All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

Sacar the high majors do not like his slow and unorthodox release or accuracy from 3. At 6'4 you got a be a lead guard or be a good shooting 2. Last night the guy he was guarding a sophmore Trent bagged 31 off of Anim. Sacar would sign with the U in a heartbeat if they offered.
just out of curiosity, were you at the game? Goanar Mar was guarding him most of the game. I watched the last thee games of day with Champlin vs CDH, Tonka vs. Chanhassen, and the AV vs DeLaSalle game. Out of those games I'd have to say the most impressive players were Gary Trent, Joe Rosga from CDH, JT Gibson Theo John and Mckinnely Wright from Champlin, and Sacar Anim. (Jarvis 21 but didn't stand out). Gary Trent is going to score points against whoever guards him. He's a great player. I strongly believe the Gophers should give Sacar Anim an offer. He's amazingly good at finishing around the rim and his shot isn't as terrible as people make it out to be

I went to watch De La Salle and Washburn play a couple years ago at Washburn. I went there expecting to see a couple great HS Basketball players, Reid Travis and Jarvis Johnson. While I was watching the game I kept looking at my program to see who this Sacar Anim was. For a good part of the game, to me he was the best and most effective player on the floor. I have seen him play 3 or 4 more times since and he has always looked very good to me. I trust Pitino to make the decision but I would not be disappointed to see him as a Gopher.

Edit: I should add that Travis scored about 20 and missed one shot if I recall correctly so he was clearly the best player that game. But I was most surprised with the talent of Anim.

just out of curiosity, were you at the game? Goanar Mar was guarding him most of the game. I watched the last thee games of day with Champlin vs CDH, Tonka vs. Chanhassen, and the AV vs DeLaSalle game. Out of those games I'd have to say the most impressive players were Gary Trent, Joe Rosga from CDH, JT Gibson Theo John and Mckinnely Wright from Champlin, and Sacar Anim. (Jarvis 21 but didn't stand out). Gary Trent is going to score points against whoever guards him. He's a great player. I strongly believe the Gophers should give Sacar Anim an offer. He's amazingly good at finishing around the rim and his shot isn't as terrible as people make it out to be

Is Jarvis hurt?

Is Jarvis hurt?

Stop.

On a more relevant note, I agree with many of the others posters regarding Sacar. Seen him live 6-7 times in the EYBL and he was almost always one of the most impressive players in the court. His shot isn't the worst thing in the world, he's the top defender in the state, and he's as good as any recruit at getting to the rim and finishing around the rim. We won't offer, but we should.

Jarvis is fine. Not impressed with is shooting or his instincts ...He played solid vs AV. Odd that Thorson would put Mar on top scorer . Wisc would be on Sacar if he was a solid high D1 prospect they have 3 open schollies and are known for grabbing MN kids that the U passes on. Theo John scored 4 pts. vs Cretin . Theo John scored 4 pts...not an impressive number.

Sacar scored nearly all his points off the dribble last night. He was a stud yesterday. Great body control and slashing around the rim. Kid can play and he's going to be a get for somebody.

He's an inconsistent shooter though. Flat shot.

Jarvis had a monster dunk in traffic yesterday. One of the best games Jarvis has played that I've seen and I've seen many De La Salle games.

And Trent is a MONSTER. 5 of 6 from deep. Felt like he had 15 points before the opening tip. He had some late game turnovers that let De La Salle into the game but he's something special being only a sophomore.

Jarvis had a monster dunk in traffic yesterday. One of the best games Jarvis has played that I've seen and I've seen many De La Salle games.

I think part of why I wasn't overly impressed is because I go in to his games having high expectations. He's one of those players where it doesn't look like he is going his hardest every minute or is playing great, but you look at the scoreboard and he has 20 points

Theo John scored 4 pts. vs Cretin . Theo John scored 4 pts...not an impressive number.

His size and potential stood out to me. Very athletic and reminds me a bit of Reid Travis. Had some great blocks and rebounds. He's still only a Sophomore. One play he blocked a guy trying to dunk and went down on the other end an threw down a "Mbakwe Style" two hand dunk. Cretins Center did a great job defending him. He had almost zero post entries to him

Their is a lot of projection to Jarvis Johnson, everything in recruiting is not about what the player does now, but what they could do at the next level. Sacar played with Howard Pulley this summer, so he got a ton of exposure to high major coaches while playing against other potential high major players. The offers from high majors just haven't come (or at least haven't been reported). Maybe Pitino "misses" on him, but in Sacar's situation virtually every other high major program would miss on him too.

His (Theo John) size and potential stood out to me. Very athletic and reminds me a bit of Reid Travis. Had some great blocks and rebounds. He's still only a Sophomore. One play he blocked a guy trying to dunk and went down on the other end an threw down a "Mbakwe Style" two hand dunk. Cretins Center did a great job defending him. He had almost zero post entries to him

I like John. He visited UW for the weekend of the Nebraska football game, but does not have an offer yet. While he was not a huge factor in the game on Saturday, there is definitely a lot of potential there. He’s listed at 6’8”, which is probably a little exaggeration, but he’s very well-built for a HS sophomore. I would say he’s a good, though not great, athlete. He moves well and has good bounce, and has a really long wing span. Champlin Park is very guard-oriented, so he did not get many post touches, but he kept working hard to get position in the post. Because of the lack of post touches, I can’t say much about his offensive skills, but his shooting mechanics looked solid in warm-ups and on his FTs (though he missed all 4 attempts). Defensively, he blocked a couple shots and tried to provide help on CDH’s drives to the bucket, but he was a little slow with his rotations. You could see that he knew where he should be going, but CDH is a very good offensive team and he was not able to get there in time on a number of occasions. He also got baited into a charge by one of CDH’s seniors. He has some things to learn about the game and how he can make an impact for his team, but he has a lot of tools to work with. I would be surprised by an early off from UW, but something later next summer (he plays AAU with Howard Pulley) or fall would not be a shock.

Jarvis is dynamic in the open court with his athleticism, and he made some really nice plays early in the game. But he had a relatively quiet 21 points. He has a lot of potential to be a very good Big 10 guard, but he needs to play consistently tough defense, pay attention off the ball, and continue to improve his shooting. With Mason and Dorsey on the roster, I suspect he plays more off the ball at the next level, which is probably good as he still struggles to run an offense in the halfcourt.

I know UW spent time looking at Sacar, and like some others in this thread, I like him. However, there is obviously something that high major coaches are not seeing given the lack offers. That said, he is a nice prospect with his ability to slash and score from the wing. He’s also a pretty good defender, but he still is a below average shooter. He was DLS’s best player on Saturday, with 35 points on 13-22 shooting. Almost all of that was in transition or around the bucket. Shooting is still the area he needs the most improvement in.

The DSL prospect with maybe the most potential is 2017 wing Goanar Mar. He was not a factor in this game, but I have seen him play much better. He seemed to be the primary defender on Trent, and Gary’s hot start may have thrown Goanar off for the whole game. He will certainly have better games as the season goes on, and I will be interested to see who else offers. Only an Iowa St. offer to date?

As his dad was, Gary Trent, Jr. is a very physical player with a pretty developed body. He is mostly a shooter at this point, but he can get to the bucket, primarily with a bull move when he decides to attack. I had him for 31 last night, shooting 5-9 from downtown and 8-22 overall. He needs to continue working on his ball-handling, as he turned it over a few too many times and got into some tough positions on some of his drives to the bucket. Definite big time prospect though. Plays a very physical game and both ends and with the same sort of swagger and scowl that his dad did.

The DSL prospect with maybe the most potential is 2017 wing Goanar Mar. He was not a factor in this game, but I have seen him play much better. He seemed to be the primary defender on Trent, and Gary’s hot start may have thrown Goanar off for the whole game. He will certainly have better games as the season goes on, and I will be interested to see who else offers. Only an Iowa St. offer to date?

Other high majors... I think Nebraska offered awhile back.

I went to watch De La Salle and Washburn play a couple years ago at Washburn. I went there expecting to see a couple great HS Basketball players, Reid Travis and Jarvis Johnson. While I was watching the game I kept looking at my program to see who this Sacar Anim was. For a good part of the game, to me he was the best and most effective player on the floor. I have seen him play 3 or 4 more times since and he has always looked very good to me. I trust Pitino to make the decision but I would not be disappointed to see him as a Gopher.

Edit: I should add that Travis scored about 20 and missed one shot if I recall correctly so he was clearly the best player that game. But I was most surprised with the talent of Anim.

Funny, this is exactly what happened to me the first time I watched Sacar live. When you think about players the Gophers have had in the past.. Ahanmisi, Armelin, Ellenson, there's no reason Sacar couldn't play at the U… but I'm not surprised Pitino has his eyes set on higher end talents like Walton… and this past summer, a guy like McBrayer over Sacar.

Sacar's numbers look fantastic after most games, he is great at getting to the hoop and finishing … his handle and shot are decent but those are two things Pitino wants out of any guard in his system.. he wants them all to be able to handle the ball well and shoot well.. if you're just OK at those things, that might not good enough for Pitino.

If they miss on Walton and some other players, Anim would not be a bad option. Thought I read somewhere that Anim could end up doing a prep school next year and likely end up at a nice high major school the following year.

Jarvis is fine. Not impressed with is shooting or his instincts ...He played solid vs AV. Odd that Thorson would put Mar on top scorer . Wisc would be on Sacar if he was a solid high D1 prospect they have 3 open schollies and are known for grabbing MN kids that the U passes on. Theo John scored 4 pts. vs Cretin . Theo John scored 4 pts...not an impressive number.

I was at the game and I didn't see Mar guard Trent at all. Mar was guarding Kirksey. Trent looks like a top 15 national player. Anim or Jarvis couldn't check him.

I would take Anim if I was Pitino. He stands out to me more than Jarvis. Jarvis is freakishly athletic but in the game he doesn't really stand out to me as a big 10 guard.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sacar at 6-4 185 looks like the small foward sized player we had in Austin, and Morris. Not sure Morris is a great shooter and he is doing fine. Sacar is stronger and will get bigger.

Kind of confused on why everyone is knocking Jarvis. I was at the game and he played just fine. Made two pull up jumpers off ball screens and even hit a clutch 3 when De was fighting their way back. In transition he was unstoppable.

Kind of confused on why everyone is knocking Jarvis. I was at the game and he played just fine. Made two pull up jumpers off ball screens and even hit a clutch 3 when De was fighting their way back. In transition he was unstoppable.

yeah I thought he was fine too. Anybody else at the game realize how bad Delasalles half court offense is? No spacing and that doesn't help Jarvis

Walton's recruitment remains ongoing. Minnesota coach Richard Pitino watched him two weeks ago against East Chicago Central and has offered a scholarship. Cincinnati was also in attendance and Georgia Tech and Xavier are also in frequent contact.

"Georgia Tech, Xavier and Minnesota, those are the three I've been hearing from a lot," Walton said. "Cincinnati kind of came back into it."

http://www.indystar.com/story/recru...nterested-mr-basketball-aspirations/20630029/

yeah I thought he was fine too. Anybody else at the game realize how bad Delasalles half court offense is? No spacing and that doesn't help Jarvis

I had the same impression when I saw him in AAU games, my concern is he didn't even attempt to get some semblance of floor balance and that is part of being a PG, the other kid (Broman) did a better job of that, I think he is going to see most of his minutes at the off guard position, he's a decent shooter, great penetrator, and loves to pass. Pitino basically plays two guys that have PG type skills, I think he will fit the system perfectly, prefer him much more than Anim.

Gophers reportedly watched Tyler Kohl recently, probably on the same trip they watched 2016 G Shamorie Ponds. I first became aware of Kohl from GW's site latenighthoops.com, and he's kind of like the Mo Walker of wing players. He's (or at least was) way out of shape, but it's obvious he has a ton of skill. Get him in Brown's conditioning program and he could potentially be a beast of a player. From watching his video my biggest concern about him is that he's so stocky in the lower body that I wonder if he can drop enough weight/acquire enough quickness to play in Pitino's system. Fun video to watch though, I'd recommend it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SDTmrPFdAiY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man...Kohl looks as fat as I am on that video. He gets off the ground considerably better, though. According to the video, he looks very skilled (love the look of his shot and his court vision), but would definitely need to pull a Mo Walker to play for Pitino.

Amazing how quick and athletic (he can already dunk better than EE!) he is at that weight. I'd actually be pretty interested in bringing him in. Maybe even redshirt him while he works on his body.

ETA: His body reminds me of Anthony Mason.

2015 Wing Tyler Kohl Closing in On Decision http://zagsblog.com/articles/2015-wing-tyler-kohl-closing-in-on-decision/
Tyler Kohl, a 6-foot-4 combo guard from Coastal Academy (N.J.), is closing in on a college decision, with Providence, Minnesota, St. John’s, Rhode Island and La Salle among those in the mix.

Assistant coaches from St. John’s, Providence and Minnesota all watched Kohl go for 23 points Sunday as coach Ian Turnbull’s Coastal Academy team knocked off Believe Prep, 64-51, at the CityLegendz Classic at the Gauchos Gym.

“We don’t want to drag it out,” Anthony Ross, Kohl’s brother, told SNY.tv by phone Sunday evening. “We want to try to get this done in a reasonable time just so we can get the ball rolling wherever his destination is going to be for his freshman year. It’s something we don’t want to drag on into the spring if we don’t have to.

“Hopefully within the next month, two months, we can make a decision.”

Ross said Providence, Minnesota, La Salle and Rhode Island had been in the mix the longest.

Kohl is expected to attend Monday night’s Miami-Providence game at Barclays Center, and will then take other visits going forward.

“We plan on taking visits,” Ross said. “We want to see what the season’s going to be like, see if there’s any other situations that come up. We like the recruiting that’s going on, we like the schools. We have a good relationship with the coaches. they all seem like great guys.

“We plan on trying to get out to some games and taking some visits.”

One coach recruiting Kohl said he “can really shoot, can pass, he’s a veteran player.”

Added Ross: “He has a high ceiling. The good thing about him is he started out at the center position when he first started playing basketball in high school, so he’s transitioned to the five down. You don’t usually see guys make that transition, from the five spot to the lead guard spot. If he can shed a few more pounds, I think a lot of college coaches will be shocked at the things he can do at that size. His ability to shoot the ball as a lead guard is something that I feel will be a great asset for a Division I school.”

Lousiville played 6-1 160 lb russ smith at the 2 guard until his sr season. Now Rozier, 6-1 190 is the sg. The Patino's emphasize quickness and ball handling over height, and in some ways shooting on the perimeter. Not that they wouldnt want a shooter, but if they arent at least average athletically they may not take them.

I had the same impression when I saw him in AAU games, my concern is he didn't even attempt to get some semblance of floor balance and that is part of being a PG, the other kid (Broman) did a better job of that, I think he is going to see most of his minutes at the off guard position, he's a decent shooter, great penetrator, and loves to pass. Pitino basically plays two guys that have PG type skills, I think he will fit the system perfectly, prefer him much more than Anim.

Top Bottom