Just curious. What is your agenda for the opener?

My inconsiderate wife scheduled a minor ankle surgery/scope for a few days before the UNLV game. Apparently the considerate thing for me to do is cancel my flight to MSP and help her get around, so I begrudgingly canceled my flight this morning. WTF
Didn't your wife have ankle surgery last year during the UNLV game?

As for me, tailgating probably isn't an option. I work downtown and park in C86, so will probably hit up Bullwinkle's or something.

This Doc thinks he "talks' a good ball game. He even claims his life is nothing but being: "drink...drank...drunk..." That's pretty much the crux of his message. He is NO W. C. Fields though... not even a decent Dean Martin pretender. Somebody needs to do an intervention on this dude before he takes his show on the road and actually buys a ticket for a Gopher game... The Moorhead Police don't have equipment that can fully measure his blood, alcohol content (according to the way he presents himself here) and IF he did stumble down to the Cities, security at the stadium would have to eject him for pretending to be drunk and disorderly. Mr. Bojangles was a kinder, gentler version of the kind of character this don attempts to hide behind...

don: skip the beer, save some money and pay for a ticket. There are too many empty seats at TCF BANK STADIUM these days. Act as if you can still pull it together and sober up for a couple of days and try to pretend that you are someone your Mom and Dad might have been proud of...

The thing is though, based upon the way you try to present yourself, I guess no one will miss you even if you don't show up for a game. Just stay home and pretend that your liver is still functioning...

This roast is for you don...when ever you start trying to take my inventory, I promise, I will contrast your unworthy effort with a personal observation about you. Life is good. You should try acting like a decent human being once in a while... at least in your case, there is still a faint sign of something worth responding to. Some of the people who follow me around here have nothing left to try to save...no value or virtue that remains. If a person's inner core is too critically damaged and ill, it kills any joy and negates any efforts to try to salvage anything of worth...and once the joy is killed: there is nothing of value left of the creature that remains...

; 0 )

Don if you ever go to a game your welcome to hang out with us at our tailgate spot! Drinks all around!

Leave work at noon, go home change into game day gear and pack the truck. Should be idling in the lot 37 entry line by 1:30 with the LT sitting on a cooler in our spot.
Unload the truck, turn on the tv, drink some apple pie and beer and get ready to watch a rowdy football game.
brats with pulled pork and 'que sauce, chilidogs, chile con queso dip with salsa, pulled pork sliders with coleslaw

big birdie golf and washers for games.

Seriously thinking about watching Remember the Titans at least once.

Didn't your wife have ankle surgery last year during the UNLV game?

As for me, tailgating probably isn't an option. I work downtown and park in C86, so will probably hit up Bullwinkle's or something.

Knee surgery early in the fall last year, followed by ankle surgery in November. Apparently they didn't get everything the first time around on the ankle procedure, going back in next Monday. This is where my wife being so tough almost backfires on her. With a typical soft, highly feminine type of woman, I wouldn't even THINK about bailing on her a few days after a minor procedure. But with my lifelong athlete, competitive, strong, tough-as-nails wife, it didn't seem that out of the question to leave town for 48 hours for a football game and let her get around on her own. If it was just the getting around, I would have left, but for the first week or two she'll be hauling around a cooling unit with her to keep down the swelling that's about the size of an old desk top computer tower. I should probably help her with that?

Maybe someday we'll stop playing so many sports. Apparently not quite ready for that though.

The real question now is, do I head to one of the big Rebel hangouts with a few Rebel friends of mine for the game and aggravate the sh!t out of some Rebel fans by taunting them when the Gophers run up the score?

Get to work early so I can leave early, and take the bus to the game.

Leaving work around 1pm, meeting the wife at her parents where she is droping our daughters off at and then heading to Ski-U-Mah lot to wait until they let us in. We will meet up there with the other group of people we tailgate with and the rest of our ticket group. Excited to get into the game and see how the view if from the 4 new seats we added this year.

"Just curious. What is your agenda for the opener?"

1. Cooler full of beer. Drink a cold beer while filling cooler.
2. Cooler of beer covered with ice. Drink another cold beer while pouring ice into cooler on top of beer.
3. Cooler of beer covered with ice by picnic table in my back yard. Drink another cold beer while positioning table and cooler.
4. Weber coals ready for indirect heat method to do a nice sirloin tip roast cooking slowly. Drink another cold beer while starting the grill.
5. Drink another cold beer while the coals are heating.
6. Slice Hobo potatoes, carrots, onions, green peppers, brussel sprouts, and sliced tomatoes, all wrapped in foil for cooking on grill. Drink another cold beer while slicing and wrapping all of the veggies
7. Radio on to listen to pregame. Drink another cold beer listening to pregame.
8. Prepare my campfire for ambiance. Drink another cold beer while preparing campfire.
9. Check progress of beef roast, adding a few coals as needed. Start my campfire. Drink another cold beer checking progress of beef roast.
10. Take a break from all of this hard work by sitting down and having a nice cold beer.
11. Timing is perfect, game starts when beef roast is medium rare, hobo potatoes/veggies are done perfectly, set food aside to finish cooking off the grill. Drink another cold beer while waiting.
12. Take perfectly grilled beef roast and perfectly cooked hobo potatoes/veggies and place in fridge to eat Friday.
13. Drink a nice cold beer while listening to game.
14. See (13).
15. Stoke campfire, and see (13).
16. Make sure campfire is under control, and see (13).
17. Open last beer in cooler and fall asleep on picnic table after Gophers Win.

I was reading the list, and on first pass, I read #8 to say "prepare my campfire for AMBULANCE,"
and I was wondering just how big this campfire was........

And, Dr. Don - please ignore Wren's insane babblings. I think you are a decent human being. I'm not even sure that Wren is human.....

My original plan was to take a half day and head to tailgate, but since I'm in the Fairgrounds lot that ain't happening.

What I'd like to do is take a half day and either go to the Twins game or meet up with some buddies at a bar. I'd take the LRT downtown, my wife would drive down after work and I wouldn't have to worry about driving.

What will likely happen? I'll probably work nearly a full day since my wife can't take a half day and rush to park somewhere with a shuttle to the stadium, eat quick and attend the game.

Regardless of the plan I'm taking Friday off since I have a floater to burn so I can have a good night, sleep in and have a good start to a long weekend!

Leave work around 11:00 and go to Target Field

Watch the Twins vs. KC. Actually "watch" is too strong, we'll be there but probably stand around, drinking beer and talking about the Gophers. Kind of like tailgating with a baseball game in the background.

Leave Target field around 2:30 and go to our tailgating lot on the West Bank where we will have some more beverages and munchies before heading over the river to watch the Gophers pound the Rebels.

I was reading the list, and on first pass, I read #8 to say "prepare my campfire for AMBULANCE,"
and I was wondering just how big this campfire was........

And, Dr. Don - please ignore Wren's insane babblings. I think you are a decent human being. I'm not even sure that Wren is human.....

Robots do not have emotions.

My buddy and a pair of hotel rooms really cheap at Graves 601. We live less than 15 minutes from TCF but we're making a night out of it. The wives and us 2 will drive down around 1 or 2 PM after dropping off our son and their daughter at the Grandparents. Everyon is working a half-day. From there we'll probably hit a bar or 2 and the Victory lot where friends of ours tailgate. Watch the Gophers win followed by celebrations in Dinkytown. Cab it back to Graves for a couple of night cappers and then get up the next morning for a leisurely breakfast at Hell's Kitchen.

I plan to leave work early and grab a spot at the East River Flats spot. I am hoping to locate some nice Blatz (is there a mobile phone application that can locate stores that sell Blatz?) and get it on ice, but I am prepared for Hamms or Schlitz if Blatz cannot be found. My season ticket partner will join me.

I also invited around 10 old college friends to join me at least for the tailgating part. Almost all of them graduated from the U during the Wacker era, and many of them have never been to a Gopher football or basketball game (very sad). They/we were more interested in the music/arts scene at places like the 400 Bar and other West Bank/Uptown locales. I know if they get out in the fresh air, crack a Blatz/Hamms/Schlitz and meet some of the fine Gopher fans most of them will be hooked.

Get up early, head for the Vegas airport and hope that our flight is on time. Get to Mpls a little after noon, check into "The Commons" (is supposed to be on campus, is it an OK place?), have lunch with one of my sisters in Dinkytown, take a nap and get ready for the game. I have very mixed feelings for the game. A guy from the UNLV Athletic Dept is getting me and my family free tix, so I am obligated to wear UNLV garb. I have been a Gopher fan since 1971, but UNLV is my employer and has been good to me, I've met a ton of nice people here, and know a couple of players. But, I think that UNLV can still have a good year if they lose to the Gophers, the opposite probably not true. The best scenario might be UNLV playing well, and losing. I am also curious to see how I will be treated at the game (wearing a UNLV shirt). I don't expect "Minnesota nice," but I also hope that I do not bump into some drunk who can't hold his booze. Anyway, Go Gophers!

Hopefully leaving work before noon. Making the trek down from Wheaton, MN like I do every home game, BUT with at least two buddies, waiting on a 3rd, who are Gopher fans that have not gotten to watch a game in TCF yet. Hope to arrive around 3 p.m. and get a generous amount of tailgating in before kickoff. Staying at the Days Hotel (keeping it classy), followed by celebrating a Gopher 'W' with a night of heavy drinking at Blarney's, Burrito Loco, maybe Town Hall, in no particular order (frequent some of my old college hangouts), I would imagine. Should be a fun time! Loking forward to it! :drink: :drink: :drink:

Get up early, head for the Vegas airport and hope that our flight is on time. Get to Mpls a little after noon, check into "The Commons" (is supposed to be on campus, is it an OK place?), have lunch with one of my sisters in Dinkytown, take a nap and get ready for the game. I have very mixed feelings for the game. A guy from the UNLV Athletic Dept is getting me and my family free tix, so I am obligated to wear UNLV garb. I have been a Gopher fan since 1971, but UNLV is my employer and has been good to me, I've met a ton of nice people here, and know a couple of players. But, I think that UNLV can still have a good year if they lose to the Gophers, the opposite probably not true. The best scenario might be UNLV playing well, and losing. I am also curious to see how I will be treated at the game (wearing a UNLV shirt). I don't expect "Minnesota nice," but I also hope that I do not bump into some drunk who can't hold his booze. Anyway, Go Gophers!

Deck out in Gopher Garb (shirt, shorts, and socks) and put your UNLV wear over the top. This way, your UNLV buddies won't know and us Gopher-holers won't hold it against you. We know where your heart's at and no matter what the outcome, your first or second favorite team will win. Have fun and enjoy fall in Minnesota.

check into "The Commons" (is supposed to be on campus, is it an OK place?)

The Commons is the old Radisson right on Washington Ave. It has changed hands at least twice in the past few years and just underwent a major remodel in the past 18 months or so. It is a very nice and classy hotel and is very close to the stadium. I bring through a lot of U employee recruits who stay at this hotel and I haven't heard a complaint yet. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Work that Thursday. Hopefully not much into the afternoon. My boss knows I'm a huge fan and is probably the best boss I've ever had, so I wouldn't be surprised if he let me bail early if push came to shove. My wife works until 6pm at the earliest, so she won't be able to go. My uncle's 2nd ticket is vacant as well, so we are selling 2 of our seats that are together in the Ticket Exchange thread. After work, I will get home, shower, gear up and my uncle and I will make our way to campus.

I doubt you will have too many problems assuming you are not going to be over the top obnoxious. The last couple times the Hawkeyes have been in town there have been some extremely annoying fans. It was nice to shut them up by serving them a loss. A couple of obnoxious fans left when the game was all but sealed and received a healthy amount of boos. A couple others were hoping from seat to seat and were booted multiple times near the beginning of the game. On the other hand.....there were a couple of 20-something hawkeye fans nearby that were very gracious and offered congrats at the conclusion of the game.

Like I said.....I haven't seen too much razzing of opposing fans (not saying that you necessarily are) by the folks nearby. I assume that everyone (hopefully) will be saving up their hate for when the badgers come to town.

My inconsiderate wife scheduled a minor ankle surgery/scope for a few days before the UNLV game. Apparently the considerate thing for me to do is cancel my flight to MSP and help her get around, so I begrudgingly canceled my flight this morning. WTF

Whew! dodged a bullet. Got my mother to move her same day surgery to today, and my girlfriend to move our flight to Friday morning. Everyone else is flying out Thursday.

gamplan? Roam the campus,hit the glc tailgate, or crash someones tailgate, head into the stadium a little early and take in the pregame show, lose voice during the game, celebrate victory. Postgame? Over analyze everything that happened during he game. Optional(Sleep) Wake up just in time to catch flight.

Probably scour the city for a tanning place that will spray me half maroon and half gold. Hit a salon for my nails and my Bo Derek hairdo-all maroon and gold based of course. Then you know, go to the game.

Ogee, I expected more out of you! This is like inconsiderate friends scheduling their weddings on a home game day...that's why I RSVP "no."

We are going to try to get in the lots early, if they won't let us in, we'll park outside and start our tailgate outside the lot. It's not a fool proof plan, but it's worth a shot!

Ogee, I expected more out of you! This is like inconsiderate friends scheduling their weddings on a home game day...that's why I RSVP "no."

We are going to try to get in the lots early, if they won't let us in, we'll park outside and start our tailgate outside the lot. It's not a fool proof plan, but it's worth a shot!

Always better to beg for forgiveness than permission.

I was going to try this too.
Any idea how it may go either way? I suppose we could park somewhere for a few hours and hit the bars til 2.
I bet they don't know what to do and just let us in anyway.

Ogee, I expected more out of you! This is like inconsiderate friends scheduling their weddings on a home game day...that's why I RSVP "no."!

I was soooo looking forward to this game/trp, even though I was just up in MN two weeks ago. Would have been my first game at TCF. I'll have to grab a flight back for one later this year. I might make the trip to Las Cruces now though, so who knows.

Weddings on a home game day? I'll do you one better. I had a college roommate who got married on the opening weekend of deer season. He had 3 uncles that didn't show up. I wouldn't have gone either, but I was in the wedding. Ouch.

Work in morning, pregame at house party/bar, go take a fart in the otherwise empty student tailgating lot, then go to the game and cheer the Gophs on to victory!

Work in morning, pregame at house party/bar, go take a fart in the otherwise empty student tailgating lot, then go to the game and cheer the Gophs on to victory!

Where are you going to take it after the game? Is it your date for the night?

Top Bottom