Random Music Thread....

This is pretty good, even if the music makes your ears bleed.

I picked up the new collaborative album from Elvis Costello & The Roots last week. Elvis Costello is one of my all-time favorites, and I really like The Roots. Needless to say I was really looking forward to this album, more so than any other album in recent memory. Initially, I had a hard time reconciling Elvis' voice against the funk of The Roots. I think being such a big Costello fan and so familiar with his other work, I struggled with the sound of his voice and a hiphop backing band. But I've given it a few listens now think it's a great album. Very lyrically dense. I read one reviewer call it fun music about scary topics.

Elvis does all the vocals. I was really hoping (and expecting) he and Black Thought would share the mic. I realize genre-crossing vocals are pretty played out at this point. But I really feel they missed an opportunity there. The album feels much more Costello-ish than Rootsy. It felt like a 70/30 split to me. I would have liked it a little more balanced.

My favorite part of the album is they re-imagine a few Elvis Costello songs. They're not covers because they are new songs with different titles and all, but they use most of the same lyrics from these songs. Interesting that two of the songs, Bedlam & Radio Silence, are from his more recent albums and not his well-known classics. The third is Pills & Soap, which is from his Attractions days. As a Costello, it was cool hearing these reimagined songs and my favorite part of the album.

Here's one of the more Rootsier songs:

Thanks for waking this thread up again, Nokomis.

A couple under-the-radar's from the past few years:

Said The Whale was the last show I saw at the old 400 Bar :cry:

Had this song on my mind for some reason the other day (haven't heard it in years) and then the next day I turned on the radio and there it was:

Well, as long as you bring up The Lemonheads, I think this was a bonus track on the second printing of the same disc.

Worth noting, the song titled "Drug Buddy" on the first printing was changed to "Buddy" on the second after some people complained about the title.

I cringed when I heard who was going to be singing a song next on Letterman, last night - Yoko Ono. Then was curious when she was being backed by The Flaming Lips. Then cringed again when I heard her voice. I kept with it, and I gotta tell you, I think it worked.......or it could just be crap. You decide.

I cringed when I heard who was going to be singing a song next on Letterman, last night - Yoko Ono. Then was curious when she was being backed by The Flaming Lips. Then cringed again when I heard her voice. I kept with it, and I gotta tell you, I think it worked.......or it could just be crap. You decide.

Perhaps the equivalent of William Shatner's album produced by Ben Folds?

Hey Costa, Colin Meloy of The Decemberists is performing a few Kinks songs for his latest tour. I really like The Decemberists, and it'd be interesting to hear him do a few songs. Looks like Waterloo Sunset & Harry Rag, two of my favorites, are in the repertoire. Unfortunately, you can only get the album at his live shows. But you can listen to Do You Remember Walter here.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2...g-premiere-colin-meloy-do-you-remember-walter

Sorry, don't see anything on David Watts.

new p.o.s. can download the entire album for free. have done.

new p.o.s. can download the entire album for free. have done.

Hmm...I think I prefer the original. We Don't Even Live Here is an awesome album, great songs all the way through. Perfect the way it is. I do like this video, though. I like how POS can have a sense of humor about heavy topics. Thanks for the link.

Have you heard this new group Sifu Hotman. I'm not familiar with Guante, Dim Atlas or Rube but I love this new collaboration. Whose Planet? Our Planet is my new favorite song. I wonder if Gopher Warrior knows these guys.

<iframe style="border: 0; width: 350px; height: 470px;" src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/album=904497473/size=large/bgcol=ffffff/linkcol=0687f5/notracklist=true/t=3/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="http://sifuhotman.bandcamp.com/album/sifu-hotman-guante-dem-atlas-rube">SIFU HOTMAN (Guante + Dem Atlas + Rube) by SIFU HOTMAN</a></iframe>

http://sifuhotman.bandcamp.com/

If you get a chance to see Diet Folk, take advantage. Stroker, Trojan and I stumbled upon them playing at Harriett Brewing in south Minneapolis on September 20 while we were on our semi-annual drunken rampage. The clip below is good, but it doesn't do them justice; they were mesmerizing the night we saw them. I think they're from Cloquet or Duluth, and they play a lot of shows up that way.

If you get a chance to see Diet Folk, take advantage. Stroker, Trojan and I stumbled upon them playing at Harriett Brewing in south Minneapolis on September 20 while we were on our semi-annual drunken rampage. The clip below is good, but it doesn't do them justice; they were mesmerizing the night we saw them. I think they're from Cloquet or Duluth, and they play a lot of shows up that way.

Where can I buy stock in these guys? I watched several Youtube vids of them & they're absolutely amazing. I intend to see them soon & often when they're in town. It's hard to believe these guys are right here in Minnesota & I haven't at least heard them on the Current or seen them in the City Pages. They'll be opening for Mumford & Sons sooner rather than later imo. Awesome find!

Hmm...I think I prefer the original. We Don't Even Live Here is an awesome album, great songs all the way through. Perfect the way it is. I do like this video, though. I like how POS can have a sense of humor about heavy topics. Thanks for the link.

Have you heard this new group Sifu Hotman. I'm not familiar with Guante, Dim Atlas or Rube but I love this new collaboration. Whose Planet? Our Planet is my new favorite song. I wonder if Gopher Warrior knows these guys.

<iframe style="border: 0; width: 350px; height: 470px;" src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/album=904497473/size=large/bgcol=ffffff/linkcol=0687f5/notracklist=true/t=3/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="http://sifuhotman.bandcamp.com/album/sifu-hotman-guante-dem-atlas-rube">SIFU HOTMAN (Guante + Dem Atlas + Rube) by SIFU HOTMAN</a></iframe>

http://sifuhotman.bandcamp.com/

never heard of them. i moved away from minnesota a while back, so i don't follow "the scene" much anymore. i'll give them a listen.

new arcade fire, my favorite new album of the year.

Playing this Saturday 11/9 at the Turf Club. Ted you in? Nokomis? Bad, you gotta join us!? Everyone else welcome too.

Playing this Saturday 11/9 at the Turf Club. Ted you in? Nokomis? Bad, you gotta join us!? Everyone else welcome too.

I might just be able to pull this off. I'll have to check with the family unit to make sure nothing is happening.

How drunk is too drunk?!?
I think I'd either have to be stone sober or super drunk to sit through a Diet Folk concert.

Ted, I was just going to say, you're welcome to join me in my car. I drive a station wagon so there's plenty of room.

I think I'd either have to be stone sober or super drunk to sit through a Diet Folk concert.

Ted, I was just going to say, you're welcome to join me in my car. I drive a station wagon so there's plenty of room.

CRG got me too drunk a few years ago and I slept in my VW. Kind of forgot about that. Not at all comfy like a wagon.

An avatar pic of that would be priceless.

An avatar pic of that would be priceless.
Costa, Ted, & Nokomis road tripping back from IU this weekend. Bad is taking the picture.

backpacker_650.jpg

Edit: This once-cool thread has taken a drastic turn towards the weird.

Costa, Ted, & Nokomis road tripping back from IU this weekend. Bad is taking the picture.

backpacker_650.jpg

Edit: This once-cool thread has taken a drastic turn towards the weird.

I must have blocked that out. Where did Bad sleep?

OK, let's get this MF back on the rails.

In March of 2009 I was in Nashville for a meeting of my national committee. (I'd normally say our annual meeting, but we met twice that year - in the spring and the fall - as we pressed to complete the latest edition of our primary publication.) The night before our meeting began, one of our two reps who lives in Nashville led several of us on a whirlwind walking tour of Lower Broadway downtown, where you find all the famous live music venues, bars and restaurants, just a half block south of the Ryman Auditorium, the original home of the Grand Ole Opry. If you're ever in Nashville, visiting Broadway will almost certainly be the highlight of your visit.

For the last stop on the tour, our guy led us through Tootsie's Orchid Lounge, which is the most famous of all the venues and sits with the Ryman right behind it. It's been showcasing up-and-coming talent since 1960. Rumor has it that, before that - when it was called Mom's under different ownership - performers from the Opry like Hank Williams would sneak over for a quick snootfull between sets.

Anyhoo, the place has two stages, one in front and one a half level up in the back, and the place is very crowded, even on a Sunday night when we were there. Our party was led in the front door for a quick walk-through and then out the back door past the upper stage. Well, I was bringing up the rear of the group, and when we were halfway through the upper bar, I was stopped cold by the act that was performing on stage - a gal named Jaclyn North with a backing band. My group continued out the door without me; I just had to stay and watch her. (They said the next day that they were going to send a search party back in for me, but they were confident I was OK and that they'd see me at the meeting the next morning one way or another.) She just blew my socks off with her voice, energy, musicianship, the whole nine yards. She did a honkytonk version of "Piece of My Heart" that I remember vividly to this day.

After a little while, the band took a break, and I turned my attention to Texas losing to Duke in the Round of 32 on the TV behind the bar (two days after the Longhorns had knocked off the Gophers). I caught something out of the corner of my eye, and it was North walking around the bar with a hat collecting tips for her backing band. Having had three or four beers worth of courage built up by that time, I pulled out a donation and started up a conversation with her as she swept by. Now I don't usually get starstruck or tongue tied, but she was so beautiful, talented, charismatic...and about an inch taller than me. My first thoughts was, "Damn, you're tall," but I didn't say that. I'm not really sure what I did say, but I remember her being appreciative and that we went on for upwards of a minute. I must have said something like she was the real deal and was going to be a star someday. I figure that's what I said because that was definitely what I was thinking.

I didn't keep track of her career or anything, but I found out not long ago that she ended up in the finalist round of American Idol in 2010 at the tender age of 18 - no small accomplishment. I don't watch Idol, but if I'd known she was in the mix at the time, I would have been glued to the tube. In 2011 she performed/competed at the Ryman in the Texaco Country Showdown, winning the championship. The clip below is her performance, which is of an original song of hers. I have to say, when I watch this clip I get melty and short of breath all over again, just like four plus years ago at Tootsie's when I knew I was nose to nose with big-time talent.

I like her legs more than I like her music.

Nashville is an awesome town! Went to two of three Music City Bowls. Best bowl destination! That downtown scene is incredible.

A little Friday treat for you local hip hop fans. Stumbled across this last night while watching the Stanford-Oregon game. Nevermind my favorite Doomtree song, this is one of my Top 5 favorite songs. Mictlan is really sick and looks terrible. He looses it there for second but still totally kills it at the end. I love how Sims is just like, keep it together you f--ks.

A little Friday treat for you local hip hop fans. Stumbled across this last night while watching the Stanford-Oregon game. Nevermind my favorite Doomtree song, this is one of my Top 5 favorite songs. Mictlan is really sick and looks terrible. He looses it there for second but still totally kills it at the end. I love how Sims is just like, keep it together you f--ks.

where cecil been?

Has anyone seen Arcade Fire live? They will be out in Colorado in April.

Top Bottom