All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting

I have never seen Sacar play, can someone help me understand why he wouldn't be a good signing with our current scholarship situation?

In the posted video above he looks tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never seen Sacar play, can someone help me understand why he wouldn't be a good signing with our current scholarship situation?

In the posted video above he looks tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he would be a good signing at this point for the Gophers, but they are probably waiting on a few other targets to decide first. There are other wings out there, like Malik Ellison, that may be a better fit for the Gophers. The knock on Sacar in the past has been centered on his outside shooting along with ball handling. The last few times I've seen him, I've noticed improvement on both fronts. His best asset in my opinion is his ability as a slasher to finish through traffic in the paint. Pretty good defender too. While he excels at this in high school, that might not necessarily translate for a 6'4" wing in the B1G.

Sacar received an offer from Marquette today. Wonder if the Gophers will ever give him one or not

I think he would be a good signing at this point for the Gophers, but they are probably waiting on a few other targets to decide first. There are other wings out there, like Malik Ellison, that may be a better fit for the Gophers. The knock on Sacar in the past has been centered on his outside shooting along with ball handling. The last few times I've seen him, I've noticed improvement on both fronts. His best asset in my opinion is his ability as a slasher to finish through traffic in the paint. Pretty good defender too. While he excels at this in high school, that might not necessarily translate for a 6'4" wing in the B1G.

Ya, I also heard he can't shoot. The video seems to indicate he can. His stroke looked nice, but he had a lot of time to shoot...dunno.
I also heard he attacks the rim and did but didn't finish well at all down the left side when someone else had the followup dunk. But then he attacked to the middle of the lane and finished with a left hander from a few feet away that was smooth. I trust they know what they are doing in evaluating him but we do need guys who can score.

If he's truly 6'5", I think he would be a good get at this point in the game.

It's safe to say he isn't going under the radar. Pitino sees something in his game that he isn't sold on at this point. He may be a miss, but I'm quite certain Pitino is well aware of who Sacar is.

It's safe to say he isn't going under the radar. Pitino sees something in his game that he isn't sold on at this point. He may be a miss, but I'm quite certain Pitino is well aware of who Sacar is.

Yup. Especially since he has signed his teammate.

Yup. Especially since he has signed his teammate.

Whom Sacar has consistently outperformed at both the AAU and HS levels now. I feel strongly about this, and people are aware, but if Jarvis is good enough to get an offer, then so is Sacar IMO.

If his shot is completely broken and he has a poor handle, then he is not fit for the Big Ten. Big Ten teams are smart enough and talented enough to simply sag off of him to force him to shoot low percentage jumpers. If he decides to force the drive instead of taking a low percentage jumper, then they are ready to clog the lane and force a charge or cause a turn over. Just because a kid can average 20+ points a game in HS by driving to the hoop doesn't mean he will be an effective D1 player.

If his shot is completely broken and he has a poor handle, then he is not fit for the Big Ten. Big Ten teams are smart enough and talented enough to simply sag off of him to force him to shoot low percentage jumpers. If he decides to force the drive instead of taking a low percentage jumper, then they are ready to clog the lane and force a charge or cause a turn over. Just because a kid can average 20+ points a game in HS by driving to the hoop doesn't mean he will be an effective D1 player.

You need to watch him play first if you are calling his shot "completely broken". It's not a strength, but it's not horrific as you make it sound. Works out just fine for Ja'Sean Tate, Troy Williams, Squirrel Morris, etc. right?

Jamall Gregroy is also picking up some interest from Maryland, so the Gophers and Terps are both looking at Ellison and Gregory on the wing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZcDLiCAfT2k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On Anim, I don't know what more there is to "get". The Gopher coaches have seen Sacar play as much as anyone while watching Jarvis over the Summer and in high school and have not offered. They obviously don't see a fit with him. Maybe they are making a mistake, but I think you have to trust the coaches ability to evaluate in a situation like this.

You need to watch him play first if you are calling his shot "completely broken". It's not a strength, but it's not horrific as you make it sound. Works out just fine for Ja'Sean Tate, Troy Williams, Squirrel Morris, etc. right?
I've never seen more than highlights, that's why I worded my post the way I did. I was just pointing out one dimensional players can be world beaters in HS while also being useless in college.

Sacar scores 35 vs Apple Valley, 27 vs Eden Prairie, 31 vs Morgan Park Chicago,34 vs 4th ranked Armstrong. ..75% from the line. 60% from the field. Tough Defender. Probable Mr. Basketball winner. Pretty sure he will be better than Jarvis at next level. Sacar almost never gets called for the charge on his dribble drive to the basket which is is pretty impressive for a guy who gets to the hole a ton and gets fouled quite a bit in the process.

Sacar's shooting stroke has gotten a lot better since his sophomore year. My biggest problem with him is that he's a bit of a tweener at the next level. I've been seeing him listed at 6'5 lately which I really don't believe to be true. I think he's closer to 6'3 or 6'3.5 and he's not a good enough shooter or ball handler to play the 2. He's a very good defender and I think he could be a really solid player at the 3 if he is really 6'5 but I don't buy it.

Sacar scores 35 vs Apple Valley, 27 vs Eden Prairie, 31 vs Morgan Park Chicago,34 vs 4th ranked Armstrong. ..75% from the line. 60% from the field. Tough Defender. Probable Mr. Basketball winner. Pretty sure he will be better than Jarvis at next level. Sacar almost never gets called for the charge on his dribble drive to the basket which is is pretty impressive for a guy who gets to the hole a ton and gets fouled quite a bit in the process.

Everyone who has seen him play extensively have great things to say about him. Am I saying I know more than the coaching staff? Absolutely not. Am I questioning the staffs's ability to evaluate certain players? In a few cases, this one included, it's fair to say so. Anim's going to be an excellent player at the next level who ends up being a defensive stalwart at worst. I see his floor being alot higher than Jarvis' floor. I do think Jarvis has a higher ceiling though FWIW.

Sacar's shooting stroke has gotten a lot better since his sophomore year. My biggest problem with him is that he's a bit of a tweener at the next level. I've been seeing him listed at 6'5 lately which I really don't believe to be true. I think he's closer to 6'3 or 6'3.5 and he's not a good enough shooter or ball handler to play the 2. He's a very good defender and I think he could be a really solid player at the 3 if he is really 6'5 but I don't buy it.

Sacar is 4 inches taller than Jarvis , official roster 6'5", probably 6'4".

Sacar is 4 inches taller than Jarvis , official roster 6'5", probably 6'4".

If you're 6'3 + and athletic you can easily be a 3 in college. All this being said, I don't think the Gophers will offer Sacar. It's a mistake though.

Whom Sacar has consistently outperformed at both the AAU and HS levels now. I feel strongly about this, and people are aware, but if Jarvis is good enough to get an offer, then so is Sacar IMO.

Results can often mislead. I've never seen Sacar, so I cannot say whether or not he deserves a scholly, however, a guy by the name of Josh Martin had quite the senior campaign last year.

Sometimes you're not a good fit, Pitino might be wrong, but here's to hoping he learned from jmart

Am I questioning the staffs's ability to evaluate certain players? In a few cases, this one included, it's fair to say so.

Oh brother, give me a break. I'm dying over here. Pitino, Ben, etc. have literally seen him 25+ times. They know what they have in Sacar. They are both paid six and seven digits to evaluate high school basketball talent and they have seen him more than you have. I hope you're not serious.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone is on the "there's no way we're offering Sacar" train. I mean think about it. There are three scholarships available. If Malik Ellison goes elsewhere, it's reasonable to assume that Sacar will get an offer. I think there are far too many jumping to conclusions here.

Results can often mislead. I've never seen Sacar, so I cannot say whether or not he deserves a scholly, however, a guy by the name of Josh Martin had quite the senior campaign last year.

Sometimes you're not a good fit, Pitino might be wrong, but here's to hoping he learned from jmart

Senior campaign at the back of reasons why I believe Sacar should be offered. Speaking stat-wise though, J-Mart averaged about 5 ppg on one the worst EYBL teams while Sacar was putting up 12 ppg on a very talented Peach Jam team. Quite a difference. Yes, some players are not a fit, and Pitino does need to be wary after that whole fiasco, but I 100% believe this is the wrong guy to ignore (especially when Ellison and Gregory come as bigger priorities to the coaching staff). So many great assets to his game, plus he fits the system because of his ability to thrive playing in uptempo games. Idk, I feel like I'm just repeating myself now, but yeah, you know where I stand here. :)

Senior campaign at the back of reasons why I believe Sacar should be offered. Speaking stat-wise though, J-Mart averaged about 5 ppg on one the worst EYBL teams while Sacar was putting up 12 ppg on a very talented Peach Jam team. Quite a difference. Yes, some players are not a fit, and Pitino does need to be wary after that whole fiasco, but I 100% believe this is the wrong guy to ignore (especially when Ellison and Gregory come as bigger priorities to the coaching staff). So many great assets to his game, plus he fits the system because of his ability to thrive playing in uptempo games. Idk, I feel like I'm just repeating myself now, but yeah, you know where I stand here. :)
I'm definitely not suggesting sacar=jmart. I'm saying statistical results do not equate to graduate success. You didnt necessarily say this so quoting you might have been a mistake. But I still think it's relevant to what you're saying.

I'm a huge fan Sacar and have posted previously why I like him so much. I truly don't think his jumper isn't half bad. His game is kind of like Joe Coleman's, but Sacar is longer. I really hope he gets an offer from Pitino. I think he could do big things at the next level.

Ryan James tweets that Ben Johnson was at New Mexico JC to see Cullen Russo today. We also know that Coach Pitino was out recruiting and Kimani Young handled the media duties in the Twin Cities today. Not sure on how many coaches can be on the road, but if it's only two, then Coach Pitino himself was the one who went to check out Jamall Gregory.

Some on here are acting like Pitino is the only guy not offering Sacar. He just finally got one high major offer. I like Sacar and would be happy if he ends up a Gopher, but it's not like he's pulling in a slew of high majors. Something is keeping schools from offering.

The Gophers may end up with no players between 6'5" and 6'8".

Ryan James tweets that Ben Johnson was at New Mexico JC to see Cullen Russo today. We also know that Coach Pitino was out recruiting and Kimani Young handled the media duties in the Twin Cities today. Not sure on how many coaches can be on the road, but if it's only two, then Coach Pitino himself was the one who went to check out Jamall Gregory.

Dan McHale watched Gregory according to Ryan James.

Some on here are acting like Pitino is the only guy not offering Sacar. He just finally got one high major offer. I like Sacar and would be happy if he ends up a Gopher, but it's not like he's pulling in a slew of high majors. Something is keeping schools from offering.

The Gophers may end up with no players between 6'5" and 6'8".

Exactly. And I'm not sure about Marquette's roster situation, but it sounds like they are looking to add 3-4 players still this Spring.

Marquette has signed 3 top 75 kids including a top 10 kid. Also signed a top 120 kid. Much better ratings that what the U has signed. 3 open offers left. Would be strange if they sign 7 freshman ...Eric Bossi @ebosshoops · 15h 15 hours ago
I think Sacar Anim is pretty comparable to Virginia Tech freshman Justin Bibbs who we ended up under rating a bit last spring. Bibbs is averaging 13 ppg.

Marquette has signed 3 top 75 kids including a top 10 kid. Also signed a top 120 kid. Much better ratings that what the U has signed. 3 open offers left. Would be strange if they sign 7 freshman ...Eric Bossi @ebosshoops · 15h 15 hours ago
I think Sacar Anim is pretty comparable to Virginia Tech freshman Justin Bibbs who we ended up under rating a bit last spring. Bibbs is averaging 13 ppg.

None of which explains the paucity of offers for Sacar - he sounds like a good fit to me, but I admit that I know nothing.

Top Bottom