Random Music Thread....

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Think we should have a regular thread...

I'm going with cool, arcane things but add whatever you like.

Cornershop: Brimful of Asha (I appreciate the part where they seem to sample De La Soul, who was in turn sampling School House Rocks "3 Is the Magic Number".

Speaking of which, here's Blind Melon covering "3 Is the Magic Number" on this album:

5102HFZPX5L._SX300_.jpg

Pavement's awesome "No More Kings"

From the documentary about Australian surf gangs "Bra Boys". 'Causing Trouble' by the Camels is a great song in the punk/ska tradition.

"Well, they're calling us violent, criminal, delinquent, hooligan thugs,
We're just trying to hang around, we can't even go to shops,
without the cops, busting our chops & anytime we think of anything good to to do,
Suddenly, there's a law against that too and once again, We're causing trouble..."

Great stuff Jake! We should cover 'Unpack your adjectives'. You sing, Nokomis on flute, Leeks on Moog (Sp?), Tiki Ted on Ukelele, DH on bass, Bad on Xylophone, Stalker on Violin, me on Lead Guitar & Cowbell, Barn Burner on drums & of course Beeg on the Harp.

Great stuff Jake! We should cover 'Unpack your adjectives'. You sing, Nokomis on flute, Leeks on Moog (Sp?), Tiki Ted on Ukelele, DH on bass, Bad on Xylophone, Stalker on Violin, me on Lead Guitar & Cowbell, Barn Burner on drums & of course Beeg on the Harp.

As long as I am on the drums, I am in!

I'm flute or I'm nothing!

From the documentary about Australian surf gangs "Bra Boys". 'Causing Trouble' by the Camels is a great song in the punk/ska tradition.
I don't know anything about Australian surf rap, but this is my favorite surf rock song. Love the metallic guitar, sloppy drums, and bruising sax.

The Centurians -- Church Key

Here's one that makes me think of diehard everytime I hear it.

Tom Waits -- Hell Broke Luce

"How is it that the only ones responsible for making this mess
Got their sorry asses stapled to a g-dd-mn desk"

"What the hell was it that the President said?
Give them all a beautiful parade instead"

Here's a new one I really like. I really don't know anything about Iron & Wine but can't stop listening to this song.

I'm a big fan of Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings. Seen them live three times, always put on an awesome show. Earlier this week it was announced that Sharon was diagnosed with cancer, cancelling their 2013 album release and tour. Sounds like it's manageable, so hopefully she's back at it soon.

DBT

In the last year and a half I have become completely addicted to The Drive By Truckers.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d8b7zKLla-g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you're not or just haven't had the chance to listen to Danny Gatton you're wrong. A guitarist of completely staggering ability who left us long before he should have:

One of a thousand different things he plays on. Everything from blues to jazz to country to you name it:

Another one of Gatton's that I just love. It just blows me away this was also recorded live. Song of India:

And the last one off of his 88 Elmira Street album. Red Label. This one has a trumpet part about a minute that hits a high note that'll blow the windshield out of your car.

Good stuff with Danny Gatton-heard his name before, but I never gave him a listen. I'm sold.

This is mainly because 2 got me in a Folk mood the last few days. Here is to Mary being smoking hot imo.

Can't get enough of The Roots
The Roots are awesome. They're teaming up with Elvis Costello (one of my favorites) for an album release later this year. I'm super excited for that album.
Here's a local band that sounds a lot like The Roots.

Top Bottom