All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

He is going to be back next year unless he does something stupid over the summer.

Yes he's still a possibility. Here is Q&A with Pitino from a week or so ago:

Q. What's the status of Zach Lofton, who transferred from Illinois State but was dismissed before the season? Will he rejoin the team after staying in school all year?

A. We met at the beginning of the season. Basically, if he would've transferred, he would've lost half a year (eligibility) because of his clock. I'm not sure exactly, but he would've only had a second semester to play. So he begged me and said, 'Coach, can I stay here and try to work my way back?' Zach is a good kid. He's not a bad kid. I said, 'Listen, let's see how you do in class and with some community service -- a bunch of things -- and see how it goes. Not making any promises, but maybe we'll re-evaluate it later on.' It's a long shot certainly, but I didn't want to leave the kid out high and dry. I wanted to make sure he had an opportunity, because we have a scholarship.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27883398/gophers-coach-richard-pitino-we-need-put-up

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?61244-Pitino-Q-amp-A-with-Marcus

Go Gophers!!

And what's the deal with the community service?

So if they "have a scholarship" for Lofton, then really they can only add one more now that Lynch is on board. Is it assumed that it will be another JC?

And what's the deal with the community service?

I'm guessing that Pitino assigned him some hoops to jump through if he wanted to prove he was serious about getting back on the squad. Performing community service is something that can be monitored and is a life improvement method. Just a guess.

So if they "have a scholarship" for Lofton, then really they can only add one more now that Lynch is on board. Is it assumed that it will be another JC?

They could tell him he has to pay his own way this year if they are out of schollys. Or they could offer him one for this year if they have one, but not next year- pending availability.

First ever post so I hope this works!
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

when i scouted him in high school i liked his athleticism but disliked his game. Just my opinion but the risk for reward equation is way out of balance. would much rather bring in a high character freshman that can grow with the program. If Lofton plays there will be many teams that feast on that lack of fundamental skill he lacks. If he does not play will he work hard at practice every moment and be a positive chemistry wise ?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I just don't understand what Pitino is doing.

*Don't offer Sacar but instead take a flyer on Gilbert? Nobody on his board has seen Gilbert play, but his highlights are incredibly underwhelming. I'll be shocked if Gilbert is a better college player than Sacar is.

*We don't have a single true power forward on the roster. King and Buggs are tweener forwards. Konate and Diedhou are both true centers, and it sounds like Nwanko is the same way. I think the addition of Lynch is promising, but he is yet another guy who cannot play anywhere other than center. What about all the talk of stretch 4's being important in Pitino's "system"?

*Certain positions are going to be overloaded. We already have Hurt (and hopefully Coffey) coming in 2016. That is on top of signing Gilbert and McBrayer this year, plus having 3 promising PG's on the roster (will be necessary for them to get minutes at the 2).

I'll reserve judgment on Gilbert and hope he pans out. Just tough to see if there is an actual plan at work right now.

when i scouted him in high school i liked his athleticism but disliked his game. Just my opinion but the risk for reward equation is way out of balance. would much rather bring in a high character freshman that can grow with the program. If Lofton plays there will be many teams that feast on that lack of fundamental skill he lacks. If he does not play will he work hard at practice every moment and be a positive chemistry wise ?

What lack of fundamentals do you speak of? He had one of the finest fastbreak fade-away 3-pointers at Howard Pulley two years ago.

*Don't offer Sacar but instead take a flyer on Gilbert? Nobody on his board has seen Gilbert play, but his highlights are incredibly underwhelming. I'll be shocked if Gilbert is a better college player than Sacar is.

How would you be "shocked" after watching a 30 second highlight video? Impossible to make that assertion. I have no idea who will be better, but it is telling to me that Sacar only had one big time offer (as stated a number of times on this site). Gilbert had three or four in the ten days since he de-committed from George Mason. Minnesota bias, I guess.

*We don't have a single true power forward on the roster. King and Buggs are tweener forwards. Konate and Diedhou are both true centers, and it sounds like Nwanko is the same way. I think the addition of Lynch is promising, but he is yet another guy who cannot play anywhere other than center. What about all the talk of stretch 4's being important in Pitino's "system"?

*Certain positions are going to be overloaded. We already have Hurt (and hopefully Coffey) coming in 2016. That is on top of signing Gilbert and McBrayer this year, plus having 3 promising PG's on the roster (will be necessary for them to get minutes at the 2).

I'll reserve judgment on Gilbert and hope he pans out. Just tough to see if there is an actual plan at work right now.

Gilbert's offers were much, much better than Sacar's. Gilbert is also 3 inches taller than Sacar. I'd venture a guess he has a better wing span too.

6'4" Sacar vs. 6'7" Gilbert? I havn't seen either play but if Sacar wasn't committed to marquette by the time Elison was dragging his comitment out and we may have offered him?

Lynch looks to be mobile enough to play PF, Diedhou only played PF when in the game for bits last year... don't know where you get the only a center. King is a Stretch 4.

When you have 13 players on the roster you're bound to have a position or 2 that are going to be overloaded. I see it as this Mason, Johnson, Dorsey, McBrayer at the 1 and 2. Morris and Gilbert at the 3. king, boucher(hopefully?)and Diedhiou at the 4. Nwankwo and Konate at the 5. buggs would fill in time at the 3/4. Next year replace Morris with Hurt and if we do get Coffey he will get playing time amongst the guards somewhere depends on who's the best player. someone else would sit.

Gaston is a PF. If they sign Boucher it all makes sense. Gilbert is 6-7 and can shoot(?) Sacar is 6-4 and not as good of a shooter- that sounds like the logic there.

2015-16
Dorsey/Johnson
Mason/Mcbrayer
Gilbert/Morris/Buggs
King/Diedhou/ (Boucher?)
Konate/Nwankwo

Lynch RS

I don't see that roster as unbalanced at positions - it is only unbalanced by class.

2016/17

Dorsey/Johnson
Mason/McBrayer
Gilbert/Hurt/(Coffey)
(Boucher)/Buggs/Diedhou
Lynch/Konate/Nwankwo

Looks good to me.

Good call back on the 11th, GW.

Be careful you don't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

Do you ever wonder why many on this board react so negatively to what you have to say? It's unfortunate that your tone and seemingly self-serving attitude gets in the way because I think you bring a lot of quality information and insight to our community.

How would you be "shocked" after watching a 30 second highlight video? Impossible to make that assertion. I have no idea who will be better, but it is telling to me that Sacar only had one big time offer (as stated a number of times on this site). Gilbert had three or four in the ten days since he de-committed from George Mason. Minnesota bias, I guess.

What were the big time offers that Gilbert received in the last ten days? Not being snarky, genuinely asking.

Odds of another scholarship opening in the next 12-14 months???????? :)

OK let's make a deal. If people want to say that Gaston and Lynch are going to be 4's, fine. But then let's shut up with all the chatter about players fitting in to Pitino's system.

Be careful you don't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

Do you ever wonder why many on this board react so negatively to what you have to say? It's unfortunate that your tone and seemingly self-serving attitude gets in the way because I think you bring a lot of quality information and insight to our community.

I complimented his prognostication in another thread and then read this recent self stroking post and wanted to puke.

OK let's make a deal. If people want to say that Gaston and Lynch are going to be 4's, fine. But then let's shut up with all the chatter about players fitting in to Pitino's system.

Gaston can run the floor. Whether he will ever shoot well enough from the perimeter is another question. A little too early to tell on him don't you think?

Top Bottom