PiPress: Jerry Kill likes increased depth at linebacker

I was worried about the strength of this unit, but after hearing how the JC transfers and some of the new guys have been performing, I am feeling much better about it.

Specifically, I have heard from people that De'Niro Laster was looking really good until his recent knee injury. I'm glad that he is back practicing.

I am getting mixed signals. Claeys clearly stated he didn't want to be switching middle linebackers. He would name one and go with it. Now its all about depth, rolling the dice, and leaving it open. Still not naming anyone actually but Hill. They are the Coaches, and its their decision. I guess we all will have to wait till UNLV takes their first snap.

I am getting mixed signals. Claeys clearly stated he didn't want to be switching middle linebackers. He would name one and go with it. Now its all about depth, rolling the dice, and leaving it open. Still not naming anyone actually but Hill. They are the Coaches, and its their decision. I guess we all will have to wait till UNLV takes their first snap.

We have 3 to 4 guys who've never taken a FBS snap vying to start. Last year we all thought James Gillum was going to be the feature back, but after one game he was replaced by Donnell Kirkwood. He'd just giving himself some wiggle room if say Wilson doesn't turn out to be as good as hoped. I feel comfortable with Hill, Wilson and Manual as starters next week. Campbell is such a physical specimen that it would be sad if he didn't pan out.

BTN's Tom Dienhart on our LB's:

"The two JC linebackers I saw while watching the Gophers practice were impressive: De’Vondre Campbell and Damien Wilson, who likely will start in the middle. Aaron Hill is a nice veteran presence at an outside spot. James Manuel and Jack Lynn are other guys to watch. So, Minnesota may be OK here."

http://btn.com/2013/08/21/web-links-another-u-m-injury-alvarez-vs-bielema-more/

Go Gophers!!

I hope the differences in the style of statement Jerry Kill is making regularly these days translate onto the field. He was really downplaying things in his first couple years and the results matched what he was hinting at very closely in those days. If that trend continues, this football team will be pretty good this year.

I hope the differences in the style of statement Jerry Kill is making regularly these days translate onto the field. He was really downplaying things in his first couple years and the results matched what he was hinting at very closely in those days. If that trend continues, this football team will be pretty good this year.

+1 A great observation! So far I have found that if you listen reasonable carefully to Jerry you will be able to understand a great deal about what is going on with Gopher football. Of course, like all people in his position he has to be somewhat careful as to what he says but he is very honest. He also certainly uses his communications to help him accomplish his vision and goals. This seems to bother a few people but it is what a good manager does.

FSN: Gophers linebackers are raw, but also talented

At present, Manuel's the best option in space, Claeys said. But at 6-foot-5, 225 pounds with a 4.49 40-yard dash, Campbell is vying for time at the spot, too -- even while working with the No. 2 unit behind Hill.

"When you get to the field-side backer, he's your kid that has a chance to be All-American," Claeys said. "We blitz him the most, he drops off in coverage, and like D'Vondre, has length. I think there's a lot of positives to D'Vondre if he would be the field-side backer."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...e-raw-but-also-tal?blockID=931329&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

+1 A great observation! So far I have found that if you listen reasonable carefully to Jerry you will be able to understand a great deal about what is going on with Gopher football. Of course, like all people in his position he has to be somewhat careful as to what he says but he is very honest. He also certainly uses his communications to help him accomplish his vision and goals. This seems to bother a few people but it is what a good manager does.

+1

I would like to see a couple of stud linebackers in this upcoming class.

We will have quality depth at LB. That is important. I agree about stud LBs too. I'd like a couple of them every year.

Top Bottom