STrib: Lakeville's Podominick makes sacrifices to pursue Olympics discus dream

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Podominick, 28, has given up a second sport, left a dream job, drained her savings account and moved to two far-flung cities. The farther she has pushed herself, the farther she has thrown, culminating in her greatest distance yet: the 5,352 miles from her training base in Portland, Ore., to Moscow, where she will compete this week in her first world championships.

Podominick finished third in the USA Track and Field national championships in June with a throw of 199 feet, one inch. That earned her a spot on the U.S. team for the world meet, where she will join fellow Americans Gia Lewis-Smallwood and Whitney Ashley in Saturday’s preliminaries of the women’s discus. The top 12 qualifiers from the field of 27 will advance to Sunday’s finals.

After finishing a disappointing fifth in the U.S. Olympic Trials last summer, Podominick moved from Colorado Springs to Portland to train full-time with discus guru Mac Wilkins. Despite hip and shoulder injuries that hampered her training earlier this year, she has added 7½ feet to her distance this season, throwing a personal-best 207-9 in June and delivering the breakthrough performance she has sought for so long.

“While I absolutely loved training and living in Colorado, I knew I needed to work with Mac [for the next four years] to make the 2016 Olympic team,” said Podominick by e-mail from Austria, where she was training for Moscow. “It has been extremely hard financially, and I live day by day, month by month, trusting that God will provide.

“It’s been my goal all season to make the world team and start the new quad off with some international experience. It’s definitely gratifying that I accomplished that goal.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/218781931.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom