All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

I saw a Brazilian movie called A Wolf At The Door as the Minneapolis St. Paul Film Fest a week or so ago. It had one of the darkest endings one can imagine. Take Fatal Attraction and put it on PEDs.

Totally disagree. Loved it visually and story wise. Want to see it again.
Hmm...to each his own I guess. Mostly I was just bored. Didn't seem like much thought was put into character or story development. But then, my favorite is The Life Aquatic, so what do I know?

Wes Anderson movies are generally far too quirky for me. However........I do love Rushmore.

Hmm...to each his own I guess. Mostly I was just bored. Didn't seem like much thought was put into character or story development. But then, my favorite is The Life Aquatic, so what do I know?

I loved that as well.

Watched this documentary yesterday- How To Make Money Selling Drugs.

If you believe the war on drugs is a smart war...you will not like this film. If you believe the war on drugs is one of the worst ideas in American history...you will like this film a lot.

Considering all of the Wes Anderson movie talk.....I finally saw 'Moonrise Kingdom' and I really liked it a lot.

Re-watched 'Band of Brothers' again over these past couple of weeks. Incredible mini-series if you have not seen it. If not.....what are you waiting for?

Just watched "Beware of Mr. Baker". Liked it a lot. Ginger Baker is something else.

Over the past month....I've finished the second season of 'The Wire' (fantastic show) and the third season of 'The Sopranos' (fantastic show).

Currently watching the pilot episode of the X-Files. Awesome.

We saw our first movie in the theater in a while this past weekend - Gone Girl. Both my wife and I had read the book prior to the movie and as is often the case, we found it better than the movie, but the latter was still entertaining. Ben Affleck was strong as usual.

Any other recent movies that folks would recommend?

Go Gophers!!

movie time

I actually like the movie better than the book, a very rare occurance for me. I have seen Fury-Brad Pitt ww2 tank movie gave 8/10 to, gone girl 9/10, guardians of the galaxy 8/10-summer fun movie, and lastly Interstellar 8/10. If you liked Inception or Gravity I imagine you would like Interstellar. Hoping to see Big Hero 6 with my 7 yr old. Also looking to watch Nightcrawler with Jake G., Imitation Game WW2 codebreaker movie, and Exedus: Gods and Kings, and Unbroken-a great book screenplay by Coen brothers.

We saw our first movie in the theater in a while this past weekend - Gone Girl. Both my wife and I had read the book prior to the movie and as is often the case, we found it better than the movie, but the latter was still entertaining. Ben Affleck was strong as usual.

Any other recent movies that folks would recommend?

Go Gophers!!

Just finished The Drop with Tom Hardy. Maybe it's his bland name, but I never want to give him props. After watching this one, I'm sold, he really is a good actor.

Unbroken. Very well done. Talked to people at the theater who read the book and they gave it a thumbs up. The movie is so well written we wouldn't have to see it again. Reason being is the intense
torture applied by the Japanese in the two prison camps. Crowd was very quiet. Quite frankly we saw some people that were very elderly that came out and they were not happy campers. I'm sure it brought back memories of friends and relatives that were affected by the Japanese brutality in World War Two. Applause to Angelina Jolie as the director.

HBO is playing The Wire for anyone interested. Season 1, all episodes was today.

Season 2, all episodes starts tomorrow, Saturday morning.

Season 3, Sunday.... You get the picture.

HBOS, whichever one that is. Starts 9am pacific, 11am central each day looks like.

HBO is playing The Wire for anyone interested. Season 1, all episodes was today.

Season 2, all episodes starts tomorrow, Saturday morning.

Season 3, Sunday.... You get the picture.

HBOS, whichever one that is. Starts 9am pacific, 11am central each day looks like.

Excellent show. If you subscribe to HBO......all episodes can be found On Demand if you have Comcast/Xfinity. If not......they also have a nifty streaming service called HBOGo. Believe it has just about every episode of every show they've ever produced....along with hundreds of movies. I'd suggest a media stick like the Chromecast or the Fire TV which can both be found for under $40. Either one has the HBOGo app.

I love documentaries, so my favorite part of the Oscar nominations is filling up my Netflix queue with the nominated documentaries. Here are this years nominations:

Best Documentary Feature
"CITIZENFOUR"
“Finding Vivian Maier”
"Last Days in Vietnam"
“The Salt in the Earth”
"Virunga”

I just looked at the trailers of these and a few look really good.

Go Gophers!!

Watched St. Vincent starring Bill Murray. Murray does a good job portraying the very flawed Vincent. I liked it. Maybe a 6.5 or 7

Perhaps it's been talked about (I'm not going to trudge through the previous pages), but I just caught "Interstellar" with Mathew McConaughey and Ann Hathaway. It's an intriguing look at astrophysics with a bit of a twist. Matt Damon has a smaller part in the movie that has you rooting against him. The ethical conundrums are intriguing as various people try to justify the means of their actions based upon how their hope for a good ending.

I also liked "Lucy", even though the whole drug kingpin storyline is completely implausible. In Lucy, it's all about exploring existence and its emotional nothingness from a purely materialist/naturalist perspective. It explores the emptiness and meaninglessness of life itself from a godless perspective. As a philosophical movie it has merit. As an action movie, its plot line is about as weak as they come.

Excellent show. If you subscribe to HBO......all episodes can be found On Demand if you have Comcast/Xfinity. If not......they also have a nifty streaming service called HBOGo. Believe it has just about every episode of every show they've ever produced....along with hundreds of movies. I'd suggest a media stick like the Chromecast or the Fire TV which can both be found for under $40. Either one has the HBOGo app.

I just found out The Wire was on Amazon Prime. So that's another option too.

Anyone else see the latest 30 for 30: Of Miracles and Men? This one was from the perspective of the Soviets before, during, and after the Miracle on Ice. I thought it was an interesting perspective and recommend it to those who haven't seen it yet.

Full trailer for Entourage is out. I could do without the Russell Wilson cameo:

Go Sloan McQuewick!!

We saw Woman in Gold this past weekend - very well done movie. Helen Mirren was great as usual and Ryan Reynolds continues his transformation into a diverse actor.

I highly recommend the movie.

Go Gophers!!

I've been watching some Asian action movies and I can highly recommend these:

The John Woo trilogy (these are a bit violent)
Hard Boiled - probably the best action movie I've seen
The Killer - not far behind
A Better tomorrow (started the whole hold 2 guns thing)

Infernal Affairs (the departed was based on this) I like this one better

Jackie Chan (these movies are highly inventive and show him at his best)
Project A 1 & 2
Police Story
Wheals on Meals
Dragons Forever

The man from Nowhere (korean action movie) This is violent but awesome none the less

We saw Woman in Gold this past weekend - very well done movie. Helen Mirren was great as usual and Ryan Reynolds continues his transformation into a diverse actor.

I highly recommend the movie.

Go Gophers!!

Been looking for an opportunity to go and see this with Mrs. Ogee but it hasn't come up yet. Maybe tomorrow for Date Night finally!

Top Bottom