All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

per the AP:

A sequel to the popular "Making a Murderer" documentary series is set to premiere Oct. 19 on Netflix.

The first "Making a Murderer" recounted the story of Steven Avery and his nephew, Brendan Dassey, who were convicted in the 2005 slaying of Wisconsin photographer Teresa Halbach. Avery and Dassey are serving life sentences in that killing.

Halbach's remains were found in the Avery family's Manitowoc County salvage yard. Avery insists police framed him. Dassey has argued detectives coerced him into confessing that he helped Avery rape and kill Halbach.

The documentary won Avery and Dassey legions of fans across the country and spurred demands for their release.

The sequel, "Making a Murderer 2," will follow their appeals.

http://www.startribune.com/making-a-murderer-sequel-set-to-premiere-oct-19/494262741/

Go Gophers!!

I loved making a murderer, it was a great documentary but I wish they had found a different case for a 2nd season.

We saw A Star is Born last night. Really good, and that’s saying something because I’m usually pretty picky when it comes to dramas.

Haunting of Hill House on Netflix is very well done, scary, builds tension. Good characters and acting. Give it a shot if you like the genre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Making A Murderer season 2 is pretty good. Kathleen Zellner is a fantastic lawyer/investigator!

Only about 30 minutes into Game Night. Fantastic cast. And so far the movie has been pretty damn funny.

Lol!

hider-in-the-house-1989-dvd-9477b.jpg

Bryan Cranston confirms 'Breaking Bad' movie happening

A "Breaking Bad" movie is really happening, yo.

The series star Bryan Cranston appeared on Wednesday's episode of "The Dan Patrick Show" and confirmed the project.
"Yes, there appears to be a movie version of 'Breaking Bad, but I honestly have not even read the script," Cranston said. "I have not gotten the script, I have not read the script. So there's the question of whether or not we'll even see Walter White in this movie. Think about that one."

The beloved AMC crime drama about ailing teacher-turned-drug-dealer Walter White ran from 2008 to 2013.

Cranston said he would absolutely be interested in reprising his role and working again with creator Vince Gilligan, whom Cranston called "a genius."

"It's a great story and there's a lot of people who felt they wanted to see some kind of completion to some of these storylines that were left open and this idea, from what I'm told, gets into at least a couple of the characters who were not completed as far as their journey," Cranston said.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, it's unclear as to whether the film will be for the big screen or television.

But the star of the critically acclaimed series sounded as stoked about the movie as fans.

"I'm excited about it because it's 'Breaking Bad' and it was the greatest professional period of my life," Cranston said. "I can't wait to see all those people again even if I just come by to visit."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/entertainment/bryan-cranston-breaking-bad-movie/index.html

Go Heisenberg!!

BREAKING BAD SPOILERS!!!!

Seems odd to me that they would make a Breaking Bad movie. I thought they tied everything up fairly well and gave closure to everything that I cared to know about. And how is Cranston's character even going to be incorporated into the film after the final episode?

Plus.....as good as Breaking Bad was.....I have to say that I've kind of been more a fan of Better Call Saul.

BREAKING BAD SPOILERS!!!!

Seems odd to me that they would make a Breaking Bad movie. I thought they tied everything up fairly well and gave closure to everything that I cared to know about. And how is Cranston's character even going to be incorporated into the film after the final episode?

Plus.....as good as Breaking Bad was.....I have to say that I've kind of been more a fan of Better Call Saul.

I read that it's a sequel around Jesse. I'd be surprised if Cranston was anything other than a minor role maybe with a flashback or 2. I wouldn't be surprised if he was just left out either.

Went to “Bohemian Rhapsody” tonight. Just flat out fantastic. Me and the Mrs. loved it.

Every now and then someone comes along that is just so immensely talented and truly bigger than life. Wow. Freddie Mercury is one of those people. I was never a Queen fan in my earlier days but there are a lot of songs they have that I like. Actually had goose bumps once or twice towards the end of the movie that showed the Live Aid performance.

Great movie, I’d highly recommend it!

Went to “Bohemian Rhapsody” tonight. Just flat out fantastic. Me and the Mrs. loved it.

Every now and then someone comes along that is just so immensely talented and truly bigger than life. Wow. Freddie Mercury is one of those people. I was never a Queen fan in my earlier days but there are a lot of songs they have that I like. Actually had goose bumps once or twice towards the end of the movie that showed the Live Aid performance.

We loved it as well. You forget how talented Queen was.

Just saw it and loved it. Bohemian Rhapsody, that is.

I guess I have a different take on this. If I want to listen to Queen, or watch a Queen performance, I'll watch a concert DVD of the actual group - not actors pretending to be the band members and lip-syncing to their greatest hits. it's that suspension of disbelief thing. I can watch a Marvel movie and enjoy it - even though I know Chris Evans is not really Captain America. But, when I watch one of the musical bio-pics, I'm always aware that I'm watching an actor pretending to be a musician. it just doesn't work for me.

Also, I just find a lot of musical biopics lacking, because they change facts, incidents and characters for "dramatic" purposes. One of the worst was the Buddy Holly Story with Gary Busey. over half of the stuff in that movie was completely made up. Again, I'd rather watch a documentary about the group.

to each his own.

I guess I have a different take on this. If I want to listen to Queen, or watch a Queen performance, I'll watch a concert DVD of the actual group - not actors pretending to be the band members and lip-syncing to their greatest hits. it's that suspension of disbelief thing. I can watch a Marvel movie and enjoy it - even though I know Chris Evans is not really Captain America. But, when I watch one of the musical bio-pics, I'm always aware that I'm watching an actor pretending to be a musician. it just doesn't work for me.

Also, I just find a lot of musical biopics lacking, because they change facts, incidents and characters for "dramatic" purposes. One of the worst was the Buddy Holly Story with Gary Busey. over half of the stuff in that movie was completely made up. Again, I'd rather watch a documentary about the group.

to each his own.

Why not both? A few nights after seeing the movie, my wife and I cued up this:
https://www.amazon.com/Night-At-Ode...&qid=1544643012&sr=8-5&keywords=queen+blu+ray

Highly recommended, both.

to each his own.

The movie covers a lot more than just the performances. Like how they came up with the songs, their relationships, etc. I didn't know a lot about them other than their music so I really enjoyed it.

Just watched "Springsteen on Broadway" on Netflix.

If you are a Springsteen fan, it is a must-see. To be clear, this is as much a spoken-word performance as a concert. Springsteen tells long stories about his parents, growing up in Jersey, and the early part of his career, including a great story about driving cross-country to a gig in California. (spoiler - the guy who wrote "Born to Run" did not know how to drive a car, and did not have a license, when he was 21 years old) Intermingled with the stories are acoustic versions of his songs performed solo on piano and guitar. Wife Patty Scialfa joins him for two songs.

It's a surprisingly emotional performance. Springsteen talks a lot about his father, and their relationship. He spends a lot of time on his hometown. there is a long story about some musicians he knew who died in Vietnam. He also talks about the death of sax player Clarence Clemons. He doesn't get too political, but he does touch on some current events. (it's safe for Republicans.....)

Anyway, again, a must-see for Springsteen fans. If you're not a Springsteen fan, I still think there are aspects you might find interesting. It runs about 2hrs-30 minutes.

The latest liberal, hate-fest movie from Hollywood, "Vice", appears to be opening to some less-than-stellar reviews. Another one to put on the list of movies to not go to this holiday season.

Clint Eastwood's "The Mule" looks pretty good, and maybe Aquaman is worth checking out anyway.

As a high school football player in the early 80’s how can I NOT be a Queen fan? “We will rock you,” We Are the Champions” and “Another One Bites the Dust” was my (pardon the pun) get ready to bust your ass listening too music prior to every game.

Kids....young, dumb, stupid and naive![emoji41] Between Queen and the Village people gay folks made utter fools out of us Straight Macho guys.[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
I won’t lie, I still love me some Freddie Mercury and Queen.

https://youtu.be/-tJYN-eG1zk

Last edited:

The latest liberal, hate-fest movie from Hollywood, "Vice", appears to be opening to some less-than-stellar reviews. Another one to put on the list of movies to not go to this holiday season.

Clint Eastwood's "The Mule" looks pretty good, and maybe Aquaman is worth checking out anyway.

Saw it Friday night. About what I expected. Good, not great. Worth watching, but wouldn't watch it again.

I saw it opening night. I didn't love it as much as you, but thought it was very good. It was exactly what I thought it would be, like any other rock biography. No surprises. Still it was fun to watch, the actor who played Freddy did an amazing job & the music was great.

A Coming to America Sequel Starring Eddie Murphy Is Officially Happening

Eddie Murphy is returning to his rightful place on the throne.

On Friday, Deadline announced that the actor will reprise his role as Prince Akeem in the sequel to Coming to America. In a statement, the actor told the outlet, "After many years of anticipation, I'm thrilled that Coming to America 2 is officially moving forward... We've assembled a great team that will be led by Craig Brewer, who just did an amazing job on Dolemite, and I'm looking forward to bringing all these classic and beloved characters back to the big screen."

In other exciting news, Kenya Barris, who is the creator of the show Black-ish, will be writing the screenplay.

For those who need a refresher on what the 1988 blockbuster is about, Murphy plays an African prince who hopes to find a wife in the United States. However, since he is a prince he must go undercover in Queens to meet the woman of his dreams.

https://www.eonline.com/news/100445...starring-eddie-murphy-is-officially-happening

Go Gophers!!

I saw it opening night. I didn't love it as much as you, but thought it was very good. It was exactly what I thought it would be, like any other rock biography. No surprises. Still it was fun to watch, the actor who played Freddy did an amazing job & the music was great.

The problem with biographies of famous people is that real life doesn't really have a plot. Ray and Walk the Line were well-acted, but it's just a series of episodes more than it is a cohesive story. I'm interested in Bohemian Rhapsody, but I didn't rush out to see it because of the so-so reviews and the fact that, as you mention, it's a rock biography.

On another note, I'd rate the shows I watched in the last couple of months thusly:

1) Godless
2) Escape at Dannemora
3) The Bodyguard

You can't make an accurate/good movie when you hate your subjects.

But in Germany the debate has raged over whether it is permissible to portray Hitler as a human being at all.

That honour in Downfall belongs to the distinguished Swiss actor Bruno Ganz, possessor of the mystical Iffland Ring, which for 200 years has been awarded to the most important German-speaking actor of each generation.

Ganz says that, of course he shuddered, just as anyone else would, at the role. "I asked people I've known a long time and whom I trust, and they all advised me against it," he told the Süddeutsche Zeitung. "We've internalised a kind of taboo against playing him."

He was encouraged by the wealth of source material: a rare tape-recording of Hitler speaking in his normal, non-demagogic voice and the many personal memoirs by the people around him. They provided minute insights into how Hitler walked, talked and cleared his throat. These, Ganz said, enabled him not to brood too long on the man's deadly Weltanschauung but to concentrate instead on the way he held his hands.

But, Ganz also adds, "people around me claim that, while making the film, I talked a lot about Hitler, and not always with the proper, politically correct distance". And, when he said that he was not ashamed to arouse pity for Hitler "for fractions of seconds", his cautious confession sent shock waves rippling through the nation.

Top Bottom