All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

Last year he shot 32.4% from three on 102 attempts and 41.9 from the field in 23 games so he's in a shooting funk right now.

And that was with Tyus passing to him and Reid getting swarmed in the post. No where for his numbers (percentage wise) to go but down in my mind. I will gladly welcome him to the U still :)

And that was with Tyus passing to him and Reid getting swarmed in the post. No where for his numbers (percentage wise) to go but down in my mind. I will gladly welcome him to the U still :)

Yeah, I don't think a 16/17 year old kid could ever improve his shooting. Impossible.

Yeah, I don't think a 16/17 year old kid could ever improve his shooting. Impossible.

Did I say his shooting will never improve? I was just saying that instead of benefiting from being number 3 or 4 most important player on the scouting and having one of the best point guards in the country dishing him the ball, he is now the number one or two name on most other teams scouting report and having to create more shots on his own. I just expected his percentages to go down I guess. His form has improved IMO if that counts for anything.

04-29-2014, 11:47 AM
The Brain Trust replied to a thread All Things Jarvis Johnson Thread in Golden Gopher Basketball Forum
After 3 AAU games Jarvis 7ppg, fg% under 30%, more turnovers than assists. Jerry Meyer must be Following The Brain Trust

Wonder if Izzo has already cooled a bit on Jarvis after his rough stretch recently. Considering how confident Badger recruiting experts (and fans) are about their prospects of landing Jarvis, I'm pretty surprised they haven't had a single crystal ball prediction.

Wonder if Izzo has already cooled a bit on Jarvis after his rough stretch recently. Considering how confident Badger recruiting experts (and fans) are about their prospects of landing Jarvis, I'm pretty surprised they haven't had a single crystal ball prediction.

I just hope Johnson's numbers improve. He's not putting up starting caliber Big Ten offense right now.

Doubt Izzo is cooling on Jarvis 3 weeks after offering him...Izzo was well aware of his shooting issues, and has seen him play several times

So much of basketball, college and pro both, is predicated on drive and dish. I think the Gophers do/will have guys who can do that. I'm just not sure they have enough good shooters to convert those passes into points. Is there a knock-down shooter or two out there who Richard can coax into maroon and gold?

I don't care much about shooting percentages in these glorified pick up games. Jarvis will work on that J and should be able to hit some open looks eventually. Shooting is great but I'm not cooling on a HS sr to be PG who struggles with his shot.

It's faux confidence they think they can come into this state and pluck who they want , when in reality they never landed a guy Tubby wanted and jarvis is the first battle with Pitino

It's faux confidence they think they can come into this state and pluck who they want , when in reality they never landed a guy Tubby wanted and jarvis is the first battle with Pitino

Tubby never lost a guy from this state that he wanted to anyone, he was pretty good at keeping guys he wanted from leaving the border. Tubby was a pretty good recruiter just in general, kinda slacked off toward the end there, with so-so classes in his last 2 years(though alvin was a very nice pick up), but in fairness Minnesota didn't produce much of anything since 2009. People will point to mav and oto and what not, but every team has those guys. If pitino can recruit like Tubby I will be happy, because I think he can do more with talent than tubby can, which was tubby's biggest issue.

If you think he would have gotten any of the Big Three, or any of the future big local names I think you are dreaming. He recruited hard for about 18 months and then reverted back to the guy KY fans said he was.

If you think he would have gotten any of the Big Three, or any of the future big local names I think you are dreaming. He recruited hard for about 18 months and then reverted back to the guy KY fans said he was.

Three of our top 4 players will be Orlando's recruits next season and the second to the last player he signed is at Michigan State. It's the Kentucky fans who are lobbying to get Orlando in the HOF.

Tubby got every Minnesota recruit he offered when he was here; 4star White, 4 star Williams, 3 star Coleman, 3 star Mbakwe... Who knows if Tubby would have landed Jones, Travis and Vaughn >> He did not get the chance...

Tubby got every Minnesota recruit he offered when he was here; 4star White, 4 star Williams, 3 star Coleman, 3 star Mbakwe... Who knows if Tubby would have landed Jones, Travis and Vaughn >> He did not get the chance...

that is not true. He offered Sam Dower and he went to Gonzaga and had a nice career.

His lackadaisical recruiting philosophy is what got him fired. Teague said publicly when he got here that they needed to recruit better and it never happened. It is exactly that simple.

that is not true. He offered Sam Dower and he went to Gonzaga and had a nice career.

He may have offered at one point but he wasn't that interested since he already had Ralph, Colt, Trevor, Royce, Carter, and Williams at the time. I think he originally wanted him to walk on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Tubby transfers hurt worse than coaching and recruiting issues.

Tubby recruited on paper anyways guys higher ranked than Monson. The thing that did him in was the trasfers of White, Iverson, Cobb, and Joseph. All became all conference performers else where. Those that are Tubby supporters blame other circumstances, those that felt it was time for a change give Tubby at least partial blame.

He may have offered at one point but he wasn't that interested since he already had Ralph, Colt, Trevor, Royce, Carter, and Williams at the time. I think he originally wanted him to walk on.

Man.... reading that is depressing....

What could have been..... That team would have been stacked had he kept it together.....

Man.... reading that is depressing....

What could have been..... That team would have been stacked had he kept it together.....

2009-10 team could have competed for, if not won, the Big Ten title if they had Royce, Mbakwe, and Nolen for the whole season. Would have been a very deep team. Still managed to make the tournament even without three guys who likely would have been top contributors. Beat one of the three Big Ten champions at home, lost to the other two by one point apiece, then later beat them both in the Big Ten tournament.

What could have been indeed.

My understanding was that he offered Sam Dower some type of greyshirt opportunity earlier on in the process.

Let's not forget that you had a group of Minnesota players that had a desire to stay close to home and they only had offers from a handful of other B1G teams, Kansas (for White and Williams), and Creighton. None of them were offered by Duke, Kentucky, etc... Don't go rewriting history, it was common wisdom that they were not going to play for Tubby. Please, just let it go and support your team, the future is bright. Jones went for the bright lights, Reid wanted to make his mother proud of academics and Vaughn wanted to get out of Dodge...

Oh, you mean Tubby's guys who will be experienced upperclassmen will likely be better than a bunch of inexperienced underclassmen? That would just be so embarrassing for Pitino. Hold on though... how do you know none of the 5 eligible new players can't be top 4 players? Have you already forgotten what Mathieu did this year?

Three of our top 4 players will be Orlando's recruits next season and the second to the last player he signed is at Michigan State. It's the Kentucky fans who are lobbying to get Orlando in the HOF.

That's insane if true. Dower was a top 150 player. Don't see a ton of those walking on at programs like MN.

Some good discussion here but let's please keep this thread focused on 2015 recruiting. Please feel free to start a new thread on Tubby's in-state recruiting if desired. Thank you.

Some good discussion here but let's please keep this thread focused on 2015 recruiting. Please feel free to start a new thread on Tubby's in-state recruiting if desired. Thank you.

Does anyone have any feedback on ESPN's final recruiting grade for the Gophers? You need an Insider account to access.

Does anyone have any feedback on ESPN's final recruiting grade for the Gophers? You need an Insider account to access.

That final analysis is probably for the 2014 class.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom