All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

I've seen Hostiles & Unsane in the past week. Hostiles was very good, but I'm a sucker for a Western. I'm still trying to figure out if I liked Unsane. I didn't leave, but I wouldn't see it again.

Starting to dive into Wild Wild Country on Netflix. It's a documentary about the Rajneeshpuram commune in Oregon in the 80s. I'm only halfway through the first episode and am hooked, and I have a feeling (and have heard) that it gets really really crazy. Looking forward to plowing through it.

That looks like it could be interesting.

flint town is a pretty good doc. like most documentaries, i think it told a very specific story and not the whole story. but it is worth the watch

shows

Wild Wild Country documentary on netflix is great! An Indian guru and his thousands of followers move near a small town in Oregon and lots of scandals ensue!

I am also really liking Babylon Berlin, a German police detective tv series on netflix that takes place between WW1 and WW2. Seeing a dark show produced in Germany in refreshing as its not about Nazi's.

First episode of Dirty Money Tv series involving the cheating by Volkswagen was quite good too.

I've seen Hostiles & Unsane in the past week. Hostiles was very good, but I'm a sucker for a Western. I'm still trying to figure out if I liked Unsane. I didn't leave, but I wouldn't see it again.

Those are two that I was looking at. Pretty sure I'll see Hostiles, not sure about Unsane. Unsane surprisingly got really good reviews, but that may not be enough to swing the needle for me.

I may take a look at Hostiles though

I just finished the Andre the Giant documentary - very well done. He was such a fascinating figure, who led a really challenging life in spite of the fame and fortune that came his way.

Go Verne Gagne!!

Just finished a really old documentary on Mike Tyson. Tyson (2008, directed by James Toback)
Fascinating.

Saw '3 billboards outside of Ebbing, Mo' last night at the second run theater with my 15 y/o. It was fantastic. Much better than I expected it to be. The ending pissed me (and everyone else) off, but in a weird way, I guess it puts us into the shoes of Frances McDormand.

I really enjoyed the most recent season of 'Hunting Hitler'. I'm wondering what others think in lieu of the show? It seems clear Hitler could have escaped to South America, as many of his higher-ups did. The Nazis started camps & scientific research facilities in Argentina, Paraguay, Chile, et al. The million dollar question is did Hitler, in his failing health make it there? Thoughts, opinions?

Watched "A Quiet Place". I just do not get the hype. I just saw RT 95% and said let's go. Not particularly scary. About as good as "Signs". Definitely not a theater movie.

Has anybody talked about the Elvis doc on HBO? Just caught both parts the other night, and it's engrossing. Very ambitious and artistic style of documentary film making. Priscilla contributes narration throughout the film, which I think was the core of its authenticity.

Has anybody talked about the Elvis doc on HBO? Just caught both parts the other night, and it's engrossing. Very ambitious and artistic style of documentary film making. Priscilla contributes narration throughout the film, which I think was the core of its authenticity.

It is hard for me to watch anything Elvis related knowing he chose Priscilla over Ann-Margret.

It is hard for me to watch anything Elvis related knowing he chose Priscilla over Ann-Margret.

I only know 'old' Ann Margret. Priscilla old >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ann Margret old.

Regardless of your politics, I highly recommend Chappaquiddick. The actor playing Ted is one of the best performances I've seen in a long time. If you hate dramas and generally only like action flicks, you'll probably find it too slow.

Saw '3 billboards outside of Ebbing, Mo' last night at the second run theater with my 15 y/o. It was fantastic. Much better than I expected it to be. The ending pissed me (and everyone else) off, but in a weird way, I guess it puts us into the shoes of Frances McDormand.

We saw it last night, and agreed that the ending pissed us off. But the movie was very well done, the acting was great.

Go Gophers!!

Regardless of your politics, I highly recommend Chappaquiddick. The actor playing Ted is one of the best performances I've seen in a long time. If you hate dramas and generally only like action flicks, you'll probably find it too slow.

I read an interview with the director. Politically he's a lefty, but on this project he's politically agnostic. He needed to tell a story that he doesn't think has been told very well up to this point. Regardless of how it makes Ted or the Kennedy's look, he wanted it to be honest and accurate.

The five-part "Being Serena" documentary on HBO begins tonight:

Go Serena!!

While not a movie or documentary......a miniseries, The Terror on AMC, based on a book by Dan Simmons, has blown me away thus far. Simmons and Frank Herbert are my two favorite authors. I read the book a couple years ago and it was VERY good.

Now we just need an adaptation of Hyperion and Carrion Comfort. It sounds like Syfy is working on Hyperion, which Bradley Cooper has been trying to get made for several years now. We'll see how it turns out......because if you have read the book....this is going to be a very ambitious project that will demand a much larger budget than anything that Syfy have taken on. Probably would have been more comfortable with AMC or HBO leading the way.....but Syfy has stepped up from strictly joke movies (which I do find entertaining). Channel Zero, for example, has been great.

And while it's a pipe dream......I've got my fingers crossed that someday......HBO will make a proper series for Dune.

I agree about The Terror. We’ve loved it so far.

AMC continues to put out great stuff. I just finished the series last night. It would be a complete joke if they don't grab at least a couple Emmys come award season.

Do we have a TV thread? Anyways....Silicon Valley is always really good. But the new show, Barry, created and staring Bill Hader is great. You might need to slog through a few somewhat boring episodes, but it pays off. Tonight's episode was incredibly good. I'm now more excited for the season finale of Barry than I am for Silicon Valley. And Silicon Valley has been the highlight of my Sunday night when it's in season.

Do we have a TV thread? Anyways....Silicon Valley is always really good. But the new show, Barry, created and staring Bill Hader is great. You might need to slog through a few somewhat boring episodes, but it pays off. Tonight's episode was incredibly good. I'm now more excited for the season finale of Barry than I am for Silicon Valley. And Silicon Valley has been the highlight of my Sunday night when it's in season.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?34836-All-Things-TV-Series-Recommendations-Reviews

Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter Reteaming for 'Bill & Ted 3'

'Bill & Ted Face the Music,' which is being shopped in Cannes, is actually happening, some 29 years after the duo's first excellent adventure.
It's official: Wyld Stallyns are reforming.

Following 1989's Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and 1991's Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, The Hollywood Reporter can reveal that a much-discussed third Bill & Ted installment — Bill & Ted Face the Music — is now firmly in the works some 27 years later. Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter are set to reprise their iconic roles as time-traveling metalheads Ted "Theodore" Logan and Bill S. Preston Esq., respectively.

Original creators Chris Matheson (Imagine That) and Ed Solomon (Men in Black, Mosaic, Now You See Me) have penned the script, with Dean Parisot (Galaxy Quest, Red 2, Fun With Dick and Jane) confirmed to direct. Scott Kroopf (Limitless) will produce together with Alex Lebovici and Steve Ponce of Hammerstone Studios, with Steven Soderbergh serving as an executive producer alongside Scott Fischer, John Ryan Jr. and John Santilli.

MGM owns the rights to the film and will release it in the U.S. under its Orion Pictures banner. Bloom is handling international sales, which commenced in Cannes, where the project is likely to be one of the buzziest films in the market. Endeavor Content negotiated the deal.

Currently in preproduction, Bill & Ted Face the Music will see the duo long past their days as time-traveling teenagers and now weighed down by middle age and the responsibilities of family. They’ve written thousands of tunes, but they have yet to write a good one, much less the greatest song ever written. With the fabric of time and space tearing around them, a visitor from the future warns our heroes that only their song can save life as we know it. Out of luck and fresh out of inspiration, Bill and Ted set out on a time travel adventure to seek the song that will set their world right and bring harmony in the universe. Together with the aid of their daughters, a new crop of historical figures and some sympathetic music legends, they find much, much more than just a song.

“We couldn't be more excited to get the whole band back together again," Reeves and Winter said in a statement. "Chris and Ed wrote an amazing script, and with Dean at the helm we've got a dream team!"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...eves-alex-winter-reteaming-bill-ted-3-1107419

Go Gophers!!

AMC continues to put out great stuff. I just finished the series last night. It would be a complete joke if they don't grab at least a couple Emmys come award season.

I'm watching live, I like the show, although it's been painfully slow moving in parts. Finally got some good movement this week, interested to see where it goes.

Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter Reteaming for 'Bill & Ted 3'

'Bill & Ted Face the Music,' which is being shopped in Cannes, is actually happening, some 29 years after the duo's first excellent adventure.
It's official: Wyld Stallyns are reforming.

Following 1989's Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and 1991's Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, The Hollywood Reporter can reveal that a much-discussed third Bill & Ted installment — Bill & Ted Face the Music — is now firmly in the works some 27 years later. Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter are set to reprise their iconic roles as time-traveling metalheads Ted "Theodore" Logan and Bill S. Preston Esq., respectively.

Original creators Chris Matheson (Imagine That) and Ed Solomon (Men in Black, Mosaic, Now You See Me) have penned the script, with Dean Parisot (Galaxy Quest, Red 2, Fun With Dick and Jane) confirmed to direct. Scott Kroopf (Limitless) will produce together with Alex Lebovici and Steve Ponce of Hammerstone Studios, with Steven Soderbergh serving as an executive producer alongside Scott Fischer, John Ryan Jr. and John Santilli.

MGM owns the rights to the film and will release it in the U.S. under its Orion Pictures banner. Bloom is handling international sales, which commenced in Cannes, where the project is likely to be one of the buzziest films in the market. Endeavor Content negotiated the deal.

Currently in preproduction, Bill & Ted Face the Music will see the duo long past their days as time-traveling teenagers and now weighed down by middle age and the responsibilities of family. They’ve written thousands of tunes, but they have yet to write a good one, much less the greatest song ever written. With the fabric of time and space tearing around them, a visitor from the future warns our heroes that only their song can save life as we know it. Out of luck and fresh out of inspiration, Bill and Ted set out on a time travel adventure to seek the song that will set their world right and bring harmony in the universe. Together with the aid of their daughters, a new crop of historical figures and some sympathetic music legends, they find much, much more than just a song.

“We couldn't be more excited to get the whole band back together again," Reeves and Winter said in a statement. "Chris and Ed wrote an amazing script, and with Dean at the helm we've got a dream team!"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...eves-alex-winter-reteaming-bill-ted-3-1107419

Go Gophers!!

I love this. Honestly....I'm surprised that Keanu Revees is willing to do it....since he's an A-list actor now. I wouldn't doubt that he's doing it as a favor for Winter. But I'm sure that the screenplay is solid. I don't get to the movies very often.....because there's better stuff on TV these days....but I'd definitely go and see this.

While not a movie or documentary......a miniseries, The Terror on AMC, based on a book by Dan Simmons, has blown me away thus far. Simmons and Frank Herbert are my two favorite authors. I read the book a couple years ago and it was VERY good.

Now we just need an adaptation of Hyperion and Carrion Comfort. It sounds like Syfy is working on Hyperion, which Bradley Cooper has been trying to get made for several years now. We'll see how it turns out......because if you have read the book....this is going to be a very ambitious project that will demand a much larger budget than anything that Syfy have taken on. Probably would have been more comfortable with AMC or HBO leading the way.....but Syfy has stepped up from strictly joke movies (which I do find entertaining). Channel Zero, for example, has been great.

And while it's a pipe dream......I've got my fingers crossed that someday......HBO will make a proper series for Dune.

I've watched the terror & really wanted to get into it, but for me it's just ok. My 15 y/o daughter said "Dad this is just 'Lost', except in the arctic & not as good.".

I love historic stuff, period pieces & adventure. I'm not sure if anyone's seen the Imax film 'Shackleton's Actic Adventure', but that was amazing. Same premise as terror. British sailors trying to find the South pole get trapped in the ice & their ships crushed by shifting ice in the Spring thaw. Then an arduous journey to find safety. I thought terror would focus more on this dynamic.

To be fair I'm not a big sci-fan fan. Overall I like & watch, but don't love 'The Terror'.

I love this. Honestly....I'm surprised that Keanu Revees is willing to do it....since he's an A-list actor now. I wouldn't doubt that he's doing it as a favor for Winter. But I'm sure that the screenplay is solid. I don't get to the movies very often.....because there's better stuff on TV these days....but I'd definitely go and see this.

Is Keanu considered an 'A' list actor? Admittedly I don't follow Hollywood very closely, but it seems like he hasn't done anything notable since the Matrix which is going back probably 15 years now.

Top Bottom