Alternative to Sallys?

Reaction score
Attendend many games at TCF and always pre-gamed at Sally's. Liked the atmosphere and knowing there would always be room outside under the tent.
With Sally's closed for the year, I was looking for some suggestions for an alternative.
I'm not that interested in getting a tailgating pass, I like to have a few drinks in a bar.
I like Stub and Herbs, but it's so crowded if they don't open the parking lot up in the back.
I was thinking about the Blarney, anyone ever pre-game or post-game there?

I'm also looking for a place too and have wondered if Dinkytown had any good options.

Attendend many games at TCF and always pre-gamed at Sally's. Liked the atmosphere and knowing there would always be room outside under the tent.
With Sally's closed for the year, I was looking for some suggestions for an alternative.
I'm not that interested in getting a tailgating pass, I like to have a few drinks in a bar.
I like Stub and Herbs, but it's so crowded if they don't open the parking lot up in the back.
I was thinking about the Blarney, anyone ever pre-game or post-game there?

BWW has an outdoor area, a few years ago stub and herbs had a tent. I'm thinking they might recognize there is going to be increased demand and open the tent back up.

I liked Stub and Herbs the few times I got in, especially when they had the tent out back. I'm hoping they do it again.

On 11AM games where we don't tailgate, we've done Blarney's. Not generally a fan of bar breakfasts, but they have a breakfast burrito called the Belch Burrito that's pretty tasty.

I've done the outside garden at BWW and it's generally the same as Sally's outdoor, minus a few less TV's outside. I think it's fine.

McNamara Alumni Center will have a beer/wine tent (Oak Street entrance side) from 4-6. Inside McNamara, a full bar with sandwiches until kick off too.

Not sure how that all works with the employees here until 5:15 and parking, but I took the day off. I heard there was a football game? :rolleyes:

I frequented both Sally's and BWW before games. Usually a bite to eat and a drink or two at Sally's, then to BWW for a beer or two before we head into the stadium. I honestly haven't been to Stub & Herbs since college, so I can not speak to there gameday set-up. If you liked Sally's, BWW provides a nice second option that is right across the street from the stadium for a nice view, I guess. But like a poster above elluded to, no outdoor TV's that I can remember if you are looking to watch other games or anything while tailgating (depending on the time of the Gophers game, of course).

But, overall, BWW will work well enough for the short term.

Might I recommend Campus Pizza near there. Full service bar and drink specials and close walk as any other place.

We actually enjoyed the McNamara outdoor deal they had the first year they opened TCF (easy to get beer) sucks that they eliminated that.

We actually enjoyed the McNamara outdoor deal they had the first year they opened TCF (easy to get beer) sucks that they eliminated that.

They actually didn't. It is still going pre-game. You must be pretty damn oblivious to miss it going on. But then again I remember who I am replying to...

They actually didn't. It is still going pre-game. You must be pretty damn oblivious to miss it going on. But then again I remember who I am replying to...

Obviously you did not attend games the first year to know what I'm talking about. Or you're just being a D.

I will be tailgating every game this year but in recent years I was getting into a pattern of Sally's if I was going with all adults, and BWW if I had kids along. BWW has a nice outdoor area and it is big enough to have a little elbow room and the points of sale are numerous enough to not have to waste time in line. It is nice if you have people in your group that would like to catch the pregame band show next door, and you can keep an eye on the game clock to head into the stadium on time, right from the site.

Burrito Loco has some decent breakfast food for 11 AM games, not really packed, either.

We were a Sally's group, too. We bought a better grill with the idea that we'll pregame more at East River Flats, but I'd prefer more people/atmostphere.

How far is the walk to the stadium from Dinkytown?

Just us two? It appears to me that there are several others that "get into it with you".

No really just you two that call me out in theads....but no prob I can deal with you older folk.

No one does 7 Corners? We park/tailgate in the law school lot. I plan to skip tailgating next week and hit up Bullwinkle's or Town Hall. 7 Corners is also nice for a post-game bump. Not so crowded as Stadium Village and a nice walk through campus.

I spend a couple postgames at The Hole last year, sitting at the bar mostly. Liked it, and it's location is convenient if you park on the east side of the stadium. Definitely a viable alternative to those looking to replace Sally's.

I hit up "The Hole" often last year as well. I remember it from back in college (mid 2000's) when I was in school at the U when it was "Leaning Tower of Pizza". The new place is definitely much improved from what it was. Usually a good post game spot for me to grab a bite if I'm staying at the Days Inn (keepin' it classy).

No really just you two that call me out in theads....but no prob I can deal with you older folk.

I apologize for my mistake. I obviously have not been calling you "out in theads" (sic) enough. Consider this sic as my first attempt to reach the lofty heights station19 and Dr.Don have obtained.

I apologize for my mistake. I obviously have not been calling you "out in theads" (sic) enough. Consider this sic as my first attempt to reach the lofty heights station19 and Dr.Don have obtained.

I have never called out Parski. I might give him some sh!t from time to time...to time....to time........

I have never called out Parski. I might give him some sh!t from time to time...to time....to time........

Parski doesn't understand the difference between giving him sh!t and calling him out. That is why he is so much fun. It pisses him off. :)

The main thing he doesn't understand is it's all in fun, and he takes it seriously.

Top Bottom