Random Music Thread....

Good stuff with Danny Gatton-heard his name before, but I never gave him a listen. I'm sold.

This is mainly because 2 got me in a Folk mood the last few days. Here is to Mary being smoking hot imo.
Michelle Phillips is way hotter, IMO.

Siah and Yeshua dapoED - The Visualz

I haven't really listened to the Roots in years.. understand they're on late night TV now. Can't be mad, though, they put in a lot of work. First heard about them in the early 90's from fam in Philly. Was able to catch them live a couple of times in smaller venues in the Organix days... blown away. At the time, you didn't have a many hiphop acts doing what they did with live instrumentation (which you see everywhere today).

Anyway, if you dig the Roots you might like these cats. Really good kids; Siah was especially well traveled. Siah & Yeshua dapoED's EP on Fondle Em is a classic.. there were numerous other projects they worked on though, both together and separate.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kwsekg7aUZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kwsekg7aUZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So cool. I bet I'm the only one to watch the whole thing.

One of the more underappreciated rappers of his time - Masta Ace:

Yes! Although it's still his time. He and my guy Strick (Milwaukee) are taking off again this weekend... this time they're heading to Australia for a week. Ace is a really a good dude. Genuine.

eMC (Ace, Strick, Punchline & Wordsworth) featuring Sean P! - "Git Some" (from 2008 LP The Show)...I've had the pleasure of working with Strick & Words - dope mc's and super people. :

Some Mpls bands from my youth that are, but should not be forgotten. First up Beat the Clock with 'Hardest Days'. Ken Chastain & Jimmy Anton are tight.

Beat the Clock 'Old Times (They should be brought up)' live at the 400 Bar 1989.

Tina & the B Sides really only have reunion footage, but here's a bit from a documentary about Mpls music in the 1990's.

Tina & Laura 20 years later with a taste of what they do. 'Blue Skies'.

Not that it's in any way arcane, but I love everything about this rendition of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Prince coming in at 3:30 and absolutely steam-rolling Tom Petty & Steve Winwood, George's goofy kid playing along, and is that David Crosby in the back playing tamborine? I love the look Petty gives Prince as if to say, "I can't handle all this Purple Power." And then Prince just whips off his guitar and walks off stage. Classic.

It was Prince's birthday this weekend. Happy Birthday, Prince!

Not that it's in any way arcane, but I love everything about this rendition of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Prince coming in at 3:30 and absolutely steam-rolling Tom Petty & Steve Winwood, George's goofy kid playing along, and is that David Crosby in the back playing tamborine? I love the look Petty gives Prince as if to say, "I can't handle all this Purple Power." And then Prince just whips off his guitar and walks off stage. Classic.

It was Prince's birthday this weekend. Happy Birthday, Prince!

1st off I Love Jeff Lynne. He's one of those guys that people say "Never heard of him" but can sing along word-for-word on 10 of his songs.

2nd, I love this link Nokomis. Tom, Jeff & Steve are having their VH1 jamfest & in comes f'ing Prince! Pimp hat, pimped out Telecaster & just rips the sh*t up. All those other guys are hall-of-fame guys, Prince is a once-in-a-lifetime guy. But what a dick.

In honor of a great show last night at First Ave.

Did they play this song?

Yep. I've seen these guys over ten times and they always play this. They used to live by me for a short while in the 90's. They love Mpls. I'd see Zia (chick keyboard player) at Moose and Sadies coffee shop once in a while and drool.

Here's Trip Shakespeare on Channel 2 in 1991. KTCA did a series of half-hour shows about local bands in the early 90's including interviews and live studio performances. I always thought their live performance of "The Crane" was so much better than the album version.

I've been trying to find footage of Jester - great band that never got it's due and faded out fast. Anybody out there remember this band?

:cool02::cool02:

What's your guys' thoughts on Har Mar Superstar? It's easy to dismiss him as a novelty act. But damn he can write a funky song. Here's his latest:

Back in my drinking days, I used to go catch Willie and the Bees at the Triangle Bar. (when I wasn't falling off bar stools at Culla's-
Auggies will understand.)

They kept a little frozen pizza oven behind the bar so they could be open on Sundays because they then could say that they "sold food". Flummoxed them once by actually asking for a pizza. After looking around, they admitted that they didn't have any.

Back to the music thread.

Top Bottom