New NU/UI trophy - slightly OT

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
Was reading the ESPN blog and came across this story: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigten/0-3-149/Illinois--NU-need-your-help-to-choose-trophy.html. Apparently as part of the move away from any Native American imagery, etc. the Illini and Wildcats will no longer play for the Sweet Souix Tomahawk. I’d totally forgotten they played for it in the first place and had no idea it was being retired. They’re running a poll for what the new trophy should be called. The 4 choices are:

• The Land of Lincoln Trophy -- A replica of Lincoln's stove pipe hat mounted on a piece of White Oak (Illinois' state tree).
• President's Trophy -- Recognizing the four presidents associated with the state of Illinois: Lincoln, Grant, Reagan and Obama.
• The Popcorn Bowl, named after the Illinois state snack.
• Graham-Grange Fire Bell (original series trophy started in 1941 was a fire bell), named after two of the greatest players at each school Otto Graham of Northwestern and Red Grange of Illinois.
I’m partial to the Land of Lincoln myself mostly because I think it would look sweet (and would be unique). I get Ritterberg’s point about the fire bell, but there are multiple teams that play for a bell as their rivalry trophy. The best trophies are unique. History is important too but old trophies can still be lame (the Megaphone Trophy or Illibuck would be good examples).

Anyone care enough to say what they’d prefer or suggest something else?

completely retarded that they have to change the name of it...what a joke, just because you are in an important position doesnt mean you have to make big changes. I am Irish and i dont like to fight, i am offended, better change it

I wrote in on the ESPN comment section (under BullpenSilva) and suggested they call it the Blago Bowl and compete for a massive hair peice and the winning coach would get appointed to the senate. That would be sweet.

I bet you don't have any retarded indian friends ;)

I would be so inspired to play for some popcorn then run around the stadium with the popcorn after a big victory. What if somebody ate the popcorn or what if you dropped the popcorn when running around the stadium? Would they fire up some more popcorn in a microwave to replenish the supply?

Maybe the land of Lincoln trophy could be an old pimped up Lincoln that the winning team drives off the field after whipping a few sh!tties on the 50 yard line. That would be super sweet.

Top Bottom