All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

A Maryland recruiting update on BT Powerhouse, a Big Ten basketball SB Nation page, had a couple blurbs about Alex Illikainen and Jarvis Johnson. I didn't know that Alex used to play hockey.

http://www.btpowerhouse.com/2014/7/...ting-updates-six-offers-made-in-the-past-week

"Alex Illikainen -- 6-9, 210 lbs. Power Forward. No. 24 PF, No. 103 National.

A stretch four with a solid low post game, the former hockey player has become a basketball revelation in the ice-dominated state. Illikainen will be taking his talents to Brewster Academy (N.H.) this year to finish his high school career against competition more suited to his skill level.

Illikainen was in the midst of an exceptional EYBL campaign before breaking his nose at the Peach Jam. The senior finished the EYBL season shooting 43% (29-67) from behind the arc, proving his worth as a true stretch forward. Illikainen's game is extremely polished for this stage in his development, being labeled as a "high IQ" player by nearly every coach or scout that he comes into contact with. Minnesota is the current front-runner for his services, with recent reports saying it's almost a done deal that the talented prospect returns to the Land of 10,000 Lakes for what should be an exceptional college career.

Jarvis Johnson -- 6-1, 170 lbs. Point Guard. No. 25 PG, No. 128 National.

If Johnson has proven anything in his short time as vaunted basketball prospect, it's that he's a winner. The Minnesota native has won three consecutive state titles for De La Salle High School (Minn.).

Despite running the point, Johnson is really more of a scoring threat. He's explosive, exciting and erratic. His shot selection is wildly inconsistent, but when he's on the diminutive guard can put points up faster than the scoreboard technician can add them. In terms of playing style, Johnson is more Nate Robinson than John Stockton, but his stature will relegate him to to point guard.

Athletically, few are as gifted. Johnson is intense, animated and exciting. If he can learn how to approach the game with a bit more aplomb he could be one of the more dynamic scoring threats in the Big Ten.

Following from recent reports, it is very likely Johnson ends up a Golden Gopher, remaining to play in the state he calls home."

Minnesota is the current front-runner for his services, with recent reports saying it's almost a done deal that the talented prospect returns to the Land of 10,000 Lakes for what should be an exceptional college career.

Following from recent reports, it is very likely Johnson ends up a Golden Gopher, remaining to play in the state he calls home."

What are they waiting for???????

Yes, I am emotionally unstable and selfish.

What a class that would be!

It needs to be; we lose our pg, sg, and center....
Hollins, Mathieu, Eliason, and Walker...
Even if we land Dorsey, Alex Illikainen, and Jarvis Johnson I think we might be a better team this year than next...

It needs to be; we lose our pg, sg, and center....
Hollins, Mathieu, Eliason, and Walker...
Even if we land Dorsey, Alex Illikainen, and Jarvis Johnson I think we might be a better team this year than next...

Who knows if we'll be better or worse. We'll be losing some key guys, but remember guys like Martin, Morris, Diedhiou, Konate, Lofton, and Mason will be returning with a year's experience in addition to our 2015 recruits. I think we could still be pretty damn good if those other guys develop this season.

Clarke would have absolutely no effect on Jarvis and according to Ryan James we are completely willing to take 3 guards assuming they are the right ones (such as Jarvis and McBrayer).

Well Clarke would have some affect on the number of scholarships we have.

But the main point I was trying to convey in my post, is that I want Jarvis to hurry up and make a decision (Pick the Gophers) before we find other kids that would appreciate MN interest/offer.

The article that was put up today is very encouraging, but I want to know now.(Coach P probably would like to know too)

Well Clarke would have some affect on the number of scholarships we have.

But the main point I was trying to convey in my post, is that I want Jarvis to hurry up and make a decision (Pick the Gophers) before we find other kids that would appreciate MN interest/offer.

The article that was put up today is very encouraging, but I want to know now.(Coach P probably would like to know too)

Still wouldn't really affect Jarvis as the plan is to take two more guards, one wing and one big.

Will need a couple big guys in the next recruiting class. Awfully thin after EE and Mo finish up their careers.

Will need a couple big guys in the next recruiting class. Awfully thin after EE and Mo finish up their careers.

King, Konate, Diedhiou, Martin, Buggs and AI is fine for 2015. Konate and Diehiou will be as old as a junior or senior for the 2015 season.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Minnesota has offered 2015 guard Craig Randall Jr. of Shadow Mountain (AZ).</p>— Alex Kline (@TheRecruitScoop) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/statuses/495391955237748738">August 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

King, Konate, Diedhiou, Martin, Buggs and AI is fine for 2015. Konate and Diehiou will be as old as a junior or senior for the 2015 season.
No doubt but this year my expectations are that we make it to the sweet 16... In 2015 I will be happy if we make the tournament based on the little info we have on all the Pitino recruits... But the biggest difference might be playing sophomores and freshmen instead of seniors between this year and next year... This last year I was expecting to make the NCAA and think we would have if Andre did not get undercut at Wisconsin and roll his ankle...

This will be the last year for Tubby recruits except Buggs...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Minnesota has offered 2015 guard Craig Randall Jr. of Shadow Mountain (AZ).</p>— Alex Kline (@TheRecruitScoop) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/statuses/495391955237748738">August 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WkxHHTbrTEQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Interesting offer, not really rated highly at all. The staff must see something special in him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WkxHHTbrTEQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Interesting offer, not really rated highly at all. The staff must see something special in him.

Wow, I really, really like this kid's game. I'm shocked he isn't ranked higher and have more big time offers. He is a bouncy PG so I could see him being a JJ alternative.

Wow, I really, really like this kid's game. I'm shocked he isn't ranked higher and have more big time offers. He is a bouncy PG so I could see him being a JJ alternative.

Boys basketball: Craig Randall will transfer to Phoenix-area school

Filed on June 10, 2014 by Albert Grindle
Leave a Comment
MEDINA — The basketball destinations of the Randall family will extend to Arizona.
Less than two months after Medina boys coach Anthony Stacey resigned, All-Ohio guard Craig Randall transferred to Shadow Mountain High School in Phoenix.
One of the assistant coaches for Shadow Mountain is former NBA point guard Mike Bibby, whose son Michael is the team’s star player and point guard. The Matadors are the defending Arizona Interscholastic Association Division II state champion.
“Craig’s got to do what’s best for him, but I think everyone is underestimating the quality of guards we still have at Medina,” Bees coach Chris Hassinger, who replaced Stacey, said Monday.
Randall’s father, Craig Sr., already is living in Arizona due to a job transfer. The rest of the family remained in Medina until the future of Craig Jr. was decided.
Shadow Mountain will be Randall’s fourth school in five years. The 6-foot-2 guard went to Canfield in middle school and played his first two years of high school basketball at Girard before transferring to Medina in the summer of 2013. Randall plays AAU for the Ohio Basketball Club, of which Stacey is a coach.
Changing schools is nothing new to the Randalls.
Craig’s brother Kyle, who plays for the NBA Develepmental League’s Canton Charge, went to high school at Kennedy Catholic in Pennsylvania and was a Southern Conference All-Freshman selection at UNC-Greensboro. He then transferred before his senior year to Central Michigan, where he averaged 18.7 points.
Lance, the oldest, began his high school career at Canfield before transferring to Youngstown Ursuline as a senior. He played collegiately at Wheeling Jesuit in West Virginia.
Craig Randall was a third-team D-I All-Ohio selection after averaging 19.4 points, 5.1 rebounds and 4.4 assists in his lone season at Medina. The Bees went 19-7 and lost the Copley District title game to Uniontown Lake.
An ESPN.com three-star recruit, Randall visited Arizona State and recently received offers from Louisiana Tech and the College of Charleston. He holds other offers from Akron, Cleveland State, Drexel, Kent State, Northeastern, Robert Morris, St. Joseph’s and Toledo.
Randall would not have been the most highly recruited player on Medina’s roster next season. Incoming junior Jon Teske already has been offered by Ohio State, and Michigan is expected to follow suit next week. The 6-foot-10 center also is receiving interest from Purdue, Dayton, Indiana and Xavier.
Teske will be the centerpiece of the Bees without Randall.
“We’ve been talking a lot lately about how we have to be like the Spurs,” Hassinger said of the NBA Western Conference champions. “We don’t have the one guy who can break people down off the dribble, but when we play collectively, we’re pretty good. Jon changes so many things for us that we’ll be OK.”
Contact Albert Grindle at (330) 721-4043 or [email protected].

http://medinagazette.northcoastnow....ig-randall-will-transfer-phoenix-area-school/

Not sure playing with Bibby Jr. is the best thing, one of the most selfish ball hogs I have ever watched.

Point Guard High...

Not sure playing with Bibby Jr. is the best thing, one of the most selfish ball hogs I have ever watched.
Richard Obert, azcentral sports 6:08 a.m. MST July 27, 2014

Phoenix Shadow Mountain is starting to look like "Point Guard High," under Bibby's direction.

Bibby's son, Michael, a 6-foot-1 junior, made All-Arizona last season, leading the Matadors to the Division II basketball championship with his dad leading the team.

Now enter All-Ohio point guard Craig Randall, who averaged 20 points at Medina High last season as a junior. And possibly Gilbert Perry junior point guard Bryce Fisher, who retweeted a tweet saying he is transferring to Shadow Mountain.

The 6-foot-3 senior left-handed Randall, who has great hops and handles, made the move after his Medina coach resigned and to make the transition with his father, Craig Randall Sr., who took a job in Phoenix in March.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...-bibby-shadow-mountain-point-guards/13118183/

Randall is intriguing. He'd be primarily a SG in our system, but has a lot of PG skills. After watching that highlight reel, I'm also surprised that he's ranked so low and had no major conference offers before ours. I love what Pitino is doing with our back court, he clearly wants lots of guys who can handle the ball and create for themselves and others, rather than the standard makeup where the PG handles most of that and everyone else plays off the ball.

Don't think we were in the discussion at all lately but Jarred Reuter committed to Virginia today.

Glad you posted the link, I was confused by the other article that said Bibby was just an assistant there. He was very much the head coach on the court calling the shots and as the story pointed out, he was acting head coach without the credentials to have the head coach title.

Should be good Randall to play on a good team with other talented guards and learn from an NBA vet even if Bibby Jr. demands the ball at all times and pulls from anywhere when it's not the best option or right time to launch a deep three ball. I'd be curious what his percentages were on the season. Bibby must have threw up 20 three pointers in the state championship game, granted I think he made 7 or 8.

Without looking, I thought we only had 4 scholarships free next year, 3 left after our Dorsey committed.

You are correct, we have 3 left currently. In this day and age scholarships open up all the time though. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a five player class.

You are correct, we have 3 left currently. In this day and age scholarships open up all the time though. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a five player class.

I see. That must be the assumption others are going off of too. If another guard signs, I'd still be somewhat surprised if that doesn't put Jarvis out of the mix. I'm not a huge fan of adding more players then scholarships available and pushing someone out or expecting a transfer.

Randall is intriguing. He'd be primarily a SG in our system, but has a lot of PG skills. After watching that highlight reel, I'm also surprised that he's ranked so low and had no major conference offers before ours. I love what Pitino is doing with our back court, he clearly wants lots of guys who can handle the ball and create for themselves and others, rather than the standard makeup where the PG handles most of that and everyone else plays off the ball.

You said it right there. Because it's a highlight reel! When has a recruit's mixtape ever looked bad? You don't see the true player (besides their athleticism) in a 3 minute highlight tape.

True enough, but what I could tell from the video is that he has good form on his jumper, and the way he elevates and creates separation on his shot should be effective at any level, as that reminded me a bit of Dre. He also seems to have some playmaking talent. I wasn't blown away by his athleticism or handle, and don't know enough to speculate beyond that.

I see. That must be the assumption others are going off of too. If another guard signs, I'd still be somewhat surprised if that doesn't put Jarvis out of the mix. I'm not a huge fan of adding more players then scholarships available and pushing someone out or expecting a transfer.

It's not an assumption by me, it's apparently the coaches plan per Ryan James. You have to go back a while to find a year without at least one defection. The coaches plan (again, per James) is to take two more guards along with Dorsey as well as a wing and a big.

Top Bottom