All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

Read the post before yours. Then subtract a DPO point from yourself.

You realize that that post contradicts your argument, right? The subtext of that passage is that Hitler is almost universally reviled, so much so that even talking about him is a sensitive topic. In spite of that, the director(s)/producer(s)/writer(s) made a brilliant film about him, despite presumably hating his guts.

You realize that that post contradicts your argument, right? The subtext of that passage is that Hitler is almost universally reviled, so much so that even talking about him is a sensitive topic. In spite of that, the director(s)/producer(s)/writer(s) made a brilliant film about him, despite presumably hating his guts.

No it doesn't at all. He made Hitler sympathetic. He talked about him in ways that are not politically correct. He could have made him a one dimensional monster but it wouldn't have been accurate or as good of a movie. He doesn't love Hitler but he didn't approach the character with hatred.

Not surprised, this conversation is beyond your understanding.

No it doesn't at all. He made Hitler sympathetic. He talked about him in ways that are not politically correct. He could have made him a one dimensional monster but it wouldn't have been accurate or as good of a movie. He doesn't love Hitler but he didn't approach the character with hatred.

Not surprised, this conversation is beyond your understanding.

You like to think that you're good at talking yourself out of a corner when you're clearly wrong, but you aren't. As long as you lead with the chin and speak in absolutes, you're doing well in your own mind.

You like to think that you're good at talking yourself out of a corner when you're clearly wrong, but you aren't. As long as you lead with the chin and speak in absolutes, you're doing well in your own mind.

I'm the one who DIDN'T speak in absolutes. Remember when you thought actors had to love or hate their characters?

I'm clearly right, know how I know? Because your post is a total white flag.

I'm the one who DIDN'T speak in absolutes.

"You can't make an accurate/good movie when you hate your subjects."

Yup, not an absolute statement at all.

Remember when you thought actors had to love or hate their characters?

That is not what I said. That was your inference of what I said.

I'm clearly right, know how I know? Because your post is a total white flag.

You dig in your heels and refuse to admit when you're wrong. I'm not interested in a 15-page back-and-forth.

I'd been itching to watch this since it debuted last Friday and finally had the time yesterday evening. It was more and better than I expected, and I'd had high expectations. The storytelling was magnificent, and the interviews were wonderful and well edited. As they approached the dates of the festival you could FEEL the dread among the organizers, and my feet literally started to sweat. Well crafted story.

I'd been itching to watch this since it debuted last Friday and finally had the time yesterday evening. It was more and better than I expected, and I'd had high expectations. The storytelling was magnificent, and the interviews were wonderful and well edited. As they approached the dates of the festival you could FEEL the dread among the organizers, and my feet literally started to sweat. Well crafted story.

I remember reading about this, looks awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

There’s one on Hulu too. They’re both so good. I couldn’t look away. The Hulu one goes into more detail about McFarlands past and has him as an interview subject. One of the most punchable guys I’ve ever seen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s one on Hulu too. They’re both so good. I couldn’t look away. The Hulu one goes into more detail about McFarlands past and has him as an interview subject. One of the most punchable guys I’ve ever seen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just watched the Netflix version. Your last sentence is so true.

People raised money to help the restaurant owner. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bahamiam-restaurant-owner-maryanne-rolle-defrauded-by-fyre-festival-will-share-gofundme-donations/

Went to “Bohemian Rhapsody” tonight. Just flat out fantastic. Me and the Mrs. loved it.

Every now and then someone comes along that is just so immensely talented and truly bigger than life. Wow. Freddie Mercury is one of those people. I was never a Queen fan in my earlier days but there are a lot of songs they have that I like. Actually had goose bumps once or twice towards the end of the movie that showed the Live Aid performance.

Great movie, I’d highly recommend it!

I’ll add my +1 to this as well.

Just watched Murder Mountain. Jake you are absolutely correct. This show completely validates my economics. I encourage everyone to watch.

We just watched Abducted in Plain Sight. Pretty crazy stuff.

The Ted Bundy Tapes on Netflix is pretty good.

Second that. Very interesting and scary, the randomness of it, the lack of technology available at the time, the "newness" of the serial killer phenomenon, that creep's personality and how it all played out. It really struck home for us because we have a daughter the same age as his last victim.

Free Solo

You are welcome.

It's good. Made me nauseous though. Actually thought his 60 minutes piece from a few years back was better? he's a weird dude.

Bundy tapes was good, although the actual tapes aren't interesting. I just wasn't familiar with the story.

Abducted in plain sight is the most bananas documentary I've ever seen.

I saw Jordan Peele's Us yesterday. NO SPOILERS:

Good acting with a somewhat interesting twist at the end. Other than that it was an awful movie. I have no idea how such a piece of garbage can render such a high rating on Rotten Tomatoes, unless there's a follow-up movie to fill in all of the plot holes and nonsensical story lines, which I read is not happening. If there were a touch of fanaticism, some of it could be explained away. However this movie is supposed to reside in reality. It's a complete mess.

I have no idea how such a piece of garbage can render such a high rating on Rotten Tomatoes

I can tell you if you'd like.

I've developed a "ratio" that I think helps. When a movie has really high critics reviews, and a big gap down to audience scores, avoid. If a movie has really low critic reviews, and really high audience scores, it's enjoyable and fun. If both are high, it's probably great.

I've developed a "ratio" that I think helps. When a movie has really high critics reviews, and a big gap down to audience scores, avoid. If a movie has really low critic reviews, and really high audience scores, it's enjoyable and fun. If both are high, it's probably great.

This is the most accurate post of your 36, 416. Bang on although I feel your term 'avoid" is too weak. 'Avoid at all costs" is more accurate.

A movie review is just an opinion. It's the reaction of one person watching the movie. Granted, the big-time critics watch a lot of movies, and have a little more basis for judging some of the technical factors, acting, etc. but still, a review is an opinion, and opinions are subjective. Critics also have their own biases and favorites.

FWIW, I miss the days when you didn't know much about a movie before it came out, and didn't get blasted with endless TV ads. There was something fun about walking into a theater and discovering a movie. these days, unless you go out of your way to avoid spoilers and reviews, it's like you've already seen the movie before you actually get to watch it in a theater.

As far as rotten tomatoes goes....I'll just say this....avoid it at all costs for TV. Especially new shows. Critics will review a show after an episode or two which makes little sense.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A movie review is just an opinion. It's the reaction of one person watching the movie. Granted, the big-time critics watch a lot of movies, and have a little more basis for judging some of the technical factors, acting, etc. but still, a review is an opinion, and opinions are subjective. Critics also have their own biases and favorites.

FWIW, I miss the days when you didn't know much about a movie before it came out, and didn't get blasted with endless TV ads. There was something fun about walking into a theater and discovering a movie. these days, unless you go out of your way to avoid spoilers and reviews, it's like you've already seen the movie before you actually get to watch it in a theater.

I would argue that a movie review is what the reviewer wants the public to believe that the reviewer thought about the movie. In many cases, hey I'm woke! Or, hey I'm not a racist, see? Or, I have really fine tastes and you rubes just didn't understand... Or probably most common, they WANTED the movie to be good. I think Us probably hit 2-3 of those as reasons for the ratio.

Other than the blockbusters, I don't usually know much about most movies I see. And I don't see many in the theater. Last one I saw was Spiderverse and I had no idea what it was about, thought it looked different and the reviews and especially twitter chatter were spectacular so I took a chance and was rewarded. It was amazing.

It's good. Made me nauseous though. Actually thought his 60 minutes piece from a few years back was better? he's a weird dude.

Yeah I was legit sweating while watching it and you know the outcome already because they wouldn't have made the documentary if he died trying to climb it but I was still nervous the whole time. He is a weird dude. I liked the shots they got up on the rock face the best, some of those shots are insane and to see the tiny holds he was using and that he had every single one of those tiny holds planned out to that degree the whole way up was mind boggling to me.

Finally went and saw "Captain Marvel." wasn't sure what to expect, because of all the controversy surrounding the movie on social media, and people trying to "review-bomb" Rotten Tomatoes because they thought the movie was trying to force-feed a 'feminist' agenda.

Anyway - look, it's a Marvel superhero movie. Within that genre, it's a perfectly fine 2 hours of entertainment. Is it a 'great' movie? No. But it's not a bad movie. A lot of fun little character bits, the action scenes are OK - not great - and it sets things up for the next Avengers movie. some fun 90's references, including most of the sound track. "Celebrity Skin" by Hole still has a great freakin' guitar riff.

As far as the controversy, I did not think the movie was jamming the 'feminist' theme down my throat. It's a movie with a female lead character. So what. I am not threatened by that.

Avoiding spoilers, in case you haven't seen it - the cat steals a few scenes. Samuel L. Jackson plays Nick Fury - but "de-aged" through special effects to make him look 25 years younger. for the most part, you don't notice it. (the de-aging is not so great for Clark Gregg as Agent Coulson)

if you're familiar with the comics, there are a few changes from the original story, including two big plot twists. But, if you don't know anything about the comics or the characters, you can go in cold and follow the action. Worth watching - especially if you can hit a bargain matinee. (one advantage of living outside the big city - saw it for $6 in Okoboji.)

I'm years late to this party, but I finally got around to watching "Contagion." That's a really good film, and the story and performances are haunting. Soderberg is one of the underappreciated directors of our day.

Top Bottom