Advice for Novice/First time fan

DeLaSalle vs St. Croix Lutheran (no worry about rental car here) - Reid Travis monster QB-might be the only one in the country at his position with his unique size/athleticism, not to mention his basketball ability

I recommend this one for the additional cool reason of simply the location: on a small island in the middle of the Mississippi River right above the only waterfalls on said river.

Outstanding story, and great suggestions by everyone.

I'll throw out another sports suggestion. If you're interested in seeing baseball, the Twins are in town all week, and Target Field is a wonderful venue. And despite the horrible product that the Twins provide, the Oakland Athletics will be in town and they are a quality squad to see play. Tickets shouldn't be too hard to come by, and you'll get a chance to see the downtown area if you park down there and eat/drink nearby.

And hey, if you see a guy at the game with a Maroon an Gold Gopher Bandanna strapped to his head, stop over and say 'hi'. Always good to meet a Gopherholer.

Johnob2,
I always love hearing stories from across the pond on how fans over there become fans of American teams. There really isn't a recommendation I can give that hasn't been given already except for hitting up the University bookstore. That's where I get 80% of my maroon and gold gear. It's in the Coffman Memorial Union building. Parking ramp is right next to it (just south). Easily found on a map.

Welcome to the board, and post often!

Outstanding story, and great suggestions by everyone.

I'll throw out another sports suggestion. If you're interested in seeing baseball, the Twins are in town all week, and Target Field is a wonderful venue. And despite the horrible product that the Twins provide, the Oakland Athletics will be in town and they are a quality squad to see play. Tickets shouldn't be too hard to come by, and you'll get a chance to see the downtown area if you park down there and eat/drink nearby.

And hey, if you see a guy at the game with a Maroon an Gold Gopher Bandanna strapped to his head, stop over and say 'hi'. Always good to meet a Gopherholer.

Whatever, Tiger lover. Get out of that stadium.. =P

Greetings!

Take some time to walk around the West Bank campus in daylight on a weekday, when there's a lot of activity - particularly around the older buildings on the West Bank campus around the Knoll and the Mall! (There are parking ramps). Walk out over the river on the Washington Ave bridge, where you get a good view up and down the river. Get some lunch in Dinkytown or Stadium Village. It isn't the most fancy manicured University, but it's a big campus with lots of big buildings and historic architecture, and the campus landscape is part of the culture you should take the chance to see.

Also, as people have said you can get hats, shirts etc on our around campus a the University Bookstore in Coffman, Gold Country in Dinkytown, at the stadium, etc.

Thanks again for all the great advice; we will definitely try some of the water-sports and now have a much better idea of the places to visit and things to do. I am not quite sure if we will fit them all in this time around - but makes an ideal reason for visiting again in 2014!

I am really keen on attending a high school game on the Friday and it looks as though both Washburn and DeLaSalle are viable options. Although the two sports are quite different, it will be fascinating to see the athleticism of the players and compare them to the boys we have playing representative/elite Rugby back in Middlesbrough. (There is a 225lb 13 year old in our Rugby club who has really quick feet - could be a decent OL someday with the right coaching - might see if we can open up a pipeline!!!)

Also want to say thanks also, as a new poster, for making me feel part of this forum. I may be away from my computer for a little while because we are visiting family these next two weeks but I will drop a couple of updates in this thread in the lead up and just after the UNLV game to describe what a fantastic time we are having.

I know the NFL are aware of the fact that there is a decent market potential in the UK and I think the NCAA are committed to playing a series of college games in Ireland also. Although I welcome this in some ways as it grows the UK audience, my personal thoughts are that I hope the future sees more and more UK fans travelling to the US to watch their teams rather than, for example, locating an NFL franchise in London. I have a maroon and gold strip running through me that I will never give up in order to switch to the 'London Blitz' or whatever they might be called, and I am certain many other UK diehards feel the same way about their allegiances. When we experience this sort of hospitality and friendship, and the chance to experience new places, I feel we would be mad to have it any other way.

SkiUMah

Thanks again for all the great advice; we will definitely try some of the water-sports and now have a much better idea of the places to visit and things to do. I am not quite sure if we will fit them all in this time around - but makes an ideal reason for visiting again in 2014!

I am really keen on attending a high school game on the Friday and it looks as though both Washburn and DeLaSalle are viable options. Although the two sports are quite different, it will be fascinating to see the athleticism of the players and compare them to the boys we have playing representative/elite Rugby back in Middlesbrough. (There is a 225lb 13 year old in our Rugby club who has really quick feet - could be a decent OL someday with the right coaching - might see if we can open up a pipeline!!!)

Also want to say thanks also, as a new poster, for making me feel part of this forum. I may be away from my computer for a little while because we are visiting family these next two weeks but I will drop a couple of updates in this thread in the lead up and just after the UNLV game to describe what a fantastic time we are having.

I know the NFL are aware of the fact that there is a decent market potential in the UK and I think the NCAA are committed to playing a series of college games in Ireland also. Although I welcome this in some ways as it grows the UK audience, my personal thoughts are that I hope the future sees more and more UK fans travelling to the US to watch their teams rather than, for example, locating an NFL franchise in London. I have a maroon and gold strip running through me that I will never give up in order to switch to the 'London Blitz' or whatever they might be called, and I am certain many other UK diehards feel the same way about their allegiances. When we experience this sort of hospitality and friendship, and the chance to experience new places, I feel we would be mad to have it any other way.

SkiUMah

Hey Studwell, how's it going?

Hey Studwell, how's it going?

Lol... As a 40 year old ex-rugby player who has supported aggressive and disturbed teenagers I've been called a lot worse.

I work long hours in a fairly stressful environment and the Gopher Football team is my escapism. If saying thank you to people for taking time to help me or expressing my devotion to a team on their fan forum makes me a nerd, then yeah...
You got me.

Mods, I'm really keen for this thread to die now. I've made contact with some great people, have a great impression of minnesota and I've had a bit of a novelty attention but other stuff is far more important.

Lol... As a 40 year old ex-rugby player who has supported aggressive and disturbed teenagers I've been called a lot worse.

I work long hours in a fairly stressful environment and the Gopher Football team is my escapism. If saying thank you to people for taking time to help me or expressing my devotion to a team on their fan forum makes me a nerd, then yeah...
You got me.

Mods, I'm really keen for this thread to die now. I've made contact with some great people, have a great impression of minnesota and I've had a bit of a novelty attention but other stuff is far more important.
......He's not calling you a nerd, he just thinks you're a fake person created by another poster. I believe in you Johnob2!

Whatever, Tiger lover. Get out of that stadium.. =P

Ha hah! I won't deny my Detroit Tiger love, but I enjoy Target Field, and baseball at any level as well. Gonna catch the Royals/Twins day game (read the schedule wrong in my prior post) as a warmup to the Gophs/UNLV tilt!

......He's not calling you a nerd, he just thinks you're a fake person created by another poster. I believe in you Johnob2!

If he were a fake person (which you are most certainly not Johnob2), he would be PantherHawk in disguise.

Man, am I relived about that because me and my friends booger and poindexter were just plotting a horrible revenge involving itching powder, hidden cameras and an aerodynamic javelin.

It surprises me that being an English Gopher sounds so far fetched. If there are any doubters please free to check out my twitter account @adventureob. I'm not very interesting and not worth a follow but at least it will show that if I'm developing a cover story I'm putting way too much effort into it.

Anyway, I promise when opening this thread I intended it to be about football rather than anything off topic or something self indulgent based around my life history. As a rookie fan I greatly admire all of you for supporting the program week in week out and feel you have much more that is worth reading.

Best wishes

This is one of the most interesting threads on to appear on this board in the last year.

John, you've got spend some time at a lake while you're here. Would you and your son like to be guests of my family?

My initial reasons for choosing Minnesota as my team were a bit tenuous - the Rugby team I coach and occasionally play for starts with an 'M' (Middlesbrough), we wear Maroon and Gold, and I also found the Gophers to be a great team to play as on NCAA video games. Once I got into it though and started following you guys on Gopherhole, twitter etc I found that I could really empathise with the program. I love the ethics of the current coaching staff, I like that the players genuinely seem to put team first, and the fans that my family and I met in Vegas were all very warm and friendly.

Alan Willey, one of the all time leading scorers of the North American Soccer League, came to the Minnesota Kicks from Middlesborough in 1976. He scored 7 goals for Boro in 1974-1975 as a teenager.

Johnob2, I trust you are ready and excited for your trip tomorrow? Keep us updated and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions or need anything! Enjoy your visit and go Gophers!!!

Rather amazing that you have had this journey to Gopher fandom - come early so you can see the displays and memorabilia in the stadium. The campus has become really attractive in recent years with the addition of architecturally interesting new buildings to complement the ancient-looking ones, like Folwell Hall, home of the English Department and the many poets, scholars and novelists who have taught there over the decades. Sincerely hope you have a good time - from an Anglophile who earned a degree once from a school in London.

Welcome to Gopher Nation! I already see that others have made a million suggestions for things to do so I won't pile on at this point. If you need someone to show you around, don't hesitate to ask. I live a couple of blocks from the State Fair Grounds and you are welcome to park in my yard for free (yes, people park cars in their yards and typically charge anywhere from $5 to $20).

I also understand you will be bringing your son to the game. If your son has any interest, he can meet up with my son who turns 14 the day before the game and and get a tour around TCF bank stadium. My son's buddy will be there too and they can cover a lot of ground if your son likes climbing steps and seeing the stadium for different angles. Just a suggestion.

Anyway, let me know if you'd like to park at our house when you go to the Fair and/or if you want to meet up before or during the game. Otherwise, welcome aboard and...

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

Just arrived at hotel on outskirts of campus. Rough journey (23 hours) but well worth it. The view of the twin cities coming in to land was stunning; what a beautiful place you live in.

People yet again (just like the Gopherholers) have been so welcoming and helpful - cashiers, taxi driver - hotel receptionist has just the most perfect lovliest attitude - it really gives a first class impression of this part of the world.

Only had time for a quick walk to grocery store thus far but just seeing the students walking around in Gophers gear and the odd flag hanging from a dorm is building the excitement for Thursday.

I know the word 'family' is probably a bit cliche in recruiting terms but if I was the parent of a kid looking for a school, from my first impression, I would feel really secure in the knowledge they were attending the U. Hell, if Coach Kill has a space on the roster for a chubby, clueless, injury prone old bloke that runs the 40 in about 7 seconds (hand timed), I would quite fancy it myself!

Best wishes

Hell, if Coach Kill has a space on the roster for a chubby, clueless, injury prone old bloke that runs the 40 in about 7 seconds (hand timed), I would quite fancy it myself!
Hey I resemble that statement! I agree with you.

Unfortunately, even my mam's best friend would think that I suck.

+1

tumblr_m2wfjlK1Tf1qh2o7zo1_500.gif

Glad you made it. Now enjoy your week here with the highlight being the Gophers victory Thursday night!

too funny not to share with the main board

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>That feeling when you son's crazy golf shot in MofA rebounds high off a pipe and drops 4 floors onto shoppers below <a href="http://t.co/W7kD8cciow">pic.twitter.com/W7kD8cciow</a></p>— John O (@adventureob) <a href="https://twitter.com/adventureob/statuses/372357112531148800">August 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

too funny not to share with the main board

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>That feeling when you son's crazy golf shot in MofA rebounds high off a pipe and drops 4 floors onto shoppers below <a href="http://t.co/W7kD8cciow">pic.twitter.com/W7kD8cciow</a></p>— John O (@adventureob) <a href="https://twitter.com/adventureob/statuses/372357112531148800">August 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Haha now that's funny!

I saw a picture from Gopherlady with a group holding the England Flag with SKI U MAH across the front. I am assuming John found the best tailgate in town. Can't wait to hear his recap of the event.

Me and a friend will be over from England for the Nebraska game late October. Need a full report John. Or basically the best places for beers on campus and downtown!

End of a fantastic week in Minneapolis

Waiting for flight home so thought I'd write a few words to sum up what has been a holiday of a lifetime. Not sure the best way to do it as so much I could write but here goes...

10 Things I have learnt about Minnesota (Gophers in particular)

1. Gophers fans are just the best. The atmosphere at the game was exhilarating; we sat quite low down and close to the student section (section 138) and the place was rocking. We have been made to feel so welcome during the visit by everyone we have met. If we were members of the Royal family we wouldn't have felt any more special that you have made us feel. Massive thanks to Gopherlady for letting us join her tailgate, to Vic for accompanying us to the High School game last, to all the fans and members of staff, in whatever capacity, that took time to talk to us and especially to the Gopherholers for all their kind words and advice.

2. Our team is improving. I can only make a direct (live) comparison between the UNLV road game last year and the home game this but IMHO there were good signs. Last year I thought the offense was nervy all game - this year I thought we settled down just before halftime and did what we needed to do in the second half. I think Big Shed is a nailed on day one draft pick and was impressed with new additions on defense (thought Wilson and Murray had v.solid games). I think our secondary will keep us in with a chance in most games we play this season. If the kicking can be more consistent, special teams play can be really strong. Overall I feel there is now more big play potential across the team and this will help us to find ways to win games that last year we would have lost.

3. The Twin cities is a fantastic place to visit. We enjoyed our cruise down the Mississippi and walk around Minnehaha falls. We engaged in some local customs (Jucy Lucy's are really tasty) and visited some great places to eat (Al's and really enjoyed Buffalo Wild Wings near stadium too). We did a stadium tour at the Metrodome and visited Mall of America.

4. Baseball is perhaps an acquired taste if you don't know what is going on. I enjoyed our visit to watch the Twins - very impressed with Target field. Compared to the Gopher Football game though, the atmosphere wasn't the same and for two clueless Englishmen we were left thinking, " for goodness sake, swing for those strikes" when the Twins were batting. Undoubtedly it is a case of easier said than done and I imagine the pitches are either super fast or move a lot in the air. Just got a bit frustrated with lack of hits I suppose. Baseball fans, please don't take this personally, I am not a great fan of Cricket either - I just prefer contact sports.

5. America invests a lot (and quite rightly too) in youth sports. I thought the facilities at the U were superb (although I recognise there is a desire for them to be even better) and was very impressed with the high profile nature of the High School game I attended (DeLaSalle). I really hope our British Government can learn from your example. Without going off on too much of a rant, I work in education and know, even in a recession, how much money our Government wastes on ineffective strategies to engage disaffected young people. If we viewed and invested in the diverity of school sports like you do we would make many of our young people feel so much more valued by their communities.

6. Crazy Golf can be dangerous. Someone posted on here my tweet about my son hitting his shot at MofA off a pipe and over the balcony on the 4th floor. I was so nervous looking over the edge and was sure I was going to see a poor old granny laid unconscious on the floor or something. Thankfully all turned out well as the ball just bounced off some visiting Iowa fans (it didn't hit anyone!)

7. The Gopher media teams work really hard. As a novice fan I am a bit self conscious about the attention but since posting on Gopherhole I have had a fair bit of contact from the media teams interested in my visit. Although I personally don't think my story is that special and you regular diehards deserve much more credit than I ever will, I agreed to do whatever I could to help. My reasoning for this is based around the fact that all fans do what they can to help the program. I'm not there as often as I should be to scream and shout on opponents third downs but if my story can raise a bit of publicity or even (ultimate dream) appeal to a potential recruit in some small way (ie Gophers have international fan base) then I'm doing my bit. The Gophersports team followed us around on Gameday with a camera and I got an insight into the long hours they and the Gopher Report team put in. Top blokes and thank you for arranging our tour around the Bierman building.

8. There are more international Gopher fans out there! Noticed zinc's post yesterday about visiting for the Nebraska game and went on the NFLUK college football forum before I posted here, another half dozen at least already present. Planning a few things and open to ideas on how us 'Global Gophers' could link up a bit more. Ideas hatching...

9. The best time to flip a commitment is on an official visit. One week ago my son was an Oregon Ducks fan. He is now sat next to me in Maroon wearing a 'Jerrysota' tee shirt!

10. We need to come back. If I didn't have Gold fever already I have certainly got it now. On the cultural side of things, we played it very safe, only walking or using light rail - sticking to campus and downtown areas mostly. Next year (for home opener) I will try and bring wife and daughter also and hopefully spend the first part of the week on a lake. In terms of the football, absolutely brilliant, superb, magnificent experience...I have 12 months to perfect my rouser.

Thank you all again for such a wonderful time.

SkiUMah

End of a fantastic week in Minneapolis

Waiting for flight home so thought I'd write a few words to sum up what has been a holiday of a lifetime. Not sure the best way to do it as so much I could write but here goes...

10 Things I have learnt about Minnesota (Gophers in particular)

1. Gophers fans are just the best. The atmosphere at the game was exhilarating; we sat quite low down and close to the student section (section 138) and the place was rocking. We have been made to feel so welcome during the visit by everyone we have met. If we were members of the Royal family we wouldn't have felt any more special that you have made us feel. Massive thanks to Gopherlady for letting us join her tailgate, to Vic for accompanying us to the High School game last, to all the fans and members of staff, in whatever capacity, that took time to talk to us and especially to the Gopherholers for all their kind words and advice.

2. Our team is improving. I can only make a direct (live) comparison between the UNLV road game last year and the home game this but IMHO there were good signs. Last year I thought the offense was nervy all game - this year I thought we settled down just before halftime and did what we needed to do in the second half. I think Big Shed is a nailed on day one draft pick and was impressed with new additions on defense (thought Wilson and Murray had v.solid games). I think our secondary will keep us in with a chance in most games we play this season. If the kicking can be more consistent, special teams play can be really strong. Overall I feel there is now more big play potential across the team and this will help us to find ways to win games that last year we would have lost.

3. The Twin cities is a fantastic place to visit. We enjoyed our cruise down the Mississippi and walk around Minnehaha falls. We engaged in some local customs (Jucy Lucy's are really tasty) and visited some great places to eat (Al's and really enjoyed Buffalo Wild Wings near stadium too). We did a stadium tour at the Metrodome and visited Mall of America.

4. Baseball is perhaps an acquired taste if you don't know what is going on. I enjoyed our visit to watch the Twins - very impressed with Target field. Compared to the Gopher Football game though, the atmosphere wasn't the same and for two clueless Englishmen we were left thinking, " for goodness sake, swing for those strikes" when the Twins were batting. Undoubtedly it is a case of easier said than done and I imagine the pitches are either super fast or move a lot in the air. Just got a bit frustrated with lack of hits I suppose. Baseball fans, please don't take this personally, I am not a great fan of Cricket either - I just prefer contact sports.

5. America invests a lot (and quite rightly too) in youth sports. I thought the facilities at the U were superb (although I recognise there is a desire for them to be even better) and was very impressed with the high profile nature of the High School game I attended (DeLaSalle). I really hope our British Government can learn from your example. Without going off on too much of a rant, I work in education and know, even in a recession, how much money our Government wastes on ineffective strategies to engage disaffected young people. If we viewed and invested in the diverity of school sports like you do we would make many of our young people feel so much more valued by their communities.

6. Crazy Golf can be dangerous. Someone posted on here my tweet about my son hitting his shot at MofA off a pipe and over the balcony on the 4th floor. I was so nervous looking over the edge and was sure I was going to see a poor old granny laid unconscious on the floor or something. Thankfully all turned out well as the ball just bounced off some visiting Iowa fans (it didn't hit anyone!)

7. The Gopher media teams work really hard. As a novice fan I am a bit self conscious about the attention but since posting on Gopherhole I have had a fair bit of contact from the media teams interested in my visit. Although I personally don't think my story is that special and you regular diehards deserve much more credit than I ever will, I agreed to do whatever I could to help. My reasoning for this is based around the fact that all fans do what they can to help the program. I'm not there as often as I should be to scream and shout on opponents third downs but if my story can raise a bit of publicity or even (ultimate dream) appeal to a potential recruit in some small way (ie Gophers have international fan base) then I'm doing my bit. The Gophersports team followed us around on Gameday with a camera and I got an insight into the long hours they and the Gopher Report team put in. Top blokes and thank you for arranging our tour around the Bierman building.

8. There are more international Gopher fans out there! Noticed zinc's post yesterday about visiting for the Nebraska game and went on the NFLUK college football forum before I posted here, another half dozen at least already present. Planning a few things and open to ideas on how us 'Global Gophers' could link up a bit more. Ideas hatching...

9. The best time to flip a commitment is on an official visit. One week ago my son was an Oregon Ducks fan. He is now sat next to me in Maroon wearing a 'Jerrysota' tee shirt!

10. We need to come back. If I didn't have Gold fever already I have certainly got it now. On the cultural side of things, we played it very safe, only walking or using light rail - sticking to campus and downtown areas mostly. Next year (for home opener) I will try and bring wife and daughter also and hopefully spend the first part of the week on a lake. In terms of the football, absolutely brilliant, superb, magnificent experience...I have 12 months to perfect my rouser.

Thank you all again for such a wonderful time.

SkiUMah

Awesome that you had a good time! Sounds like you truly made a trip out of it all. About your #4. I totally agree. It is an acquired taste in my opinion. Even though I love Target field it has been hard to watch the Twins as of late. I applaud your dedication for making the trip! Hopefully many more for you and your family. Safe travels.

I know it's not the Gophers, but I'd enjoy seeing you in your Gopher gear while cheering on the MN Vikings at Wembley Stadium in late September! I'm glad you and your son had a great time in the Twin Cities. Keep posting.

Top Bottom