All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

Couple years old, Bombshell is a superb telling of the end of Roger Ailes at Fox News, and how that went down. Really well done, some really great performances, great cast all around.

Agreed, quite a stellar ensemble cast. Worth the time.

Just finished watching One Night In Miami. It's the night Clay (not Ali yet, of course) beat Liston in their first fight. Clay, Malcolm X, Jimmy Brown and Sam Cooke hang out together after the bout. Thought it was really good.

NIght Stalker - newer on Netflix.

Only 4 X 45 minutes episodes, so perfect for a reasonable weekend binge.

Great interviews with the cops who caught him, the victims who survived some of his attacks and family survivors of those who he killed and an in-depth look at a broken, evil person who committed horrific crimes.

Couple years old, Bombshell is a superb telling of the end of Roger Ailes at Fox News, and how that went down. Really well done, some really great performances, great cast all around.

John Lithgow is always great. Margot Robbie is always fun to watch and a decent actor as well.

Did you see the season where he was Dexter's serial killer nemesis? Another stellar performance.

John Lithgow is always great. Margot Robbie is always fun to watch and a decent actor as well.

Did you see the season where he was Dexter's serial killer nemesis? Another stellar performance.
Haven’t seen Dexter.

Yeah, they totally Jumped The Shark. Dexter the Lumberjack, lol.

Did you see that the're redoing the finale? Great gig, get paid twice for doing the finale, lol.

Dexter Showrunner Says Revival Isn't Season 9 But More A Second Finale For The Show (comicbook.com)

DId you ever watch Brockmire? Loved it because it was about baseball and carousing and funny as heck. The last season was basically unwatchable.
Agree 100%. The drunk and chaotic Brockmire was the best. Sober and dad Brockmire was horrible.

Dexter deserved better than that last season. They should just redo the entire season and let the viewers know they screwed up and bring a certain family member back.

Agree 100%. The drunk and chaotic Brockmire was the best. Sober and dad Brockmire was horrible.

Dexter deserved better than that last season. They should just redo the entire season and let the viewers know they screwed up and bring a certain family member back.

I'll watch the Dexter reboot as I invested a lot of time in it already and am interested to see what they come up with.

Waaaay late to the party here, but just now watching Ken Burns' "Country Music." It might be the best film of any genre ever made. Or maybe I'm just a hick. Or maybe it's really a/the history of the United States in the 20th century.

Anyone watch the new Denzel Washington movie The Little Things? It's streaming on HBO Max, as well as in theaters.

Was not a huge fan. I'd give it like a 6.5 out of 10. Nothing wrong with the acting or production ... just the source material was very bleh. Most of the time, nothing interesting is happening. Jared Leto's character is the only interesting time in the movie, pretty much. And I think that's maybe like 20mins of screen time in an over 2hr movie? You sit through it, and then there isn't even a payoff at the end. (not going to spoil what that means)

per Phillips:

The new season of Last Chance U will be arriving next week and Netflix dropped a trailer for the show's sixth installment. This year there's a twist, though: it will focus on junior college basketball instead of football.

The sixth season follows the 2019-20 season for the East Los Angeles College Huskies as they attempt to win their first California state basketball championship. The series is technically a spin-off, but the producers have stopped doing the football version of the show, so to fans this will simply continue the journey.

Here's the trailer:

Go Gophers!!

per Phillips:

The new season of Last Chance U will be arriving next week and Netflix dropped a trailer for the show's sixth installment. This year there's a twist, though: it will focus on junior college basketball instead of football.

The sixth season follows the 2019-20 season for the East Los Angeles College Huskies as they attempt to win their first California state basketball championship. The series is technically a spin-off, but the producers have stopped doing the football version of the show, so to fans this will simply continue the journey.

Here's the trailer:

Go Gophers!!
That looks good.

per Phillips:

Here's the trailer:

Go Gophers!!
Binge watched it. Thought it was really good.

Just watched Kid90 on Hulu, it was good, especially if you grew up in the 90's. Probably not to good for others.

"I Care A Lot" on Netflix was entertaining, I liked how they did it. Has the Little Guy, Tyrion from Game of Thrones, I like him.

Dexter was great up to last season.
Six Feet Under was really good to, from around the same time period.

6 FT was really good and liked that they made a show out of that premise - so creative and unusual.

Just watched Kid90 on Hulu, it was good, especially if you grew up in the 90's. Probably not to good for others.

"I Care A Lot" on Netflix was entertaining, I liked how they did it. Has the Little Guy, Tyrion from Game of Thrones, I like him.
Agreed. Grew up in the 90's, and I found it very interesting. One of the more humorous takes was how she carried a video camera around everywhere and nobody seemed to care that they were being filmed, as it wasn't getting posted/shared anywhere. Now with smartphones and the internet, your shenanigans are immediately posted everywhere.

Good documentary on Netflix called My Octopus Teacher. This guy is having some real stress/emotional issues in his life and starts swimming underwater off the South African coast, where he lives. He starts to see the same octopus every day, follows it and actually befriends it. Goes on for almost a year. Little goofy at times, but certainly held my interest.

Good documentary on Netflix called My Octopus Teacher. This guy is having some real stress/emotional issues in his life and starts swimming underwater off the South African coast, where he lives. He starts to see the same octopus every day, follows it and actually befriends it. Goes on for almost a year. Little goofy at times, but certainly held my interest.

Sounds fun - anything that doesn't involved bazarro people murdering others is always welcomed!

That place is replete with sharks, so glad he found a friendly fish to bond with.

Sounds fun - anything that doesn't involved bazarro people murdering others is always welcomed!

That place is replete with sharks, so glad he found a friendly fish to bond with.
I won't give it away, but there is a couple of intense scenes involving sharks. They are always on the prey. Cinematography is very good.

Watched Ronnie Coleman The King on Netflix. 8 time Mr Olympia and it came at a cost. His body is really, really beat up. Such a humble, nice guy. Worthwhile to view.

Ran across an older documentary - available free on YouTube -
"This Movie Is Not Yet Rated..."

It's about the MPAA movie rating system. goes into how movie ratings are issued. Definitely has a point of view - criticizing the system for being arbitrary on how some movies get an R or an NC-17 and other movies get less restrictive ratings. Apparently they don't like sexual content - that is much more likely to get the NC-17 as opposed to gore or violence.

The other big point is that the people on the board who actually watch movies and issue the ratings are kept secret - their identities are not disclosed and they all sign non-disclosure agreements so that they can't talk about it when they leave the board. So the director of the documentary actually hired private investigators to try and find out who these people are.

If you have 90 minutes to kill, worth watching if you're a movie buff.

Top Bottom