TRANSFER RUMOR UPDATED: Joe Coleman reportedly asks for scholarship release

If state AAU coaches can't be a resource in Gopher recruiting the least they can do is keep their mouths shut and not start rumors.

This.

215- Pretty sure the Memphis deal was a joke.

This post alone is going to get you sent to my ignore list. Dre knows he is going to be the MAN on this team, Pitino has pretty much said as much. Plus, Dre has already said he IS NOT leaving.

Did Lindsey Whalen transfer when Shannon Schoenrock took over as pg?

My best guess:

The rumors are mixed up. Someone heard about Halvorsen, things got confused, and they conflated the rumor to include a scholarship player.

I don't think any transfer will happen but people are too quick to hammer Pewterschmidt. If a transfer happened now, it would have to be for one of two reasons:

1. the player knew he wasn't going to play or the coach desired him to leave. This could lead to Mav or Oto but they likely know the markets for their skill sets (low D-1 or D-2).

2. the player is not happy with the new coach and is good enough to choose a new school. Unfortunately this could fit Dre (but not Ausitn unless he has graduated). If he left, he would have to redshirt but would be able to land at a top 10 program for the next 3 years.

Again, before you rip me, I don't believe any transfer is coming and think the Halvorsen "transfer" has morped inot a new rumor, but Dre makes the most sense at this time.

This thread is ridiculously stupid.

I would be surprised to see Mav go his Senior year, but perhaps he wants to transfer and play a lot somewhere for his final season.
I'm not confident at all of JC being a good player . Not saying he won't, but he has ever been satisfied with his role, and I don't think he ever will be.
I don't think we have much chance for Henry after his Mom's comments about the transition. He'll have many good options.
As long as it is not EE, or either Hollins, I am fine. And there are at least four guys I would like to see transfer.

This.

215- Pretty sure the Memphis deal was a joke.
A joke. I suppose Coleman is who these rumors point to. It makes little sense to me. Dre and Andre Hollins are really the only two guys that are star type players we could not afford to lose.

This thread is ridiculously stupid.

Agreed, some of the speculation on here is just plain asinine.

Beyond Mo Walker, I fail to see any player on our roster who is a bad "fit" supposedly. Even in Mo's case, it's not like having a guy on roster who can be a banger down low is a problem when you play in our conference. You can't expect every game to be a track meet. I wouldn't be shocked to see someone go, but I can't image there's a lot of incentive for most of our guys to leave.

So it's too late to get more freshman now?

An NLI is optional. The signing dates are mostly irrelevant. McNeil couldn't sign an NLI with Minnesota. Same as guys that join a program after tomorrow. It's a non-issue.

PS - No time for a guy leaving a school is unheard of. It's only May. We'll know who is still on the roster on opening night. Until then, things can change.

Doogie just said on the radio that the name he is hearing is a player with starting experience. That leaves Mav or Coleman.

Doogie just said on the radio that the name he is hearing is a player with starting experience. That leaves Mav or Coleman.

Honestly, with Tubby's crazy and varying lineups I think every player has "starting experience" from some point in their careers.

I'd say we can fairly safely eliminate any upperclassmen who have previously redshirted. That'd take out Mo, EE, and Oto.

Honesty, those are probably the only three you can eliminate and even then they could go D2 and play right away or if they had an unknown reason for a waiver.

If I had to bet though I'd guess Joe. Not that I want him gone by any means, would love to have him stay. He is just the only one that fits all the pieces to me.

I just can't say Dre or Austin leaving. Buggs maybe as he is only a RS Freshman. Wally maybe as well, but I don't think he wants to extend his college career another year as he's said previously.

That only leaves Joe and he could be ruled out because he is playing at home for a team his brother played for and the style of play seems it could fit him well. Although, he isn't much of a three point shooter which I think will be important in our half court offense. Although, could probably find a way for it to work.

Would stink to lose a Sr this year as the chances if replacing that Sr with a one year player seems low. So you either bank it or lose a scholarship for 2014. But then again, scholarships seem to always take care of themselves.

ok.... I've got to say something....

What the hell is +1??? My gopherhole routine is looking at who the last post is...

Bleedgopher > must read in recruiting threads
GopherWarrior > Must read
that one guy with 26 charecters in his name > never read, but quoted and mocked....
Howieramone > never read as 90% of the time its a +#

Whats the reason? Is it a manual way to "like" a post, or is it like a self created rating system?

Rumors of a transfer leaving Gopher team

Honestly, with Tubby's crazy and varying lineups I think every player has "starting experience" from some point in their careers.

If you read between the lines to what he was saying you could almost get the feel that he was talking about Coleman, but then he could also be playing tricks and referencing Mav's time starting as a freshmen.

Whatever the case, we can conclude that the name he is hearing is Mav or Joe. He said he is waiting or a 2nd source before he runs with the name.

Coleman is a pulley guy too, hopefully he stays. I've always been a fan of both brothers.

IF there's a rumor that someone is transferring its perfectly normal to speculate on who it may be and why. To claim that people are being 'asinine' for doing so is ridiculous.

If you read between the lines to what he was saying you could almost get the feel that he was talking about Coleman, but then he could also be playing tricks and referencing Mav's time starting as a freshmen.

Whatever the case, we can conclude that the name he is hearing is Mav or Joe. He said he is waiting or a 2nd source before he runs with the name.

Added this after you quoted it. Just FYI

I'd say we can fairly safely eliminate any upperclassmen who have previously redshirted. That'd take out Mo, EE, and Oto.

Honesty, those are probably the only three you can eliminate and even then they could go D2 and play right away or if they had an unknown reason for a waiver.

If I had to bet though I'd guess Joe. Not that I want him gone by any means, would love to have him stay. He is just the only one that "fits" to me.

I just can't see Dre or Austin leaving. Buggs maybe as he is only a RS Freshman. Wally maybe as well, but I don't think he wants to extend his college career another year as he's said previously.

That only leaves Joe and he could be ruled out because he is playing at home for a team his brother played for and the style of play seems it could fit him well. Although, he isn't much of a three point shooter which I think will be important in our half court offense. Although, could probably find a way for it to work. He also has never really been known as "quick" or a good defender. He is strong and gets to the hoop and scored. Very good player still IMO. Plus he would undoubtedly be even better this year.

Would stink to lose a Sr or Jr this year though as the chances of replacing that Sr with a one year player seems low. So you either bank it or lose a scholarship for 2014. But then again, scholarships seem to always take care of themselves.

Coleman is a pulley guy too, hopefully he stays. I've always been a fan of both brothers.

Same here. I just think if it is a MN AAU coach leaking the rumors. It'd make sense it was a MN born player.

Would be interesting to see what the reason could be? It already seems Pulley hates the U, another Pulley transfer is the last thing we new with the talented players thy typically get.

I just notice too, if Coleman is the transfer we'd have zero Minnesota kids on the roster with Halvo leaving as well. Not that it matters all that much, just interesting.

A joke. I suppose Coleman is who these rumors point to. It makes little sense to me. Dre and Andre Hollins are really the only two guys that are star type players we could not afford to lose.

Which one is which?

There are whispers out of Minnesota that a player on the Golden Gophers could transfer out of the program.

No names are being mentioned yet, so this is mere speculation, but Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News is actively digging for more information on the rumor.

So far, Wolfson hasn't revealed much, but did indicate on Twitter that it's "not Andre (Hollins) from what I can gather."

If true, that has to be a big relief for Gophers fans; Hollins led the team in scoring (14.6 PPG), assists (3.4 APG), and along with Austin Hollins was one of the team's only 3-point threats on the roster a year ago, shooting a blistering 41.8 percent.

We'll continue to keep on eye out on this as more information surfaces.

Another 15 or maybe at least 5 minutes of fame for Doogie. Journalism at its finest.

IF there's a rumor that someone is transferring its perfectly normal to speculate on who it may be and why. To claim that people are being 'asinine' for doing so is ridiculous.

Sorry, I should clarify, some of the reasoning is asinine, not the actual speculating as I initially stated. That's what message boards are all about.

But some people are just seeming to make up random reasons why Player A or B would be the one to transfer. I get that we're all curious to know whether this is true or not, but do we really have to essentially push guys out the door cause we heard someone might be leaving?

I'm not confident at all of JC being a good player . Not saying he won't, but he has ever been satisfied with his role, and I don't think he ever will be.

Based on what? Seriously, what information, ever, has led you to believe this?

It's one thing to speculate that "Joe might not fit this team that well because of A and B and from the vantage point of having two years and a redshirt left, it might make sense" but to project the kid's attitude / mindset is too far IMO

ETA that I'm not intending to pick on you specifically, multiple others have alluded to this as well and it bothers me; it's not like I've seen any "attitude problems" or anything of that nature from JC

Coleman makes the most sense, the Gophers might be hurting defensively in certain situations at the 3 if he leaves, he is physical, active, and played pretty good defense, not sure who could fill that role as well is he did on the defensive side of the ball.

Coleman makes the most sense, the Gophers might be hurting defensively in certain situations at the 3 if he leaves, he is physical, active, and played pretty good defense, not sure who could fill that role as well is he did on the defensive side of the ball.

I'd argue that he only played pretty good defense when his offensive game was clicking. When he scored 29 at Illinois, I thought he had a better game on defense than offense. But when he wasn't scoring, his defense was uninspired and below average. I can't remember how many times I was yelling at the TV for Joe to get down in a proper defensive stance.

I'd really like to see Joe stay (assuming he's the potential transfer candidate). I think this system could benefit him greatly. Supposedly, he's a gym rat. I hope he's in the gym working on his jump shot and ball handling. He could be a great weapon on the wing in Pitino's offense.

Same here. I just think if it is a MN AAU coach leaking the rumors. It'd make sense it was a MN born player.

Would be interesting to see what the reason could be? It already seems Pulley hates the U, another Pulley transfer is the last thing we new with the talented players thy typically get.
The higher the profile program a Pulley guy goes I suppose the more it feeds the ego when you have Izzo or Coach K sucking up to you.

There are whispers out of Minnesota that a player on the Golden Gophers could transfer out of the program.

No names are being mentioned yet, so this is mere speculation, but Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News is actively digging for more information on the rumor.

So far, Wolfson hasn't revealed much, but did indicate on Twitter that it's "not Andre (Hollins) from what I can gather."

If true, that has to be a big relief for Gophers fans; Hollins led the team in scoring (14.6 PPG), assists (3.4 APG), and along with Austin Hollins was one of the team's only 3-point threats on the roster a year ago, shooting a blistering 41.8 percent.

We'll continue to keep on eye out on this as more information surfaces.

Amazing. There is no way this ESPN article would be written if it weren't for this thread. Good work ESPN.

It really makes no sense when your strength is open court basketball to leave now.

Top Bottom