TRANSFER RUMOR UPDATED: Joe Coleman reportedly asks for scholarship release

ok.... I've got to say something....

What the hell is +1??? My gopherhole routine is looking at who the last post is...

Bleedgopher > must read in recruiting threads
GopherWarrior > Must read
that one guy with 26 charecters in his name > never read, but quoted and mocked....
Howieramone > never read as 90% of the time its a +#

Whats the reason? Is it a manual way to "like" a post, or is it like a self created rating system?

A manual way of liking a post. By nature of these boards, it will also bump the thread in question to the top of the threads on the main page.

It really makes no sense when your strength is open court basketball to leave now.

Agree. If Joe were to transfer, this isn't a basketball decision. It would be a personality conflict or something similar that would cause him to leave. IMHO, Joe is perfect for this system. Maybe he's being pushed out, which would be equally perplexing if it's a basketball decision. Joe has his limitations but in a chaotic environment of up-and-down and pressure basketball, he can thrive, as long as he's not handling the ball that frequently.

Which is a long way of saying Joe would be dumb to transfer out in most scenarios.

It really makes no sense when your strength is open court basketball to leave now.

In Coach P.'s running game, defense is your offense. Players who can fill the lanes and dunk, grow on trees. IMHO the minimum requirement is to be a defensive first player or 3 point shooter.

Agree. If Joe were to transfer, this isn't a basketball decision. It would be a personality conflict or something similar that would cause him to leave. IMHO, Joe is perfect for this system. Maybe he's being pushed out, which would be equally perplexing if it's a basketball decision. Joe has his limitations but in a chaotic environment of up-and-down and pressure basketball, he can thrive, as long as he's not handling the ball that frequently.

..............................................................................................^

I don't want Joe to leave, but if he did I wouldn't be as concerned as most. I think what Coleman did on this team last year is pretty easily replaced. His outside shot and ball handling both need a lot of work, and I believe those are the two assets that Pitino looks for the most from his guards on offense. Thinking that Joe would flourish in Pitino's system is being overblown IMO. You can't always be running up and down the court, especially in the big ten. Executing in the halfcourt is a must. We know Pitino likes the pick and roll and 3 point shot, niether of which fit Coleman at all. As far as I'm concerned, losing Coleman would hurt depth wise, but that's about it.

I don't want Joe to leave, but if he did I wouldn't be as concerned as most. I think what Coleman did on this team last year is pretty easily replaced. His outside shot and ball handling both need a lot of work, and I believe those are the two assets that Pitino looks for the most from his guards on offense. Thinking that Joe would flourish in Pitino's system is being overblown IMO. You can't always be running up and down the court, especially in the big ten. Executing in the halfcourt is a must. We know Pitino likes the pick and roll and 3 point shot, niether of which fit Coleman at all. As far as I'm concerned, losing Coleman would hurt depth wise, but that's about it.

Agree for the most part. I'd hate to lose him. But, watch Florida on offense (what we will run in the half court) and ask yourself how he fits. I mentioned above, questionable three point shooting hurts him in that offense.

That said, he has always seemed like a hard worker and I have no doubt he'd improve. He also is great at getting to the basket and finishing. He would certainly hurt to lose overall. I like our team better with him on it than off.

If any current Gopher BBaller makes such a decision, I have a reliable source close to the situation that has indicated that Gopher Basketball will still exist and succeed. Relax and enjoy the journey, sports fans.

If any current Gopher BBaller makes such a decision, I have a reliable source close to the situation that has indicated that Gopher Basketball will still exist and succeed. Relax and enjoy the journey, sports fans.

Who's your source?

A guard makes the most sense now that the position is so loaded. Mav/Coleman seem like the two with the most to lose with the new recruits coming in.

If I were a betting man, however, I'd bet on Wally Ellenson. He's the name I've expected the most. His parents comments made it seem like he was very put off by the way Minnesota handled the interim between Tubby and Pitino.

Mo Walker would also make sense. Pitino's system is a terrible fit for him.

Agree for the most part. I'd hate to lose him. But, watch Florida on offense (what we will run in the half court) and ask yourself how he fits. I mentioned above, questionable three point shooting hurts him in that offense.

That said, he has always seemed like a hard worker and I have no doubt he'd improve. He also is great at getting to the basket and finishing. He would certainly hurt to lose overall. I like our team better with him on it than off.

I was wondering about that. I played in a running scheme my sophomore year. We practiced our half court offense 15-20 minutes a week max. Our offense was whomever happened to end up with the ball would drive to the basket and miss. The other team would rebound and we would take it away from them and start all over again. It doesn't sound like much, but it was really fun to play.

I think it's pretty obvious that Doogie has absolutely zero sources.

This would seem like a pretty easy story to confirm or deny. He's essentially said that there are rumors that we will lose a player who has some starting experience (he didn't say "starter" as that would have eliminated Mav). Essentially he said absolutely nothing new and wasn't able to confim anything. Anyone who had any sources within the AAU circuit or anything else would have been able to come out with a line like "rumors are swirling amongst AAU coaches that Joe Coleman will transfer". But he wouldn't even go out on that protected limb.

Hey, he got his name on ESPN though.

Chris Monter (@collegebbnews) just tweeted: Sophomore wing Joe Coleman is expected to meet with Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino about his future with the team on Wednesday.

Somewhat confirms the rumors on here that Coleman may be looking to transfer.

Chris Monter (@collegebbnews) just tweeted: Sophomore wing Joe Coleman is expected to meet with Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino about his future with the team on Wednesday.

Somewhat confirms the rumors on here that Coleman may be looking to transfer.

So what that tells me, Mayne Street, is that if this is true, then Joe Coleman is a quitter. "I play or I transfer." Does anyone really think Coach Pitino is gonna put up with that $hit?

Is goodbye one word or two?

Pitino is going to need bodies to execute his style of play on a consistent basis. If someone is capable, they will be on the court. It's up to them to exhibit the ability and stamina to stay on the court. At this point, I dont see how either of the new players pass Coleman on the depth chart. Its up to him to keep it that way.

So what that tells me, Mayne Street, is that if this is true, then Joe Coleman is a quitter. "I play or I transfer." Does anyone really think Coach Pitino is gonna put up with that $hit?

Is goodbye one word or two?

No one knows anything about Pitino yet.

Seems so late in the year for a Sophomore transfer. Is Coleman going to graduate during the summer? What must have transpired over the last few weeks of practice for Coleman to move on? Wonder if Tubby is trying to get him to TT? I would think he is a kid that could excel for Pitino, especially as his shot continues to develop.

I hope he doesn't go. I know this board loves to bash players...but seriously. Joe C made huge strides from FR to SO year. His shot was coming around, he is a kid that can finish at the rim and is a MN kid that stayed home.

I want to see him play here the next two years, continue to work on his pull up jumper and 3 point shot (which both improved last year) and be a kid that is tied to our program for the rest of his life.

Bottomline is he is afraid he will not get enough minutes. If that is the case it might be best if he leaves. I would like to see him stay but unless he improves a lot he will never be a star. But a good role player. Joe must think he's more than that.

No one knows anything about Pitino yet.

I do. He is our Coach, and if a player tries to play him for a fool, shame on him.

This is not the time for a player to give a new Coach an ultimatum. This is the time for a "player" to step up and say, "Count me in and I can prove you right."

It's called competition and desire. You have it, or you don't.

ok.... I've got to say something....

What the hell is +1??? My gopherhole routine is looking at who the last post is...

Bleedgopher > must read in recruiting threads
GopherWarrior > Must read
that one guy with 26 charecters in his name > never read, but quoted and mocked....
Howieramone > never read as 90% of the time its a +#

Whats the reason? Is it a manual way to "like" a post, or is it like a self created rating system?

There's an ongoing contest to see which poster can get the most + points from their posts. The winner will get an all expense paid trip to Moorhead to hang out with Dr. Don for a week. Station19 is in the lead by a bunch because he always gets +19 scores instead of +1.

As for the rumor, I hope no one is leaving, especially not Coleman. He needs to be more consistent, but he has shown he is talented. I think he would be a great fit for Pitino's style of play. His best games the past two years came in up and down type of games.

There's an ongoing contest to see which poster can get the most + points from their posts. The winner will get an all expense paid trip to Moorhead to hang out with Dr. Don for a week. Station19 is in the lead by a bunch because he always gets +19 scores instead of +1.

GIH, you are right on the money. Parski has no chance, being he is one at a time.

I do. He is our Coach, and if a player tries to play him for a fool, shame on him.

This is not the time for a player to give a new Coach an ultimatum. This is the time for a "player" to step up and say, "Count me in and I can prove you right."

It's called competition and desire. You have it, or you don't.

That's slightly unfair. If a player committed purely to play for another coach, or if they feel that a different place would be better for them, that doesn't mean they aren't competitive or don't have desire. Kids make choices when they're 18 and things change. I had many friends transfer from their initial school- doesn't make them a bad person.

I hope nobody is leaving. But it's not hard to think of perfectly legitimate reasons why someone might want to (new coach, new system, etc) on top of just normal "kids transfer all the time" stuff.

As for the rumor, I hope no one is leaving, especially not Coleman. He needs to be more consistent, but he has shown he is talented. I think he would be a great fit for Pitino's style of play. His best games the past two years came in up and down type of games.

Great post. Even if he is the 6th man I think he will still get a good amount of playing time ! He will definitely be a great fit in Pitinos system!

I was wondering about that. I played in a running scheme my sophomore year. We practiced our half court offense 15-20 minutes a week max. Our offense was whomever happened to end up with the ball would drive to the basket and miss. The other team would rebound and we would take it away from them and start all over again. It doesn't sound like much, but it was really fun to play.

What years did you play for Tubby?

Top Bottom