All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

It's an odd fascination. Clearly Pitino isn't to concerned.
+1, a really odd fascination for anyone unrelated to him.
It would be nice to see a kid turn his life around and a get a clue, but after McNeil, I doubt Pitino is really interested in guys that have behavioral issues on or off the court. I am not equating the two behavioral issues at all, but having a guy like McNeil screw up really hurt the team. There was no competent defender at the 3 all year.
Good practice time will be really precious this year with all of the new faces. Anyone who screws up the effectiveness of practices the way Zach did last year is not worth it no matter how physically talented he is, either scholarship or walk-on.
If RP is convinced Zach gets it, I have no issue with him other than how many "wings' are we going to be able to give playing time to.

May very well see some version of this.

Definitely much more of an up-tempo game this year compared to past yrs. I foresee plenty of players and plenty of full court pressure.
I would not disagree with the small lineup if you put Buggs at center and Joey at PF. Buggs plays better near the hoop and has a chance to rebound even if not a natural, Joey is not good at positioning or jumping for rebounds. Joey is way better on the open floor on offense and would be better off not trying to be the defender of last resort inside. Buggs can really jump and could give us 5 fouls at center even if he is not that muscular.
Additionally, I think both Gaston and Bakary are mobile. If you wanted to play small ball Gaston might be able to do that as well if he is mobile as advertised.

The rant was for hoop dreams.Opinions are like holes for pie,everyone has two an in and an out.
Back to my question what does "end of signing period" mean....is it just for incoming freshman,or everyone,transfers,grad transfers and other AVAILABLE players??
Or are the players we have now all we got thru summer?

The rant was for hoop dreams.Opinions are like holes for pie,everyone has two an in and an out.
Back to my question what does "end of signing period" mean....is it just for incoming freshman,or everyone,transfers,grad transfers and other AVAILABLE players??
Or are the players we have now all we got thru summer?

"End of the signing period" isn't that relevant. There will continue to be transfers throughout the summer. Who knows if all of our incoming signees will make it and if all of our current players stay through the summer... still 3 months to go before our trip to Spain and that's an eternity in this era. We do need to try to pick up a grad transfer center this summer, though, in my opinion.

If I were Lofton and I wanted back on the team, I would express the willingness to walk-on at first. It surely wouldn't be long before a scholarship opened up.

And I used quotes around the "NBA" to signal it wasn't my opinion either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay? I know that you were mocking it. The post wasn't directed at you.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

this seems a bit weird to me that we'd take two transfers in the class

Bauer/Warrior seems to have a love for painting a dark cloud over absolutely every Gopher BB situation. In my view this poser clearly has it in for the Gopher basketball program for whatever reason.

Bauer/Warrior seems to have a love for painting a dark cloud over absolutely every Gopher BB situation. In my view this poser clearly has it in for the Gopher basketball program for whatever reason.

To be honest my gut reaction on the signing was very similar to warrirors, at least what it may imply. However, after second thought, if you look at how the roster sets up AFTER this year, the makeup is quite nice. We are set up with a good mix of guards wings and posts, and this sign inc balances out the classes a bit better. Still looking at a scholarship to free up for the 2017 recruiting class as we will only have Buggs as a senior that season.

Pitino will likely be selling next year as a rebuild, youthful learning experience, this move solidifies that message quite heavily. Adds firepower to the following year, as the only backup for Morris as our starting wing was Gilbert or freshman hHurt.

While generally true, in this case the news DOES make a person wonder if we're losing another recruit or player. How's Buggs doing? Do Gilbert and McBrayer have their paperwork ready?

All I can say is, if we lose Dorsey or McBrayer from this class I'll be very sad.

While generally true, in this case the news DOES make a person wonder if we're losing another recruit or player. How's Buggs doing? Do Gilbert and McBrayer have their paperwork ready? All I can say is, if we lose Dorsey or McBrayer from this class I'll be very sad.

Same here.

FWIW (not much at all) Jarvis was at the EYBL in an ISU jacket. So there's that I guess lol

Go Gophers!!

Was being satirical about how excited Pitino is compared to the gopherhole warlords.

Poor joke.

per STrib:

On former student-athlete Zach Lofton potentially joining the team in some capacity/ walking on: "I haven't even thought about walking on, I don't know if he could even do that. But we had talked about -- it was something that he wanted to do because I don't think his options were great elsewhere and so I didn't really want to leave him out to dry with that. It's something that we'll revisit -- I think it's a long, long shot to be honest. But that's something where we see final grades and see how everything pans out, we'll revisit it, but that will be a couple weeks from now."

http://www.startribune.com/tidbits-...st-gopher-road-trip-stop-in-spicer/305216131/

Go Gophers!!

I think it's a long, long shot to be honest

Sorry GoGo, enjoy the crow.

Well I guess we'll revisit it
When coach figures out the walk on rules
And check the grades that came out last week
Good luck young Zach,,may the force be with you.

Maybe we can close the door on Zach Lofton talk now!

If Lofton kept his nose clean and has the grades & credits to be eligible, I'd guess Pitino will reinstate him to the program. With 2 transfers sitting out, might be tough to turn away a guy that he thinks can help them win. Most guys get 2nd chances (at least the ones with talent do), and this would be Lofton's 2nd @ Minnesota.

Really, the key questions are, (1) can Lofton's family afford to pay his own way, and (2) if yes, are they willing to do that?

STrib: Pitino draws big recruiting class

Whether those fresh faces can bolster what many hope will be a fresh start after last season’s flurry of attrition during a lackluster 6-12 Big Ten record remains to be seen. But one thing is clear: flop or flourish, this group of newcomers is one that will stick to Pitino’s short résumé. Heading into his third season at Minnesota, the seven newly signed players represent his first traditional recruiting class — one on which his recruiting impact can finally be fairly judged.

“We cut him some slack with the previous two classes.” said Jeff Borzello, a recruiting analyst for ESPN. “He got a late start with the Tyus Jones-Rashad Vaughn-Reid Travis trio and had to just get some players on the roster when he took over. And even last year, he was getting his legs under him. But now, he’s had two years to recruit these guys. He’s had proper time to evaluate them. The assistants have had time to evaluate them and compare them to other options and really recruit them. So you can’t really make excuses for him anymore if these guys don’t pan out.”

On paper, the group is promising, although the class has fallen out of Rivals’ top 30 team rankings and ESPN’s top 40 (the Gophers sat as high as No. 22 in the Rivals ranking after the fall signings).

http://www.startribune.com/pitino-draws-big-recruiting-class/305269631/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom