Throwback Uni's

vinko bogataj

Reaction score
Anyone hear anything about the team wearing throwback uni's for the opener at TCF? I think it would be a great idea to have the team wearing the same uniform that they wore for the final game at Memorial. Slap a commemorative patch on the shoulder and raffle the uni's off. If they sold raffle tickets each week and divy up say 15 uni's they ought to be able to make some coin. Put all the cash gained towards the Golden Gopher Fund or a part of an endowment of a scholie. Saw those old uni's from the last year at Memorial and damn they looked good. Can't wait until the opener!

I love it! That's a great idea! .....and that's why the athletic department will never do it. :-(

Been there, done that. Wear the Maroon on Gold.

what did the uniforms look like during the last game at memorial?

Go down to No. 7 Mike Hohensee....the jerseys look really baggy which I thought was cool. They wouldn't do that now because it's all about keeping them tight.

#7 Mike Hohensee

I Would Vote For...

The uniform that Tony Dungy wore, if they were going to do any kind of throwback uniform (not that I'm for or against that at this point).

I liked the ones we wore against Ohio State 2yrs ago..

The all gold unis were solid. I think they'll look even better now that we have a new design since then. Can't wait for them to break out the all gold's - against Becky maybe??

**I forgot the most important reason while they will look better...They'll be outside!!

My favorite uni's were the ones we wore around 95 and 96 with th gold helmets and pants(not yellow like today). The jerseys has the gopher M on each corner of the front of the jerseys by the armpit and were connected by a line going all the way around. We have to go back to gold, not yellow like Nike gives us now, that is not our color.

My favorite uni's were the ones we wore around 95 and 96 with th gold helmets and pants(not yellow like today). The jerseys has the gopher M on each corner of the front of the jerseys by the armpit and were connected by a line going all the way around. We have to go back to gold, not yellow like Nike gives us now, that is not our color.

Those were TERRIBLE, oh my goodness, you liked those? We looked like a complete joke in those. You are the first person I have ever heard of who likes them. Congrats, you are in a class of your own. Anyone else out there like those?

BTW, that list of 10 passers is pretty sad...Weber will definitely be #1 by the time he leaves though.

Those were TERRIBLE, oh my goodness, you liked those? We looked like a complete joke in those. You are the first person I have ever heard of who likes them. Congrats, you are in a class of your own. Anyone else out there like those?

BTW, that list of 10 passers is pretty sad...Weber will definitely be #1 by the time he leaves though.

I did like them, maybe because they were totally unique to the U. No other school had anything like them I hate how all the companies now make basically one or two designs for all the schools and then just put in your two school colors.

I would love to see either

The 1981 uni's or the mid 70's Tony Dungy era ones for the first game. The year long raffle idea is a great one too,instead of the B.S. wealthiest man wins auction that is normally done.

I did like them, maybe because they were totally unique to the U. No other school had anything like them I hate how all the companies now make basically one or two designs for all the schools and then just put in your two school colors.

I was going to comment that I don't care what they wear as long as they don't wear throwbacks with the M and a line across because I thought they were hideous, then I saw your post and discovered that someone actually like them... so I won't say it now.

The 1981 uni's or the mid 70's Tony Dungy era ones for the first game. The year long raffle idea is a great one too,instead of the B.S. wealthiest man wins auction that is normally done.

I think the raffle idea would draw the most money for the school and give everyone a chance to feel like they could win (thus more tickets sold). I think if they sold tickets each week for an allotment of whatever the final number of players dressed divided by the final 6 games, they ought to able to raise a couple hundred thousand dollars. Not exactly chump change IMO. We tried this method for our local hockey association this year instead of a silent auction and nearly doubled our take. I was amazed at how many people who would never consider bidding at an auction/silent auction felt it was worth tossing in a quick $5, 10 or 20 to buy the raffle tix. I would think it would be a nice way to raise some money and give the average Joe a shot at a nice throwback. Also, at least initially, they wouldn't all end up at some online store. I say that as a person who won 3 of the throwbacks from the 2006 NDSU game. (Anyone looking for an Alex Daniels uni by the way? ;) )

I just want to see the leather helmets ala the Bronko Nagurski era.

Anyone hear anything about the team wearing throwback uni's for the opener at TCF? I think it would be a great idea to have the team wearing the same uniform that they wore for the final game at Memorial. Slap a commemorative patch on the shoulder and raffle the uni's off. If they sold raffle tickets each week and divy up say 15 uni's they ought to be able to make some coin. Put all the cash gained towards the Golden Gopher Fund or a part of an endowment of a scholie. Saw those old uni's from the last year at Memorial and damn they looked good. Can't wait until the opener!

I like the idea but not for the opener. Would love to see the Dungy-era unis.

I have always thought the all gold uni's looked a little awkward unless they rolled out a gold helmet with a maroon "M" to complement it. If they did that and came out in legitimately all gold I think it could become a "big game" kind of thing on par with Georgia wearing their black jerseys etc.

If they don't do that come out in TCF in all maroon in my opinion.

I have always thought the all gold uni's looked a little awkward unless they rolled out a gold helmet with a maroon "M" to complement it. If they did that and came out in legitimately all gold I think it could become a "big game" kind of thing on par with Georgia wearing their black jerseys etc.

Amen to that. My thoughts exactly.

I agree with the Hohensee uniform suggestion. That uniform looks the best to me for this type of game.
Dungy era is not bad either. The shiny gold worked well in the past, but we've committed ourselves to a specific type of gold. Dont need the confusion that Purdue is having with their metallic vs. non-metallic gold hues.

in my opinion, if we break out the all-gold unis, it HAS to be in a game that we will be competitive. i would love to believe that we could be competitive against USC when they come to TCF. that would be a great game to go all-gold.

the past is behind us

lets go forward and wear today's uniforms and respect the past with pictures on the wall. Throw back something else.

From a non-Gopher fan's perspective I think that your best uniforms were the Glen Mason era.
Put on some black shoes and those will look classic and tough in the new outdoor digs.

FWIW, I thought the description of the all golds from a couple years back as "french fries dipped in ketchup" was both funny and accurate.

Maybe your guys could pull out the uniforms from the last Rose Bowl team (white pants IIRC?).
Then Wisconsin can wear my favorite Badger uniform with the W's on the front and backs of the helmets.

Speaking of Gold uniforms..

I was reading on the NCAA website about a proposed rules change for next year. Visiting teams will be allowed to wear a color other than white as long as there's enough contrast with what the home team is wearing.

How cool would it be to go into the Big House or Happy Valley in all-golds against the sea of blue?

I was reading on the NCAA website about a proposed rules change for next year. Visiting teams will be allowed to wear a color other than white as long as there's enough contrast with what the home team is wearing.

How cool would it be to go into the Big House or Happy Valley in all-golds against the sea of blue?

You know, that is actually an interesting idea.
That might look good.
If I were MINN I wouldn't make that the home uni though.

The all-gold uniform has become popular lately with several teams (WV, Cal) Others have been wearing gold jerseys (GATech, UCF, Vandy).

But Minnesota was the original. Hence the nickname "Golden Gophers." Before the all gold uniforms it was just "Gophers." This is a low-quality picture of all the all gold uniforms (with gold helmets).

picture.php

Cool Uniforms

Always a hot button topic with fans. The key to loving a uniform is the players wearing the uniforms. Coach Brewster has a great handle on both. He has players jazzed about the uniforms, something I don't get but when players and recruits mention the cool uniforms I cannot deny it is real. Do cool uniform translate into wins? I don't think there is any corelation. But better players, yes! This could be the year the talent, hard work, and coaching transform this also ran program into a consistent 9-3 or better program. That is the bench mark we should be shooting for, not being bowl eligible. Talk during the summer should center around whether the team could be 10-2 or possibly running the table. When the talk turns to that, uniforms, throwbacks, and shades of gold will seem less important.

Top Bottom