UNLV running back confident, likes TCF

Had Gray connected on some of those deep passes in the first half, it would have been a much different game. Hopefully we won't leave as many plays on the table this year (Iowa and UNLV come to mind last year).

^
^
Untimely mistakes on our part had more to do with last year's game being close than anything UNLV did including their schemes.

Generally I hold back from supporting such comments, since they can tend to not respect an opposing team. But in this case, there was not just one QB miscue to an open WR, there were many. In my mind, this was proof of a good design only to be depressingly mangled by operator error. Either that, or someone on the UNLV defense was airbending passes to twenty foot incompletions...

Well, we saw that it had an effect last year. I'm pretty sure Kill and his defensive staff prepared for UNLV to run a spread or some type of wide open offense, and they came out with a pound the rock mentality and it caught us off guard as they ran for 160 yards. I think the unpredictability argument is a legit excuse in the first game of the season.

There were other factors at play but unpredictability should not be one we lean on. We were on the road, had a pretty young team, and executed poorly. Fast forward one year we have a lot of returning experience, are at home and playing a team that was really bad last year and should be again this year. No excuse for losing this game and on top of that it should be a convincing victory assuming this team really is moving in the direction we all hope it is.

I'm reading that the new OC likes to go no huddle. So they switched to power run last year and are switching to up-tempo this year?

Sh|tty teams running no huddle and up tempo usually equates to their defenses spending a lot of time on the field.

Sh|tty teams running no huddle and up tempo usually equates to their defenses spending a lot of time on the field.

That's what I was thinking as well. If the Gophers come out and wear down the UNLV defense for a 12 play drive, the last thing they'd want to see is a 3 and out by the offense that consumed about 60 seconds of clock.

Top Bottom