All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

We can combat the lack of size by going small ball. Our pressing, up tempo system featuring a heavy dose of ball handlers could make life tough on a big slow front court. We can also go 10+ deep when featuring those kind of line ups. Could even go Tubby ball, subbing 5 at a time to ensure everyone is fresh and intense on D/press.

Line 1
PG - Dorsey
SG - Mason
SF - Morris
PF - Buggs
C - King

Line 2
PG - Johnson
SG - McBrayer
SF - Gilbert
PF - Murphy
C - Gaston

Those two lineups could really get after it in the press and open court.

We can combat the lack of size by going small ball. Our pressing, up tempo system featuring a heavy dose of ball handlers could make life tough on a big slow front court. We can also go 10+ deep when featuring those kind of line ups. Could even go Tubby ball, subbing 5 at a time to ensure everyone is fresh and intense on D/press.

Line 1
PG - Dorsey
SG - Mason
SF - Morris
PF - Buggs
C - King

Line 2
PG - Johnson
SG - McBrayer
SF - Gilbert
PF - Murphy
C - Gaston

Those two lineups could really get after it in the press and open court.

King at center? no thank you

King at center? no thank you

It was a small ball hypothetical line up. King getting some run at the 5 position forces the opposing center to cover him on the perimeter, thus opening up the lane for penetration for the rest of the team. On defense they'd play a full court press into a trapping zone defense.

Again, this is just a hypothetical situation if they wanted to go small ball. Which will probably happen at some point because of Konate and Gaston's foul troubles and there's always the possibility of injury.

At this rate this thread will go on until tip off of the first game.

It was a small ball hypothetical line up. King getting some run at the 5 position forces the opposing center to cover him on the perimeter, thus opening up the lane for penetration for the rest of the team. On defense they'd play a full court press into a trapping zone defense.

Again, this is just a hypothetical situation if they wanted to go small ball. Which will probably happen at some point because of Konate and Gaston's foul troubles and there's always the possibility of injury.

May very well see some version of this.

Definitely much more of an up-tempo game this year compared to past yrs. I foresee plenty of players and plenty of full court pressure.

You'd think after 221 pages worth of discussion there wouldn't be much more to talk about regarding the 2015 recruits. Guess I was wrong!

Isn't this how Wisky used Kaminski? Spread it out and to open up the lane.

Isn't this how Wisky used Kaminski? Spread it out and to open up the lane.

Hypothetically I think Joey could play offensively at center in a similar role. The problem is defense. Pitino it seems wants his guards to gamble and go for steals, deflections, and turnovers (not what Wisconsin does) which works great when you have a solid rim protector there at the hoop to contest when guards get by you. This isn't news, but that guy isn't Joey King (unless he just takes 30 charges per game. Which is possible). With no rim protector, you either have to go all out in getting steals and get them constantly (because when you don't, it's two points) or you have to play disciplined defense on the perimeter so guys can't get to the paint.

Hypothetically I think Joey could play offensively at center in a similar role. The problem is defense. Pitino it seems wants his guards to gamble and go for steals, deflections, and turnovers (not what Wisconsin does) which works great when you have a solid rim protector there at the hoop to contest when guards get by you. This isn't news, but that guy isn't Joey King (unless he just takes 30 charges per game. Which is possible). With no rim protector, you either have to go all out in getting steals and get them constantly (because when you don't, it's two points) or you have to play disciplined defense on the perimeter so guys can't get to the paint.

Or you punish guys with fouls so hard that people don't want to attack the basket. But, I don't think we have the personnel for that either. So, I think it will be trapping, gambling but at the same time increasing the tempo at the expense of giving up some easy baskets. The deal breaker is how often does the opponent convert layups versus the Gophers controlling the pace and getting easy baskets of their own versus the opponents either by opponents unbalanced defense or opponent turnovers. Bottom line: giving up some layups is a by product of the style but too many and controlling pace doesn't matter unless you are trading transition 3's for their 2's. But, there is also value in now you switch defenses and personnel and the opponent is so out of rhythm that you shut them down more efectively than you might have if they were in their comfort zone all night..

per the U:

Gophers Sign Jordan Murphy

University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday the addition of forward Jordan Murphy (San Antonio, Texas/Brennan HS) to the Gophers recruiting class.

“We are extremely excited to welcome Jordan Murphy into the Gopher family,” Pitino said. “He will bring the size, ability and versatility that we were looking for.”

Murphy averaged 23.6 points, 10.5 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.9 steals per game in his senior season, and was the San Antonio Express-News 2015 Player of the Year. The 6-7, 220-pound Murphy was named the District 27-6A Most Valuable Player, a McDonald’s All-American finalist, and was a Class 6A All-State selection by the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches.

“Jordan is a wonderful kid and comes from a great family; he has a very bright future,” Pitino added.

Murphy will join a freshman class that includes Kevin Dorsey, Ahmad Gilbert, Jarvis Johnson, and Dupree McBrayer along with Illinois State transfer Reggie Lynch.

Go Gophers!!

What?

If JN would have been eligible we would have had Lynch, Nwankwo, Konate and Diedhou - 4 guys by my count- who can all play the center position in Fall of 2016. If he had recruited more than that we would have said he was nuts.

And exactly 1 that can actually play.

I'm high on Lynch also,seen a lot from him watching Illinois state.So now the spring signing is over(idk if that's for incoming freshmen,or for transfers too)but I think Zach Loftons chances for a scholarship are increasing,and walk on spot is in his court(barring domestic violence,or stealing a computer)

You'd think after 221 pages worth of discussion there wouldn't be much more to talk about regarding the 2015 recruits. Guess I was wrong!

I didn't even sleep at a holiday inn last night.

Too much focus on the old school fours and fives mentality. As an example look at the way Golden State plays. You want versitile players who can guard multiple postion, handle the ball and space the floor and shoot. That is what I believe Pitino and most coaches are looking for. You do need toughness and a little size but many times only one guy of that ilk on the floor at a time.

I forgot a talented,enrolled,available,UofM student,should NEVER be brought up on a last AVAILABILE thread,I've caught a lot of crow this season,and hoop dreams getting the lions share

Ran outta commas,to put 6'5 210 lbs,NBA ready body,probably willing to walk on if need be.Out weighs the emotional problems in head.

I started off saying I like Reggie
Then I wanted to know what the end of signing meant
And finished with a joke about 2 former gophers,that had much higher infractions

But we know you don't like Zach Lofton,but we also know we weren't talking to you.

Ran outta commas,to put 6'5 210 lbs,NBA ready body,probably willing to walk on if need be.Out weighs the emotional problems in head.

Funny. He was a quarter to half-inch max taller than McNeil and well short of Morris (comparatively) and now you say he is 6'-5" and gained 10 lbs.

Big difference to NBA body and NBA caliper, I think Pitino decided that when he said get lost kid. You must have a lot of left over crow from when Richard said he wasn't worth it.

I can't wait to watch him next season, he will dominate in the MIAC.

Funny. He was a quarter to half-inch max taller than McNeil and well short of Morris (comparatively) and now you say he is 6'-5" and gained 10 lbs. Big difference to NBA body and NBA caliper, I think Pitino decided that when he said get lost kid. You must have a lot of left over crow from when Richard said he wasn't worth it. I can't wait to watch him next season, he will dominate in the MIAC.

What's the difference between an NBA caliper and your standard, run of the mill caliper? Is it gigantic?

Got the specs and 6'5 1/2 is where it's at
204 is also where it's at but the trainer wants him at 199,,,I'll take coach P's evaluation over yours.
"NBA ready body,most talented player in the program"

Zach Lofton!!!Zach Lofton!!! Zach Lofton!!!!

204 is also where it's at but the trainer wants him at 199,,,I'll take coach P's evaluation over yours.

Most of us would like to see Zach play, but it is really up to him and Pitino. He knows exactly what Pitino needs from him. The problem seems that he has been given a few chances in the past and still managed to get kicked off the team. People only believe your words so many times, you need your actions to back it up. So if he hasn't really learned to control his actions yet, it doesn't matter what "NBA" skills he has.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NBA skills? Pump the brakes......Lofton never even suited up for the team......

Last time I saw him he was 6'-4" rounded up. At your rate he will be 6'-7" by the time the season starts.

His numbers at Illinois State were not good. Not worth talking about much him unless Richard changes his mind.

Why would we want to take away minutes from guys like Nate, Dupree, Jarvis by bringing in Lofton?

I'll take coach P's evaluation over yours.

The only guys that were on campus that are still on the roster from when those comments were made are King and Buggs, so big deal. Kevin Payton had an NBA ready body.

When McNeil and Mason destroyed Lofton in the preseason Coach changed his tune.

Zach better ditch Jigga Go-Go and sign with Teddy Archer to get workouts scheduled before the draft.

Top Bottom