Academic Ranking 2013 released: WI (19), MI (23), IL (25), U of MN (29), NU (30)

Northwestern is soooo overrated. According to this list, it's the 3rd best university in the state of Illinois.

Impressive. I wasn't aware that Cal was such a highly regarded university. I wonder where SCSU fell ;)

What happened to the ACC? Duke 30. Maryland (soon to vacate) 38. UNC 43. Most shocking: UVa unranked. Mr. Jefferson would not approve.

Huh...for those saying MD & Rutgers didn't measure up academically...well they both beat tOSU.

Kind of questionable that we're in front of Northwestern, Wash U, USC, Vanderbilt, Brown, etc. As it says, the rankings were determined by research. We're certainly not better than a lot of these school in terms of undergraduate teaching or selectivity (what some recruits might care about).

Wow, the B1G has 10 of the current 12 members on this list.. soon to be 11 of 14.. we really do pride ourselves on academics.

Kind of questionable that we're in front of Northwestern, Wash U, USC, Vanderbilt, Brown, etc. As it says, the rankings were determined by research. We're certainly not better than a lot of these school in terms of undergraduate teaching or selectivity (what some recruits might care about).

Correct. I love my alma mater, but 20 spots ahead of Carnegie Mellon shows that this list has very little to do with the undergraduate program. Look at the fine print, folks.

All rankings have their biases, this one included. The reality is that ranking universities is incredibly difficult to do. This one focuses on research, a legitimate thing to measure but also not the only important thing to consider in how "good" a school is. What you can do is look across the board at the Big Ten and the consistency of placement in lots of different rankings, and surmise that it's a pretty damn good conference academically.

Wow, the B1G has 10 of the current 12 members on this list.. soon to be 11 of 14.. we really do pride ourselves on academics.

In a ranking based heavily on research it makes sense that CIC members would fare well.

It's actually soon to be 12 of 15 JHU comes in at 17. ;)

Some observations:
-I was unable to find The University of the United States. They are pretty small though, they don't even have a basketball team. Very good at "Chase the Monkey" though....
-I always thought that UC-Santa Barbara was supposed to be a party school & not thought of that highly. Seeing that UC-Davis was there as well along with the high ranking of UCLA (I knew it was a good school, but didn't know that high), is it the UC schools are pretty good & the Cal-State schools, like Fullerton, are less thought of?
-Surprised to see Arizona State on the list, much less higher than Indiana.
-I love their Saturday night tilts in November, but looks like we won't be seeing Alabama or LSU in Doc Holliday's spelling contest anytime soon....
-I know it would be something different, but would the University of Toronto ever be a from left field Big Ten expansion candidate?
-Brown at 67? Kind of surprising considering the hard work that Jonathan Moxon put forth to get a full scholarship & get away from Bud Kilmer & West Cannan, TX....
-Rice at 92? I thought they were supposed to be the Stanford of the south? (not being sarcastic)

Some observations:
-I was unable to find The University of the United States. They are pretty small though, they don't even have a basketball team. Very good at "Chase the Monkey" though....
-I always thought that UC-Santa Barbara was supposed to be a party school & not thought of that highly. Seeing that UC-Davis was there as well along with the high ranking of UCLA (I knew it was a good school, but didn't know that high), is it the UC schools are pretty good & the Cal-State schools, like Fullerton, are less thought of?
-I love their Saturday night tilts in November, but looks like we won't be seeing Alabama or LSU in Doc Holliday's spelling contest anytime soon....
-I know it would be something different, but would the University of Toronto ever be a from left field Big Ten expansion candidate?
-Brown at 67? Kind of surprising considering the hard work that Jonathan Moxon put forth to get a full scholarship & get away from Bud Kilmer & West Cannan, TX....
-Rice at 92? I thought they were supposed to be the Stanford of the south? (not being sarcastic)

Tallest midget syndrome (being sarcastic).

Some observations:

-I always thought that UC-Santa Barbara was supposed to be a party school & not thought of that highly.

- Seeing that UC-Davis was there as well along with the high ranking of UCLA (I knew it was a good school, but didn't know that high), is it the UC schools are pretty good & the Cal-State schools, like Fullerton, are less thought of?

UC Santa Barbara IS a party school that has five Nobel Laureates on its faculty and a Top 10 Engineering school. I guess world class professors and their students like to party, too. Through all the budgetary problems California has gone through in recent years, the University of California system is still one of the educational wonders of the world.

Some observations:

I would think they'd have a tough time leaving the CIS for the NCAA being a public school. I know that Simon Fraser did it, but they played in the NAIA before partially joining CIS after initially being turned down by the NCAA a few years back. Also, Toronto would want to convert their field to American dimensions (obviously the American would fit on the Canadian but the stands would be a mile away with all the unused area).

It's not a bad idea. It's a huge television market. Great academic school. Of course, it means having to get visas for sure for coaches and staff (not sure about players) every game (either for them or the road team coming in). And not sure how it works for players with DUI's from America...

I would think they'd have a tough time leaving the CIS for the NCAA being a public school. I know that Simon Fraser did it, but they played in the NAIA before partially joining CIS after initially being turned down by the NCAA a few years back. Also, Toronto would want to convert their field to American dimensions (obviously the American would fit on the Canadian but the stands would be a mile away with all the unused area).

It's not a bad idea. It's a huge television market. Great academic school. Of course, it means having to get visas for sure for coaches and staff (not sure about players) every game (either for them or the road team coming in). And not sure how it works for players with DUI's from America...

Rogers Centre probably will get a remodel for football when the Bills move there.

Top Bottom