Gophie the Garden Gnome

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
To help alleviate the angst on my move to Arizona, I bought this whimsical (read: cheesy) garden gnome at Kohl's to accompany my son and I on the drive. We named him Gophie, and took pictures of him in various spots along the way.

I published a few posts on this blog, Gophie the Garden Gnome, and will continue to do so as Gophie and my family acclimate to Phoenix.

I have only missed one home game since 1998, so this is quite a shock to our football system. This was a work-related move by my better half, Gopherfaith. We made a list of reasons to move and reasons to stay in Minnesota, and Gopher football was #3 after family and friends.

On the upside, it's a 5 1/2 drive to Las Cruces for the NMSU game--see you there.

Thanks for sharing. You're a brave, brave man for driving that far with cats in the car. I go bonkers driving mine to the vet with all the meowing and that's less than 2 miles away.

Thanks for all the kind words.

I also just got B1G Network and FSN added to by satellite today. Life is good!

We will be at the Twins game Sunday. 6 rows behind the visitors dugout. I will wave at you. Glad you got your tv viewing straightened out.

Glad to hear you made it safely and had some fun along the way. You should take Gophie with you to the NMSU game so we can keep tabs on him. I must admit, I was surprised to see Gopher football ranked so low ;-)

Take care!

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

Gophie refinished my Minnesota Golden Gophers Adirondack chair! Thanks, Gophie! He'll see you in Las Cruces, if not at the UNLV game!

PRq_wPtTSOU

Highwayman - you and your lovely wife are some of the most devoted Gopher Fans I've ever met. Best wishes in Arizona!

highwayman: My daughter and her family recently moved to Phoenix from the hinterland of Park Rapids/Menahga area. They too, have BTN and FSN to keep their fanhood of Minnesota Teams alive. The next time I talk to her, I will ask her permission to pass phone numbers to you for possible contact.

Couple of things:

1. They are non-drinkers, for obvious reasons I shall not explain (it has nothing to do with me);
2. My son in law is a die hard hockey puck;

highwayman: My daughter and her family recently moved to Phoenix from the hinterland of Park Rapids/Menahga area. They too, have BTN and FSN to keep their fanhood of Minnesota Teams alive. The next time I talk to her, I will ask her permission to pass phone numbers to you for possible contact.

Couple of things:

1. They are non-drinkers, for obvious reasons I shall not explain (it has nothing to do with me);
2. My son in law is a die hard hockey puck;

Don--it would be fun. I'm in the north end of town, near Anthem, if they know where that is. I'm still looking for a "Gopher Bar" to hole up in once in awhile. If you are ever in town, I'll buy you a drink, and you can buy me one.

I'm still unpacking, so my Gopher Wall of Fame is still in boxes. I will post pix once it is up and running.

The only bummer about FSN is that I can't watch Minnesota pro teams that have a complementary Arizona team, due to Federal black-out rules. I really only have it for the occasional local Minnesota event, like HS and Gopher hockey. Dish gave me all the Fox stations nationwide, and B1G for free as a long-time loyal customer. Fortunately, the Coyotes are here for the next 15 years, so I can go to 2 Wild games a year.

I don't know if I would EVER move South from Minnesota. That said, you are a brave, brave man, highway.

I don't know if I would EVER move South from Minnesota. That said, you are a brave, brave man, highway.

I will never have to shovel show again, nor suffer through 9 months of winter, like 2012-13.

Seriously, this was a job move by my other half, Gopherfaith. We wanted to retire here someday, but to have someone pay for you to get here was more than we could pass up.

We made a list of pros and cons, and Gopher Football was #3 on the con list. We had 6 season tickets and I had missed one home game since 1998. We hung onto two. I will likely be at half the home games, plus the roadie at NMSU and one B1G game, plus a bowl game.

Thank God for Gopherhole, and guys like Dr. Don and you--people I have never met, but we are brothers indeed, who help me keep my faith alive!

I will never have to shovel show again, nor suffer through 9 months of winter, like 2012-13.

Seriously, this was a job move by my other half, Gopherfaith. We wanted to retire here someday, but to have someone pay for you to get here was more than we could pass up.

We made a list of pros and cons, and Gopher Football was #3 on the con list. We had 6 season tickets and I had missed one home game since 1998. We hung onto two. I will likely be at half the home games, plus the roadie at NMSU and one B1G game, plus a bowl game.

Thank God for Gopherhole, and guys like Dr. Don and you--people I have never met, but we are brothers indeed, who help me keep my faith alive!

I am not sure how old you are.. but for myself, the heat is a deal breaker. I can handle a month or two of 90 degree weather, but that's it. I'll gladly deal with 9 months of snow and winter if it means less 90 degree days.

But, as I'm told by many of my elders, that my age will catch up to me and I'll feel much differently about the snow and winter in my later years. My grandfather spent about 15-20 years in Mesa, AZ, so I guess never say never.

Good luck down in AZ my man! I know there's a TON of snow birds down there with Minnesota ties, so it shouldn't be too long before you find your 2nd 'home'.

If your thinking about a road big 10 game Jim and I are going to the NW game. Talk about it.

He looks like he is getting smaller. How is he handling the heat?

A little "Gnome" Fact: if you bury him upside down facing TCF Stadium, victory is ours.

Perhaps there's other Legends out there regarding Gnome-etiquette.

It's just like you and I in the cold. Only part of him shrinks.

The last person I heard trying to convince people of that was George Costanza, but in his case I think it was the water.

Top Bottom