"Painted Field" for shared time with Vikings?

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
My apologies if this has already been covered, but the following article has a couple paragraphs that may make a few people on this board breathe through the mouth:

http://www.venuestoday.com/news/detail/tcf-changes-0522

I'm talking specifically about the paragraph that suggests the current bold field color design will be replaced with something much more generic:

"The look of the field will change, too. The hash marks customary in college football will be replaced with sidelines, and it will be the first time that the venue will start painting its field."

Good find Schnauzer, thanks for posting.

Let's hope these are the only noticeable changes we'll see - hopefully the U remembers we have all the leverage on this deal and the more we can mitigate the noticeable changes on Saturday's the better.

Go Gophers!!

Maybe I'm having a senior moment, but how do you replace college hash marks with a sideline?

Sounds like a good deal for both sides. Vikings want a little of the purple and gold on gamedays and Gophers get some nice upgrades and exposure. Win/win as far as I can see.

Thanks for that find and sharing with us. Good article.

That was an interesting article. But what does "The hash marks customary in college football will be replaced with sidelines" mean? That makes no sense to me.

I really can't see them like painting the horn at midfield or something like that. No team has done that before when "borrowing" a college stadium. Obviously the hash marks will be a factor, but I really hope they don't try to put all this permanent type Vikings stuff on the stadium. They're only there two years, no need to make any big changes that will require a lot of work to remove after they leave.

I'm glad that somebody else is asking because I have no idea what hash marks replaced with sidelines means either & I figured it best to remain silent rather than prove to everyone I was idiot if it was something rather basic.

Interesting article.

I'm glad that somebody else is asking because I have no idea what hash marks replaced with sidelines means either & I figured it best to remain silent rather than prove to everyone I was idiot if it was something rather basic.

Interesting article.

I am assuming that it means the hashmarks used for College FB are not used for NFL FB, and will be painted for Gopher games and washed off for Viking games. The reason I assume that is because the standard width of the field is the same. But then, what do I know?

Perhaps that's what they meant, just throwing in the term "sidelines" made it more confusing.

Maybe I'm having a senior moment, but how do you replace college hash marks with a sideline?

The same way that you replace hash browns for baked potato at dinner. Ya just do it.

I just tweeted the author, asking for clarification on the hash marks comment.

vikings colors in our U of M stadium (temporary/removable or not).........makes me throw up in my mouth a little. this is a MAROON AND GOLD stadium. please, please don't let these overpaid pros go overboard in what they are allowed to do in the stadium on game days. fingers crossed.

Two things:

1. If they paint logos, I hope the Vikings pay to replace the field to the stitched logos we currently have, because they really pop. Although, they only mention hash marks, maybe hash marks are the only things being painted? Doubtful.

2. This is off topic, but the U has an RFP out to install alcohol points of sale throughout the concourse. I figured the U would hold out until the Vikings were willing to pay for it themselves. Well done on that front.

vikings colors in our U of M stadium (temporary/removable or not).........makes me throw up in my mouth a little. this is a MAROON AND GOLD stadium. please, please don't let these overpaid pros go overboard in what they are allowed to do in the stadium on game days. fingers crossed.

I tend to agree with this notion.

This is a great opportunity for the Vikings to show support for their College Level Compadres by incorporating as much Gopher promotion as they can. We are all Minnesota Fans, be it Vikings or Gophers. Find a way to work together for the benefit of both.

I tend to agree with this notion.

Also agree. This isn't the Vikings' little play-pen like the Metrodump was. I would hope the U holds the Vikings' feet to the fire if they really want to start redecorating on Sundays.

“We’re open to looking at any and all opportunities to accommodate the team and their sponsors,” said Hillestad. “Right now they have purple and yellow all around their stadium, and when it comes to things that are temporary and removable, we should absolutely be able to bring that in.”

That's a good sign, that what the Vikings put in for game day will be removable, like when we had our temporary banners at the dome. The screens can be reprogrammed with a flip of a switch.

I think the hash marks will be painted on for the Vikings games rather than for the Gophers games. The Vikings will only be there two seasons. If the NFL hash marks are permanent, while the Gophers are temporary, the U would be painting hash marks for the life of the turf - painting on the Gophers hash marks, and painting over the NFL hashmarks. It's much simpler to paint on the NFL hash marks for Vikings games.

The Block M at midfield is too valuable as advertising for the U to give up. In any case, it would look ugly if they tried to paint the Vikings logo over it, they would have to use a lot of paint to cover the maroon.

I'm fully expecting on being dissapointed for two seasons. From the field and concourses to my view of Minneapolis (temporary bleachers) and overall mistreatment by Viking fans, I can't wait til 2015 is over. But I am pretty pumped up about the upgrades.

Just leave the freakin "M" on the center of the field....that's all I'm saying. That should not be touched!

That was an interesting article. But what does "The hash marks customary in college football will be replaced with sidelines" mean? That makes no sense to me.

I really can't see them like painting the horn at midfield or something like that. No team has done that before when "borrowing" a college stadium. Obviously the hash marks will be a factor, but I really hope they don't try to put all this permanent type Vikings stuff on the stadium. They're only there two years, no need to make any big changes that will require a lot of work to remove after they leave.
I think whoever wrote that thinks that the dimensions are different for the pros and college. He probably thinks the NCAA plays on a 9-man field.

We're already giving the purple plague a stadium, don't let them bastardize ours also.

That's a good sign, that what the Vikings put in for game day will be removable, like when we had our temporary banners at the dome. The screens can be reprogrammed with a flip of a switch.

I think the hash marks will be painted on for the Vikings games rather than for the Gophers games. The Vikings will only be there two seasons. If the NFL hash marks are permanent, while the Gophers are temporary, the U would be painting hash marks for the life of the turf - painting on the Gophers hash marks, and painting over the NFL hashmarks. It's much simpler to paint on the NFL hash marks for Vikings games.

The Block M at midfield is too valuable as advertising for the U to give up. In any case, it would look ugly if they tried to paint the Vikings logo over it, they would have to use a lot of paint to cover the maroon.

The turf will have to be replaced when they install heating coils.

The turf will be replaced again after the Vikings are done playing at TCF. The costs will be covered by the Vikings.

I would assume it is cheaper to install a turf devoid on colored end-zones and logos. Hash mark differences have to be addressed.

I can't understand why the Vikes would want to put all their own logos on the field. It's not their stadium, why try to pretend. It only makes them look like a bully. Both teams are Minnesota teams. It's not like Chicago Bears/Illinois Bears. Leaving it maroon and Gold and MINNESOTA vs VIKINGS just brings attention the the fact the Vikings are getting a new billion dollar stadium(be sure to thank your local smokers).

I'm sure all Viking signage will be game day only. Bleachers in the west end will be the only Gopher game day difference.

The turf will be replaced again after the Vikings are done playing at TCF. The costs will be covered by the Vikings.

I would assume it is cheaper to install a turf devoid on colored end-zones and logos. Hash mark differences have to be addressed.

Could they replace the field with one that has interchangeable end zones and midfield logo? Then they could just roll up those parts on Saturday and roll down Vikings stuff for Sunday. It wouldn't fix the hash mark problem but they could just use temporary paint. The old Dome field had both college and pro hash marks all the time as I remember.

Could they replace the field with one that has interchangeable end zones and midfield logo? Then they could just roll up those parts on Saturday and roll down Vikings stuff for Sunday. It wouldn't fix the hash mark problem but they could just use temporary paint. The old Dome field had both college and pro hash marks all the time as I remember.

Interchangeable turf parts means temporary seams that are very dangerous. It's why there are no sliding areas for baseball in the Dome these days. If you notice the new Seibert Field has brown colored turf instead of real infield dirt.

The Dome field was painted, painted and repainted. Gophers, Vikings and Twins.

The only purple should be temporary banners on the end zone walls and the ribbon & scoreboard (see Vikings vs Bears in 2011)

If ya think about it, they will have 1 day to turn it from Gophers to Vikings and then a week to turn it back to Gophers. I'm sure everything will be alright by the time Saturday rolls around, anything that needs to be fixed can be done in 7 days to remove the purple from the field/stadium.

She updated the article to clarify the hash mark statement. It now reads:

The look of the field will change, too. The hash marks customary in college football will be replaced with narrower hash marks measured to the NFL's specifications, and it will be the first time that the venue will start painting its field.

The turf will be replaced again after the Vikings are done playing at TCF.

Where did you hear that....Replacing the turf twice in 2 years? Link?

Schnauzer,

Thanks for posting this, I've been looking for more information on what would happen and this is the best article I have read so much. I posted this information as a fan post over at The Daily Gopher and gave you credit as the source.

Fanpost at The Daily Gopher

Top Bottom