Rochester Post Bulletin: If defense gets worse, we may not see Year 4 of Jerry Kill

Maybe the writer filed the article through the postal service back in 2010 and it was lost in the mail until this week, and a lazy Editor just updated the names by mistake and published it now?

Maybe the writer filed the article through the postal service back in 2010 and it was lost in the mail until this week, and a lazy Editor just updated the names by mistake and published it now?

Always thought you might be a writer. It's always the editor's fault. :cool:

Only an 0-8 Conference mark would insure that he would be bought out and fired within a couple of year period. NO football head coach at the U of M in modern history has survived a zero win conference mark for more than a few seasons following. Should Coach Kill go 0-8 in 2013, he would have a conference record of 4 wins and 20 losses headed into an EXTREMELY difficult 2014 campaign. That is why I am just going to go into this season feeling very strongly that Coach Kill, his staff and my Golden Gopher Football Team will win at least three Conference games in 2013 and that they will be invited to a bowl game and that they will be very competitive in their bowl game. I am allowing myself no thought other than that script. Because, a dumpster of a year could have such negative implications for the next decade. I really will fight to support Coach Kill even if a lot of YOU people start calling for his head. We need Coach kill to have a successful and a long tenure here...as long as he WANTS to be here at Minnesota in order to insure that my Golden Gopher Football Team will be competitive within the conference for as LONG as I hope to be attending games! And, just maybe, he and his staff and my Golden Gopher Football Team will have a magical season or two during that time.

I need Coach Kill and my team to have a competitive and a FUN 2013 Football Season that will end in a nice Bowl Game! Go Gophers!

; 0 )

Remember to focus on the Conference record in Hoops during the 2013/2014 first year for the new coach. Tubby always did pretty well during the OOC Schedule...but...it was that darn conference record that brought him down. Sorry, I don't automatically crown some new coach as a "savior" until I get a chance to see how he...she does within the conference. And, believe me, the jury is STILL out on our new Norwood. I haven't seen massive funds raised....I haven't seen tons of Conference games won...and...there are still attendance woes in both football and hoops. Our new Norwood has been here for a couple of years...the dude is starting to pick up a bit of a track record. So far, I haven't seen too much, other than all the assistants he brought with him from VCU and the fact that they "paid back" the former ad by hiring him after he supposedly retired. We will see this fall what he does to improve Saturday Game Day Environment at TCF BANK STADIUM... So, two years down and we haven't seen so much. How many years does an AD need before he gets all his own players and starts being judged by what he/she has done and not what he/she fancies him/herself to be good at...

; 0 )

A more creditable headline. Offense must get better for Kill's future to be secure. Seems to be hard for the media to even do a little homework.

This is a lazy article, it's just trying to sell some papers attempting to stir up a phony idea that Kill is on the hot seat. The defense was not the problem last season. The offense only scored more than 17 points in a Big Ten game once last season. The Gophers gave up 396 points in 2010 in 12 games. In Kill's first season, the Gophers gave up 380 points in 12 games. In 2012, the Gophers gave up 321 points in 13 games. That's an improvement of 59 points, without even figuring in that the Gophers played 13 games. Through the regular season, 2012 gave up 93 points less than they did in 2011.

The 2009 Gophers gave up less points than the 2012 Gophers (309 to 321), but before that, you have to go all the way back to 2004 for a Gophers team that gave up less points.

Warren Buffet loves local newspapers and believes there will always be a place for them. They report the local news and provide places for local advertising of merchandise AND JOBS...And, for the near term and into the future, Rochester will have a growing, vibrant economy. The Mayo Clinic drives the engine as the State's largest employer. The service economy grows and thrives with the clinic. There is a good work force to draw from. There are bedroom growing communities that help to provide affordable housing opportunities for the wide range of Clinic and service economy jobs in Rochester and also provide advertising and classified business for the Post Bulletin. I agree, the Post Bulletin is most certainly a decent paper that provides much value added content for citizens of Rochester and the surrounding communities.

Heck. the small town local papers even provide great services and distribute the local news and word of local merchandise for sale and job opportunities for people in Outstate Minnesota.

Some of you people suffer from "urbanitis maximus impacticus overinflateimous" syndrome. You think the world begins and ends in the urban sprawl. Not so people. There is life around some of the Regional Areas such as the FM Area, St. Cloud, Duluth and Rochester, Other areas such as Mankato and a few other places do all right for themselves too. Forgive me for missing some of the other GREAT regional and more rural areas. There is a LOT of life outside Minneapolis and St. Paul...a heck of a lot of GOOD life...The local rags in the Twin Cities that push opinions and also provide local news and job opportunities and hawk local merchants wares are NOT the alpha and omega of havens for the "ink-stained-wretches" who toil for the urban dwellers and the internet versions of their advertising and classified sections under the guise of sports opinion writers and beat reporters...

; 0 )

Good one wren. And thanks to referring to us as 'outstate' Minnesota.

I often wondered why the common expression changed from 'outstate Minnesota' to 'greater Minnesota'. Does that make the metro area 'lesser Minnesota'?

That, and it kept our defense on the field way too long.

This is what I thought also, Gophers have no chance if the offense can't sustain some drives whether points are scored or not, actually defense is the one thing that gives me hope for the future, I think it is better than it ever was under Mason or Brewsters short time here.

Like everything else in town, it exists because of the Mayo Clinic.

That's like saying "If there wasn't so much snow and if it wasn't so cold ... Minnesota would be a great place to spend the winter."

Kill has a seven year contract. He will not be fired after three years.

End of story.

I pray that you are right but I am afraid it may be "The Never Ending Story." But I suspect what you were trying to point out is what you just did. Besides, what would wren do? His world consists of three things, i.e. firing coaches (including why Glen shouldn't have been fired), Big Ten wins, and athletic administrators. If you ever watch Being There you will swear that wren has modeled himself after the character Chance from Being There.

NO football head coach at the U of M in modern history has survived a zero win conference mark for more than a few seasons following.

Guess it depends on what you mean by "modern" and "a few", but Doc Williams continued for 14 seasons after his first zero win conference mark.

I agree with you on the part about him not getting fired this year however if the season is a dumpster fire (talking 0-8, 1-7) it could happen. I have said it before, don't underestimate the influence of a new AD, one who has had no issues firing people in the department and who did not hire the current head coach. I honestly believe NT will give Kill at least 4 years to prove he has things on the upswing but if the record backslides this year I would not be shocked to see him pull the trigger.

Kill has a tough row to hoe the next three seasons - the coaching staff will have to pull a few miracles to get to bowl games. Adding TCU doesn't help (like adding USC recently - two predictable losses).

I just find it crazy that Rochester has its own newspaper. Is it something you have to pay for, or is it just a community rag like the Sun Sailor?

???

I don't know much about the quality of the Post-Bulletin but Rochester has a population of 108,000 plus suburbs. There are many, many smaller cities with their own dailies.

Having worked a media room with both Ben (Pherson) and Jason (Feldman), having been a subscriber to the P-B, and having been interviewed by (Pherson) a number of times, I can tell you (IMO) that Pherson is the better writer of the two and has more of a niche in football, wrestling, and MMA. Feldman seems to follow hockey more and has it as his niche. They started "Faceoff" column hopes people around the area would follow an online blog and offer their opinions. I don't think it ever took off the way they had hoped.

The post bulletin doesn't deserve any attention. These guys have probably never attended a Gopher Football game EVER and have no idea what they're talking about. A deletion has occurred.

The post bulletin doesn't deserve any attention. These guys have probably never attended a Gopher Football game EVER and have no idea what they're talking about. A deletion has occurred.

Ben is a football guy and I believe he has attended games. Feldy is an ice hockey and stock car racing writer.

The defense was decent last year. I think it is possible to be better this year in points allowed!

Kill has a tough row to hoe the next three seasons - the coaching staff will have to pull a few miracles to get to bowl games. Adding TCU doesn't help (like adding USC recently - two predictable losses).

TCU went 7-6 last year. They've had some very good seasons but until they are consistently very good in a BCS conference, you can't compare them to USC.

TCU went 7-6 last year. They've had some very good seasons but until they are consistently very good in a BCS conference, you can't compare them to USC.

Agree. TCU is a quality/legit non-conference opponent but they are not in the same class as USC on a yearly basis. Would consider them far more comparable to the North Carolina's of the world. Definitely will be a tough test but not a guaranteed loss by any stretch of the imagination.

This thread has popped into my mind a few times over the past couple days. How do you write something like this about a defense that over the past two years, has gone from giving up 31.7 ppg to 24.7? 403.1 total ypg to 358.6? 19 sacks to 26? 9 take aways to 20? Sheesh.

This thread has popped into my mind a few times over the past couple days. How do you write something like this about a defense that over the past two years, has gone from giving up 31.7 ppg to 24.7? 403.1 total ypg to 358.6? 19 sacks to 26? 9 take aways to 20? Sheesh.

I agree. I think it all boils down to what fits the narrative and the notion that we have and will improve does not.

Here is my two cents;

With few exceptions, coaches should get a minimum of 4 years (one full recruiting cycle.) However; if this goes south this season, more than likely Kill will be replaced for several reasons.

First and foremost the current AD's number one (and two) job is successful football then basketball programs. The football program brings a ton of money that funds a plethora of programs outside of the football program.

The people who donate money want a successful football program and the the current hire was not the current AD's choice. Also; with a reasonable coaches search Kill would not be difficult to upgrade (ie a coach with a proven track record at a big school level.) The previous search by a lame duck President and AD led to no coach with other options (at this level) wanting to touch this job.

The people who know (coaching community) agree that coach Kill is a solid coach with a proven track record (at a lower level.) The question is can he recruit at this level? The key players (most) on his first two teams have been Brewster recruits (which is understandable.) Should there be a significant drop off this year red flags will most certainly arise.

Kill's seven year contract? Won't mean a thing if Boosters are convinced Norwood can get an exciting name.

Do I think Kill should be fired? Unless he appears to have lost control or is in way over his head I think you give him his 4 seasons....all 4, not fire him during the season. One extra year won't matter and in fact I believe it will help in a coaches search if coaches believe they will get 4 years (especially when it comes to hiring a staff who work on one year contracts).

Here is my two cents;

With few exceptions, coaches should get a minimum of 4 years (one full recruiting cycle.) However; if this goes south this season, more than likely Kill will be replaced for several reasons.

First and foremost the current AD's number one (and two) job is successful football then basketball programs. The football program brings a ton of money that funds a plethora of programs outside of the football program.

The people who donate money want a successful football program and the the current hire was not the current AD's choice. Also; with a reasonable coaches search Kill would not be difficult to upgrade (ie a coach with a proven track record at a big school level.) The previous search by a lame duck President and AD led to no coach with other options (at this level) wanting to touch this job.

The people who know (coaching community) agree that coach Kill is a solid coach with a proven track record (at a lower level.) The question is can he recruit at this level? The key players (most) on his first two teams have been Brewster recruits (which is understandable.) Should there be a significant drop off this year red flags will most certainly arise.

Kill's seven year contract? Won't mean a thing if Boosters are convinced Norwood can get an exciting name.

Do I think Kill should be fired? Unless he appears to have lost control or is in way over his head I think you give him his 4 seasons....all 4, not fire him during the season. One extra year won't matter and in fact I believe it will help in a coaches search if coaches believe they will get 4 years (especially when it comes to hiring a staff who work on one year contracts).

Coach Kill will be the coach next year no matter what. Accept it and move on.

Here is my two cents;

Let's just keep playing musical chairs.

The only B1G coach in jeopardy after the 2013 season will be Tim Beckman. He's in over his head. Maybe Ferentz if he doesn't finish above .500, but he has a nice golden parachute if the Hawkeye AD decides to bring in some new blood.

The only B1G coach in jeopardy after the 2013 season will be Tim Beckman. He's in over his head. Maybe Ferentz if he doesn't finish above .500, but he has a nice golden parachute if the Hawkeye AD decides to bring in some new blood.

I think Pelini might be on the seat after the embarrassing loss to WI last year and the fact that their fans have higher expectations.

Coach Kill will be the coach next year no matter what. Accept it and move on.

+1 Sportsfan24 certainly had and has a different perspective of Kill. It is a very personal perspective which is fine but as you stated "Accept it and move on." I did have to laugh though when I saw this recent post. He was an active poster before but he implied that his wife and his son Kim were not necessarily happy with that. He then disappeared. With his return now I wonder if his wife is out of town.:) He was always was interesting and hard to pin down. I really appreciated it when I asked him if his perspective was based on what Kim went through. He was very honest and said yes. He had a lot to do with how Kim's injury was handled and Kill's support of him in reaching his goal of playing in the NFL.

I think Pelini might be on the seat after the embarrassing loss to WI last year and the fact that their fans have higher expectations.

Good point, I neglected Bo. 9-win seasons don't cut the mustard in Lincoln, for sure.

Here is my two cents;

This is not the hot seat year for Coach Kill. However, the results of this year could put him on the hot seat for next year.

+1 Sportsfan24 certainly had and has a different perspective of Kill. It is a very personal perspective which is fine but as you stated "Accept it and move on." I did have to laugh though when I saw this recent post. He was an active poster before but he implied that his wife and his son Kim were not necessarily happy with that. He then disappeared. With his return now I wonder if his wife is out of town.:) He was always was interesting and hard to pin down. I really appreciated it when I asked him if his perspective was based on what Kim went through. He was very honest and said yes. He had a lot to do with how Kim's injury was handled and Kill's support of him in reaching his goal of playing in the NFL.

Yup. Glad that 24 is back. I often don't agree with him, but I like his posts. I think I could really enjoy having a cold one with him, and getting to know him better. Not something that I can say for all the posters here.

Top Bottom