:

Yeah that made me chuckle too. Guess Coach Hauck must want his Defense to be REALLY wary of Nelson taking-off! :)

I don't sense a lot of optimism for the up coming season in that story from a UNLV standpoint and understandably so based on where they have been the past few years.

I just hope we can get off to a fast start tonight and not give them any reason to think they have a shot.

I don't think we should overlook them... it took 3 overtimes to beat what basically became a 2-11 team last Season...

I don't think we should overlook them... it took 3 overtimes to beat what basically became a 2-11 team last Season...

As a program we are not in a position to overlook anyone. If we play the way we should be able to this game should not be in doubt, but as we see every year, poor execution, turnovers, mental errors can make even the most lopsided matchup into a battle.

Rebels Could Get A Big Head Start

Not THIS week but still. ;)

The outcome of UNLV’s football season — and of coach Bobby Hauck’s future — should quickly become crystal clear.

UNLV, after opening at Minnesota at 4 p.m. PDT today and then against Arizona at Sam Boyd Stadium, faces a four-game stretch in which it might be favored each week.

The Rebels can’t waste those opportunities against Central Michigan, Western Illinois, New Mexico and Hawaii. The New Mexico game is the only one on the road.

If the Rebels don’t defeat those teams, they will be in big trouble because their schedule becomes considerably tougher in the second half.

It’s a big stretch of games for Hauck, too. He enters his fourth season 6-32 with the Rebels, and even though the identity of UNLV’s next athletic director is still unknown, the general assumption is Hauck must show noticeable improvement after three consecutive two-victory seasons...

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/football/unlv-preview-rebels-can-get-big-head-start

I expect them to come out and try and run the ball with Cornett. Stop the run and make Sherry beat you on 3rd and long and we should handle them. If we allow Cornett to gain yardage like he did last year the game could be close.

Run D will be the biggest key to the season IMO.

As a program we are not in a position to overlook anyone. If we play the way we should be able to this game should not be in doubt, but as we see every year, poor execution, turnovers, mental errors can make even the most lopsided matchup into a battle.

I completely agree...

1. UNLV is healthy

This may seem obvious since it’s the first game but it’s not always easy to get through spring and fall camps with everyone intact. The Rebels didn’t get here only because of luck.

UNLV coach Bobby Hauck said the team made a concerted effort to do fewer live reps, especially in the fall. The Rebels got most of their work in during spring and then focused on smaller things throughout fall workouts.

Hauck said they could take it easier in the last month both because they front-loaded a lot of work in spring and the experience up and down the roster. There are two new coordinators but the system is mostly the same and the team brings back 19 starters and plenty of backups.

That decision may have led to UNLV’s health right now. However, if the Rebels go out against the Gophers and miss a bunch of tackles — without live reps they haven’t done much live tackling — then the plan may have been for naught.

This is basically the opposite of what a good coach would do.

This is basically the opposite of what a good coach would do.

I'd been reading that throughout fall camp for the Rebels and I thought it was a pretty risky strategy. If it backfires on Hauck,.... Ouch!!

I'm going to do my best to listen to the local Vegas radio sports guys both before and after the game. It should be entertaining, to say the least.

It is a long season so you might as well enjoy it. I know you are a fan and you are just expressing your concerns. The way I look at it, it will be what it will be. I have a great deal of confidence in Kill's ability to prepare this team for a game. But to each his own.

I off to the game. Go Gophers!

It is a long season so you might as well enjoy it. I know you are a fan and you are just expressing your concerns. The way I look at it, it will be what it will be. I have a great deal of confidence in Kill's ability to prepare this team for a game. But to each his own.

I off to the game. Go Gophers!
+1 Can't wait to get there.

Go Gophers!!!

Top Bottom