Rochester Post Bulletin: If defense gets worse, we may not see Year 4 of Jerry Kill

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per one of the sports writers for the Rochester Post Bulletin:

"FELDY: If the defense gets worse, we may not see Year 4 of the Jerry Kill Era. The Gophers gave up almost 360 yards per game a year ago, including an average of 172 on the ground. The latter number has to get better this season if the Gophers want to be taken seriously in the Big Ten and qualify for a higher profile bowl game. They'll need veterans Ra'Shede Hageman, a senior defensive tackle, and Aaron Hill, the only returning starting linebacker, to lead the way."

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_baac2c17-c10e-5de4-8b60-0185f6d28b58.html

Go Gophers!!

Sometimes I think these fishwraps post ridiculous articles to sell copy. It cuts the already waining credibility of newspapers. Rochester Post Bulletin is only one notch better than the Strib. That is a very low bar.

per one of the sports writers for the Rochester Post Bulletin:

"FELDY: If the defense gets worse, we may not see Year 4 of the Jerry Kill Era. The Gophers gave up almost 360 yards per game a year ago, including an average of 172 on the ground. The latter number has to get better this season if the Gophers want to be taken seriously in the Big Ten and qualify for a higher profile bowl game. They'll need veterans Ra'Shede Hageman, a senior defensive tackle, and Aaron Hill, the only returning starting linebacker, to lead the way."

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/localsports/faceoff-are-you-ready-for-some-gophers-football/article_baac2c17-c10e-5de4-8b60-0185f6d28b58.html

Go Gophers!!

Wow. The scoring defense was way better last year. If the offense had scored more points they'd have won more games.

Wow. The scoring defense was way better last year. If the offense had scored more points they'd have won more games.

The poor offense allowed opponents to play conservative. If the Gopher offense had been able to put up points, opponents would have been forced to pass more allowing our defensive linemen to pin their ears back and go for the quarterback.

They obviously read the scUM blogger before writing their trash piece. This is what happens when you let children post like they are real reporters...some other hack re-reports it and then it just becomes an is...lazy dinkbags.

In an earlier thread about what would be single most important change I thought the defense will be better. The defense is more than Hageman and Hill. Cockran I believe will be a force to go with Hageman. The depth at defensive tackle means rotations, fresher legs, and less beat down later in the season. I especially like the back end of our defense. Vereen and Thompson are my under the radar best safeties in the conference. Whether Campbell or Wilson make the field, that is a bonus. The team is extremely strong up the middle. Any teams early on who have underclassman at the Center or Guard position will have trouble running or passing against that strength. I also sense this defense will turn the ball over. Maybe a couple short filed shots for the offense. And most importantly, a power running game giving the defense time to recover. The defense was awful 4 years ago. Two years ago it struggled, last year it kept up in the game, this year I think they will step up to make plays that win games.

Now I am not a reporter, a columnist, nor affiliated with any media.

EE_Gopher said:
The poor offense allowed opponents to play conservative. If the Gopher offense had been able to put up points, opponents would have been forced to pass more allowing our defensive linemen to pin their ears back and go for the quarterback.

That, and it kept our defense on the field way too long.

In an earlier thread about what would be single most important change I thought the defense will be better. The defense is more than Hageman and Hill. Cockran I believe will be a force to go with Hageman. The depth at defensive tackle means rotations, fresher legs, and less beat down later in the season. I especially like the back end of our defense. Vereen and Thompson are my under the radar best safeties in the conference. Whether Campbell or Wilson make the field, that is a bonus. The team is extremely strong up the middle. Any teams early on who have underclassman at the Center or Guard position will have trouble running or passing against that strength. I also sense this defense will turn the ball over. Maybe a couple short filed shots for the offense. And most importantly, a power running game giving the defense time to recover. The defense was awful 4 years ago. Two years ago it struggled, last year it kept up in the game, this year I think they will step up to make plays that win games.

Now I am not a reporter, a columnist, nor affiliated with any media.

The depth is at defensive tackle is something to watch. I predict that Hinojosa red-shirts not because he needs to, but that Gophers can afford to have him red-shirt. There are six tackles in front of Jordan and Peppers.

this is a correct statement.

I just find it crazy that Rochester has its own newspaper. Is it something you have to pay for, or is it just a community rag like the Sun Sailor?

Run defense has to be better, no doubt. But really, the defense held their own considering how bad we were offensively. If we can actually sustain a few drives (putting up some points would also be good), I think we'll find out that our defense may even be better than we thought. I liked how the defense competed against Tech, they held up pretty well against a rather potent offense.

But the statement made there just seems odd considering how many problems we had on the other side of the ball and special teams.

I don't understand the uproar here.

I agree with the article. If the defense is lousy this year, Kill might get fired --- and rightfully so. Objectively looking at the program, I could see where the defense is a huge cause for concern. We lost Wilhite, our LB's, and our secondary.

While Kill has my confidence as of today --- If this year's team wins fewer than 4-5 games, I think Kill's job status needs to be looked at. He hasn't done anything more than Tim Brewster did to this point in his tenure and some could argue, he hasn't recruited as much raw talent as Brewster thus far.

I agree with the article. If the defense is lousy this year, Kill might get fired --- and rightfully so. Objectively looking at the program, I could see where the defense is a huge cause for concern. We lost Wilhite, our LB's, and our secondary.

While Kill has my confidence as of today --- If this year's team wins fewer than 4-5 games, I think Kill's job status needs to be looked at. He hasn't done anything more than Tim Brewster did to this point in his tenure and some could argue, he hasn't recruited as much raw talent as Brewster thus far.

If they start firing a coach every three years, may as well start hiring people off the street because this program will never get turned around. Progress isn't always linear.

If you think this thread is uproar you clearly haven't been paying attention.

I do not see Kill getting fired, even if this season turns out to be dumpster fire, which I do not see. You have to give the man at least four years and even that is not much time, considering the state of the program when Kill took over, i.e. academic problems, program disorganization and poor facilities. I agree with CJ, if the U starts firing coaches after 3 years, we will not get anyone to take the job. It is well known that this is a tough coaching gig and no one is would want to take the job if you have to prove yourself in 3 years.

I just find it crazy that Rochester has its own newspaper. Is it something you have to pay for, or is it just a community rag like the Sun Sailor?

Like everything else in town, it exists because of the Mayo Clinic.

It's a team game. If the offense stays on the field longer, the defense won't be giving up as many yards.

I really like Claeys' approach. I think he's the best defensive coordinator we've had in years. Just need to have the athletes to execute and I think he does a good job of matching players' strengths to situations. Given the experience level of a lot of the kids on the defensive side of the ball (especially at LB and CB), Claeys will likely do some shuffling. Hopefully the shuffling won't lead to scuffling.

PS--Post-Bulletin is a decent paper. Rochester's population is over 100,000 and it's a strong economic hub. Post-Bulletin serves as a regional paper. It's a lot like Duluth having its own paper, which covers the news from NE Minnesota.

It's a team game. If the offense stays on the field longer, the defense won't be giving up as many yards.

I really like Claeys' approach. I think he's the best defensive coordinator we've had in years. Just need to have the athletes to execute and I think he does a good job of matching players' strengths to situations. Given the experience level of a lot of the kids on the defensive side of the ball (especially at LB and CB), Claeys will likely do some shuffling. Hopefully the shuffling won't lead to scuffling.

PS--Post-Bulletin is a decent paper. Rochester's population is over 100,000 and it's a strong economic hub. Post-Bulletin serves as a regional paper. It's a lot like Duluth having its own paper, which covers the news from NE Minnesota.

We'll agree to disagree. If the Clinic left, Rochester would be a ghost town overnight. They employ more people than the rest of the city combined.

Warren Buffet loves local newspapers and believes there will always be a place for them. They report the local news and provide places for local advertising of merchandise AND JOBS...And, for the near term and into the future, Rochester will have a growing, vibrant economy. The Mayo Clinic drives the engine as the State's largest employer. The service economy grows and thrives with the clinic. There is a good work force to draw from. There are bedroom growing communities that help to provide affordable housing opportunities for the wide range of Clinic and service economy jobs in Rochester and also provide advertising and classified business for the Post Bulletin. I agree, the Post Bulletin is most certainly a decent paper that provides much value added content for citizens of Rochester and the surrounding communities.

Heck. the small town local papers even provide great services and distribute the local news and word of local merchandise for sale and job opportunities for people in Outstate Minnesota.

Some of you people suffer from "urbanitis maximus impacticus overinflateimous" syndrome. You think the world begins and ends in the urban sprawl. Not so people. There is life around some of the Regional Areas such as the FM Area, St. Cloud, Duluth and Rochester, Other areas such as Mankato and a few other places do all right for themselves too. Forgive me for missing some of the other GREAT regional and more rural areas. There is a LOT of life outside Minneapolis and St. Paul...a heck of a lot of GOOD life...The local rags in the Twin Cities that push opinions and also provide local news and job opportunities and hawk local merchants wares are NOT the alpha and omega of havens for the "ink-stained-wretches" who toil for the urban dwellers and the internet versions of their advertising and classified sections under the guise of sports opinion writers and beat reporters...

; 0 )

If the Reporting gets worse, we may not see any more of Feldy

Regarding the Title of this String: Fixed it for you

I do not see Kill getting fired, even if this season turns out to be dumpster fire, which I do not see. You have to give the man at least four years and even that is not much time, considering the state of the program when Kill took over, i.e. academic problems, program disorganization and poor facilities. I agree with CJ, if the U starts firing coaches after 3 years, we will not get anyone to take the job. It is well known that this is a tough coaching gig and no one is would want to take the job if you have to prove yourself in 3 years.

I agree with you on the part about him not getting fired this year however if the season is a dumpster fire (talking 0-8, 1-7) it could happen. I have said it before, don't underestimate the influence of a new AD, one who has had no issues firing people in the department and who did not hire the current head coach. I honestly believe NT will give Kill at least 4 years to prove he has things on the upswing but if the record backslides this year I would not be shocked to see him pull the trigger.

I agree with you on the part about him not getting fired this year however if the season is a dumpster fire (talking 0-8, 1-7) it could happen. I have said it before, don't underestimate the influence of a new AD, one who has had no issues firing people in the department and who did not hire the current head coach. I honestly believe NT will give Kill at least 4 years to prove he has things on the upswing but if the record backslides this year I would not be shocked to see him pull the trigger.

Which was the point of the article - not whether or not they would be better.

Newspapers are going the way of the Baltimore Opera Hat Co. thank you Monty Burns

But, you see, that writer has most likely been paying attention to Golden Gopher Football much more closely and for a longer period of time than you have scoots. I have seen it happen MANY times during the past fifty five to sixty seasons. This job has become a graveyard of football coaches. Ever since Bierman, throw out the tenures of Warmath, Stoll and Mason and we have been going through football coaches at an incredibly alarming rate. Fessler, Salem, hoax, Guttey, Wacker and that Brewster were all just blips on the screen and the constant turn-over in coaches in periods about five seasons or less have created MUCH chaos and have contributed to the lack of being competitive in the conference all too often.

Coach Kill is just starting his third season. He is reaching that "danger zone..." The third season can "make or break a head football coach at the University of Minnesota. And, at this point in time, it would appear that if we think the conference schedule is tough this year, in 2014 and 2015 it will potentially be MURDER. So, manufacture a goodly number of wins in 2013 Coach Kill and Staff! I want nothing more than stability for this program...the stability that ONLY having a coach stick around for seven seasons and hopefully longer can bring my Golden Gopher Football Program.

I'd say the writer from the Post Bulletin knows his stuff and has been doing his homework. Just look at the history of coaching changes at the U since 1950. Too many coaches have been here five years or less during that time. Each Coaching change almost insures all too many tough times during the next three to five seasons. And, when back to back buyouts and firings occur, a lost decade is just around the corner...

Find a way to win MORE Conference Games in 2013 Coach Kill!

; 0 )

Kill has a seven year contract. He will not be fired after three years.

End of story.

That got by me the first time!

Wonder if the writer saw many of the games last year or just looked at the stats? You and others have been right. When Gopher Fans were watching games last year people were a lot more worried about the Offense being able to complete a pass then the Defense screwing-up. Overall that Defense did okay when they weren't asked to come back out on the field again and again and again...

If they start firing a coach every three years, may as well start hiring people off the street because this program will never get turned around. Progress isn't always linear.

Don't forget the Norwood factor. He replaced a respected basketball coach this last year, and if the recruiting pans out like it looks like it will, that will have been a slam dunk hire. Norwood may be interested in making an imprint on the football team as well. I don't see it myself, as the team has done other things (like highest APR score for MN ever) and the team does appear to be improving. But a 3 or 4 win season with any off the field issues could be see the end of Messieur Kill.

Top Bottom