Tailgating

gophernewb

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new to the site and heard that this was a good place for questions on all things related Gophers, but anyways, me and 4 of my buddies are headed to the MN-Iowa game and wanted to do a full blown tailgate while we're there. Its the first time 3 of them will be at a Gopher game. I was wondering what your opinion was on the best tailgate sites and what we'd have to do to get a pass to tailgate in those areas? And then if anyone has advice on anything to bring that we might not think of or rules we need to make sure we remember, that'd be awesome too!

Thanks,

GN

Hey everyone. I'm new to the site and heard that this was a good place for questions on all things related Gophers, but anyways, me and 4 of my buddies are headed to the MN-Iowa game and wanted to do a full blown tailgate while we're there. Its the first time 3 of them will be at a Gopher game. I was wondering what your opinion was on the best tailgate sites and what we'd have to do to get a pass to tailgate in those areas? And then if anyone has advice on anything to bring that we might not think of or rules we need to make sure we remember, that'd be awesome too!

Thanks,

GN

You can usually find tailgate passes on stubhub, but those will cost a pretty penny. If you don't mind walking a mile with part of it up hill you can park in the lots near the river. Otherwise St. Paul runs shuttles and drop you off right by the student section entrance. One thing to note is no charcoal grills are allowed. Do not forget chairs to sit on, coolers rarely fit more than one rear.

You can usually find tailgate passes on stubhub, but those will cost a pretty penny. If you don't mind walking a mile with part of it up hill you can park in the lots near the river. Otherwise St. Paul runs shuttles and drop you off right by the student section entrance. One thing to note is no charcoal grills are allowed. Do not forget chairs to sit on, coolers rarely fit more than one rear.

Especially if it is a Fuzzy Rump!!! :)

Thanks,

GN

Find a pass for the Ski-U-Mah lot, stub hub or ticket king should have some at relatively reasonable prices. Much less than what you have to pay for the entire year.

All the tailgate lots are decent. You will want to start looking on Stubhub or craigslist and hope you can find a spot. Expect to pay $100-$200. You can do it for less if you are taking shuttles or parking in the river flats, but for a guaranteed pass to a traditional tailgate spot in one of the "blue" or "green" lots shown on a campus gameday parking ramp, it will cost some $$$.

Fuzzy, is it really a full mile from the river flats? Usually when I tailgate there, I am enough beers deeps that the walk feels like a solid 200 yards or so. Either way, I have always had a good time by the river.

Here is one lot that might be appealing. It is $10 and like others have said it's a 1 mile walk to stadium.
Note some of the rules like no charcoal or glass :(
East River Flats Parking Lot
360 East River Road
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Automobiles, $10
Open 8am-10pm
East River Flats is a Minneapolis City Park, located along the banks of the Mississippi River along the edge of campus.
Tailgating is permitted in East River Flats. Rules:
•Tailgating may begin six hours before game time, but no earlier than 8am.
•Tailgating must end four hours after game time or 11pm, whichever comes first.
•All vehicles must leave at 11 p.m.
•Green space within the parking lot or other designated surfaces may be used for tailgating.
•Tailgating is NOT permitted on any other Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board property unless authorized.
•Illegal parking will be strictly enforced. Violators will be subject to tagging and towing at the owner’s expense.
•No saving parking spaces.
•Gas grills must not exceed a propane cylinder size of 20 pounds.
•Open charcoal or wood fires are not permitted.
•Tents and awnings must not block adjacent parking spaces or drive aisle. No stakes allowed.
•Portable generators are permitted.
•Kegs and other common source alcohol containers are not permitted.
•No glass containers are permitted in the park

Oh and welcome GopherNewb! You guys will have a blast (as long as you are not Hawkeyes fans).

Oh and welcome GopherNewb! You guys will have a blast (as long as you are not Hawkeyes fans).

Nice catch, with Iowa part of the "Two-Pack" it's a short money bet that they are.

thanks for all the help everyone. i'll definitely get on checking those areas out

and just so you all know, I. HATE. IOWA.

Here here! I will raise a glass to that as well!
Half of Iowa's population will be Minnesota that day, and the other 30,000 will be "tending" to the critters.

all i know is no matter how much i drink i'm staying out of the bathrooms. wouldn't want something like lois on my resume.

A few comments from my experience:

Here is one lot that might be appealing. It is $10 and like others have said it's a 1 mile walk to stadium.
Note some of the rules like no charcoal or glass :(
East River Flats Parking Lot
360 East River Road
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Automobiles, $10
Open 8am-10pm
East River Flats is a Minneapolis City Park, located along the banks of the Mississippi River along the edge of campus.
Tailgating is permitted in East River Flats. Rules:
•Tailgating may begin six hours before game time, but no earlier than 8am.
•Tailgating must end four hours after game time or 11pm, whichever comes first.
•All vehicles must leave at 11 p.m.
I got a ticket because I left my car there during the hockey game at night and got back to it around 10 PM. I appealed to the city and got it waived but kinda a PITA. Anyway, might be worth moving it if you are sober enough and plan on sticking around campus for a while.
•Green space within the parking lot or other designated surfaces may be used for tailgating.
•Tailgating is NOT permitted on any other Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board property unless authorized.
•Illegal parking will be strictly enforced. Violators will be subject to tagging and towing at the owner’s expense.
•No saving parking spaces.
Don't worry about it. It's never packed
•Gas grills must not exceed a propane cylinder size of 20 pounds.
•Open charcoal or wood fires are not permitted.
•Tents and awnings must not block adjacent parking spaces or drive aisle. No stakes allowed.
•Portable generators are permitted.
•Kegs and other common source alcohol containers are not permitted.
•No glass containers are permitted in the park
We've brought hard alcohol and just left it in the trunk, back of the SUV or in a cooler.

I wouldn't really recommend this lot if you're looking for the best experience. I'm sure there will be plenty of people down there for the Iowa game but it's never packed like Ski-U-Mah or Lot 37 where we upgraded to this year. Those lots have the diehards and some of the really cool custom tailgate vehicles. If you really want to do it right then find a ticket for one of those lots.

A few comments from my experience:

I wouldn't really recommend this lot if you're looking for the best experience. I'm sure there will be plenty of people down there for the Iowa game but it's never packed like Ski-U-Mah or Lot 37 where we upgraded to this year. Those lots have the diehards and some of the really cool custom tailgate vehicles. If you really want to do it right then find a ticket for one of those lots.

I am really hoping to be able to upgrade to one of these lots soon!

I'm a Minneapolis resident who came by some cheap Gopher season tickets, so I'll be going to a few non-conference games and the Badger game.

It sounds like we either have to shell out an arm and a leg or walk forever to tailgate, huh? There are no other options?

How receptive are people in the official lots to people showing up with a cooler of beer and a package of brats and joining in? I'll be wearing neutral colors, my gf will be rocking the maroon and gold.

I'm a Minneapolis resident who came by some cheap Gopher season tickets, so I'll be going to a few non-conference games and the Badger game.

It sounds like we either have to shell out an arm and a leg or walk forever to tailgate, huh? There are no other options?

How receptive are people in the official lots to people showing up with a cooler of beer and a package of brats and joining in? I'll be wearing neutral colors, my gf will be rocking the maroon and gold.

i know people who have done this a few times in the past and they were welcomed with open arms. now they were all gopher fans too. i suggest you look for a larger group that looks like everyone is just kind of hanging, drinking, playing games like bags or tossing a ball and it is obviously not a super tight, close-knit group that really doesn't want randoms hanging around. as would be the case at most any stadium tailgate lot around the country.

the key for you will to be cool and not try to engage in too many pissing matches about minnesota vs. wisconsin. because just like a group of badger fans in madison wouldn't really want to deal/hear that crap all tailgate long from minnesota fans, gopher fans in minneapolis don't want to hear it either. just go and show that you guys just want to have a good time and hang and you will likely find a group without too much trouble. now it will definitely help that your GF is a gopher fan and will be sporting her maroon & gold. :)

Don't be a fool, protect your stool

i know people who have done this a few times in the past and they were welcomed with open arms. now they were all gopher fans too. i suggest you look for a larger group that looks like everyone is just kind of hanging, drinking, playing games like bags or tossing a ball and it is obviously not a super tight, close-knit group that really doesn't want randoms hanging around. as would be the case at most any stadium tailgate lot around the country.

the key for you will to be cool and not try to engage in too many pissing matches about minnesota vs. wisconsin. because just like a group of badger fans in madison wouldn't really want to deal/hear that crap all tailgate long from minnesota fans, gopher fans in minneapolis don't want to hear it either. just go and show that you guys just want to have a good time and hang and you will likely find a group without too much trouble. now it will definitely help that your GF is a gopher fan and will be sporting her maroon & gold. :)

Also, please remember this one simple rule. Tell your friends :pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig:

photo.jpg

Cool, I think we'll try this. I'm actually going to be cheering for the Gophers except for on November 23rd. Conference needs them to get better.

Cool, I think we'll try this. I'm actually going to be cheering for the Gophers except for on November 23rd. Conference needs them to get better.

You can hang out with us on the 23rd. My girlfriend is one of those bucky twerps.. I mean graduates too :)

Its a good time, though. plenty of my friends like bucky but still come to the other games and have fun. Some even wear maroon and gold.

Bucky: I'd also recommend perhaps giving a beer or four to people as somewhat of a "welcoming" gift. You'll probably run into a few groups that will think it's weird, but you'll find some that are good time people also and won't have a problem.

It shouldn't be too bad. I remember all of the goofy Huskerdoofs that were in the lots. They were a pretty good group for the most part. Respectful and fun. That's pretty much what you should be. I think most of us that tailgate don't really mind as long as you're there to enjoy some football and some good company. I know my group doesn't care what team you cheer for as long as you're cool about it.

I'm still a bit irked about the 2 p.m. start to tailgating. I had my girlfriend swing by the lots today just to see how many cars were there. Well, we were a day late, it was filled with State Fair parking. Which begs the question, if they can fill the lot for the State Fair, where do employees park and why can't it be opened to tailgaters all just like if it were open for the fair?

There must be another reason that hasn't been shared.

I'm still a bit irked about the 2 p.m. start to tailgating. I had my girlfriend swing by the lots today just to see how many cars were there. Well, we were a day late, it was filled with State Fair parking. Which begs the question, if they can fill the lot for the State Fair, where do employees park and why can't it be opened to tailgaters all just like if it were open for the fair?

There must be another reason that hasn't been shared.

What happens if it is loaded with State Fair goers next Thursday?

Top Bottom