Rochester Post Bulletin: If defense gets worse, we may not see Year 4 of Jerry Kill

I just find it crazy that Rochester has its own newspaper. Is it something you have to pay for, or is it just a community rag like the Sun Sailor?

It's not a one horse town

Almost every city over 2,000 has a newspaper

Four pages on a paper with less circulation than the Anoka County Shopper.

+1 Sportsfan24 certainly had and has a different perspective of Kill. It is a very personal perspective which is fine but as you stated "Accept it and move on." I did have to laugh though when I saw this recent post. He was an active poster before but he implied that his wife and his son Kim were not necessarily happy with that. He then disappeared. With his return now I wonder if his wife is out of town.:) He was always was interesting and hard to pin down. I really appreciated it when I asked him if his perspective was based on what Kim went through. He was very honest and said yes. He had a lot to do with how Kim's injury was handled and Kill's support of him in reaching his goal of playing in the NFL.

It sounds as though you are questioning Sportsfan24's take on Coach Kill. Why?

It sounds as though you are questioning Sportsfan24's take on Coach Kill. Why?

wren - I am not and was not questioning sportfan24 take on Kill. As I pointed out above his perspective is a personal one. It "had a lot to do with how Kim's injury was handled and Kill's support of him in reaching his goal of playing in the NFL." I thought that was pretty clear but if it isn't let me know and I will try to answer your question.

wren - I am not and was not questioning sportfan24 take on Kill. As I pointed out above his perspective is a personal one. It "had a lot to do with how Kim's injury was handled and Kill's support of him in reaching his goal of playing in the NFL." I thought that was pretty clear but if it isn't let me know and I will try to answer your question.

You say he had a personal perspective, yet, it seemed to me he only presented a few reasons why the Athletic Director might take steps to terminate Coach Kill's contract sooner rather than later. I have seen many other posters mention some of the same points that Sportfan24 mentioned. Do you believe you have some personal insight about one of your fellow posters? Was it really appropriate for you to make a bold comment about your hunch about another poster's perspective? It seemed like an attempt to somehow discount the spirit in which another poster shared his view. Just an observation...I didn't see him mention his wife or son in this post. Why did you bring them into this thread?

; 0 )

You say he had a personal perspective, yet, it seemed to me he only presented a few reasons why the Athletic Director might take steps to terminate Coach Kill's contract sooner rather than later. I have seen many other posters mention some of the same points that Sportfan24 mentioned. Do you believe you have some personal insight about one of your fellow posters? Was it really appropriate for you to make a bold comment about your hunch about another poster's perspective? It seemed like an attempt to somehow discount the spirit in which another poster shared his view. Just an observation...I didn't see him mention his wife or son in this post. Why did you bring them into this thread?

; 0 )

LOL - I see you are back to your same old tricks, i.e. trying to make the conversation about your ongoing agenda. I think short ornery Norwegian said it best when he pointed out that you claim to all about free speech but your not. Your about your agenda and nothing else. The best part was when shorty pointed out to you all of your inconsistencies you tried a new approach. You tried to tell him that you were really a nice guy and shorty would really like you because you were both Norwegians. Well both shorty and I did get to know you when came over to Strib blog and drove us and several other people away with the help of Pantherhawk. You aren't about free speech wren your about your agenda.

LOL - I see you are back to your same old tricks, i.e. trying to make the conversation about your ongoing agenda. I think short ornery Norwegian said it best when he pointed out that you claim to all about free speech but your not. Your about your agenda and nothing else. The best part was when shorty pointed out to you all of your inconsistencies you tried a new approach. You tried to tell him that you were really a nice guy and shorty would really like you because you were both Norwegians. Well both shorty and I did get to know you when came over to Strib blog and drove us and several other people away with the help of Pantherhawk. You aren't about free speech wren your about your agenda.

I have no opinions about anything. I engage no one in any thing. I don't defend. I am removing myself from any kind of potential conflict because that is what I have been instructed to do...

; 0 )

I have no opinions about anything. I engage no one in any thing. I don't defend. I am removing myself from any kind of potential conflict because that is what I have been instructed to do...

; 0 )

If this is true you wouldn't post on this site anymore.

Sounds like an opinion to me.

Check the times and dates. A few hours can make a huge difference. Some people were born on third and think they hit a triple. It is a wise man who can read the writing on the wall and can make changes needed for survival. It's all good...Someone else makes the rules and the rules don't have to be the same for everyone...and so it goes...

; 0 )

If this is true you wouldn't post on this site anymore.

"...compliance...not defiance...the season kicks off in three days..." I have no complaints. Life is very, very good. I'll be in the house in beautiful TCF BANK STADIUM on Thursday evening cheering my Golden Gopher Football team on! There is no point worrying about anything with the seasons about to open...wouldn't you agree Mr./MS. Gopherpride13. I don't want to assume anything Mr./Ms. Gopherpride13...

And now, this happy Golden Gopher Fan has things to do...so I'll be moving on along. Be back later. See you!

; 0 )

Wren, there is absolutely no need to question coach Kill's tenure or contract at the U. Let' get through the season and see what happens.

The only B1G coach in jeopardy after the 2013 season will be Tim Beckman. He's in over his head. Maybe Ferentz if he doesn't finish above .500, but he has a nice golden parachute if the Hawkeye AD decides to bring in some new blood.

I'm guessing Ferentz is gone unless he pulls a 7-5 + Bowl. They could easily lose two NC games (pick from No. Ill, West Mch, or ISU. They should beat Mo. St.), and their B1G is at Min, MSU, at OSU, NW, Wis, at Pur, Mch, at Neb. Try to pick 7 wins from that schedule. Not one gimmee.

I'm guessing Ferentz is gone unless he pulls a 7-5 + Bowl. They could easily lose two NC games (pick from No. Ill, West Mch, or ISU. They should beat Mo. St.), and their B1G is at Min, MSU, at OSU, NW, Wis, at Pur, Mch, at Neb. Try to pick 7 wins from that schedule. Not one gimmee.

On merit alone, I agree that Ferentz probably deserves to be fired if he doesn't win 7-8 including a bowl win. But I just don't see any way they swallow a $15-17 MM cost just to bring in a new coach.

Here is my two cents;

With few exceptions, coaches should get a minimum of 4 years (one full recruiting cycle.) However; if this goes south this season, more than likely Kill will be replaced for several reasons.

First and foremost the current AD's number one (and two) job is successful football then basketball programs. The football program brings a ton of money that funds a plethora of programs outside of the football program.

The people who donate money want a successful football program and the the current hire was not the current AD's choice. Also; with a reasonable coaches search Kill would not be difficult to upgrade (ie a coach with a proven track record at a big school level.) The previous search by a lame duck President and AD led to no coach with other options (at this level) wanting to touch this job.

The people who know (coaching community) agree that coach Kill is a solid coach with a proven track record (at a lower level.) The question is can he recruit at this level? The key players (most) on his first two teams have been Brewster recruits (which is understandable.) Should there be a significant drop off this year red flags will most certainly arise.

Kill's seven year contract? Won't mean a thing if Boosters are convinced Norwood can get an exciting name.

Do I think Kill should be fired? Unless he appears to have lost control or is in way over his head I think you give him his 4 seasons....all 4, not fire him during the season. One extra year won't matter and in fact I believe it will help in a coaches search if coaches believe they will get 4 years (especially when it comes to hiring a staff who work on one year contracts).

I agree with all of this, except I am not sure boosters will be convinced that Norwood can get an exciting name. I think the Pitino hire was not exactly what most were hoping for at the start of the process to replace Tubby. If Pitino gets off to a good start (recruiting and/or on the court), then it's probably a moot point that he wasn't a big name. I also think that Norwood's priority is getting donations to upgrade facilities and that's partly why the "brick by brick" campaign was started to encourage fans to be patient with Kill.

A worst case scenario winless B1G season, certainly changes the dynamics of the decision making process though.

On merit alone, I agree that Ferentz probably deserves to be fired if he doesn't win 7-8 including a bowl win. But I just don't see any way they swallow a $15-17 MM cost just to bring in a new coach.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. This type of buyout is exactly the type that Steve Alford got as BB coach at UCLA.

I disagree that Ferentz should be fired, especially holding him to 7-5 + a bowl win. He took IOWA to the Orange Bowl in 2009, then followed that up with two 4-4 B1G seasons. Last year was his first losing B1G season since 2006. He's had Iowa in the top 10 in the nation 4 times (granted 3 of those were back to back to back 02-04) and that's a hell of an accomplishment. Even if Ferentz were to have another 2-6 or even 1-7 B1G year, he's earned another season with his past accomplishments. If you fire Ferentz, what are you expecting to do at Iowa? I'd be thrilled if Wacker, Mason, Brewster, Kill gave us the last decade or so that Ferentz gave Iowa. I usually hate the YOU think you can do better? type reasoning, but I feel it fits here. Ferentz still is 7 games over .500 in the B1G (and that's after starting his career 3-11) and has won (tied for) the conference title twice.

No kidding. This type of buyout is exactly the type that Steve Alford got as BB coach at UCLA.

Not really - and the key for Alford / UCLA is that there is a mirror provision (Alford owes the same amortizing amounts to UCLA if he leaves early... and it's all far less than Iowa's unusual contract. Two guys that have more similar contracts in basketball as compared to Ferentz in football are Indiana's Tom Crean (buyout owed to him for early terminating started out at a $16 million max - currently at approximately $14 million), although this was misreported by the school and essentially all mainstream media) and Memphis' Josh Pastner (under reported by the mainstream media as well).

At any rate, on Kill I don't see any more than another 3 seasons for him. However, with a combination of a bad year + more sudden time off the field because of his seizures and this year could be it.

Not really - and the key for Alford / UCLA is that there is a mirror provision (Alford owes the same amortizing amounts to UCLA if he leaves early... and it's all far less than Iowa's unusual contract. Two guys that have more similar contracts in basketball as compared to Ferentz in football are Indiana's Tom Crean (buyout owed to him for early terminating started out at a $16 million max - currently at approximately $14 million), although this was misreported by the school and essentially all mainstream media) and Memphis' Josh Pastner (under reported by the mainstream media as well).

At any rate, on Kill I don't see any more than another 3 seasons for him. However, with a combination of a bad year + more sudden time off the field because of his seizures and this year could be it.[/QUOTE]

Trying to stir things up much? You and your "knowledge" and "fandom" are a joke.

To be clear; the reason I stopped posting was because I grew tired of folks attempting to minimize my opinion (At least those they disagree with) by stating......well you know.

In some circles I'm actually considered a pretty smart guy; a person.....get this, who is actually able to separate personal feelings from the facts (I've kinda made a damn good living doing so.)

By the way; I do realize that probable was not your intent so I have no ill will towards you.:)

But to be clear; my opinion is that Kill should NOT be fired after this season....regardless of the record. I was only commenting on potential circumstances that it could possible happen.....which was kinda the topic of the thread.

I agree with all of this, except I am not sure boosters will be convinced that Norwood can get an exciting name. I think the Pitino hire was not exactly what most were hoping for at the start of the process to replace Tubby. If Pitino gets off to a good start (recruiting and/or on the court), then it's probably a moot point that he wasn't a big name. I also think that Norwood's priority is getting donations to upgrade facilities and that's partly why the "brick by brick" campaign was started to encourage fans to be patient with Kill.

A worst case scenario winless B1G season, certainly changes the dynamics of the decision making process though.

You make some great points, I was also include the NC buyout would also make it a hard pill to swallow if the U where to fork over more money.

Yup. Glad that 24 is back. I often don't agree with him, but I like his posts. I think I could really enjoy having a cold one with him, and getting to know him better. Not something that I can say for all the posters here.

+1. I rarely agree with him either, but always appreciate his posts and his insights being involved as he was.

Top Bottom