All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

Travis Hines ‏@TravisHines21 Sep 17
Regarding Chris Clarke and a potential visit to Iowa State, sounds like it's still a possibility, but nothing is imminent.

I like how the board couldn't stop talking about how we could sign Jarvis as our 5th this fall no problem. And now the consensuses is no scollys left, no chance we add a 5th until spring.

Seems to me that the scholership offer's are being rescinded, no reason to visit a school from whom you don't have an offer.

Regarding Chris Clarke and a potential visit to Iowa State, sounds like it's still a possibility, but nothing is imminent.

I like how the board couldn't stop talking about how we could sign Jarvis as our 5th this fall no problem. And now the consensuses is no scollys left, no chance we add a 5th until spring.

You do a good job of inferring the consensus...

I don't recall everyone talking about Jarvis being a shoe in as the "5th" this fall. I do recall people saying we would take 5 commits this fall, which is true. So before Jarvis signed, it seemed plausible that we'd take 5 fall commits if Jarvis/AI both wanted to commit for example. Seems like a realistic "consensus" by the board that there's no imminent commitment, and we likely wouldn't sign another 2015 recruit until the Spring.

I'd say the reason people used to think that we could sign a 5th in the Fall was due to media members indicating it was a possibility, hence this board running with it. Ever since we signed Jarvis, media members have backtracked and indicated that it's now unlikely. Add in the fact that Pitino cancelled his visit to see Illikainen and never scheduled anything with Clarke, and that's where the consensus that the Gophers are likely done recruiting comes from. There's been no indication from the staff, media, Illikainen, Clarke, etc. that the Gophers are still recruiting for 2015. It appears their focus has shifted towards the 2016 and 2017 classes.

I agree with those who feel the Gophers will sign a 5th recruit this spring. Most likely it will be someone we have never heard of, but I like the idea of signing Sacar Anim. Since we are targeting 6-6 Hurt at the 3 for 2016, I could see us signing Anim as a 2-3. At 6-4 185 lbs. I believe he will be big enough to play some at the 3, and he appears to me to be a very physical player.

Far from a consensus then and likely not a consensus now. Really more speculation than anything. We don't have any precedent on how Pitino would have handled things if all three wanted to commit that weekend (Jarvis/Alex/Nwankwo).

What likely happened is Alex was given one last chance to commit on that "last second" unofficial visit the Friday before Nwankwo/Jarvis were on campus with no assurance there would be a spot open by the end of the weekend. Alex chose to keep his options open, for better or worse.

I'd say the reason people used to think that we could sign a 5th in the Fall was due to media members indicating it was a possibility, hence this board running with it. Ever since we signed Jarvis, media members have backtracked and indicated that it's now unlikely. Add in the fact that Pitino cancelled his visit to see Illikainen and never scheduled anything with Clarke, and that's where the consensus that the Gophers are likely done recruiting comes from. There's been no indication from the staff, media, Illikainen, Clarke, etc. that the Gophers are still recruiting for 2015. It appears their focus has shifted towards the 2016 and 2017 classes.

+1,000,000. The bolded solidifies the opinion that we are not seeking a 5th commit at this time. While many of us thought staff may continue to recruit, it's obviously not the case as we are no longer showing interest to two of our former top targets.

I agree with those who feel the Gophers will sign a 5th recruit this spring. Most likely it will be someone we have never heard of, but I like the idea of signing Sacar Anim. Since we are targeting 6-6 Hurt at the 3 for 2016, I could see us signing Anim as a 2-3. At 6-4 185 lbs. I believe he will be big enough to play some at the 3, and he appears to me to be a very physical player.

What about that guy from Seattle Petino recruited but he couldn't get in due to grades or something. I can't remember his name or what school he went to at the top of my head, but I know he played the 3 and that a lot of us on here were pumped we got him. I'm assuming he went to JC and is definitely a transfer candidate for Petino in the spring, no?

What about that guy from Seattle Petino recruited but he couldn't get in due to grades or something. I can't remember his name or what school he went to at the top of my head, but I know he played the 3 and that a lot of us on here were pumped we got him. I'm assuming he went to JC and is definitely a transfer candidate for Petino in the spring, no?

Djuan Piper. I think(?) he went JUCO and won't be available until 2016.

Many, many posters that wrote about 'a fifth scholarship will open up'... With not many posters challenging that stance.

HOOP DREAMS -- I was definitely one of those that thought we would still keep recruiting 2015, at least until the Diedhiou situation was resolved. But, as Gold Vision and others have pointed out, it does seem that he has stopped recruiting 2015 (reading between the lines). That being said.....if Illikainen or Clarke call, I'm guessing Pitino would still pick up the phone.

With his ability to focus on recruiting 2016+ it will be very interesting to watch the traction he can get early with top100 type talents. If this class is any indication as to his ability to get his"coveted" recruit I would be anxious to see his next BIG time signing given that he can start making good progress now with little to no effect on the current commits he has obtained.

Yes, and that is what the Iowa message board is saying a about AI

Ok. Have fun with that.

If Clarke wanted to come here, I'd be shocked if Richard said, 'Sorry, I don't want to over recruit'.

Pitino. Please. Slight OCD can't take it. Ha.

Ok. Have fun with that.

If Clarke wanted to come here, I'd be shocked if Richard said, 'Sorry, I don't want to over recruit'.

I think you are wrong, I don't think he has an offer that he could commit on today.

I think there are only a slew of programs that can play the game that way, they assume a couple are going to turn pro, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, Syracuse, and over sign, others are going to end up with a rep like Crean, not sure that would be a good thing for a mid level program, he gets away with it at Indiana, would it be the same case at Minnesota.

Not a surprise:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I guess this whole Nebraska being competitive in basketball nightmare is not going to go away anytime soon.

Looks like we visited a JUCO today - not sure if this is for 2015 or 2016:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Cullen Russo is on their roster - local 6-9 forward....

Looks like Marquette taking Wally worked out just the way they wanted it to.

Top Bottom