Official 2015 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Don't believe that is on anymore. Unless something has changed recently the staff has moved on from McKee.

I'd be shocked if this visit ever happens. McKee was scheduled to visit us just before Christmas and the staff cancelled his OV after their in-home visit. Was he just using us for a free trip to the MOA before Christmas and this is a test to see how serious he is? Did they see/hear something they didn't like that night, but now we're getting desperate with the clock ticking? I get the feeling he'll commit to the Badgers and he'll never visit here.

I'd be shocked if this visit ever happens. McKee was scheduled to visit us just before Christmas and the staff cancelled his OV after their in-home visit. Was he just using us for a free trip to the MOA before Christmas and this is a test to see how serious he is? Did they see/hear something they didn't like that night, but now we're getting desperate with the clock ticking? I get the feeling he'll commit to the Badgers and he'll never visit here.

According to Burns the staff hasn't even been in talks with him recently and the news of him possibly visiting is news to them. I honestly don't think they are at all interested at this point.

Thanks for the additional info on Register/Whitfield

Register will become my favorite recruit in this class if he commits. The kid has great size, speed, and the ability to get the ball. I can't believe he doesn't have more offers...

Hopefully we get some good news soon on the recruiting front. This is shaping up to be the most boring January in a while...

Register will become my favorite recruit in this class if he commits. The kid has great size, speed, and the ability to get the ball. I can't believe he doesn't have more offers...

Apparently he lives 2 hours from New Orleans and 3 hours from Houston so recruiters and evaluators consider it inefficient to take that much time to get there to only see a handful of prospects. Text book case of under the radar, not some excuse for a kid not being good.

Hopefully we get some good news soon on the recruiting front. This is shaping up to be the most boring January in a while...

I believe it's a dead period right now. Not much going on. I don't even think Harbaugh has gotten his first commitment yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It has to be academics in both cases. If they can gain admission here, they're Gophers. If not, they'll go to the other listed. We aren't in recruiting battles with these schools.
This has already been shot down by multiple people, but to act as if we're above recruiting battles with these schools is absurd. We lose recruiting battles to the smaller schools every year.

Last year we had J.T. Ibe, Martavius Mims, and Deron Thompson in on official visits and absolutely would have taken commitments from any and all of them, and thought enough of them to bring them up here and court them (especially the latter two, where we were very short on DB commitments). Instead they went to Rice, Western Kentucky, and Colorado State, respectively. In only one of those cases (Ibe) was geography even a serious factor. We just lost.

This has already been shot down by multiple people, but to act as if we're above recruiting battles with these schools is absurd. We lose recruiting battles to the smaller schools every year.

Last year we had J.T. Ibe, Martavius Mims, and Deron Thompson in on official visits and absolutely would have taken commitments from any and all of them, and thought enough of them to bring them up here and court them (especially the latter two, where we were very short on DB commitments). Instead they went to Rice, Western Kentucky, and Colorado State, respectively. In only one of those cases (Ibe) was geography even a serious factor. We just lost.

Unless I'm mistaken about his recruitment, I don't believe Thompson falls in that category. He was all about the Gophers. The staff preferred other RB's IMO.

IIRC Rodney Smith and Mims flat out said the WKU and ECU have better facilities than us. I believe Rodney said something along the lines of "The only thing Minnesota has on ECU is the conference. ECU has better coaches and facilities."

IIRC Rodney Smith and Mims flat out said the WKU and ECU have better facilities than us. I believe Rodney said something along the lines of "The only thing Minnesota has on ECU is the conference. ECU has better coaches and facilities."

He came out and said the coaches were better at ECU and then committed to us? I can understand the facilities statement but not the coaches.

Apparently he lives 2 hours from New Orleans and 3 hours from Houston so recruiters and evaluators consider it inefficient to take that much time to get there to only see a handful of prospects. Text book case of under the radar, not some excuse for a kid not being good.

Lafayette isn't exactly in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah I'm not buying that either.

From ECU's 247 page:

"They definitely made a push for the top,” Smith said of ECU. “I have to sit down and talk to my parents, but as far as my top choice-wise, the only thing Minnesota has over East Carolina, I would say, would be the conference. Everything else was better. The facilities, the coaching staff, the players welcomed me in. It’s an overall good vibe with East Carolina.”

Not that it means anything now, but Kill had an in-home visit with Smith a few days later and he committed shortly after.

Thompson would have absolutely come here, but he didn't have the option after the staff knew they were getting Jeff Jones. Ibe and Mims decided to stay close to home.

Thompson would have absolutely come here, but he didn't have the option after the staff knew they were getting Jeff Jones. Ibe and Mims decided to stay close to home.
I've heard both sides on Thompson, but he committed way before Jones settled on Minnesota.

Mims was from Alabama and went to Western Kentucky. That's not really "home".

I've heard both sides on Thompson, but he committed way before Jones settled on Minnesota.

I truly believe that Jones was always going to be a Gopher and only reopened his commitment to build some more notoriety (and enjoy the process I'm sure). I recall during his announcement assembly he said something along the lines of "I kept telling Coach Kill to trust me that I'll be there" or something like that.

I truly believe that Jones was always going to be a Gopher and only reopened his commitment to build some more notoriety (and enjoy the process I'm sure). I recall during his announcement assembly he said something along the lines of "I kept telling Coach Kill to trust me that I'll be there" or something like that.

I think he said he always knew he was going to be a gopher and he built up some of the other schools just to have a less predictable signing day.

WKU is about 190 mi. from Muscle Shoals. While it's not exactly just up the road, it's definitely close enough that his family can see all of his home games without much trouble plus a fair amount of road games.

Hunter Register just has had two ULL crystal ball predictions today. Bad sign?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I'd guess that all teams lose some recruiting battles to smaller schools every year.

Lafayette isn't exactly in the middle of nowhere.

It sort of is though. In order to get there, recruiters have to drive hours from a major airport. Since time is money, they prefer to concentrate on the low hanging fruit, places where they can see multiple recruits in one stop. Minnesota has become very good at identifying these overlooked areas. They found Ced Thompson in the Salton Sea for example. Last year we brought in a recruit who was from the everglades, where they chase greased pigs as practice for football or something? I remember reading an article last year about how we hit Mobile Alabama and the Florida panhandle hard because there's so much talent there and many recruiters don't like that trip due to distance and not having a high concentration of city's/top programs to stop in like they do in Florida.

Actually Burns has stated that Singleton is the top WR target. I think he just means Register is "a" top target.

They're completely different style of players and they're both takes. Singleton rescheduling to visit Cal was the kiss of death, imo.

This is correct, Thompson absolutely wanted to commit and we slow played him, eventually telling him "no thanks".

Top Bottom