All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

This looks pretty funny - language NSFW:

Go Gophers!!

Trailer of an upcoming 7.5 hour documentary on OJ by ESPN/30 for 30:

Go Gophers!!

Just completed the 5 part series. Really liked it. I remember so much of it like it was yesterday, but I appreciated the deep background info. with O.J. and L.A.. If you have an extra 7-8 hours I recommend it.

Just completed the 5 part series. Really liked it. I remember so much of it like it was yesterday, but I appreciated the deep background info. with O.J. and L.A.. If you have an extra 7-8 hours I recommend it.

Finished it recently as well. I had forgotten what a circus and joke the trial was.

Interesting series on Netflix called "Last Chance U". Follows the East Mississippi CC football team.

Suicide Squad was... awful. I thought BvS and Man of Steel were both infinitely better and that's not saying much. I'm starting to wonder if DCEU will ever figure it out. Wonder Woman looks like it has a chance, but after the first 3 movies I won't hold my breath.

Meanwhile, I bet Marvel turns what looks like a snooze fest with Doctor Strange into a great movie. They already did it with Ant Man.

It's a bummer that DC can't make good movies with some great super heroes to work with.

I caught "Star Trek: Beyond" last week. OK if you're a Star Trek fan. I'm not 100% sold on the whole reboot - new timeline that JJ Abrams created.

My biggest gripe with the movie - some of the action scenes are shot in close-up with "shaky cam" to the point where you literally cannot tell who is doing what to whom. All you see is people moving (with low lighting to boot).

I think it's another case where summer movies think they have to have more spectacle - more explosions - more action, etc. Just tell a good story, with interesting characters, and people will watch.

One more thing - this is the 1st time I have encountered the following situation. This was at an 8-screen complex in Mankato, MN. when I paid for my ticket, they had a little computer screen, and I had to push a button on the screen to choose where I wanted to sit, and then they print out the ticket with the seat number on it. I asked the guy at the counter - "what, I can't just walk in and decide where I want to sit?" and he said no, I had to choose my seat in advance. To which I replied - "what is happening to this country?" (with tongue firmly in cheek). Although, I must say, it was one of these new fancy theaters with wider aisles and big recliners with footrests. Also paid $7.25 for their "bargain matinee" rate. there are times when I really do miss the good old days.

I caught "Star Trek: Beyond" last week. OK if you're a Star Trek fan. I'm not 100% sold on the whole reboot - new timeline that JJ Abrams created.

My biggest gripe with the movie - some of the action scenes are shot in close-up with "shaky cam" to the point where you literally cannot tell who is doing what to whom. All you see is people moving (with low lighting to boot).

I think it's another case where summer movies think they have to have more spectacle - more explosions - more action, etc. Just tell a good story, with interesting characters, and people will watch.

One more thing - this is the 1st time I have encountered the following situation. This was at an 8-screen complex in Mankato, MN. when I paid for my ticket, they had a little computer screen, and I had to push a button on the screen to choose where I wanted to sit, and then they print out the ticket with the seat number on it. I asked the guy at the counter - "what, I can't just walk in and decide where I want to sit?" and he said no, I had to choose my seat in advance. To which I replied - "what is happening to this country?" (with tongue firmly in cheek). Although, I must say, it was one of these new fancy theaters with wider aisles and big recliners with footrests. Also paid $7.25 for their "bargain matinee" rate. there are times when I really do miss the good old days.

I am also not a fan of all the reserved seating theaters popping up. It's fine for niche "luxury" theaters. I actually really like the reserved seating in certain cases. But now so many theaters do it and it's turning into a requirement to buy tickets days in advance (and pay the online service fee) of newer movies in order to get get good seats. I'd much rather show up 20 minutes early and just pick a seat. I guess I wouldn't have a problem with it if you weren't up charged for buying online, but that is exactly why theaters are moving to reserved seating. So they can make more money off service charges.

On another note, I've also noticed more and more people bringing their chatty children to the theater. There was a kid in Captain America: Civil War a few months ago that talked for 45 minutes before he got kicked out. Drives me nuts. As much as I hated Suicide Squad, at least it was a good theatrical experience with no background noise. And I will never go see an animated movie in theaters again because of the talking.

The Secret Life of Pets was just a nightmare to sit through. I even saw The VVitch whenever it came out and there were teenagers making noise the whole time. So it covers all genres. I don't remember being bothered by this up until very recently.

I've seen plenty of adult and children's movies in theaters, and it must have only started happening regularly in the last couple years. When did it become okay to talk in the theater, and why don't parents teach their children how to behave in certain environments? Okay end rant.

Very rarely go to the theater anymore. It's expensive, crowded with inconsiderate people, noisy with all the popcorn/candy bags, etc. Just not a good experience anymore unless you can go during the day on a weekday. Redbox and netflix are cheap, good beer in my fridge and popcorn is a lot cheaper too. I can pause the movie if I have to get a refill or go to the bathroom, and the best part is there are no distractions.

I posted this trailer to Gleason documentary a few months ago. It's currently in theaters now and I went and saw it today at Lagoon in Uptown. It is incredible. I don't hesitate to call it the best documentary I've ever seen. There are 3-4 scenes that are just so incredibly raw, sad, emotional, etc. I had tears running down my face throughout and people sat in silence for minutes after, trying to absorb it all. ALS is such a horrific disease and this documentary does an incredible job of showing the impact. While the premise for the documentary is for Steve Gleason to have a video for his son, it's so much more, it's about Steve's relationship with his own Dad, with his wife, certainly with his son and the ways in which he deals with ALS. It's also about a football hero and the impact he had on the Saints and New Orleans' rebirth after Katrina. I can't recommend it enough.

Go Team Gleason!!

Just watched The Stanford Prison Experiment. Pretty interesting just how fast people change.

Found it by accident on Netflix on Wed and finished it yesterday. Great series.

Dan Patrick had this interview a few days ago regarding this show. If you get DirecTv, the Dan Patrick Show is worth recording on your DVR. It's on channel 334 at 8:00 am

I posted this trailer to Gleason documentary a few months ago. It's currently in theaters now and I went and saw it today at Lagoon in Uptown. It is incredible. I don't hesitate to call it the best documentary I've ever seen. There are 3-4 scenes that are just so incredibly raw, sad, emotional, etc. I had tears running down my face throughout and people sat in silence for minutes after, trying to absorb it all. ALS is such a horrific disease and this documentary does an incredible job of showing the impact. While the premise for the documentary is for Steve Gleason to have a video for his son, it's so much more, it's about Steve's relationship with his own Dad, with his wife, certainly with his son and the ways in which he deals with ALS. It's also about a football hero and the impact he had on the Saints and New Orleans' rebirth after Katrina. I can't recommend it enough.

Go Team Gleason!!

+1.

The amazing BBC documentary series Planet Earth is coming out with Planet Earth 2. A trailer that has gone viral today:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

This looks like a good coming of age movie:

Go Gophers!!

One Of Your Favorite Characters All But Confirmed There’s Going To Be A ‘Wedding Crashers’ Sequel

Blah, blah blah, the sequel is never as good as the original. Yeah, I know, but when it comes to originals, very few movies ever compare to Wedding Crashers. It’s probably the most quoted film of our generation. Admit it, you had “Rule No. 76: No excuses, play like a champion,” in your original Facebook profile under “Favorite Quotes.”

And now there may be even more quotes to add to your arsenal by way of a sequel to Wedding Crashers, per Gloria. Or, well, the actress who played her, Isla Fisher.

Via Vulture:

Fisher revealed the news to the fine folks on Today, explaining: “I bumped into Vince Vaughn at a party and he said that apparently we’re going to be making a sequel. So I’m really excited to see what’s happened to Gloria.”

Fisher added that she isn’t sure if Wedding Crashers 2 is a “done deal,” but no matter.

Uhhhhhhh, yeah, sign me up. I’m crossing my fingers that this will pan out to be more D2 than Dumb & Dumberer, but there are no guarantees when it comes to Hollywood blockbuster sequels. But as long as there’s another “Shout” montage that I can watch before every wedding I go to on YouTube for years to come, I’ll be good.

http://postgradproblems.com/one-of-...theres-going-to-be-a-wedding-crashers-sequel/

Go Gophers!!

One of the things like about the Oscar nominations being announced is seeing a new slate of highly acclaimed documentaries. I just looked at the trailers for this years nominees, 2-3 of them look really interesting:

NOMINEES

FIRE AT SEA
Gianfranco Rosi and Donatella Palermo

I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO
Raoul Peck, Rémi Grellety and Hébert Peck

LIFE, ANIMATED
Roger Ross Williams and Julie Goldman

O.J.: MADE IN AMERICA
Ezra Edelman and Caroline Waterlow

13TH
Ava DuVernay, Spencer Averick and Howard Barish

Go Gophers!!

One of the things like about the Oscar nominations being announced is seeing a new slate of highly acclaimed documentaries. I just looked at the trailers for this years nominees, 2-3 of them look really interesting:

NOMINEES

FIRE AT SEA
Gianfranco Rosi and Donatella Palermo

I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO
Raoul Peck, Rémi Grellety and Hébert Peck

LIFE, ANIMATED
Roger Ross Williams and Julie Goldman

O.J.: MADE IN AMERICA
Ezra Edelman and Caroline Waterlow

13TH
Ava DuVernay, Spencer Averick and Howard Barish

Go Gophers!!

I tried to see 13 when it was at the film society but couldn't get there. Anyone see it?

Just another plug for the documentary "Gleason." It's now on Netflix - I can't recommend it it enough. It is the best documentary I've ever seen.

Go Team Gleason!!

Haven't read the whole thread but here are a few that I've watched recently on Netflix.

1). The Last Man on the Moon - simply outstanding, a must see documentary. 5 stars.

2). The Salvation - an above average western vengeance movie. The beginning is harsh and hard to get through but the reward for perseverance is brutal justice in the end. 4 stars.

3). Magnus - is an excellent chess documentary of the current world chess champ. 5 stars. Google his name (Magnus Carlson) and watch on YouTube as he destroys chess hustlers in a NYC park.

Quite the departure for Vince Vaughn:

Go Gophers!!

Well, we have Blade Runner 2049 hitting theaters next month. This is the very long awaited sequel to 1982's Blade Runner. If you are a sci-fi fan and have not seen it, you need to. I recently got the 4K HDR version of the original, wow. The special effects for that time period were superb. Here is the trailer for the original:

Well, we have Blade Runner 2049 hitting theaters next month. This is the very long awaited sequel to 1982's Blade Runner. If you are a sci-fi fan and have not seen it, you need to. I recently got the 4K HDR version of the original, wow. The special effects for that time period were superb. Here is the trailer for the original:

Best Sci-Fi movie of all-time. Much better than the book.

Good special effects start with a commitment to cinematography and hinges on not trying to do too much or exceed your capabilities. That was true of 2001, Close Encounters, Star Wars and Blade Runner. The effects in Blade Runner look real, while most of the CGI in modern movies looks fakey.

Top Bottom