Gopher Q&A: Charles Buggs Talks Conditioning Program, Coach Pitino and More

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gopher Q&A: Charles Buggs Talks Conditioning Program, Coach Pitino and More
By Nadine Babu

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/274342?referrer_id=331171

One of the intriguing story lines heading into the basketball season is the play of Charles Buggs. A big time athlete with "NBA potential" according to new Gophers coach Richard Pitino, Buggs has a game that is raw, but full of potential. He started the summer around 190 lbs and now is about 213, and he hopes to be at 220 by the time the season starts. The Arlington, Texas native redshirted last year and is ready to bring his athletic frame to Pitino Era.

GopherHole's Nadine Babu recently caught up with Buggs.

GopherHole: What did you learn about your game last season while you sat out?

Charles Buggs: I learned that I have to get stronger to play in the Big Ten and to keep your composure.

GopherHole: Do you wish you would have played last year?

Charles Buggs: I think redshirting was good for me, it allowed me to mature and to watch and learn about the Big Ten.

GopherHole: What are the differences in conditioning expectations between this staff and the last staff?

Charles Buggs: This year there is a lot more running. We're doing a lot more running. It's an every day thing. Coach wants us conditioning when we go home which is different from before as well. It's good though, we're all getting in really good shape.

GopherHole: Coach Pitino has called your game "raw" - what do you think that means?

Charles Buggs: I think that has to do with my potential, it's all about fulfilling my potential and the staff is helping me with that.

GopherHole: What do you expect your role to be this year?

Charles Buggs: I think I'll be expected to rebound more, run the floor and be a leader.

Top Bottom