PiPress: Andre McDonald out of fall camp for a violation of team rules

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Gophers sophomore wide receiver Andre McDonald will not practice for the rest of fall camp after violating team rules, football coach Jerry Kill said Saturday.

"We have a team policy that you have to follow," Kill said of McDonald after Saturday's scrimmage. "Right now, he's not able to practice. That's where we're at right now. He's not going to be practicing the rest of camp."

Kill didn't specify McDonald's violation but said he would address it after camp.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23885784/gophers-football-wide-receiver-andre-mcdonald-out-fall

Go Gophers!!

Jeez...did that just ruin my day.

Get to class, listen to the coaches, and follow the rules. DO NOT waste your talent.

Kill knew exactly what he was getting when he took a chance on this kid. His talent justifies the risk and while it still might work out, it likely will not; which probably isn't a big surprise for most.

Coach Kill is deferring his final decision until after camp, that's precisely when he'll have to decide on awarding scholarships to walk-ons, I don't like McDonald's chances, the way this came out, points to a major transgression. I could be wrong, but I think McDonald is done, at the U.

This is all already in the WR thread...Why don't people read threads before they start them?

This is all already in the WR thread...Why don't people read threads before they start them?

Maybe those who are interested in Andre want to read about him and not "All Things" wide receiver thread.

^ I think there should be one thread titled "football" and only Parski can post and reply and the rest of us get the privilege to read it.

Coach Kill is deferring his final decision until after camp, that's precisely when he'll have to decide on awarding scholarships to walk-ons, I don't like McDonald's chances, the way this came out, points to a major transgression. I could be wrong, but I think McDonald is done, at the U.

That would be a pretty crappy thing to do to the kid. If you are going to pull his scholarship, you should do it immediately and let him go about finding a place to transfer to.

I would hope that if McDonald is suspended for all of fall camp, that the decision would be made to redshirt him. He didn't get a ton of time last year and it would be tough for him to get much time this season without practicing.

That would be a pretty crappy thing to do to the kid. If you are going to pull his scholarship, you should do it immediately and let him go about finding a place to transfer to.

I would hope that if McDonald is suspended for all of fall camp, that the decision would be made to redshirt him. He didn't get a ton of time last year and it would be tough for him to get much time this season without practicing.

Does the guy deserve any better? Probably not. Kill already gave him a second chance and if he defers the decision until the end of camp, it is to the benefit of the Gophers. The Gophers deserve the benefit in this situation not Andre, he was the one who screwed up AGAIN.

The kid did the crappy thing to the team, not the other way around. Coach Kill isn't doing anything to McDonald except saying I don't have time right now to figure your mess out because I am in the middle of preparing 119 other players for the most important football season in their lives. Besides, Andre can quit today if he wants to look for a different team. It's his choice.

^ I think there should be one thread titled "football" and only Parski can post and reply and the rest of us get the privilege to read it.

Are you sure that would be a good idea? That would mean all we could do is listen to Parski talk to himself. That scares me a bit.:rolleyes:

I trust that Coach Kill, who has dealt with far bigger/tougher things in his life thus far, will know how to deal with this situation with Andre. Not going to lose any sleep over it or dwell on it for the next two weeks.

To some of you rubes who will likely just turn this thread into a stupid, multi-page, pissing match among yourselves......have fun weirdos.

I trust that Coach Kill, who has dealt with far bigger/tougher things in his life thus far, will know how to deal with this situation with Andre. Not going to lose any sleep over it or dwell on it for the next two weeks.

To some of you rubes who will likely just turn this thread into a stupid, multi-page, pissing match among yourselves......have fun weirdos.

Now that's just too funny.

I have my doubts that he will play for the U, but it really depends on the violation.

I don't jump down your throat like a lot of posters here, but are you really calling out BleedGopher, of all people, to start a thread?

I don't jump down your throat like a lot of posters here, but are you really calling out BleedGopher, of all people, to start a thread?

No kidding. And believe it or not some of us don't have unlimited time to actually read every thread before determining whether to post something.

I have my doubts that he will play for the U, but it really depends on the violation.

None of us know. It is Jerry Kill's hand, thank god not the GopherHole's, so maybe the best thing we can do is follow the advice of supadupafly per the following:

"Originally Posted by supadupafly" I trust that Coach Kill, who has dealt with far bigger/tougher things in his life thus far, will know how to deal with this situation with Andre. Not going to lose any sleep over it or dwell on it for the next two weeks.

None of us know. It is Jerry Kill's hand, thank god not the GopherHole's, so maybe the best thing we can do is follow the advice of supadupafly per the following:

+100

So far we know he was suspended for the bowl game and spring practice to get his grades in order. At the time termed a "violation of team rules". And now he is out for fall practice, for an undisclosed violation. I'm sure the detectives here have already checked the arrest records, so I'm assuming it's a minor violation. Lets not start painting with too broad a brush yet.

I will be supporting Andre and hoping for the best outcome for him. I hope whatever the issue is, gets resolved and Andre and the team can make it past whatever the issue is.

Coach Kill, I hope, will do everything he can to support the kid first and foremost. Based on previous stores about him, I trust that he will.

I just got a text from his Mom's best friend who says Andre is the most talented WR on the team.

I worked with a guy who was an assistant at Hopkins while McDonald was there. He hated the fact that McDonald basically made his own rules in high school (when he would practice, what positions he would play), and that the head coach enabled it. The guy said the Gophers would be better off without him when he originally committed to Vanderbilt.

I just got a text from his Mom's best friend who says Andre is the most talented WR on the team.

LOL. I was wondering when someone was going to weave the AJ factor into this thread. Just be prepared for his apologist that will tell you that AM was just standing up for himself from Kill's abuse.

Sadly, that's probably true. No Barker, McDonald, and DCT leaves this team considerably lacking in size/speed combinations on the outside.

Maye and Harbison are slot/interior guys (my guess is that Eric Carter is as well, but others that have viewed practice could speak to that better than me). Leaving us with Engel, Freuchte, and then probably true freshman Wolitarsky and Jones (who just switched positions) as our outside options.

Parski1, I apologize for not being more descriptive in my thread title. I figured that titling the thread "PiPress: Andre McDonald out of fall camp for a violation of team rules" would be enough description that that for those wishing to learn more about this news, or wanting to discuss it, that the description would give a hint as to what would be posted. Apparently it wasn't descriptive enough for you, as I can't imagine anyone reading the title of this thread would click on it expecting to read something else; nor can I imagine anyone not wanting to discuss this would still click on it, and still post in said thread just to say they didn't know why anyone would post this news. I also can't imagine anyone expecting that any news (especially as big of this) about Gopher WRs should go into a thread initially posted to discuss the depth of said position.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom