All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

The girlfriend ruins it. Actually their relationship kind of ruins it. The serial killer interviews and interactions are great though.
Stranger things is the gold standard for me on Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd probably love 'IT' in that case.

The girlfriend ruins it. Actually their relationship kind of ruins it. The serial killer interviews and interactions are great though.
Stranger things is the gold standard for me on Netflix.

You can't do the whole show on just the interviews though. You need to show how the interactions with the killers caused his relationships/work to suffer. You need the change.

Watched Rouge One this past weekend. Didn't have any expectations, but turned out to be might favorite Star Wars movie.

You can't do the whole show on just the interviews though. You need to show how the interactions with the killers caused his relationships/work to suffer. You need the change.

I dont' disagree. I just think the relationship was not interesting and the girlfriend was a dumb character and poor actor. One other critique is that some of the local cases they "solved" using their new profiles were kind of weak, and more common sense.

I dont' disagree. I just think the relationship was not interesting and the girlfriend was a dumb character and poor actor. One other critique is that some of the local cases they "solved" using their new profiles were kind of weak, and more common sense.

I see.

I thought the girlfriend was exactly what she needed to be, so I found her believable. She's the cool girl that lots of guys want, but then regret it when things get real so to speak.

I see.

I thought the girlfriend was exactly what she needed to be, so I found her believable. She's the cool girl that lots of guys want, but then regret it when things get real so to speak.

I wanted a LOT more of the big guy with glasses. Obviously they are setting up the BTK as the series arc. The FBI head was a good character. I liked the female doctor. A little too much sex and gratuity, think the show should be a little creepier and darker. Lead guy I'm not sold on either. Sorry to be negative, I just think the show has a ton of potential, it's a really interesting topic.

I wanted a LOT more of the big guy with glasses. Obviously they are setting up the BTK as the series arc. The FBI head was a good character. I liked the female doctor. A little too much sex and gratuity, think the show should be a little creepier and darker. Lead guy I'm not sold on either. Sorry to be negative, I just think the show has a ton of potential, it's a really interesting topic.

Big guy for sure. He's great. I agree with creepier and darker. In fact, I think it will with the girlfriend. No way that ends up good.

Big guy for sure. He's great. I agree with creepier and darker. In fact, I think it will with the girlfriend. No way that ends up good.

More silence of the lambs. Less buddy cop, less sex, unless it’s the female doc with someone under 70.

The girlfriend is the worst part about the show.

I really wanted to love Mindhunter, but it was just OK. It was kind of creepy, but there was very little suspense. I'm hoping season 1 was mostly exposition and the suspense will come in the 2nd season.

The older partner plays a very different character in Shot Caller, which I watched last week. Had a double feature of that and Brawl in Cell Block 99. I preferred SC, but BiCB99 got better reviews. Both are basically what you expect them to be, but are interesting if you like gritty movies.

I think my personal ranking of Netflix original shows would be:

1) Peaky Blinders
2) Narcos
3) Stranger Things
4) Bloodline
5) Orange is the New Black
6) Mindhunter
7) House of Cards (would have been higher based on only first couple of seasons)

I really wanted to love Mindhunter, but it was just OK. It was kind of creepy, but there was very little suspense. I'm hoping season 1 was mostly exposition and the suspense will come in the 2nd season.

The older partner plays a very different character in Shot Caller, which I watched last week. Had a double feature of that and Brawl in Cell Block 99. I preferred SC, but BiCB99 got better reviews. Both are basically what you expect them to be, but are interesting if you like gritty movies.

I think my personal ranking of Netflix original shows would be:

1) Peaky Blinders
2) Narcos
3) Stranger Things
4) Bloodline
5) Orange is the New Black
6) Mindhunter
7) House of Cards (would have been higher based on only first couple of seasons)

season 1 of bloodline is supposedly the best and I thought it was slow moving and full of holes. I gave up.

If you haven't seen the documentary Gleason yet, I highly recommend it. It's about former Saints player Steve Gleason who has ALS.

If you haven't seen the documentary Gleason yet, I highly recommend it. It's about former Saints player Steve Gleason who has ALS.

+1,000. I've posted about it a few times in this thread and have encouraged many friends and colleagues to see it. It's the best documentary I've ever seen.

Go Team Gleason!!

Saw 'Darkest Hour' Friday night. Didn't love it as much as the critics. Very slow. Also didn't think Gary Oldman was as great as the critics did.

Watched a fun documentary on Netflix today: "Drunk, Stoned, Brilliant, Dead." It tells the story of the National Lampoon magazine, and the outgrowth into the National Lampoon radio show, stage show, and the movies. It focuses a lot on the key writers and editors who shaped the magazine's style of humor - many of whom went on to figure in the early years of Saturday Night Live, Animal House, Caddyshack, etc. Plus, some fun early footage of people like Belushi, Gilda Radner, Bill Murray, etc. I would guess that a lot of people my age (early 60's) probably read National Lampoon in their college years.

Also, while killing time before the Vikings game (yeah, I know), watched a short documentary about the Orson Welles "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast and the national reaction in 1938. Interesting perspective on how radio was once the primary national form of entertainment and information.

Got around to watching 'IT' this weekend. I was not disappointed. I typically am not a horror movie fan.....but this was just an all around excellent movie. Surprisingly very touching.....and the kid actors as well as Bill Skarsgard (Pennywise) were GREAT. It is much more in the vein of a 'Stand By Me' or "The Goonies' than a killer clown movie (and I don't mean Killer Clowns From Outer Space). I highly recommend it if you are on the fence. One of the best newer movies that I've seen in a while. I have a tough time thinking that the sequel will live up to this one......if it is actually "Chapter One". The grown up story line won't be nearly compelling......but I'll definitely see it after this.

Fun fact: Pennywise returns every 27 years according to the book. It was 27 years in between the original mini-series and the movie version. Nice touch.

The mini-series terrified me as a child. Forced myself to watch the entire thing at a certain point. Turned out that after the first hour or so.....it was mostly stupid......with the ending being a complete joke. Featured the late John Ritter and a young Seth Green. Tim Curry still creeps me out to this day.

I am a horror movie fan. Finally watched IT this weekend. I thought it was very good. A little overboard with the language, particularly the kid from Stranger Things character. Lots of great child actors. pennywise very good. Lost some steam at the end, a little long. Definitely one of the better King movies, not as good as Shawshank, Shining, Green Mile or Stand by Me.

also watched Kingsman Golden Circle: WOOF. First one was actually quite good, and unwittingly or not, had a political message that was right in my wheelhouse. This one was a MESS. Brutally dumb plot, gross, profanity over dialogue, boring action sequences, forgettable characters, and an all star cast. Big time WOOF.

You guys are tempting me to watch the new IT. The original is a big reason why I hate clowns.

You guys are tempting me to watch the new IT. The original is a big reason why I hate clowns.

My daughter hates clowns so much that she doesn't even like it when I put the clown emoji in a message.

Me too. But if you get past the clown stuff.....which really isn't THAT much.....the movie is very well done. Plus.....I think Tim Curry is what creeped me out most.

This looks like it will be really good:

Go Gophers!!

What is it with Adam Sandler? I watched his two most recent movies, ridiculous six and do over, and I can’t believe he is still a thing. Do over was slightly better, even watchable at 03:00 hours. Ridiculous six outdid its title.

What is it with Adam Sandler? I watched his two most recent movies, ridiculous six and do over, and I can’t believe he is still a thing. Do over was slightly better, even watchable at 03:00 hours. Ridiculous six outdid its title.

I heard him on Stern a while back. Apparently his Netflix shows are the most watched on the platform. I haven't seen any of them.

Another Netflix Documentary to check out: "Hired Gun." it's about session musicians and guys who get hired to play on rock tours. One of the main points is that there are no guarantees. One drummer told a story about going on a national tour one year, and the next year, he was painting houses just to make a few bucks. another guy who is featured is Liberty DeVitto, who played drums on albums and tours for Billy Joel for years. Until Joel dumped him without as much as a phone call, while DeVitto was going through a divorce.

they also feature a guitar player who went from playing on a Hilary Duff tour to playing with Alice Cooper. that's quite a switch in styles.

anyway, worth watching if you're a rock fan.

Another Netflix Documentary to check out: "Hired Gun." it's about session musicians and guys who get hired to play on rock tours. One of the main points is that there are no guarantees. One drummer told a story about going on a national tour one year, and the next year, he was painting houses just to make a few bucks. another guy who is featured is Liberty DeVitto, who played drums on albums and tours for Billy Joel for years. Until Joel dumped him without as much as a phone call, while DeVitto was going through a divorce.

they also feature a guitar player who went from playing on a Hilary Duff tour to playing with Alice Cooper. that's quite a switch in styles.

anyway, worth watching if you're a rock fan.

Thanks.

We watched Remember on Amazon last night. Solid movie about a 90 year old man trying to find the man who killed his family at Auschwitz.

Just watched Jumanji, actually dragged kicking and screaming to watch it, but man, what a fun and enjoyable movie. Good pacing, not long, very funny, interesting plot, and of course, not a politic in sight. Original was kind of fun, but this one is much better.

Starting to dive into Wild Wild Country on Netflix. It's a documentary about the Rajneeshpuram commune in Oregon in the 80s. I'm only halfway through the first episode and am hooked, and I have a feeling (and have heard) that it gets really really crazy. Looking forward to plowing through it.

Top Bottom