All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

Netflix drops its much anticipated "Our Planet" docu-series today. It was filmed by more than 600 camera people in more than 50 countries over 4 years. The narration is being done by Sir David Attenborough. For those that like the nature documentaries filmed in ultra HD (re: Planet Earth, Blue Planet, etc.), this one looks amazing:

Go Gophers!!

I'm years late to this party, but I finally got around to watching "Contagion." That's a really good film, and the story and performances are haunting. Soderberg is one of the underappreciated directors of our day.

Yeah....Soderberg is pretty brilliant. I'll have to check out Contagion. It's unfortunate that 'The Knick' only got two seasons. Easily one of my favorite television shows of all time.

Netflix drops its much anticipated "Our Planet" docu-series today. It was filmed by more than 600 camera people in more than 50 countries over 4 years. The narration is being done by Sir David Attenborough. For those that like the nature documentaries filmed in ultra HD (re: Planet Earth, Blue Planet, etc.), this one looks amazing:

Go Gophers!!

Pardon my ignorance, but do you need a special subscription to get ultra HD? If no, should it come through in 4K on my 4K smart TV?

Edit: never mind. It looks like an extra $5 a month. Is there enough ultra HD content that makes it worth $60 a year?

Bill Murray stories is a quick, fun watch on Netflix.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PAkp0h4ktf0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I started to watch french serial The Returned on Netflix recently. It's the darkest serial I've ever watched and the cinematography is just awesome. I love French language and French Riviera so much that I've already started to look for a flat for sale on the French Riviera :D

I started to watch french serial The Returned on Netflix recently. It's the darkest serial I've ever watched and the cinematography is just awesome. I love French language and French Riviera so much that I've already started to look for a [

What is a serial?

What is a serial?

It's short for a democratic politician since most of them are serial criminals. Just look at this cat causing trouble in Chicago today > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Rush over jussi sissy. Never heard of him before, but stunning that someone with his criminal history could ever get elected to be dog catcher much less to congress. Democrats are truly the party of division and terror!! Mary Jane Soliah should be about ready to turn up as a DFL candidate soon, huh, or is she still doing time in Shakopee?

It's short for a democratic politician since most of them are serial criminals. Just look at this cat causing trouble in Chicago today > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Rush over jussi sissy. Never heard of him before, but stunning that someone with his criminal history could ever get elected to be dog catcher much less to congress. Democrats are truly the party of division and terror!! Mary Jane Soliah should be about ready to turn up as a DFL candidate soon, huh, or is she still doing time in Shakopee?

Go away you brain damaged dip$hit.

Check out the Mayo Clinic Ken Burns doc on Netflix. Sure, old Ken tries hard to insert some progressive ideology. But the history of the clinic will be important learning for progressives and flies in the face of everything they think about health care absent government control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started watching Formula 1: Drive to Survive on Netflix. They are covering the 2018 season. 10 episodes and I'm on the 4th. So far very entertaining.

I know this thread tends to focus more on documentaries and streaming services - but I am more of a mainstream movie guy - especially the big superhero movies. (hey, I like what I like)

with that in mind, I have to admit that I was not blown away by Avengers: Endgame.

As a piece of entertainment, it was OK, but I did not think it was one of the better Marvel movies. Maybe I expected too much.

Without getting into spoilers, I felt the plotting was a little too obvious. It was like the writers had the different story elements they wanted to use, but instead of flowing from one story-line into the next, I felt you could "see" the various elements being assembled and put together. "ok, this has to go here, and that one has to go there." It seemed 'constructed' to me in a way that Infinity War did not.

if you just want a spectacle, and like the Marvel characters, you'll probably enjoy the movie. A lot of people and critics certainly did. But, in a big superhero or sci-fi movie, that suspension of disbelief is really important. you want to get lost in that world. instead, I was analyzing it.

All reviews/reactions are personal - but for me, as I said, the seams on this one seemed to be showing. maybe I just was in a bad mood that day. dunno.

I'm looking forward to seeing John Wick 3. The first two were really good.

And I'm even more looking forward to Bill and Ted Face the Music. I like Keanu Reeves as an actor, but it helps to know that he's also known as one of the best and nicest people in hollywood. I wonder if he really wanted to make this movie though. He really could have done it whenever if he had wanted.....considering they have the original writers back. I'm sure Alex Winter appreciates it regardless.

And I'm even more looking forward to Bill and Ted Face the Music. I like Keanu Reeves as an actor, but it helps to know that he's also known as one of the best and nicest people in hollywood. I wonder if he really wanted to make this movie though. He really could have done it whenever if he had wanted.....considering they have the original writers back. I'm sure Alex Winter appreciates it regardless.

+1.

I saw John Wick 3 over the weekend when I was out of town. It was pretty good, but I maybe expected a LITTLE better from the reviews. It's definitely a different story line. I would recommend it, but maybe not glowingly.

I saw "The Long Shot" with Seth Rogan and Charlize Theron a week ago or so, it had good reviews and there just hasn't been anything out most of the spring. What a liberal train wreck disaster. You could figure out 12 seconds in when the opening scene is Rogan infiltrating a "white pride" nazi group as an undercover reporter. All the Neo-nazi skinhead stereotypes in full display. To top that off, the current sitting Prez is an older white buffoon played by the lead in What About Saul; Theron is the promising female Secretary of State who desperately wants to be the first female Prez. You could predict 15 minutes in what the sequence of events was going to be.

Only Seth Rogan could put together a film where someone like Rogan could end up with someone as hot as Theron. smh

I saw John Wick 3 over the weekend when I was out of town. It was pretty good, but I maybe expected a LITTLE better from the reviews. It's definitely a different story line. I would recommend it, but maybe not glowingly.

I saw "The Long Shot" with Seth Rogan and Charlize Theron a week ago or so, it had good reviews and there just hasn't been anything out most of the spring. What a liberal train wreck disaster. You could figure out 12 seconds in when the opening scene is Rogan infiltrating a "white pride" nazi group as an undercover reporter. All the Neo-nazi skinhead stereotypes in full display. To top that off, the current sitting Prez is an older white buffoon played by the lead in What About Saul; Theron is the promising female Secretary of State who desperately wants to be the first female Prez. You could predict 15 minutes in what the sequence of events was going to be.

Only Seth Rogan could put together a film where someone like Rogan could end up with someone as hot as Theron. smh

Had the same reaction to Wick, good not great.

I could have predicted the Long Shot and I won't see it. "Poor 2 can't go see movies".

watched the new trailer for Quentin Tarentino's upcoming movie, "Once Upon a Time.... In Hollywood."

This looks really fun. From what I can tell from the trailer, the story follows a down-on-his-luck actor (Leo DiCaprio) and his buddy and stunt double (Brad Pitt) as they interact with various real-life and fictional characters in 1969 Hollywood. then, the Brad Pitt character meets a young girl who takes him to the Spahn Movie Ranch to meet her friend, Charlie.

yes - it's about the Manson Family. And Brad Pitt's character has a next-door neighbor named Sharon Tate. Tarantino doing his take on Manson. This could be epic.

Helter Skelter. (still one of the greatest true-crime books of all time)

Had the same reaction to Wick, good not great.

I could have predicted the Long Shot and I won't see it. "Poor 2 can't go see movies".

I actually don't blame you for avoiding Long Shot. I could see a political smear against the right all over this one. I'm not going to see it because I'm simply not interested in another cookie cutter comedy. It really doesn't look good imo.

Last edited:

I actually don't blame you for avoiding Long Shot. I could see a political smear against the right all over this one. I'm not going to see it because I'm simply not interested in another cookie cutter comedy. It really doesn't look good imo.

Even without the political slant, it was a really poor effort. I'm no prude by any means but the f-bomb was dropped like 100 times and the scene with Rogen masturbating and spooging on his own beard was pretty bad. Hard to believe Theron would jump into a venture like this one.

Even without the political slant, it was a really poor effort. I'm no prude by any means but the f-bomb was dropped like 100 times and the scene with Rogen masturbating and spooging on his own beard was pretty bad. Hard to believe Theron would jump into a venture like this one.

Yeah.....that sounds bad. I'll probably skip it when it hits the premium channels too.

I just finished watching Beautiful Boy...a heavy movie, but very well done:

Go Gophers!!

I just watched the new Top Gun trailer and put me on the list of excited to see it in 2020.

If you want a laugh - catch the Red-band trailer for "Jay and Silent Bob Reboot."

that kind of humor is an acquired taste, but I would watch that as opposed to another cookie-cutter Will Farrell vehicle. That's the thing about comedy - it's very subjective.

If you want a laugh - catch the Red-band trailer for "Jay and Silent Bob Reboot."

that kind of humor is an acquired taste, but I would watch that as opposed to another cookie-cutter Will Farrell vehicle. That's the thing about comedy - it's very subjective.

Holy $hit! I wasn't even aware that this was happening. Given....I was only eleven when "strike back" came out.....and I LOVED (still really like) that movie......but I was horribly disappointed with Clerks 2.

Dogma remains as one of my top ten/five movies of all time. It's brilliant all around. I do not get excited for many movies. Count me all in for this one. Thanks for the heads up, SON.

I feel like I really need to see this movie

Last edited:

Kevin Smith sucks.

I watched the Nick Buonoconti documentary flying back from Europe and then saw that he just passed away earlier this week. He led a pretty interesting life following his HOF career with the Dolphins. His youngest son was paralyzed playing football and raised a ton of money for spinal cord research.

New Tarantino movie is outstanding.

Chappelle Netflix special is hilarious.

Top Bottom