TRANSFER RUMOR UPDATED: Joe Coleman reportedly asks for scholarship release

My point with McNeil was just to state that 5 years is so long from now that his first recruit will have already graduated (hopefully). The 2017-2018 basketball season will be Pitino's 5th year coaching at the U. Tim Brewster was fired during year 4. Tubby was fired after year 6. I'm not predicting anything about Pitino's tenure, just stating that we will all have a very good idea about the state of the Gopher basketball program under him by year 5.

Historically- you get a pretty good clue on a coach by the third year. I think it will be that way with Pitino. This year I am looking mainly at the brand of basketball, how hard they play, and how they improve over the course of the year. This fall I am looking at the recruited class- which will be perhaps 5 guys. Those two things will say a lot.

The coach won't be around long, won't deliver quickly, Vaughn and Travis back completely away because Coleman is gone and NCAA are coming after the program when the coach leaves.

Imagine what is going to happen by the time he actually coaches his first game for Minnesota. The outcome is unthinkable.

Jamiche will never be known as a glass half full guy. Despite that post, he is a pretty good basketball poster. He's a complete idiot on politics- totally clueless. :)

Jamiche will never be known as a glass half full guy. Despite that post, he is a pretty good basketball poster. He's a complete idiot on politics- totally clueless. :)

bga1, it is really funny how you are protecting Richard without knowing much about what he will do or has done. You did have an agenda against Tubby. Just admit it. As Tubby said about Richard, he didn't know what he was getting into. Monson failed here, Tubby failed here and Richard will fail here too. The problem is not coaches. It is the program. Your love-fest with Richard will run dry soon. He has failed to bring top Spring recruits here as did Tubby. What makes you think that Richard will do better than previous coaches? Joe has an iterest in joinging Tubby in TT. It is a huge loss for the Gophers any way you like to twist this departure.

Go Gophers

bga1, it is really funny how you are protecting Richard without knowing much about what he will do or has done. You did have an agenda against Tubby. Just admit it. As Tubby said about Richard, he didn't know what he was getting into. Monson failed here, Tubby failed here and Richard will fail here too. The problem is not coaches. It is the program. Your love-fest with Richard will run dry soon. He has failed to bring top Spring recruits here as did Tubby. What makes you think that Richard will do better than previous coaches? Joe has an iterest in joinging Tubby in TT. It is a huge loss for the Gophers any way you like to twist this departure.

Go Gophers

I'm glad I don't view the "real truth" so negatively. It'd be hard to be happy at the end of the day.

If losing Coleman is the worst thing that ever happens to us, we're in great shape.

Go Gophers

Real Truth- I was ecstatic when Tubby was named coach. I remained happy with him for probably three years. Over time I began to notice a level of stubborness, player defections and a persistently stagnant offense. So I never had an agenda against Tubby and I think as a human being he's a great guy. I had a goal of winning more than 9 games in the Big Ten in a year at least once every 5 years (too much to ask?).

As far as Pitino (to coin a Flip Saunders phrase) I am very excited by the recruiting energy and the idea of a more exciting brand of basketball. We'll see what happens. He hasn't proved anything yet, but I expect we will all be able to start drawing some conclusions over the next three years just as I did with Tubby three years in. I have supported every new coach that has come along since Bill Fitch when I started watching Gopher basketball. I supported Tubby until I didn't like what I saw and I will support Pitino until evidence tells me differently.

I have zero doubt that Pitino will recruit and coach a whole lot better then Tubby. He is tireless and can sell a very exciting style that players love. I think you will see by year three that he can have winning big ten records.

Real Truth- I was ecstatic when Tubby was named coach. I remained happy with him for probably three years. Over time I began to notice a level of stubborness, player defections and a persistently stagnant offense. So I never had an agenda against Tubby and I think as a human being he's a great guy. I had a goal of winning more than 9 games in the Big Ten in a year at least once every 5 years (too much to ask?).

As far as Pitino (to coin a Flip Saunders phrase) I am very excited by the recruiting energy and the idea of a more exciting brand of basketball. We'll see what happens. He hasn't proved anything yet, but I expect we will all be able to start drawing some conclusions over the next three years just as I did with Tubby three years in. I have supported every new coach that has come along since Bill Fitch when I started watching Gopher basketball. I supported Tubby until I didn't like what I saw and I will support Pitino until evidence tells me differently.

Beej, I think this is your best post ever. My sentiments are the same as yours. About three years into Tubby's tenure, I started noticing the things you mentioned. However, I attributed some of the incidents to outside influences, but the observation remains, that stagnancy prevailed. Thank you. Doc

Joe has an iterest in joinging Tubby in TT.

Go Gophers

Are you on crack? Coleman's conflicts with Tubby are well documented, and he almost transferred after his freshman year. If Coleman joins Tubby in Texas Tech, I think that would mean hell has frozen over.

If losing Coleman is the worst thing that ever happens to us, we're in great shape.

Agreed.

Go Gophers

I'm fairly new here, so I don't know how everything works. Can you tell me how to place people on my ignore list? That way, I'll never have to read what you say again, as this post is by far the worst I've ever read.

Thanks.

I'm fairly new here, so I don't know how everything works. Can you tell me how to place people on my ignore list? That way, I'll never have to read what you say again, as this post is by far the worst I've ever read.

Thanks.
+2 Can't believe after that rant he still posts the Go Gophers at the end.

Thanks.

It's not foolproof. If anyone quotes him, you'll have to manually ignore. I think that's how most of his posts get through.

My thoughts exactly. Gave Tubby plenty of leeway through the first four years or so. Noticed him checking out mentally during games in the fifth year and then this year, he appeared completely clueless on how to get his team to play with any sort of consistency during the Big Ten season. Much like I did with Tubby, I'm going to give Pitino plenty of leeway in the beginning. Have to let the man do his thing for a bit before making any judgments one way or the other.

To quote The-Real-Truth: "The Gophers program is wet, hot, smelly garbage. - Go Gophers"

To quote The-Real-Truth: "The Gophers program is wet, hot, smelly garbage. - Go Gophers"

And if Dan Monson coming off of sanctions and Tubby couldn't build a better program here, no one can!

Beej, I think this is your best post ever. My sentiments are the same as yours. About three years into Tubby's tenure, I started noticing the things you mentioned. However, I attributed some of the incidents to outside influences, but the observation remains, that stagnancy prevailed. Thank you. Doc

I noticed some issues with Tubby already in the first season, such as his insistence on having guards play a post-entered basketball and leaving their man wide open on the 3-point line, no matter the opponent. That was disturbing. His insistence on playing the energy-deficient Ralph Sampson over a seemingly better, and much higher-energy Colton Iverson, no matter the results, was the second big question mark. Thereafter, with the Royce White situation and all of the transfers (including Devoe, who had nothing to gain by quitting mid-season as opposed to after the season), and his continuous flirtations with other programs, I started to have sour feelings about his ability to coach the Gophers. After he picked up a slew of mediocre spring recruits a few years back instead of banking them for the next year, when he didn't need any of those players, I really didn't think he knew what he was doing. And yet, he coached the team to a great start this year, and I always kept hope. And then he entirely lost control of his team. And that was the end.

I noticed some issues with Tubby already in the first season, such as his insistence on having guards play a post-entered basketball and leaving their man wide open on the 3-point line, no matter the opponent. That was disturbing. His insistence on playing the energy-deficient Ralph Sampson over a seemingly better, and much higher-energy Colton Iverson, no matter the results, was the second big question mark. Thereafter, with the Royce White situation and all of the transfers (including Devoe, who had nothing to gain by quitting mid-season as opposed to after the season), and his continuous flirtations with other programs, I started to have sour feelings about his ability to coach the Gophers. After he picked up a slew of mediocre spring recruits a few years back instead of banking them for the next year, when he didn't need any of those players, I really didn't think he knew what he was doing. And yet, he coached the team to a great start this year, and I always kept hope. And then he entirely lost control of his team. And that was the end.

This is not true, and has been previously discussed on this board ad nauseam. Once the B1G season ended, I was in complete agreement a change needed to be made, but Orlando did not deliberately sabotage the program as you infer. I strongly recommend you move on and enjoy the excitement currently being generated by Coach P. and staff.

Go Gophers!

The thing that bugged me about Tubby was his insistence on using a big lineup. And it still bugs me even more to read about it here.

It would be something if we were more talented than other teams, but we're not. So when you're less talented AND slower than the other team, it's a lethal combination. Everyone wants to look at how we're so much smaller than other B1G schools right now while ignoring the fact that we are probably a lot quicker than them.

This is not true, and has been previously discussed on this board ad nauseam. Once the B1G season ended, I was in complete agreement a change needed to be made, but Orlando did not deliberately sabotage the program as you infer. I strongly recommend you move on and enjoy the excitement currently being generated by Coach P. and staff.

Go Gophers!

He didn't do it deliberately. He did it because he thought he needed those players to fill holes in the roster. The problem is, he either misjudged the talent or signed them out of desperation. He should have simply banked at least some of those scholarships. I understand you might have to suck it up and deal with a sub-par recruit because you have no back-up at a position. But we definitely did not need both Armelin and Ahanmisi. We never needed Oto.

Thanks.

bad idea.. if you start ignoring, you will soon be only reading/responding to your own stuff.

Go Gophers!

"Sabotage"? Who the hell is talking sabotage(other than you)? Tubby simply wasn't all that great of a basketball coach; at least not at Minnesota. Period.

He wasn't dealt the finest hand in the world to work with, but failed to have even one season that would meet the expectations of a coach that highly regarded (and that highly paid). Displaying obvious flaws in his gameplan, some strange personnel decisions, and combined with the passionless portrayal that, perhaps, he never really wanted to be here, and over his career here he was exposed as just an average big school ball coach come B1G season each and every year.

Add not playing Bostic when the team was clearly better with him on the floor, whatever happened with Joseph after he carried the team to the NCAA tournament the year before. Player evaluations and playing time were continually a mystery throughout his tenure.

Add not playing Bostic when the team was clearly better with him on the floor, whatever happened with Joseph after he carried the team to the NCAA tournament the year before. Player evaluations and playing time were continually a mystery throughout his tenure.

Like you Gopherholer's keep telling me....Tubby's gone get over it and move on!

The thing that bugged me about Tubby was his insistence on using a big lineup. And it still bugs me even more to read about it here.

It would be something if we were more talented than other teams, but we're not. So when you're less talented AND slower than the other team, it's a lethal combination. Everyone wants to look at how we're so much smaller than other B1G schools right now while ignoring the fact that we are probably a lot quicker than them.

Pitino is going to use the same. Except instead of using a large lineup and playing the slowest offense you may have ever seen, Pitino will press and push the tempo up. Remember that Minn/Wisc game this year? Oh man.

Pitino is going to use the same. Except instead of using a large lineup and playing the slowest offense you may have ever seen, Pitino will press and push the tempo up. Remember that Minn/Wisc game this year? Oh man.

Pitino isn't going to be able to push Wisconsin.

Scoop Central

"• Ex-Gophers two-guard Joe Coleman is said to have interest from Oregon and Boston College, among others. Possibly Baylor too. Iowa State could also be in the mix, but one source said they're currently too guard-heavy.

• In spite of the public stance, Gophers sources insist they're ok with Coleman's decision to leave, and that he doesn't fit into Pitino's three-guard system and lacks the toughness and shooting touch that Pitino badly covets."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...rry_Kill_still_on_Teague_Gophers_agenda051613

Top Bottom