Does anyone know what the new offense will look like?

EG#9

Reaction score
Reading the Strib article on the Oline has me very nervous about the Gophers "new" offensive scheme. When I see quotes from Coach Davis which include phrases like "4 yards is good" and "ball control", I get visions of a change to an offense similar to those run at Iowa and Wisconsin. I think such a change would be a huge step back for the program. College football is about scoring points and you do that through picking up yardage in big chunks through the passing game. It's going to be tough to beat top tier teams without putting 30 points on the board.

Another way to look at it a conservative run based offense does not play to the strengths of this team. Decker figures to be our best offensive player and Weber is now an upperclassmen. We have Hayo Carpenter coming in at WR in addition to the highly recruited kids who were freshman last year.

When Fisch was interviewed by the GopherHole, I didn't get the vibe that the Gophers were going to be so conservative. I like that interview a lot better than what I read in the Strib.

Reading the article (linked in another thread) from Youngblood about Billick coming to visit, Fisch is saying his offense will look quite similar to Billick's. I'm not sure if that's Billick from the days of Jamal Lewis and the Ravens, or Billick from his days with Minnesota where Culpepper and Moss lit up the aerial attack (with help, of course, from CC and Jake Reed).

or Billick from his days with Minnesota where Culpepper and Moss lit up the aerial attack (with help, of course, from CC and Jake Reed).

i am going with this one, dont forget the beast robert smith...

And Leeroy "If you need 2 yards I can get you three, if you need 5 yards I can get you three" Hoard.

I'm guessing we'll have a Center, 2 Guards and 2 Tackles. We'll have a QB lined up somewhere behind the center and then some combination of RBs, FBs, TEs, and WRs, at the other five spots

Davis is focused on the running game

Don't forget that Davis is the Running Game Coordinator (or whatever title they came up with). He is focused on making the running game successful. If you can average 4 yards on your running plays, you will be successful. That forces the D to come up and commit more players to the box to stop you, opening up the play-action passing game.

The explosive plays will come, but if you can gain four yards or more on just about every running play, you will be successful. That's Davis' charge. Mr. Fisch will then be responsible for designing a passing game that compliments that. If you've got the LBs so focused on the running game, there should be opportunities downfield for big passing plays.

EG9
You have 2 seconds to answer this question.
Would you like to have an offense like a Ohio State?

The new offense is going to be dynamic. That's probably the easiest way to describe it.

I would guess most would and OSU had the 2008 BT conference stats back it up.

OSU by a mile led the BT in rushing plays with 72% versus just 28% passes. Iowa followed at 62%, WI 60%, Michigan & PSU 58%, Illini 54%, MSU & NU 53%, IU 51%, Gophers 47% and PU 45%. Overall, BT teams ran 56% versus passing 44%.

OSU's running attack totaled 59% of its yards, Michigan 53%, WI & Iowa 52%, PSU 44%, NU 40%, IU 39%, Illini 36%, PU 35%, MSU 32% and Gophers 29%. Overall BT teams gained 43% of its yard on the ground.

Time of Possession leaders were Wisky, PSU, OSU, PU and Iowa; teams that placed emphasis on the running game (except PU of course).

And in one of most important categories, OSU only allowed 12.2 ppg, followed by PSU 13.6 and Iowa at 16.2. Of course having talented players on D help too.

Me? I am glad Brewster scrapped Dunbars whimpy version of the spread and decided to mix it up.

Bring it!!!

Football is not about scoring points, it's about scoring more points than your opponent. If you could be guaranteed to get 4 yards every play, you'ld win every game. It's great to be able pass down field for 30+ yards, but you can't have that be the only thing you do.

Can we expect the same type of learning curve from the 2007 season or is this offense supposed to be easier to pick up for the players?

EG9
You have 2 seconds to answer this question.
Would you like to have an offense like a Ohio State?

I'd rather have an offense like Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, USC, Missouri, etc. I am not interested in what other Big Ten teams are doing offensively, I am looking at what is going on throughout college football. Kansas killed us passing the ball with maybe one NFL skill position player on offense.

I don't think it matters.

It's all about having the players who can execute. Dunbar, for the most part did not have the athletes to successfully execute his offense. I remember many coaches saying something similar to "If we execute properly on offense, nobody can stop us." I'm optimistic.

Top Bottom