All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

If you have DirecTv, this documentary is showing frequently on channel 239. Pretty amazing, recommend you set it to record on your DVR:

http://www.newmanmovie.com/

Now hear this...
As I post this, I am working on a project in my garage to develop a very similar concept which will unquestionably change the world as we know it. You may think "why waste your time chasing such far-fetched ideas that will only put you in the crosshairs of malevolent powers that be?". Perhaps, but there is a reason for what I do and likely there isn't anyone on the board that can understand the reason. You won't, and that is OK. Maybe I will explain it some day, but it will be pointless to this crowd. It is the same reason that a common man like me has done so many uncommon things and continues to do so. I have been empowered in ways that no one on this board can understand...
That is all.

Ken Burns Doc on Vietnam showing on PBS is superb! Haunting to actually hear stuff from the white house in phone conversations and their diaries and how different that was then the crap they were telling the American people.

I recently watched the movie Get Out, it was quite good and one of the better horror/comedies of late.
Netflix's Ozark with Jason Bateman was quite good and dark.

If you haven't seen 'Hell or High Water'.......see it. Best movie in the past couple of years

If you haven't seen 'Hell or High Water'.......see it. Best movie in the past couple of years

I've heard many others say the same, but I did not enjoy it at all.

Blade Runner is absolutely the best "must see in the theater" movie I've seen in maybe a decade. Great across the board, character, story, look/feel, effects, sound.

Blade Runner is absolutely the best "must see in the theater" movie I've seen in maybe a decade. Great across the board, character, story, look/feel, effects, sound.

I was going to post something about Blade Runner today.

I 100% agree. Absolutely great. I was actually worried about my favorite Sci-Fi movie being tarnished by a inferior squeal (much like most of the Star Wars movies). Not a Jared Leto guy at all, but even he didn't ruin any of it. The cinematography was the greatest in film history IMO. The musical score was haunting. The product placement was genius. The girls were hot as hell. This was exactly what I wanted. I'm going to give the 3D a try with this soon.

Care to name some other best "must see in the theater" movies?

Who'd have guessed that deuce would dislike a movie about people going to extreme measures to counteract corporate/bank greed......and likes a movie about a totalitarian dystopia.

Who'd have guessed that deuce would dislike a movie about people going to extreme measures to counteract corporate/bank greed......and likes a movie about a totalitarian dystopia.

are you saying I like totalitarian dystopias? I didn't have a problem with the premise of hell or high water, I just didn't think it was very interesting or very well acted. It's a bank robber movie.

to Jimmy
John Wick 2
Gravity
Mad Max
Inception
Interstellar
off the top of my head
I hate superhero movies.

Blade Runner is better than them all IMO. I don't like Jared Leto, but he didn't bug too much, small role. The Harrison Ford part was perfect. Gosling is the best actor around right now for me. La La Land was exceptional as well.

I didn't see the original until about 5 years ago, so I didnt' have any nostalgia for it and I thought it was good not great, so I had no expectations. Wow. FYI to tiki, I saw it in 3D, obviously can't compare to what you saw, but it definitely added to my enjoyment. Best 3D movie in terms of 3D aspect for me is clearly Avatar, and this was right up there.

are you saying I like totalitarian dystopias? I didn't have a problem with the premise of hell or high water, I just didn't think it was very interesting or very well acted. It's a bank robber movie.

to Jimmy
John Wick 2
Gravity
Mad Max
Inception
Interstellar

I hate superhero movies.

Blade Runner is better than them all IMO. I don't like Jared Leto, but he didn't bug too much, small role. The Harrison Ford part was perfect. Gosling is the best actor around right now for me. La La Land was exceptional as well.

I didn't see the original until about 5 years ago, so I didnt' have any nostalgia for it and I thought it was good not great, so I had no expectations. Wow. FYI to tiki, I saw it in 3D, obviously can't compare to what you saw, but it definitely added to my enjoyment. Best 3D movie in terms of 3D aspect for me is clearly Avatar, and this was right up there.

More of the statement about the disturbing thought of a totalitarian dystopia. Not saying that isn't a horrifying thought......but you clearly have have issues with most forms of government control.

Agreed about Gosling. Super talented dude. And I need to see John Wick 2. The first one was great. Funny......I just got done watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

More of the statement about the disturbing thought of a totalitarian dystopia. Not saying that isn't a horrifying thought......but you clearly have have issues with most forms of government control.

Agreed about Gosling. Super talented dude. And I need to see John Wick 2. The first one was great. Funny......I just got done watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

there are good totalitarian dystopias (1984, Blade Runner, V for Vendetta) and bad ones (Elysium, Divergent)

good bank robber movies as well. and there are good "corporate greed" movies too.

A lot of times, even though the idea the director is trying to get across is clear, I can enjoy the movie for entirely other reasons. V for Vendetta for example, obvious right wing gov't, obvious fox news type host, I had an entirely different takeaway and loved it.

And some times they are just so ham handed with their message, they forget to try to make a good movie or don't care.

Should have seen Wick 2 in the theater, or at least in a good home theater.

FYI to tiki, I saw it in 3D, obviously can't compare to what you saw, but it definitely added to my enjoyment. Best 3D movie in terms of 3D aspect for me is clearly Avatar, and this was right up there.

Cool-thanks. I've poo-poo'd 3D movies in the past, so I am excited to see one with a movie I love.

Are you (or anyone) at all excited for Ready Player One? Comes out in March. I just finished the book. Any 80's kids will like the book for sure...at least I think you would.

to Jimmy
John Wick 2
Gravity
Mad Max
Inception
Interstellar
off the top of my head
I hate superhero movies.

Thanks! I don't see many movies these days, unless its a disney movie. I thought the new beauty and the beast was well done. :)

Had no interest in Wick, but will eventually give in.
Would love to see Mad Max. Big Hardy fan.
Inception was awesome, with a fitting ending.
Interstellar was great too, but I might be too simple minded to appreciate the 12th dimension that MM was stuck in. But gotta love Nolan for his creativity. No way that movie gets made without his past success.

My guess is you might be a bit of a Nolan fan. I loved Dark Knight, especially in IMAX at the zoo. I dont think I blinked the first time I saw it. Loved Batman Begins too. Third could have been good, but ended up being too conventional, along with some plot sloppiness. Not a superhero fan, but definitley a Nolan fan. Momento was great too, looking forward to seeing Dunkirk

Cool-thanks. I've poo-poo'd 3D movies in the past, so I am excited to see one with a movie I love.

Are you (or anyone) at all excited for Ready Player One? Comes out in March. I just finished the book. Any 80's kids will like the book for sure...at least I think you would.

Yes. Trailer looked pretty cool. I know nothing about it and will probably keep it that way.

Thanks! I don't see many movies these days, unless its a disney movie. I thought the new beauty and the beast was well done. :)

Had no interest in Wick, but will eventually give in.
Would love to see Mad Max. Big Hardy fan.
Inception was awesome, with a fitting ending.
Interstellar was great too, but I might be too simple minded to appreciate the 12th dimension that MM was stuck in. But gotta love Nolan for his creativity. No way that movie gets made without his past success.

My guess is you might be a bit of a Nolan fan. I loved Dark Knight, especially in IMAX at the zoo. I dont think I blinked the first time I saw it. Loved Batman Begins too. Third could have been good, but ended up being too conventional, along with some plot sloppiness. Not a superhero fan, but definitley a Nolan fan. Momento was great too, looking forward to seeing Dunkirk

Yes, definitely like Nolan. Definitely HATED beauty and the beast, awful awful awful. Disney has turned to crap, and seems like PIXAR has as well.

I like thought provoking, interesting movies without much of an agenda besides telling a great story, and I hate remakes.

I read 'Ready Player One'. Cool concept.....but overly dorky. The author tried way to hard to fit as many 80's references as possible in. Could have toned it down a little bit.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I read 'Ready Player One'. Cool concept.....but overly dorky. The author tried way to hard to fit as many 80's references as possible in. Could have toned it down a little bit.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Almost like he got to a point where he realized it and then thought ***K it and went all out. Very dorky for sure, but I enjoyed the trivia/memories part to it. The hardest part for me was the fact that I sucked at video games.

Almost like he got to a point where he realized it and then thought ***K it and went all out. Very dorky for sure, but I enjoyed the trivia/memories part to it. The hardest part for me was the fact that I sucked at video games.

Yeah....otherwise it was a pretty good book and should translate well to film. But they'll need to tone down the references as I have a feeling that the audience for this movie is going to trend towards a younger crowd and the book was awfully corny. I highly doubt that I'll see it in theaters, but I'll catch it when it hits a movie channel. I wonder if Cline's Delorean will find its way into the movie.

Just saw the trailer for Ready Player One. Great cast and Spielberg directing. Not sure if the Spielberg angle is a good thing or not. It could out as poorly as poorly as the last Indiana Jones movie if they are not careful. And honestly......the trailer made it look extremely hokey.

Started watching Mind Hunter. First episode was so/so the next few have been really good.

Mind Hunter might be my favorite Netflix produced tv show. Having David Fincher directing, and Jonathan Douglas (FBI profiler) assisting cannot hurt!

I may go see Justice League. That Wonder Woman is HOT!

Just watched Bright, a new Netflix movie starring Will Smith. Typical Will Smith acting, quick with the quips, etc. All in all, it was enjoyable. Recommend it.

Got around to watching 'IT' this weekend. I was not disappointed. I typically am not a horror movie fan.....but this was just an all around excellent movie. Surprisingly very touching.....and the kid actors as well as Bill Skarsgard (Pennywise) were GREAT. It is much more in the vein of a 'Stand By Me' or "The Goonies' than a killer clown movie (and I don't mean Killer Clowns From Outer Space). I highly recommend it if you are on the fence. One of the best newer movies that I've seen in a while. I have a tough time thinking that the sequel will live up to this one......if it is actually "Chapter One". The grown up story line won't be nearly compelling......but I'll definitely see it after this.

Fun fact: Pennywise returns every 27 years according to the book. It was 27 years in between the original mini-series and the movie version. Nice touch.

The mini-series terrified me as a child. Forced myself to watch the entire thing at a certain point. Turned out that after the first hour or so.....it was mostly stupid......with the ending being a complete joke. Featured the late John Ritter and a young Seth Green. Tim Curry still creeps me out to this day.

Got around to watching 'IT' this weekend. I was not disappointed. I typically am not a horror movie fan.....but this was just an all around excellent movie. Surprisingly very touching.....and the kid actors as well as Bill Skarsgard (Pennywise) were GREAT. It is much more in the vein of a 'Stand By Me' or "The Goonies' than a killer clown movie (and I don't mean Killer Clowns From Outer Space). I highly recommend it if you are on the fence. One of the best newer movies that I've seen in a while. I have a tough time thinking that the sequel will live up to this one......if it is actually "Chapter One". The grown up story line won't be nearly compelling......but I'll definitely see it after this.

Fun fact: Pennywise returns every 27 years according to the book. It was 27 years in between the original mini-series and the movie version. Nice touch.

The mini-series terrified me as a child. Forced myself to watch the entire thing at a certain point. Turned out that after the first hour or so.....it was mostly stupid......with the ending being a complete joke. Featured the late John Ritter and a young Seth Green. Tim Curry still creeps me out to this day.

Speaking of mini series and not being a horror buff, where are you on Salem's Lot?

Got around to watching 'IT' this weekend. I was not disappointed. I typically am not a horror movie fan.....but this was just an all around excellent movie. Surprisingly very touching.....and the kid actors as well as Bill Skarsgard (Pennywise) were GREAT. It is much more in the vein of a 'Stand By Me' or "The Goonies' than a killer clown movie (and I don't mean Killer Clowns From Outer Space).

Awesome movie. Much more than a B movie.

Mind Hunter might be my favorite Netflix produced tv show. Having David Fincher directing, and Jonathan Douglas (FBI profiler) assisting cannot hurt!

The girlfriend ruins it. Actually their relationship kind of ruins it. The serial killer interviews and interactions are great though.
Stranger things is the gold standard for me on Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom