Official 2015 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Ryan Wallace
‏@call_me_WALLACE Just confirmed with Minnesota commit Almonzo Brown (@the_OCHO_brown) that he will not be visiting K-State this weekend as planned.

The guy has offers from Florida, OSU, Nebraska, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, etc., and he's the #1003 overall player on 247 - and a 3-star on Rivals. This is very strange, given that I've been informed repeatedly on GH that the recruiting services only look at offers and rate players accordingly.

2 ranked teams in that list (no less...B1G teams) isn't going to bump him to 4 stars:cool02:

Dimitri Williams: I think that I am still the same height (6-0). Before the season, I was at 185, from 170 last year, but I am pretty sure that I lost weight.

Which is another way of saying I weigh 175 and probably 5'11". He is a standout high school football talent, could be Mr MN football this year, but no one is giving B1G scholarships to players that size, he will have to walk on somewhere and prove he can compete at the next level.

James Johannesson went off last night.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Is there a strategy in play with Croft's visit? Do they invite kids from northern states later in the year and southern kids earlier?

Go Gophers!!

Lots of players that size and smaller get Big Ten scholarships, including several on the Gophers.

Where is that list? None of the MN kids on the 2015 list that are that size have big 10 offers.

Where is that list? None of the MN kids on the 2015 list that are that size have big 10 offers.

Players at 5'11", 175 lbs. or below:

Craig James 5'11", 170
Brieann Boddy 5'11", 175
Eric Murray 5'11", 173
Martez Shabazz 5'11", 170
Marcus Jones 5'8", 170
Derrick Wells 5'11", 175

(I could've also included Eric Carter, but did not because he was listed at 5'11", 177.)

And that's just in the Jerry Kill era, and at Minnesota only - completely discounting the other 11-13 schools in the conference.

Craig James 5'11", 170
Brieann Boddy 5'11", 175
Eric Murray 5'11", 173
Marcus Jones 5'8", 170
Derrick Wells 5'11", 175

(I could've also included Eric Carter, but did not because he was listed at 5'11", 177.)

And that's just in the Jerry Kill era, and at Minnesota only - completely discounting the other 11-13 schools in the conference.

You need to stop using facts. It's not befitting of a message board! :)

And if you happen to want MN kids, IIRC Brookins and Rucker weren't the biggest kids either.

Craig James 5'11", 170
Brieann Boddy 5'11", 175
Eric Murray 5'11", 173
Marcus Jones 5'8", 170
Derrick Wells 5'11", 175

Is that the size at which they were recruited or their size now? Looking at the roster, Wells goes 201 now and Murray is listed at 195.

I get your point though and agree with it. Most 17- or 18-year-old kids grow a bit, especially those in intense athletic training.

Craig James 5'11", 170
Brieann Boddy 5'11", 175
Eric Murray 5'11", 173
Marcus Jones 5'8", 170
Derrick Wells 5'11", 175

Speaking of facts. Shabazz is actually one that reinforces my point not yours, he went to JuCo performed, then got recognized.

I was clearly wrong to say no one gets scholarships at that size, you can it's just harder and not a surprise to me that a small kid might be getting overlooked.

Speaking of facts. Shabazz is actually one that reinforces my point not yours, he went to JuCo performed, then got recognized.

I was clearly wrong to say no one gets scholarships at that size, you can it's just harder and not a surprise to me that a small kid might be getting overlooked.

I certainly don't know why he went to JUCO, but it's not necessarily performance related. Perhaps it was grades or test score related.

High 3/low 4 star ILB Cecil Cherry is expected to take a visit here soon along with visits to Clemson, Arizona and Texas. He has been committed to Tennessee for over a year now and also has offers from Alabama, Auburn, OSU, USC and Notre Dame to name a few. IIRC over a year or two ago he was the #1 ILB in the country and a top 10 recruit which is when he got most of his offers. I have no idea why he would ever want to come here with an offer list like that and i doubt we get him but i'm not complaining that we can get a guy like this on campus of course.

Also from a free scouting report that I found of Shelton Johnson who will be taking an official here.

http://www.espnwestpalm.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=34181

Where He Excels:
At 6’5", Shelton Johnson has long body and reach. Johnson also has an incredibly fast first step that he uses when he plays stand up defensive end and rushes the passer. He does a great job of getting his hands up and disrupting passing lanes. This fast get-off is also effective when Johnson fires out low and stunts inside. Johnson has the rare ability of being able to “get small” and split a double team despite the fact he's 6'5". He understands the game of football which helps him read plays and not be fooled by counters and screens. Long arms also help him when he tracks down run plays on the opposite side of the play. Gets through his gap, squares and scrapes down line to get running backs. High motor lets him track down plays.

What To Work On:
Johnson needs to get stronger and use this strength to be able to press offensive lineman to keep them off his body. Adding upper body strength should be the primary focus of the offseason. Slacks a little and loses technique on some plays. This is very common with big DL as we saw with Jadeveon Clowney during the NFL Draft.

Kokell's Film Analysis:
Shelton Johnson is hands down the best defensive lineman in Palm Beach County and the Treasure Coast. His first step and big body lets him excel both against the run and the pass. More impressively, he can play the run both at him and going away. Johnson has so much upside with his big frame. An obvious major division one prospect, Johnson will flourish in college after two years of putting weight on and may only spend three years in college total. Very rarely do I say that you will see a kid playing on Sundays, but if Shelton Johnson keeps on this path of progression we will be hearing Roger Goodell call out his name.

High 3/low 4 star ILB Cecil Cherry is expected to take a visit here soon along with visits to Clemson, Arizona and Texas. He has been committed to Tennessee for over a year now and also has offers from Alabama, Auburn, OSU, USC and Notre Dame to name a few. IIRC over a year or two ago he was the #1 ILB in the country and a top 10 recruit which is when he got most of his offers. I have no idea why he would ever want to come here with an offer list like that and i doubt we get him but i'm not complaining that we can get a guy like this on campus of course.
Wow, that is quite the offer list.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Cecil-Cherry-138833

playing time?

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MI WR Grant Perry (<a href="https://twitter.com/TheGrantPerry">@TheGrantPerry</a>) talks about his breakout season and his Minnesota interest (FREE)- <a href="http://t.co/t0gTKgxcsy">http://t.co/t0gTKgxcsy</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Brice Marich(@BriceMarich) <a href="https://twitter.com/BriceMarich/status/529804561251577856">November 5, 2014</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Burns says he gives about a 5% chance of Cherry making a visit to MN (que up the 2% jokes)

Perry's hudl highlights are really good: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1470312/...ghts/167507389

As I watched, my thought was "Geez, their QB looks really good too (first throw off his back foot, yet on a line)" - he's the #12 QB in the country according to rivals, and on his way to MI. I think he's also a finalist for Mr. Football in MI (I think Ray Buford is as well).

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom