All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

All lies. Doesn't he know we are only recruiting wings that are 6'3" or shorter?

I don't think he's much taller. What surprised me a bit, though, is that he seems to be a bit on the heavy side for a Pitino player. He spent the earlier part of his prep career as a big man but has transitioned more to wing role. He's played for multiple schools. He's now playing for one of those basketball programs like Findlay Prep that isn't an actual school but partners with an actual school for the academic side of the training. They play something like a 35 game schedule.

I think he was a four star in ESPN's ratings but may have been downgraded. He doesn't have a great set of offers and they're mostly schools closer to his home region.

I don't think he's much taller. What surprised me a bit, though, is that he seems to be a bit on the heavy side for a Pitino player. He spent the earlier part of his prep career as a big man but has transitioned more to wing role. He's played for multiple schools. He's now playing for one of those basketball programs like Findlay Prep that isn't an actual school but partners with an actual school for the academic side of the training. They play something like a 35 game schedule.

I think he was a four star in ESPN's ratings but may have been downgraded. He doesn't have a great set of offers and they're mostly schools closer to his home region.

Yeah, was just making fun of a poster who has said Pitino doesn't know what he is doing and is only recruiting wings 6'3" or under. Kohl is listed at 6'5".

Yeah, was just making fun of a poster who has said Pitino doesn't know what he is doing and is only recruiting wings 6'3" or under. Kohl is listed at 6'5".

Yeah, I do find it pretty silly when people will look at certain decisions by the coach and then extrapolate those into some fixed set of preferences. More than a couple of posters on here have said that Pitino wouldn't ever play a three forward lineup. He's now started that type of lineup for a number of games.

I'm willing to bet if Kohl was 30 pounds lighter, he'd be a top 150 guy. He moves well for his size and has good handles. A summer in the strength and conditioning program and all that extra weight is gone.

Wouldn't want him to be 30 pounds lighter - his size is part of his game [rebounding especially], but further conditioning will help.

LNH notes from 2012
Weight has been up around 235 – too high. Projects as a big 2 or 3. Physical player; with conditioning could turn out to be solid. Had a nice spring for his high school team, providing strong overall play and putting up some 25+ point games. Uses IQ and size to rebound.

Kohl has dropped quite a bit of weight, here is a fairly recent pic of him:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

From searching Twitter it appears that Providence is strongly looking at Kohl with them being "3 deep" at one of his early February games. Their is also a full game video on YouTube of Koh's Coastal Academny playing a game this season. I watched some of it and really only came away with a few notes: Kohl's team plays zone (not good IMHO), he wasn't a primary ball handler for his team, and I'd take the under on 6'5 in a heartbeat.

New highlights and an interview with Dorsey:

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

1st team All-Metro. Don't think the Gophers were/are interested in any of these guys.

http://m.mnbasketballhub.com/news_article/show/488701?referrer_id=

Steffon Mitchell is a junior who may yet get a Gopher offer, we'll see. Marshawn Wilson had significant interest from the Gophers but apparently is a non-qualifier going to juco. We may see him in maroon & gold in 2 years. Never heard of the Hopkins guy, and Gibson had no high major offers. Anim is the only one we turned down that had any other high major offers.

So sure, in a few years hindsight may prove we should've taken one of these guys -- happens all the time -- but who knows which one, and obviously we can't take them all. We got the consensus #1 prospect in MN this year, the guy everybody wanted, so it was a good year for in state recruiting IMO.

So sure, in a few years hindsight may prove we should've taken one of these guys -- happens all the time -- but who knows which one, and obviously we can't take them all. We got the consensus #1 prospect in MN this year, the guy everybody wanted, so it was a good year for in state recruiting IMO.

I thought Illikainen was consensus #1 and Jarvis was #2? Or do we not count Illikainen as he went to prep school?

Go Gophers!!

If we get Ellison I will be significantly more optimistic about next year and beyond. We need some lanky wings.

Some news and notes on our 2015 recruits and potential recruits.

-Kevin Dorsey was named Capital Beltway POTY. Conference only has 5 teams but it is still a nice honor for him.

-Chris Boucher's team, Northwest College, is the seventh overall seed in the NJCAA National Tournament. We shall see how he preforms against some of the top teams. He plays tommorrow at 2pm. Not sure if there is a website with a stream or not.

-KJ Walton will likely be a finalist for the prestigious, Indiana Mr. Basketball.

Steffon Mitchell is a junior who may yet get a Gopher offer, we'll see. Marshawn Wilson had significant interest from the Gophers but apparently is a non-qualifier going to juco. We may see him in maroon & gold in 2 years. Never heard of the Hopkins guy, and Gibson had no high major offers. Anim is the only one we turned down that had any other high major offers.

Marshawn is easily my favorite offensive player in the state. Would love to see him get his academics in order and come home to the Gophs.

I'm very High on Sacar as well on both sides of the ball, to me he feels like a big miss.

Hopkins guy is talented, athletic, long wing man does a lot of things well. I think he will be a solid D1 talent not sure how well do or at what level.

We may not have had interest as scholarship players, but have any of them had any mention of playing at the U as walk ons? It seems to me that we have the room for at least a few more walk on players, particularly with Shell's pending graduation.

in the three-game postseason Marshawn Wilson averaged 34.3 points and 13.7 rebounds. In an 85-78 loss to St. Paul Johnson in the section final, he had 40 points 18 rebounds.

"Without question, he is the most athletic player in the state," Johnson coach Vern Simmons said...... Per HM coach. He's handling his grades and doing very well. He's taking responsibility for his expectations and asking for help when needed. School is a priority.

"The overall maturing he has done over the last four years has been really impressive."

Wilson has offers from Wisconsin, Iowa State, Creighton and Texas Christian. Marquette also is interested. He has made an official visit to Creighton and an unofficial one to Wisconsin, and plans to make official visits to TCU, Wisconsin and Iowa State.

in the three-game postseason Marshawn Wilson averaged 34.3 points and 13.7 rebounds. In an 85-78 loss to St. Paul Johnson in the section final, he had 40 points 18 rebounds.

"Without question, he is the most athletic player in the state," Johnson coach Vern Simmons said...... Per HM coach. He's handling his grades and doing very well. He's taking responsibility for his expectations and asking for help when needed. School is a priority.

"The overall maturing he has done over the last four years has been really impressive."

Wilson has offers from Wisconsin, Iowa State, Creighton and Texas Christian. Marquette also is interested. He has made an official visit to Creighton and an unofficial one to Wisconsin, and plans to make official visits to TCU, Wisconsin and Iowa State.

With that being said; I've never actually heard anything concrete or official about him not qualifying. I think that is just the general consesus among our message board users because the staff has shown very little interest in him since the last write-up on him about a year ago .

If he does qualify and we didn't extend an offer, I feel he would be the biggest miss in a long time. I'd love to see him in Maroon and Gold.

Not only is he athletic and strong but he has a very long Wing span for 6'2, big hands, and plays above the rim.
He also has all the tools to be a big time combo-gaurd. (Ball handling, jump shot, pit bull dog mentality)

Saint Louis is Christian Williams best offer and that offer just came a little over a week ago. Seems like a backup plan type guy from what I can gather, but doesn't hurt to go watch a kid play since we're in the state for a game tomorrow.

No disrespect to Williams as I haven't seen him play, but does anyone else feel besides maybe Ellison or Walton that Sacar would be just as good if not better than the other wings we are going after like a Williams or a Tyson Jolly? Thoughts?

I don't think it means much, but Malik Ellison's friend, Traci Carter, committed to Marquette today. The two supposedly were thinking of going to the same college.

Top Bottom