Wide Receivers

Spoofin

Reaction score
First, although this shows as post #1 for me, I am not new to this site. I have followed the site for many years and even posted a handful of times a number of years back. I gave up posting after just 1-week as within that time I was savaged by 98% of this site for a)stating Harold Howell was not a legit B1G player and he was not just “1 step away” from breaking multiple touchdowns; and b)stating that Clint Brewster was too small to ever play in the B1G. I swore off posting after those incidents, but have decided to give it another shot. I am a huge Gopher Fan, Minnesota alumni, and I have been a season ticket holder for well over a decade (going to games regularly for 2-3 decades). I frequent practices in the spring and the fall, when Kill allows. I have been to a few this fall including last Saturday’s scrimmage. From everything I have seen and read there is one area that continues to concern me greatly and above all others (including LB), and that is WR.

IMO Harbison and Maye have looked good, but they are the same type of receiver and Harbison's health concerns me (was held out of Saturday's scrimmage). I have not seen any other WR stand out in 11-on-11 drills or in the scrimmage. I basically saw zero down-field separation in the entire scrimmage (and was watching the wide-outs closely). I'm just not sure who is going to step up???

I am excited about McDonald, but have not seen him stand out (yet). I have heard great things about Wolitarsky and Carter, but I thought both were invisible in the scrimmage. I know that was just 1 day, but on the flip side these guys are all young and inexperienced and expecting them to be major contributors this year is asking a lot. I saw a post on this site in the last week or so saying we can’t play both Wolitarsky and Carter this year because then they will graduate with Harbison - we need to "space" them… Silly – we need someone this year and we have 4-years to find their replacement(s). There is no other position on our team that is weaker than WR and our most talented players need to be out there this year – period. That leads me to Donovahn Jones….

I haven't seen a ton of posts about Donovahn on this site, but he has been the one player that has stood out to me the most thus far (especially at the scrimmage). What stands out is his unbelievable athleticism. At QB and in his few plays at WR last Saturday it was obvious that he is a special athlete. He is way too athletic to sit at #3 (or #4) QB this year and he is too athletic to sit at all for this team right now. He has great speed, he can jump to the moon, he has good hands – and he showed on the deep sideline pass Saturday that he can go up and get the catch. Kill still hasn't decided if he will move full-time to WR, but I think he has to. I'm sure Kill realizes this to. Him being able to pick up the position quickly may be our last chance for a deep threat by the opening of the B1G season. I realize that is a big statement at this point (and again relying on a Freshman), but that is what I have found myself thinking after all 3 practices I watched this year.

Thoughts? Who have others seen in person that they think I am overlooking (that can be a difference maker)? Talk me off the ledge.....

First, although this shows as post #1 for me, I am not new to this site. I have followed the site for many years and even posted a handful of times a number of years back. I gave up posting after just 1-week as within that time I was savaged by 98% of this site for a)stating Harold Howell was not a legit B1G player and he was not just “1 step away” from breaking multiple touchdowns; and b)stating that Clint Brewster was too small to ever play in the B1G. I swore off posting after those incidents, but have decided to give it another shot. I am a huge Gopher Fan, Minnesota alumni, and I have been a season ticket holder for well over a decade (going to games regularly for 2-3 decades). I frequent practices in the spring and the fall, when Kill allows. I have been to a few this fall including last Saturday’s scrimmage. From everything I have seen and read there is one area that continues to concern me greatly and above all others (including LB), and that is WR.

IMO Harbison and Maye have looked good, but they are the same type of receiver and Harbison's health concerns me (was held out of Saturday's scrimmage). I have not seen any other WR stand out in 11-on-11 drills or in the scrimmage. I basically saw zero down-field separation in the entire scrimmage (and was watching the wide-outs closely). I'm just not sure who is going to step up???

I am excited about McDonald, but have not seen him stand out (yet). I have heard great things about Wolitarsky and Carter, but I thought both were invisible in the scrimmage. I know that was just 1 day, but on the flip side these guys are all young and inexperienced and expecting them to be major contributors this year is asking a lot. I saw a post on this site in the last week or so saying we can’t play both Wolitarsky and Carter this year because then they will graduate with Harbison - we need to "space" them… Silly – we need someone this year and we have 4-years to find their replacement(s). There is no other position on our team that is weaker than WR and our most talented players need to be out there this year – period. That leads me to Donovahn Jones….

I haven't seen a ton of posts about Donovahn on this site, but he has been the one player that has stood out to me the most thus far (especially at the scrimmage). What stands out is his unbelievable athleticism. At QB and in his few plays at WR last Saturday it was obvious that he is a special athlete. He is way too athletic to sit at #3 (or #4) QB this year and he is too athletic to sit at all for this team right now. He has great speed, he can jump to the moon, he has good hands – and he showed on the deep sideline pass Saturday that he can go up and get the catch. Kill still hasn't decided if he will move full-time to WR, but I think he has to. I'm sure Kill realizes this to. Him being able to pick up the position quickly may be our last chance for a deep threat by the opening of the B1G season. I realize that is a big statement at this point (and again relying on a Freshman), but that is what I have found myself thinking after all 3 practices I watched this year.

Thoughts? Who have others seen in person that they think I am overlooking (that can be a difference maker)? Talk me off the ledge.....

I agree about Jones. He made a very difficult catch and he should be in there from day 1.
McDonald in my opinion is a super athlete who should be able to excel. I don't know why you ignored the 2 leading returners, Fruchte and Engle. They will do the job. We have depth there and this should not be a weak position. You were dead right about Howell and Clint. You may be wrong about the wr position

Welcome back to posting.

I appreciate your perspective and analysis. We've struggled the last few years to either recruit or develop a game changing WR, though they don't fall out of trees. Our most effective WR last year was a walk-on who quit and there's a good chance our most effective WR this year will be a walk-on again.

It sounds as if a position change decision on Donovahn will be made soon, and I anticipate that the staff will recognize what you did, that we need play-makers and he is one.

McDonald has loads of potential and Wolitarsky has the tools, we just need to find out if he can adapt to Big Ten coverage speed.

Go Gophers!!

Halsey Hall - I hope I'm wrong and never would have predicted AJ's year LY, but I am concerned. I'm not ignoring IF or DE, I think they are OK - but not difference makers. I also do think that McDonald, Wolitarsky, and Carter all have great potential (couldn't be happier that they are Gophers - Andre may be my favorite player) - I'm just concerned about what we are going to do in 2013. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Hopefully this year, the ratio of runs to pass will favor the run. Roughly 40 rushes 18 passes. What will be key is the completion percentage for first down. Whether it is thrown and caught beyond the marker or yards after the catch. And it doesn't matter who catches it. Tight End, Back out of the backfield, slot or wide receiver. If Nelson can complete 60 percent, and we can run the ball for 200 plus it should be a great mix. One stat I would like to see charted is receiver errors. Dropped balls, wrong route, missed blocks, fumbles. Catches, yardage, and errors.

Halsey Hall - I hope I'm wrong and never would have predicted AJ's year LY, but I am concerned. I'm not ignoring IF or DE, I think they are OK - but not difference makers. I also do think that McDonald, Wolitarsky, and Carter all have great potential (couldn't be happier that they are Gophers - Andre may be my favorite player) - I'm just concerned about what we are going to do in 2013. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Every position in a sense is open to being great or a disappointment. I'm not saying you're wrong. Just I'm an eternal optimist for the Gophers. I have been that way since Bernie Bierman was the coach. Every year I think they'll be better than the last year. I've been right about 3 times.

In the one practice that I saw, I was impressed with Brian Smith. Seems to have size and hands, runs good routes, but not going to stretch the field.

Every position in a sense is open to being great or a disappointment. I'm not saying you're wrong. Just I'm an eternal optimist for the Gophers. I have been that way since Bernie Bierman was the coach. Every year I think they'll be better than the last year. I've been right about 3 times.

I like your attitude. As I always say, I'd rather be an optimist and be wrong, than a pessimist and be right. Sadly, when it comes to sports, I'm wrong more than right as a result of my attitude.

Go Gophers!!

Engel and Freuchte

I have attended 2 practices and the scrimmage also. I have been much more impressed than you with Engel and Fruechte. They are the best receivers and have looked very good in practices. They have worked extremely hard during the off season on conditioning and improving their skills. Isaac is a very good blocker in addition to having excellent speed. They can make plays consistently and are good leaders. Engel is a great athlete and is a very good returner as well. He is one of the fastest Gophers and has a great vertical jump.Derek was wide open in the end zone and was badly under thrown on a play I noticed.

I agree that Jones has a bright future at receiver. However that was the firs time he lined up at a position other than QB.
I also like Harbison at slot and Maye at slot. Wolitarsky runs good routes and has good hands. I like his future.
Carter is more the size of Maye and Harbison but sure has potential.
McDonald has potential to be very very good. He needs consistentcy.I also like another walk on- Aaron Marmer.He has good size and good hands.

I hope the OL can protect the QBs so they can use the WRs and exploit defenses.

Wasn't one of the reasons that Jones came here was that he was told that he would get a chance at QB? Not saying that he won't move, but it might not be an automatic right out of the box. Or am I thinking of Streveler?

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate, too what degree has improvement in the defensive backfield, contributed to the poor showings by the receivers? We had the fourth best pass defense in the B1G last year, it's better this year, that just might be masking exactly how the receivers are doing. The coaches get to break down the tape and appear to be satisfied with the receivers that's good enough for me.

I like your attitude. As I always say, I'd rather be an optimist and be wrong, than a pessimist and be right. Sadly, when it comes to sports, I'm wrong more than right as a result of my attitude.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Bleed. You have my respect

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate, too what degree has improvement in the defensive backfield, contributed to the poor showings by the receivers? We had the fourth best pass defense in the B1G last year, it's better this year, that just might be masking exactly how the receivers are doing. The coaches get to break down the tape and appear to be satisfied with the receivers that's good enough for me.

Exactly. I was just thinking about the UNLV game last year. We had receivers WIDE open down field and Gray was badly missing them. It was not the receivers last year and it may not be them this year. It was the QB last year and I thought Nelson looked 25% better last Saturday. This leads me to be very confident.

Wide Receivers are certainly a concern, I have heard dissenting opinions on the ability of Eric Carter/Drew W to play right away. Someone has to separate down the field (Fruechte had some success last year in this area, but not enough) and not just be a possession guy.

What will help the WR's more than anything would be the Gophers getting more out of their first down runs and get in to more of those 2nd and 2 or 3 situations that are great for taking a shot down the field. If the safeties are crashing down on play action and we still don't have anybody who can get open down the field, it will be tough overcome that.

100%

Wasn't one of the reasons that Jones came here was that he was told that he would get a chance at QB? Not saying that he won't move, but it might not be an automatic right out of the box. Or am I thinking of Streveler?

You are right on Jones. He was "told" he would get a shot at QB and I am sure they are giving it to him. I am also sure (not based on inside knowledge of this particular situation but based on many hours around teams and coaches) that when they signed him they knew he was going to be a WR despite what they may have told him to get him to sign on the dotted line. You leave open the possibility of being wrong, Marion Barber III was recruited as a DB but asked for a shot at RB but if you look at the recruiting of Jones nearly everyone was viewing him as a WR, that should tell you something about his long term future at QB. Combine that with the need for quality WR and it is pretty easy to see the writing on the wall.

As to the OP, I have been on record being very concerned about the WR corps, was last year at this time and still am this year. Maybe this group will surprise us but until we see it on the field against Big Ten defenses it is tough to be overly excited about a unit that returns very little production from the year before. Heck Barker missed almost half the year and was still our most productive receiver by a long shot.

I agree. I also want receivers that can get open against the best secondary in the B1G. That could take another minute to accomplish. We have come a long ways in a short time and I think we are better than we dare to believe with a killer of a schedule. Glad there is an OOC break in quality opponents to begin with this year.

If you are talking about a WR that can just blow past people, you are right we don't have one. However, I actually think Engel is a fair deep threat, he can get open and he is faster than people think. If Fruechte learns how to adjust to a long pass, he could also be a deep threat.
I have no problem playing both Carter and Wolitarski if they can help. I hope we do not have to play Jones at WR, because an athlete such as he is can be great in this offense at QB, but I doubt Kill will wait if he is the real deal at WR.

Spoofin, welcome back and stick around this time!

I am optimistic about many aspects of this year's team and it's mostly because I am really excited for the season. I think both Engle and Fruchte have good hands and have shown the ability to get open at times. Michigan State and Nebraska dared the Gophers to pass last year, and from what I remember, the receivers did not get much separation. I really hope the depth at WR and a healthy Oline will allow us to move the ball against the better teams this year.

A reason I remain optimistic about our receivers is not their talent (or lack there of) but the offense that we will be running. Since what Kill is looking for in the passing game is going to be more play-action based, our receivers will have the advantage of scheme working for them. The bowl game seems to me a (somewhat) decent indicator of what our receiving game could look like when the O gets going. Plus, how long has the defense played against this offense. After a while they have a tendency to know what is coming. As long as the receivers are not dropping the balls that are catchable, I think (maybe more hope) that we will be just fine.

A reason I remain optimistic about our receivers is not their talent (or lack there of) but the offense that we will be running. Since what Kill is looking for in the passing game is going to be more play-action based, our receivers will have the advantage of scheme working for them. The bowl game seems to me a (somewhat) decent indicator of what our receiving game could look like when the O gets going. Plus, how long has the defense played against this offense. After a while they have a tendency to know what is coming. As long as the receivers are not dropping the balls that are catchable, I think (maybe more hope) that we will be just fine.

Exactly.
Limegrover/Kill haven't relied upon gamebreaker type receivers typically.
Would they take one? Heck yeah, but they set the passing game up for success with a strong and effecient running game and multiple play fakes/run action to scuk the D into thinking run first, pass second. The WR's need to catch the ball when it hits them in the hands, and run smart enough routes to get themselves free. Anything else is frosting.
Had Barker not been a nut, we'd likely be predicted to have a 1000 yard receiver coming back, and he had 1 catch coming into the year.
It's all going to be on Nelson and the running game, and that's how Limegrover's offenses have had success in the past.

I am very confident in our WR corps as a group. There is ALWAYS a receiver(s) that comes out of "nowhere" to make an impact, whether at WR or TE. You'd be hard pressed to think of a year when this didn't happen. As long as you get the ball out there, the catches will come. Even when our passing has been shaky, there are guys that rise to the occasion. If you believe that Nelson will have a decent year, then our receiving corps will have one by default. The offense will be designed and players will be used to benefit each receiver's strength. That's the beauty of depth, which I truly believe we really have--maybe for the first time in many, many years--at WR and TE. We have speed guys, possession guys, height guys, muscle guys, gritty guys and various combinations thereof. I think you will see this by the time the NC is done.

The way Minnesota uses their TEs in the passing game will really help open things up at WR. I even saw FB Mike Henry catch a practice TD pass on a post pattern.

We've been having this doomsday conversation for years, and yet everything seems to work out. Not always outstanding results, but there's always a guy that comes on solid, and even big at times.

I think Minnesota will spread the ball around so much that opposing defenses will not be sure who to cover. That's the beauty of not having an apparent star. Look at our roster. Imagine a single back set with Fruechte and Engel paired with McDonald and Harbison. Sub in Maye. Or inside the red zone--Wolitarsky or Fruechte or Engel with Maxx Williams and Wozniak. Or with Goodger or Plsek. How about a 3 TE set with a 4th in the I?

Minnesota may have two or three guys that jump up to "star" status this year at WR and TE. You can bet on it.

I would look at this as being much like what Michigan did with Devin Gardner. With Denard Robinson as their QB it made sense to take a very talented Gardner and move him to the wide receiver position. Note that Gardner was able to quickly revert back to his primary position. I can see Jones playing a very similar role. We need playmakers and Jones has great potential to be a playmaker.

wide receivers

I am very confident in our WR corps as a group. There is ALWAYS a receiver(s) that comes out of "nowhere" to make an impact, whether at WR or TE. You'd be hard pressed to think of a year when this didn't happen. As long as you get the ball out there, the catches will come. Even when our passing has been shaky, there are guys that rise to the occasion. If you believe that Nelson will have a decent year, then our receiving corps will have one by default. The offense will be designed and players will be used to benefit each receiver's strength. That's the beauty of depth, which I truly believe we really have--maybe for the first time in many, many years--at WR and TE. We have speed guys, possession guys, height guys, muscle guys, gritty guys and various combinations thereof. I think you will see this by the time the NC is done.

The way Minnesota uses their TEs in the passing game will really help open things up at WR. I even saw FB Mike Henry catch a practice TD pass on a post pattern.

We've been having this doomsday conversation for years, and yet everything seems to work out. Not always outstanding results, but there's always a guy that comes on solid, and even big at times.

I think Minnesota will spread the ball around so much that opposing defenses will not be sure who to cover. That's the beauty of not having an apparent star. Look at our roster. Imagine a single back set with Fruechte and Engel paired with McDonald and Harbison. Sub in Maye. Or inside the red zone--Wolitarsky or Fruechte or Engel with Maxx Williams and Wozniak. Or with Goodger or Plsek. How about a 3 TE set with a 4th in the I?

Minnesota may have two or three guys that jump up to "star" status this year at WR and TE. You can bet on it.

You are spot on. I am very confident in this group.

I'm not worried about the WR's that much either.

In some ways, you might look at the WR's similarly to the RB's; it's not just the elite receiving/playmaking that will get you on the field, it's the entire package. How well you know the playbook, how well you BLOCK, route-running, etc. The same thing that is keeping Cobb from more carries apparently. He needs to be more the complete package.

Some of us may not think Engel and Fruechte are that 'sexy' as WRs but I would imagine right now they are the closest to the full package as the Gophers have right now.

D Jones was promised a shot to play quarterback that is the only reason we got him

To me in crunch time if i'm Phillip Nelson, I'm looking for Maxx Williams at the TE spot to go make a play. He has the chance to be a go to guy in crunch time that is going to go make an explosive play. That and Wozniak is 6-9 how many people are going to be able to cover that giant?

You Spoofin,may be right in your observations that because he Jones is a gifted athlete, especially fluid speed and vertical jump that he could help the Gophers at wide receiver, doesn't mean he should be sold short for the opportunity to play quarterback at least in the years to come. The fact remains the coaching staff promised him an equal chance
to play quarterback as wide receiver, coach Z and coach Kill did that and if your going to make those things known, if you do not follow through with a commitment like that it is going to affect recruiting now and in to the future. They the coaching staff owe him Jones the opportunity to develop as a player either wide receiver or quarterback.
To me they owe the kid the honest effort to at least compete at the quarterback spot. I think he can play wide receiver as a true freshman, he is likely top two beside Berkely Edwards or Hank Epke, that will not red shirt this year and the Gophers usually do not get this type of athlete as a player. Would I like to see him play receiver, for selfish reasons as a fan I say yes, at the same time I see him with the ball in his hands at QB and I really like that option too. Chris Strevlar has just about as fast a wheels and could help us at the wide receiver spot too, I'm hoping both kids play WR this year to help the team and down the road get an equal shot at quarterback.
Why ordain one over the other now. Just pre-ordaining him a wide receiver now is not really fair to the kid, not as a true freshman.

How many types of kids
do we usually get that can change the game with the ball in there hands back there at QB with one play? Jones is that gifted that he could do that. I don't want to see the kid Jones, or the coaches sell him short, if he doesn't have it at QB time
will be the judge on that. For this year I agree with you Spoofin, I would like to see him at receiver,
for the long haul let the kid and the coaches work that out. Gardner was told he would be a wide receiver only and he bailed out the Michigan coaching staff when push came to shove and they got lucky. Hopefully we do not get to that point. Some kids have it in games like Gardner and rise to the ocassion, that is why I say don't pre-judge him now. I don't think Kill and staff are going to sell the kid short of a chance like that.

Great points made in this thread. I love football discussions like this and truly I am more optimistic after reading some of these takes.

I do think Jones should have the opportunity to play QB - but I don't think that means he can't play WR this year. Jones knew that WR was likely for him when he came here. At some point (well after fall camp of his Freshman year) the coaches should get to make that decision - but at this point they do owe it to him to give him a say. I have made the assumption that Jones would rather play at WR than be #3 or #4 at WR this year.

We Gopher fans know all too well the debate of elite athletes that we need to decide on whether they are better off at WR or being an inconsistent QB (think #5). I'm not labeling him now - he may turn out to be a great QB, but he isn't going to play there this year and I think he should get on the field to play WR (assuming the coaches and Jones want that) because to me he looks too good to sit on the sidelines. I'm not making any statements about his ability to play QB.

Also, I don't want to sell Engel and Fruechte short, I am fans of both and wish both great success - but I don't see either as the downfield threat this team needs to take some pressure off of Nelson and the running game we want to focus on. From what I have seen (which is a VERY small fraction of what the coaches have seen), I view Jones and McDonald as our candidates for that role and am hoping one can step up. My concern is if neither does. If the coaches don't see McDonald as a strong candidate to do that then I think they should move Jones to WR for the good of the team. For 2013 at least...

To me in crunch time if i'm Phillip Nelson, I'm looking for Maxx Williams at the TE spot to go make a play. He has the chance to be a go to guy in crunch time that is going to go make an explosive play. That and Wozniak is 6-9 how many people are going to be able to cover that giant?

You Spoofin,may be right in your observations that because he Jones is a gifted athlete, especially fluid speed and vertical jump that he could help the Gophers at wide receiver, doesn't mean he should be sold short for the opportunity to play quarterback at least in the years to come. The fact remains the coaching staff promised him an equal chance
to play quarterback as wide receiver, coach Z and coach Kill did that and if your going to make those things known, if you do not follow through with a commitment like that it is going to affect recruiting now and in to the future. They the coaching staff owe him Jones the opportunity to develop as a player either wide receiver or quarterback.
To me they owe the kid the honest effort to at least compete at the quarterback spot. I think he can play wide receiver as a true freshman, he is likely top two beside Berkely Edwards or Hank Epke, that will not red shirt this year and the Gophers usually do not get this type of athlete as a player. Would I like to see him play receiver, for selfish reasons as a fan I say yes, at the same time I see him with the ball in his hands at QB and I really like that option too. Chris Strevlar has just about as fast a wheels and could help us at the wide receiver spot too, I'm hoping both kids play WR this year to help the team and down the road get an equal shot at quarterback.
Why ordain one over the other now. Just pre-ordaining him a wide receiver now is not really fair to the kid, not as a true freshman.

How many types of kids
do we usually get that can change the game with the ball in there hands back there at QB with one play? Jones is that gifted that he could do that. I don't want to see the kid Jones, or the coaches sell him short, if he doesn't have it at QB time
will be the judge on that. For this year I agree with you Spoofin, I would like to see him at receiver,
for the long haul let the kid and the coaches work that out. Gardner was told he would be a wide receiver only and he bailed out the Michigan coaching staff when push came to shove and they got lucky. Hopefully we do not get to that point. Some kids have it in games like Gardner and rise to the ocassion, that is why I say don't pre-judge him now. I don't think Kill and staff are going to sell the kid short of a chance like that.

A lot of thoughts and possibilities in your post. To help me sort out all this I first try to understand their philosophy, then I try to understand the process they use to make their decisions and lastly I listen to what they are saying about the players and how they are doing.

I and others have discussed Kill's football philosophy here a great deal. It starts with recruiting fast athletic players who have upside potential. It also includes playing the best player even if that player is a walk on or if he is a true freshman.

Also on of Kill's core beliefs is that he believes that games are won in the fourth quarter by the stronger team at that time. To give his team the best chance to be in that position he substitutes often. This requires more depth than Minnesota has had in the past and therefore if a true freshman is ready, he has a very good chance to play. I therefore believe we will be several true freshmen who lose their red-shirts this fall.

My second point is that the process to sort all this out is fall camp. Kill and his coaches are obviously looking for certain things that they want to see in a player to know that are able and ready to play. What those things are we would be a great discussion but I doubt that will happen here. One of those traits is looking for is how do they stand up to two a days. This is going on right now and this is when the depth chart is being set.

My third point is that Coach Kill and his staff are pretty transparent and are straightforward about telling us about what they are seeing at practices. We should be able to pretty much know who is going likely to be seeing the field much. Just check out Joe Christensen's and Nate Sandell blogs from today.

Top Bottom