Are Darcy & WCCO capable of a positive story on TCF?

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
WCCO's story about cranky long time season ticket holders: http://wcco.com/sports/gopher.ticket.holders.2.971844.html. This is what they chose for day 1 of seat selection. And they had more issues with facts to boot:

Like other longtime fans with seats between the 20's, the U requires a $500 fee above the ticket price to sit in the best seats.

Presenting the facts this way makes it seem like all the seats between the 20's have $500 fees when that is clearly not true. Also, at no point do they indicate that excluding donations for priority seats the actual cost for a ticket package only went up $25-$60* for the whole season. (* I couldn't remember but wasn't the lower pricepoint for Dome tickets $190 for the season?)

Good lord. At least Darcy didn't say the first game was on Sept 10th again. :rolleyes:

WCCO's story about cranky long time season ticket holders: http://wcco.com/sports/gopher.ticket.holders.2.971844.html. This is what they chose for day 1 of seat selection. And they had more issues with facts to boot:

Like other longtime fans with seats between the 20's, the U requires a $500 fee above the ticket price to sit in the best seats.

Presenting the facts this way makes it seem like all the seats between the 20's have $500 fees when that is clearly not true. Also, at no point do they indicate that excluding donations for priority seats the actual cost for a ticket package only went up $25-$60* for the whole season. (* I couldn't remember but wasn't the lower pricepoint for Dome tickets $190 for the season?)

Good lord. At least Darcy didn't say the first game was on Sept 10th again. :rolleyes:

Yes, it was a terribly done story. How about adding some other facts that might be relevant? How do our counterparts in the Big Ten do seating priority? Is the U charging more or less or about the same as them? How do they treat long time season ticket holders? If you compare us to the others - the U absolutely treats long time season tickets holders better AND requires a lesser donation than almost every other school to get good seats.

Yes she sucks, and WCCO knows it too. They can't can her like they did with several other pieces of on-air talent because rumor is she would sue for disability discrimination since she is in a wheelchair....

She doesn't really do any real investigation work, she basicially has a script and talks in her annoying voice....

is the $500 fee a one time deal or do you have to pay it every year?

??

holereader...

Seat donation fees are yearly.

Darcy did a story on the just the bare-bone seat selection process a week or two ago..walking everyone through the process and the anchors chitchatted about Darcy being a season ticket holder.

Darcy all did a story on the media tour through TCF Bank Stadium late in the fall.

So she's 2 for 3.

Darcy did a story on the just the bare-bone seat selection process a week or two ago..walking everyone through the process and the anchors chitchatted about Darcy being a season ticket holder.

Darcy all did a story on the media tour through TCF Bank Stadium late in the fall.

So she's 2 for 3.

She also did that nonsense "there won't be parking story" and got the date of the 1st game wrong in her report from the last media tour. WCCO also ran with the bogus "no beer" issue without doing a great job to highlight the fact that its consistent with current U policy at Williams and Mariucci. Perhaps my tagline was a bit misleading as they have done some positive stories about the stadium. It just seems like the default is to fill 90 seconds with a negative or poorly researched approach to whatever the TCF topic is.

This is french for

Darcy's tickets are not where she thought they would be, or she was shocked at the fee structure. This is the "Home Town Team". :mad:

well thats weird

because when she talked to maturi about it........he kept apologizing and saying its the times we are in

what was maturi apologizing about then?

well thats weird

because when she talked to maturi about it........he kept apologizing and saying its the times we are in

what was maturi apologizing about then?

I assume he's trying to put a nice face on it. What he really means is "suck it up if you want this team to compete with the big boys".

Hillarious story. Anyone of us could have written and filmed this POS on Saturday afternoon.
Me: Hello everyone - in case you didn't know already, the Gophers are moving into a new on-campus stadium on or about September 10 or 12. Unfortunately, old blue-hair fans on fixed incomes are pissy about price increases and that they have to pay a fee/donation to keep their premium seats that they had previously been getting for a relative bargin in the past.
[Cut to interview of my 65 year old suburban neighbor and gopher almni, Vern]
Vern: I'm old an' crabby. Those Gopher administrators don't care about us life-long fans and all we've given to the University [which is basically nothing as far as donations and only a nominal amount from ticket purchases in the past for their premium seats]. I've been to every game since '63 and I occasionally even stand up to clap when I'm awake at the dome. They should give me these seats for free, gollie gee gumdrop!
Me: Well there you have it, fans are mad that the University is increasing prices for premium seats. I could tell you about how this is and has been done at other universities for years and maybe even compare the U's treatment of its fans to the treatment of fans at other schools, but that wreaks of effort and professionalism and would probably show that the old fart fans have nothing to complain about which would in turn ruin the premise of my story as I originally viewed it. Stay classy Minneapolis!

We have had cheap seats for

30 years and now people are complaining? You have to step up if you are going to play with the big boys.
If not lets just join the Northern Sun.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hillarious story. Anyone of us could have written and filmed this POS on Saturday afternoon.
Me: Hello everyone - in case you didn't know already, the Gophers are moving into a new on-campus stadium on or about September 10 or 12. Unfortunately, old blue-hair fans on fixed incomes are pissy about price increases and that they have to pay a fee/donation to keep their premium seats that they had previously been getting for a relative bargin in the past.
Vern: I'm old an' crabby. Those Gopher administrators don't care about us life-long fans and all we've given to the University [which is basically nothing as far as donations and only a nominal amount from ticket purchases in the past for their premium seats]. I've been to every game since '63 and I occasionally even stand up to clap when I'm awake at the dome. They should give me these seats for free, gollie gee gumdrop!
Me: Well there you have it, fans are mad that the University is increasing prices for premium seats. I could tell you about how this is and has been done at other universities for years and maybe even compare the U's treatment of its fans to the treatment of fans at other schools, but that wreaks of effort and professionalism and would probably show that the old fart fans have nothing to complain about which would in turn ruin the premise of my story as I originally viewed it. Stay classy Minneapolis!

well done. you captured a large part of the problem.

spot on my friend! spot on! :clap:

you guys are ripping on 30 and 40 year fans who watched this piece of crap football year after year after year after year

thats hilarious.........if those older people werent in the dome, we'd have been the laughing stock of of america

yep.....lets take wise cracks at the people who have supported this losing program for the lst half century

hey you guys.....get up off your seats and clap........we are only down 28 in the second half

oh well......carry on

you guys are ripping on 30 and 40 year fans who watched this piece of crap football year after year after year after year

thats hilarious.........if those older people werent in the dome, we'd have been the laughing stock of of america

yep.....lets take wise cracks at the people who have supported this losing program for the lst half century

hey you guys.....get up off your seats and clap........we are only down 28 in the second half

oh well......carry on

Go back and be your douche self back on KFAN...why don't you go see if you can get in a troll war with Pantherhawk again....that seemed to keep you busy last time.

oh well......carry on

actually the point is that in MN, the state of entitlement, some, or even many, people always feel they are owed something. their loyalty was rewarded by how the point system is assigned. there are many that would love to be in their shoes.

It is a pay-as-you-go world today. TCF stadium is not immune. Just no money to socialize the cost right now.

Last I checked, Gopher fans have yet to form a union. So, you can take the seniority argument to your couch and watch the Gophers on the BTN. The idea that going to Gopher games for 30 years entitles you to your same seats for the same price is ridiculous. The rent control you enjoyed in the blue seats does not transfer to the maroon seats.

Like Tundra said, this loyalty was rewarded with the point system that gives loyal ticket holders the first shot at the good seats. I appreciate those that came before us and supported the team for many years. However, it takes more than just driving downtown and sitting in a seat for 3 hours to support a division 1 football team! Ask Michigan, OSU.......

Go back and be your douche self back on KFAN...why don't you go see if you can get in a troll war with Pantherhawk again....that seemed to keep you busy last time.

no way.....i'd rather stay here and rip on the people who supported this team for 30 or 40 years straight

some of you sound like idiots

many of them were the only ones going to the games

and it does suck that the prices are now out of range.........it's the way things are....but the story on the older people who cant afford was a good thing

no way.....i'd rather stay here and rip on the people who supported this team for 30 or 40 years straight

some of you sound like idiots

many of them were the only ones going to the games

and it does suck that the prices are now out of range.........it's the way things are....but the story on the older people who cant afford was a good thing

And guess what. They can still go to the games for only $25 more a season than the dome…they just won’t be sitting in their super-prime seats. They can still get seatbacks between the GL and the 20 if they want so its not like they’re being banished to a cold metal bench in the corner of the stadium.

I greatly respect fans that have been behind the Gophers through thick and thin. And I think it sucks that some of them won’t be able to afford keeping the same/similar seats next to what I assume are friends they’ve made over the years of going to games. But if we want to have a successful program and continue to have a sellout crowd at TCF the primary focus cannot be on subsidizing people on fixed incomes so that they can keep their amazing seats.

And all of this still doesn’t change the fact that WCCO ignored the other aspects of the story which include the fact that our Points/donation scheme is very reasonable compared to other B10 teams.

And guess what. They can still go to the games for only $25 more a season than the dome…they just won’t be sitting in their super-prime seats. They can still get seatbacks between the GL and the 20 if they want so its not like they’re being banished to a cold metal bench in the corner of the stadium.

I greatly respect fans that have been behind the Gophers through thick and thin. And I think it sucks that some of them won’t be able to afford keeping the same/similar seats next to what I assume are friends they’ve made over the years of going to games. But if we want to have a successful program and continue to have a sellout crowd at TCF the primary focus cannot be on subsidizing people on fixed incomes so that they can keep their amazing seats.

And all of this still doesn’t change the fact that WCCO ignored the other aspects of the story which include the fact that our Points/donation scheme is very reasonable compared to other B10 teams.

correct

but i thought a few of the posts about these long time fans were bush league and i'm right

anytime i go to a gopher game and see the older crowd......i get goose bumps just thinking they still come to the horrific football they have seen over the years

they are the ones going to the michigan knowing we will get destroyed

correct

but i thought a few of the posts about these long time fans were bush league and i'm right

anytime i go to a gopher game and see the older crowd......i get goose bumps just thinking they still come to the horrific football they have seen over the years

they are the ones going to the michigan knowing we will get destroyed

Riiight...

They are actually the ones who yell at me when I want to get up and cheer a defensive stop on 3rd and 2. They are the ones that ask me to quiet down and not cheer so loud after the gophers converted a big third down.

Hate to tell you, but I've made that trip to Ann Arbor, and I'd be willing to bet you that 85% of the Gopher fans there are younger then 40.

Nice try. You are always complaining about how handouts are bad and thats ruining America over on KFAN, so I'm surprised you are such a hypocrite on this matter....or maybe I shouldn't be.

actually the point is that in MN, the state of entitlement, some, or even many, people always feel they are owed something. there loyalty was rewarded by how the point system is assigned. there are many that would love to be in their shoes.

So true, if it's not the seat fee, it's the alcohol policy, or bench seating. The entitlement is fueled by our current gov leadership unfortunately. No one is forcing them to buy tickets, I'll gladly benefit for better seats then. Your loss, my gain.

Riiight...

They are actually the ones who yell at me when I want to get up and cheer a defensive stop on 3rd and 2. They are the ones that ask me to quiet down and not cheer so loud after the gophers converted a big third down.

Hate to tell you, but I've made that trip to Ann Arbor, and I'd be willing to bet you that 85% of the Gopher fans there are younger then 40.

Nice try. You are always complaining about how handouts are bad and thats ruining America over on KFAN, so I'm surprised you are such a hypocrite on this matter....or maybe I shouldn't be.

did i say they should be given the tickets at a discount......NOPE

did i say what U is doing is wrong ........NOPE

did i say it sucks that some of the ones who have supported this team, even though they were making your life miserable at the dome, cant afford the tickets is too bad.....YES

did i say ripping on them is stupid......YES

by the way....who the hell are you at KFAN?........you seem to read everything I post

and i meant the michigan game in the dome where we get our azzez kicked every single time by michigan......yet, they are still there

so yes.......the prices are higher because of a new stadium......and yes it sucks some cant afford it now...........i'm sure their 401K's are doing fine and they should just suck it up anyway

I like how the old folks point out they're on a "fixed income." If you're on a fixed income, don't spend your money on friggin football tickets!

I like how the old folks point out they're on a "fixed income." If you're on a fixed income, don't spend your money on friggin football tickets!

Your naïveté is astounding. So, by your logic, people are supposed to work 40, 50 years so they can save up a little to enjoy their retirement...and then they should just sit around and do nothing outside the bare minimum because they're on a fixed income.

For a lot of these people, getting a chance to get out and watch a Gopher game might be the only human interaction they've had all week. Should they yell at people to sit down? No, you have every right to stand and enjoy yourself at a football game. But by the same token, none of us should be ripping people who broke their backs for decades so they can have some fun during their golden years.

By the way, I do agree with the basic sentiment that many of you are expressing. In a capitalist society, there will always be those who get left out when it comes to luxury items.

But the way some of you are talking about senior citizens is sickening.

Your naïveté is astounding. So, by your logic, people are supposed to work 40, 50 years so they can save up a little to enjoy their retirement...and then they should just sit around and do nothing outside the bare minimum because they're on a fixed income.

For a lot of these people, getting a chance to get out and watch a Gopher game might be the only human interaction they've had all week. Should they yell at people to sit down? No, you have every right to stand and enjoy yourself at a football game. But by the same token, none of us should be ripping people who broke their backs for decades so they can have some fun during their golden years.

By the way, I do agree with the basic sentiment that many of you are expressing. In a capitalist society, there will always be those who get left out when it comes to luxury items.

But the way some of you are talking about senior citizens is sickening.

2nd this. I don't think being on a fixed income should result in special treatment, but being on a fixed income should never be given as a reason why someone shouldn't attend games. You or I have to determine whether season tickets fit into our budgets. Folks on a fixed income have to do the same. Being on a fixed income doesn't mean they can't afford the tickets...it means that they probably have to plan more carefully to make sure it doesn't get in the way of "must haves" live food or medical care.

'For a lot of these people, getting a chance to get out and watch a Gopher game might be the only human interaction they've had all week.'

prejudice much?

Top Bottom